Retirement and Disability Pay In A Government Shutdown

Money in a jar.

This information is from the 2013 government shutdown.  It remains accurate, even though experts are no longer predicting that the government is going to shutdown in October 2015.

Updated 4 October 2013:  Please see additional information at Military Pay Not Safe Forever (Nor Retired, nor Disability, nor…)

Updated 1 October 2013:  Please see additional information below about the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Obviously, it’s not just currently serving military folks who are concerned about the possibility of a government shutdown.  Thousands of others receive monthly payments as the result of their military service, or the military service of a spouse or parent.  Will these payments be affected if the government is shut down?

Unfortunately, there are two parts to every answer because our country is facing two separate crises:  The budget and the debt ceiling.  The two issues have different effects on everything.  The short answer is:  it depends on why the government has shut down.

Retirement Pay and SBP Payments

Military retirement pay and Survivor Benefit Plan (SBP) annuity payments are considered an entitlement and is not funded by annual appropriations and authorizations.  Therefore, they would not be affected by the lack of budget or continuing resolution.  Should the country hit the debt ceiling, however, there is the possibility that retirement and SBP payments could be delayed or reduced.

In short, the October payments expected on 1 October 2013 will not be affected.  It is possible that the 1 November 2013 payments could be affected if the government hits the debt ceiling and does not come to an agreement about how to proceed.

Veterans Affairs Payments

Updated 1 October 2013:  First, I want to assure you that I am not trying to scare people.  I have been receiving a lot of comments that I am just trying to stir the pot, and that the things I’ve discussed will never happen.  While we all want our country to run smoothly, it doesn’t always work that way.  Knowing the situation is half the battle towards a solution.

Well, well… the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) has changed its tune just a little bit.  The VA is now saying that if a government shutdown lasts more than a few weeks, it will run out of money to continue its payments for disability, Dependency and Indemnity Compensation, GI Bill and Dependent Educational Assistance payments.  And this is before we even get to  potential debt ceiling issues.

While it is unlikely that the government shutdown will last long enough to actually impact these payments, please don’t become complacent.  This is a potentially huge issue for a portion of our population that may have limited ability to cut costs or generate other income.

There are variety of payments that are administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), including disability , Dependency and Indemnity Compensation, GI Bill , and Dependents Educational Assistance.  These payments should not be affected by the lack of budget, but they are in the same boat if we hit the debt ceiling.  As the Treasury struggles to prioritize and pay the country’s expenses, Veterans Affairs Payments could be delayed or reduced.

In short, the October payments should not be affected.  However, future payments could be delayed if the government is unable to find a resolution to the debt crisis.

In general, these types of payments are safe in the event there is no budget or continuing resolution.  However, the debt ceiling issue is entirely different and unpredictable.  I will keep you up-to-date as more guidance is issued.

About the Author

Kate Horrell
Kate Horrell is a military financial coach, mom of four teens, and Navy spouse. She has a background in taxes and mortgage banking, and a trove of experience helping other military families with their money. Follow her on twitter @realKateHorrell.

119 Comments on "Retirement and Disability Pay In A Government Shutdown"

1. I called USAA today & asked specifically about their policy. They told me that if the gov't shuts down & the military doesn't get paid, military members banking with USAA will get a notice. You have to respond to the notice which will activate the no-interest pay advance. To calculate the advance, they take an average of your last 2 DFAS direct deposits & advance you that much.

2. Thanks for clarifying, mama! There are so many little nuances, everyone's situation is bound to be different.

3. you better believe the president , congress and many in dc will get paid one way or another. they also are not worried about health care

4. Thank you for posting. I had no idea who to ask about my VA benefits and a budget or debt ceiling situation.

5. Navy Federal will also pay those who have them as a bank active or reservists and also vets.

6. Military retirees will get paid on 1 Oct 2013 no matter what Congress does.

7. Thanks so much for the info. I have been wondering how it would affect me since I'm retired from the Army but also 100% disabled.

8. You choose this line of work …( there is no draft) you must deal with the pay problems as do teachers factory workers ect….if you dont like it go on strike..,,oh thats right you signed away that basic freedom….and im not uneducated, im a college grad.that now does cross country trucking to bring you and yours everything you have.

9. Here is our problem. Our country is not the only thing to which we owe our allegiance. It is also owed to justice and to humanity. Patriotism consists not in waving the flag, but in striving that our country shall be righteous as well as strong. Without controlling the borders, without controlling government handouts, and without controlling the dumbos that are ruining our country, we will be a country that bows to others. We are not far from that. I served my time and retired. I read, "go on Strike", do you think that is the only solution? Take one bad and turn it into two? I chose to continue with the government after I spent my time in the military. Yes, I chose but that doesn't mean that the people running this country can run it anyway they wish. There are supposed to be checks and balances in place to prevent these ridiciulous movements of Government. To Quote former President Reagan, "The Government is the Problem". We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home. Let's take care of us first!!

