2014 Basic Allowance for Subsistence

commissary freezer

Long at last, the 2014 Basic Allowance for Subsistence (BAS) rates have been released.  The 2014 rates are 1.5%  higher than the 2013 rates, which means that the actual rates are:

Enlisted: $357.55 per month, a $5.28 increase over the 2013 rate of $352.27 a month.

Officers: $246.24, a $3.64 increase over the 2013 rate of $242.60 a month.

These higher rates are effective 1 January 2014 and will be reflected in the 15 January 2014 paycheck.  This BAS increase is smaller than most people expected and significantly lower than the 3.4% increase proposed by President Obama in the 2014 Fiscal Year Budget Proposal.

BAS is an allowance paid to every military service member to defray the cost of their meals.  It is not designed to pay for the meals of families.  Because BAS is paid, military members may be charged for their meals provided by the Department of Defense.

If you are reading this because you searched for the 2014 BAS rates, could you please leave a comment and tell me why you are searching.  BAS rates is one of the most frequently searched terms here at The Paycheck Chronicles, and it remains popular all year long.  While I understand wanting to look it up to learn it the first time, I do wonder about how many people are searching for it across the year.  If you can share the reason why you are searching, it will help me to better meet your needs.  Thanks!

And a great big thank you to Dan, who provided me with the link to find the rates.  If you click on the link it immediately opens in a PDF on your computer.  Don’t be waiting for it to open in your webpage like I did.

About the Author

Kate Horrell
Kate Horrell is a military financial coach, mom of four teens, and Navy spouse. She has a background in taxes and mortgage banking, and a trove of experience helping other military families with their money. Follow her on twitter @realKateHorrell.

52 Comments on "2014 Basic Allowance for Subsistence"

1. I search for it throughout the year because for some dumb reason it’s included in income for school lunch and for pell grant information. Don’t get it since it is only intended for the servicemembers and not the family. But I digress.

2. I look it up because I'm too lazy to look a mypay, since it's become the same hassle as all other military sites.

3. Looking up to see the increase for the new year.

4. Jennyfer Martinez-Sanchez | January 6, 2014 at 4:13 pm |
  5. I know the BAS rate for the new year, but I was looking to see if the "meal deduction" they take back out for barracks galley eating was a posted number. For 2013 it was 310.00 at my barracks. I guess it's not published…I'll have to stop being impatient and wait to look at my LES in 5 days. :)

6. bri – it did go up slightly to $10.15/day so it will be $314.65 for January. You can see the Discount Meal Rate at http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/site/faqmeal.cfm

7. I check the new rates at the beginning of the year, this just happened to be the site i selected from google.

Throughout the year i check my LES to make sure its accurate, i may reference a site like this during these times as well to make sure im getting the proper amount in mypay.

8. Thank you for all the answers…I have always wondered why something so consistent would continue to be popular all year long. Now I know! Y'all are the best!

9. Just to see the new BAS rates, and I learned BAS is the same for everybody. Glad to see offices earn less in one category too.

10. Can BAS be back dated if the unit failed yo do the paperwork properly? If so how far back?

11. is bas an extra income when you are married or does it still show as a deduction like when youre living in the barracks?

12. I looked it up b/c we are PCSing and I was trying to remember all the entitlements for budgeting purposes. We're trying to save on this move since we're not buying!

13. I looked it up to try to figure out a monthly budget for after i get married to my fiance this summer. He didn't know as he currently eats at the DFAC.

14. Moving back stateside after being over seas for 8 years….I feel so out of touch with the US. Trying to figure out what exactly our pay will be once myself and kids get back stateside and Hubby is in Korea for a year. We are planning on purchasing a home since the rental market is absolutely outrageous where we are going. Do you know if we will still get BAS if he is in Korea? Not sure what all we are entitled to and if it is different with him being in Korea. Thank you for the post.

15. I looked it up to see what the rate is, and to get info on getting it transferred from the chow hall.

16. Looked it up for my airman son who just told me next month he will no longer get to eat free at the DFAC but will instead get about $300/month in BAS.

17. Hubby just made officer, so curious what the new BAS would be!

18. looked up to see how much it was

19. Queen Mary Tapic | March 20, 2014 at 4:08 pm |

"THANK YOU MY MILITARY ACADEMY FOR ALL YOU GOOD OPPORTUNITIES & GREAT BENEFITS!!!" CPT.*****

20. I looked it up to understand what it means. It's listed as an entitlement, then deducted. There also a deduction for Meals. I'm confused how this work. It looks like I'm paying twice for meals.

21. is there anyway to get the BAS pay instead of DFAC?

22. Jacquelne Ambrose | May 12, 2014 at 8:14 am |

I am a new spouse to someone stationed at Fort Bragg, NC. I am living in KY until the end of this week, My spouse asked me to quit my job and move there with less than 11 days of notice of the moving date. I will have no job and no income, I also have a two year old. I am concerned about his paycheck due to he is an E3. I do plan on getting a job once I am there but not sure how long that will take. In the mean time we will have to buy groceries for the apartment and still pay both of our normal bills that are due. I looked at FSSA and was trying to figure out how and where you would apply for it. I am not sure what BAS is I am still trying to figure out how all this works. If anyone has any advice that would be great thanks

23. IT1(SW/IDW) Woo | May 22, 2014 at 10:37 pm |

Going through a divorce. Judge is asking for the exact components of my military pay, what each portion of the Navy Leave and Earnings Statement means, and to divide my pay in half with an blatantly unfaithful wife.

24. I am not in the army or have a family member currently serving. I was misinformed that BAS was being slashed by one third only to find this information was from January 2013 and apparently never happened. I'm not American, but I believe in free food for every person alive, including shelter, clean water and electricity. We have to pay to live on this planet. If we do not, we are left to die. This is slavery. The system should support a free living for all things living policy. No man left behind.

