It is definitely the time of year for scholarships. It feels like I can not open my email without finding another new scholarship, and that is great for those of you who are trying to figure out how to pay for school.
The Virginia Advisory Council on Military Education (VA-ACME) is offering $1,000 scholarships to five categories of military-related students. All applicants must be attending a regionally or nationally accredited institution of higher education operating in the Commonwealth of Virginia and certified by SCHEV (State Council of Higher Education for Virginia). Each category has additional eligibility requirements. The categories are:
- Active duty, drilling reservist, or National Guard
- Spouse of active duty, drilling reservist, National Guard, or military retiree
- Child of active duty, drilling reservist, National Guard, or military retiree
- Permanently disabled military member, or spouse or child thereof, or spouse or child of service member missing or killed in action
- Veteran or retiree.
For complete information and application information, see the application at the VA-ACME website. You will need letters of recommendation, unofficial transcripts, evidence of enrollment, and the completed application. Proof of military status will not be required until the awards have been determined.
All VA-ACME scholarship applications and attachments must be emailed by
February 28, 2014. Awardees will be notified in early March 2014 by phone and by e-mail.
Additional notes include:
- All payments will be made directly to the institution.
- Only one application per person will be accepted, regardless of the number of categories for which you are eligible.
- You can verify your school’s eligibility at http://www.schev.edu.
For a complete list of the scholarships featured here at The Paycheck Chronicles, you can click on the Education link in the categories section at the bottom of the right sidebar. As always, please let me know if you are awarded any of these scholarships. I want to help you celebrate!