Enjoy Free Museums This Summer

May 30, 2014 | Kate Horrell

The 2014 Blue Star Museums program has begun, offering military families free admission to over 2,000 museums around the country.  Eligible patrons include active duty, National Guard and reserve members and their families.  The program runs from Memorial Day, 26 May 2014 through Labor Day, 1 September 2014.  Participating organizations cover a huge range of subjects, including art, history, children’s, horticultural, aquatic, country, aviation, culture, industrial and government museums.

An interactive map can be found at the National Endowment for the Arts Blue Star Museums webpage.

Blue Star Museums partnership between the National Endowment for the Arts, Blue Star Families, the Department of Defense.  This is the fifth summer of the Blue Star Museums program, and it continues to grow each year.  I hope you will be able to take advantage of this program.

Comments

1. bearkins1969 says:

I was wondering how to email you. I saw a post where a woman asked about first wife benefits. I thought if if you could email me with the specifics of what kind of info you need to answer me.

What I am wondering is, I am a former military wife. I would like to find out if I am eligible to get any benefits when he retires. I heard a rumor that I would get some of his benefits when he retires.

Thank you ahead of time for reading and hopefully responding to me. bearkins1969

• Kate says:

Ma'am, you can always email by clicking on the Tell Kate link in the left hand column. That will send an email to me.

With regard to benefits, there are only two situations in which you would be eligible for anything. First is if you were married for 20 years that overlapped your military spouse's active service. The second is if your divorce decree orders a division of retired military pay.

I hope that helps.

2. bearkins1969 says:

howdie. Thank you for getting back to me. I was told it was 15 years. Oh well, the other criteria fit, but… nothing I can do.

Thank you very much for letting me know. Bear

3. Jean Jack says:

I am a surviving spouse. Widowed nine years. Started to fill out the veteran status and then stopped because I didn't feel I fit any of the criteria. My family has sacrificed so much and don't really belong anywhere.

• Kate says:

Dear Jean, I am sorry for your loss. I am not sure what you mean by "veteran status," but you do belong to an honorable and growing group.

You may find friendships and support from any of the following organizations:

American Widow Project http://www.americanwidowproject.org

The American Widow Project is dedicated to the new generation of those who have lost heroes of yesterday, today and tomorrow, with an emphasis on healing through sharing stories, tears and laughter Military Widow to Military Widow.

F.I.N.E. Young Widows http://www.fineyoungwidows.com

F.I.N.E. Young Widows provides empowerment, support and healing for young widows nationwide.

Gold Star Wives of America http://www.goldstarwives.org

Gold Star Wives Of America is an organization of military widows/widowers whose spouse died while on active duty or from service connected disabilities.

Got Your Back Network http://www.gotyourbacknetwork.org

Provides services and events for Gold Star spouses and children.

Society of Military Widows http://www.militarywidows.org

Provides moral support, referrals for services, and advice to widows of deceased military personnel of all ranks.

{{hugs}}

4. Kimberly Dunn says:

I am a wife of a retired Army, I would like to know if there are any offers for us/ he served our country just like all the ones who get to enjoy all the free offers, pretty disheartening .pleas get back to me

• Kate says:

There are literally 100s of discounts and programs for retired military, and also for veterans in general. I couldn't possibly list them all here. If you are looking for something in particular, you can do an internet search on "retired military discount" or "veteran discount."

Please keep in mind that these programs and discounts are being generously offered by the individual organizations or companies. They have the right to structure their offers however they want.

We have a lot of readers on this site who complain that they aren't eligible for this discount or that discount. I, personally, find this embarrassing and selfish. I'm not eligible for a seniors discount at Denny's, and I don't think it is appropriate for me to complain about it. I'm not eligible for in-state tuition in Oregon, and I don't think it is appropriate for me to complain about it. I am thankful for whatever deals I am offered.