25. Lorenzo Kimber | June 2, 2014 at 9:59 pm |

I am actually trying to look into applying for an increase in BAS. I was talking to my CO and he told me that there is a new program out that allows soldiers in special situations to apply for an increase in BAS as opposed to receiving food stamps or something. I am young E5 and we decided to adopt my wife's 15 year old sister to basically save her life, and I shouldn't have to tell you all how hard it is out here theses days, these kids require so much. Also, I have two sons, a 3 yr old and a 3 mth old. To anyone with anything negative to say you can go f&^k yourself, but if anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it.

26. My most up-to-date FSSA post is here: http://paycheck-chronicles.military.com/2014/02/1… Your family may be eligible for this allowance and it would be a big help.

If you are not eligible for FSSA, be sure to check out WIC. Also, you can get financial education at your base's family service center. Sometimes having fresh eyes look at your spending can help find things that you haven't even noticed.

Good luck to you!

27. I am searching because my boyfriend and I plan on getting married in January 2015. I am just trying to find out all information that I can such as: housing allowance and food allowance. So I can start budging before we get married and moved in together. I don't want to start to make dumb financial mistakes and blame it on age since we are in our early 20s!

28. My reason for researching BAS rates was to verify the difference between enlisted to officer, for my husband will be making this transition once he completes his training. Thank you for the direct comparison.

29. I look it up to see if I qualify for it

30. Im a Geo bachelor living in the barracks, my question is am I still entitled to BAS?

31. Looked for the info for a family member who just went on active duty. Thanks for the information. One question: is this a tax free allowance like BAH or is it taxable income.

A 1.5% increase is better than no increase, but inflation in food prices over the last year feels more like it's in the 10%-15% range.

32. William corgnell | July 31, 2014 at 9:55 pm |

My question is why do the enlisted pay more than the officers when the officers get paid more

33. Looked it up as a suggestion from a GIJobs article on hard to replace military benefits. I am a new spouse, so I am trying to learn as much as I can, especially to explain to my parents how important benefits are, and how much we do get with my husband being enlisted. They keep trying to suggest he go officer.

34. How does this BAS-ENL work during AIT? My son is doing the Reserves split-option, and he did Basic last summer. Over this past year, he has been drilling, and he finally paid off the debt from where they over-paid him a month after Basic was over. So… now he is in AIT, and the first LES he received has his debt balance as zero…but now, he gets another LES that has "BAS-ENL" listed as an "unpaid debt balance" of $877.98. My understanding is that the BAS-ENL is for food during AIT or something like that, but that they don't have to actually pay for their food when eating at the DFAC. How in the world does this work??

35. I was looking to see if it would say whether or not my husband would get to keep his BAS if we move on base. We are trying to figure out whether we're better off buying a house or moving on base.

36. Looking because my fiance and I are trying to figure out if getting married while he's still serving will help us pay our bills. I think it's ridiculous that it doesn't go up with dependents, but I suppose it's better than no help!

37. I looked for this info because my son is enlisted in the Air Force in tech school at Fort Sam Houston. I'm sure he is in info overload but currently is not clear how much his meals in the dining facility cost. He knows it will come from his pay check but doesn't sound like he understands the specifics of the BAS process.

38. I have a question I was hoping I could get an answer my husband went to ROTC for the field for a month now and he told me that they are taking his BAS away from our paycheck is that true?

39. Can BAS be sent to my gilf friends bank account ?

40. I searched because my daughter is getting married to someone in the army and he has talked about BAS & BAH and I was wondering on the amounts with them trying to make a budget and move out. Thanks!

41. I looked it up because I'm researching why BAS is given but it's not entirely taken (deducted). There's something like $30 or $40 left for the member. What is the purpose of not taking all of it? The question is part of my larger question of should Airmen receive missed meals due to the DFAC closing breakfast down on weekends. They now serve brunch 11 – 1.

42. I looked up BAS b/c my wife won't let me see her paychecks so i'm doing my own research to see how much she actually gets since I get a very small portion/allowance and all the money that goes into her account is all public knowledge. I am also trying to figure out what monies is given to her for her job vs what monies are allotted for family as a dependent.

43. heather moore | October 28, 2014 at 6:05 pm |

Anyone know if my husband was at school for 2 months if they take all the BAS out at once or is it broken up?

44. I looked this up since my barracks are overflowing and single Sergeants at my unit are now able to put BAH packages in. (Googling this was less painful that logging into mypay)

45. I'm going to be mobilizing and I'll be transitioning from reserve to active. Trying to get the information so that I can create an updated budget while I'm overseas.

46. i was seeing if food cost more in some places than others just ilke your bah changes i thought bas would too based off where you live.

47. I work for a mortgage company and check it annually to know what income can be used to qualify (in addition to base pay and BAH).

48. Looked it up to find out why we never actually receive the BAS. It all gets taken out of the pay before we ever see it, but the problem with that is that my husband eats ALL of his meals in our home. Is that normal? It's doing nothing to help with the costs of my husbands eating habits since he never eats on the ship.

49. My son enlisted in the Navy (I'm retired Navy). Was looking for information on how BAS $$ move from service member's pay to account for meals taken in a galley or aboard ship?

50. I'm trying to find out how you apply for it

51. taking a tax preparation class and was asked if Basic Allowance for Subsistence is included in Gross Income on Federal Tax Return

52. I searched for it because ship based officers are charged approximately $10/day to eat while aboard the ship. Quick math will demonstrate that $250/month is not sufficient to cover the cost of meals during deployment. I would rather they took my prorated BAS underway than charge me the "Wardroom Dues".

Comments are closed.