The Pat Tillman Foundation Military Scholars program application period has opened and is accepting applications until 6 March 2014. While only six years old, the Tillman Military Scholars Program has provided over $4.1 million in scholarships to 290 recipients.
This scholarship is only available to currently serving members, veterans, and the spouses of currently serving and veterans. Students must be pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree as a full-time student, and must be attending a school based in the United States. Distance learners and online programs are eligible if they are full-time programs.
The applicants are evaluated on the following criteria, per the website:
- Educational and career ambitions
- Record of military service and/or community impact as a military spouse
- Record of personal achievement
- Demonstration of service to others in the community
- Desire to continue to serve others and make a positive impact on your community
- Leadership potential
- Compelling, thoughtful, genuine and thorough essay question responses
It’s a very generous scholarship with no specific dollar amount. The foundation considers the family’s overall financial picture and awards an amount that can be used for tuition, fees, books, transportation and reasonable living expenses. Average awards are $11,000 per scholar, per year.
In addition to the financial benefits, the Tillman Foundation supports it scholars through a wide variety of opportunities including invitations to attend a wide variety of leadership and military student conferences and events. It sounds like you would gain a lot of valuable contacts from the various events that the Tillman Foundation supports.
The scholarship may be renewed each year provided the scholar:
- maintains a 3.0 grade point average,
- continue on pace to graduate on time,
- maintains full-time status,
- participates in community service,
- participates in Tillman Foundation events in their area, and
- documents appropriate use of prior funds.
The application closes on 6 March 2014. Don’t delay in applying for this generous scholarship!