10. I am a disabled vet. my husband is also a retired Vet. We put our lives on hold for the better of all people. Yes by choice. However, we believe that if you enjoy the freedoms of this country you should support it the best way you can; if that is not the military so be it. But investing in your country means a better tomorrow for all. I am frustrated however, because of congress not coming to a better solution because it affects all of us.

11. 1williamwillie | September 30, 2013 at 3:32 pm |

as far as im concerned shutter down but make sure the folks in washington and any other politician receives no pay, benifits, free lunch, free laundry service, free limo rides and all that stuff.

12. I'm also retired. Had a great career, raised a fine family. Missed birthdays, funerals, aniversaries, and spent to much time away from those who meant the most to me. The military was and is a good way of life for a lot of people. We are not smarter than those that choose not to serve, we are just different. We tend to believe in a better country for our children and grandchildren. We want a strong country. I don't like being viewed as a soft nation. We need to stand behind our troop today as others stood behind us. They deserve no less than our best effort.

13. Does anyone know if retired pay and disability pay will continue during the govt shutdown? Retired and 100% disabled and wondering if I will get my checks that support my family.

14. I regard military retirement as deferred compensation for the sacrifices of a military career rather than as an "entitlement" because it is not a handout, it is an earned reward for service. In the long term it'd be much better if the government treated military retirement pay similar to a contractual obligation rather than as an entitlement (after all, govt contracts are protected from a shut down too).

15. what about just Disabled person..not vet or retired vet.. just regular person on the street getting disability checks…? ? ? ?

16. Dinasue, if you are receiving social security disability, you would still receive your check. I am a 24 year retiree, and I am appalled that our leaders in DC cannot come to some kind of agreement on the budget. I listened to the President's speech a little while ago, and it seems that our leaders are behaving like children because they can't get their way. I would love some of them to leave their families and serve as most of us had, and see how they feel about their pay getting delayed. Of course, that won't happen because some of them have no clue or concept of what it means to serve their country. Of course, they think that they are serving now, but they have forgotten that they are there to serve the people who elected them, and not themselves.

17. Many years ago a governor of a Pacific Northwest state had a legislature that would not pass a budget and decided to go home. It sent out the state police.and brought them back, put them in the capitol building, turned off the water, heat, and electricity. Would not let any food or water brought into them. They passed a budget that everyone in the state could live with in short time. The President should do a similar thing to our Congress. If they act like children, treat them like children. No food, no drink, no conveniences. Enough of them would pass a budget and funding that the country could live with.

18. I'm retired from the UPS. Will my retirement benefits be effected by Govenment shutdown?

19. My name is Arlene Kreps I was wondering if Civilian Retirement will be affected?

20. John South Carolina | October 1, 2013 at 12:48 am |

I am as well a disabled vet! I bleed red, white, and blue! I am a true patriot! I can care less about my disability check. If it will help our country get back on track, in the right direction with the right people running it, by all means, keep it! We as Americans have a right to have our voice heard! What happened to the government is for the people, by people? Instead we have politicians trying to pad there pockets for the long haul! All of our representatives are behaving in an unspeakable manner and are not acting as if they give a whip whether or not our country is in a down spiral. Why can't we as people have a say in our government instead of all these Monkeys dressed in suits speaking for us Americans that truly care and love our country? It is just disgusting the way our country is being run the way it is!

21. The problem with this Congress as compared to past Congress is in a nut shell this: You can count on 1 hand the number of veterans serving in Congress. These "johnny come latelys" don't understand the sacrifice our troops, past and present, have given to this country. They have no concept of what it means to be deployed from our family and friends. If I could I would send everyone to a three month rotation through every service (3 months on a forward deployed USN ship, 3 months with a forward deployed USMC unit, 3 months to a forward deployed AF wing, 3 months with forward deployed USA unit, 3 month deployment on a USCG cutter); then maybe they would understand the military man/woman.

22. US NAVY Vet | October 1, 2013 at 2:14 am |

Personally – I think if you don't have the integrity to serve our country in uniform, you shouldn't be allowed to serve in Government.

23. Jeff So Cal | October 1, 2013 at 2:16 am |

C'mon People, Please! Let us allow our Senate and House Children to make their fair share of mistakes. Now that we've done that, and they have not progressed beyond the stage of adolescence, maybe it is time for them to feel the "Power of The Vote". Lets put them in their place, or should I say, out of it. Try and remember which turds smelled the worst come next election time

24. Jeff Reidel | October 1, 2013 at 4:24 am |

Just wondering…. how many senators and congressmen will loose a paycheck now that the government has apparently shut down? dumb question I know because NONE of them will loose a penny. even though 99.9%of them don't even need it. they like the power the position gives them. Because no one in their right mind spends millions of dollars to get a job that only pays at most a couple hundred thousand dollars a year. why not use that power the way it was intended. if you are in the federal government legislature you should be looking out for ALL AMERICAN people. do we want to be good humanitarians, of course we do, but when the people at home are in need why are we spending so much elsewhere??? If I cant buy food for my family I DON'T go out to dinner and pay to feed the neighbors. If I have extra I am more than willing to help out someone in need, but come on people take care of your AMERICAN family FIRST.
    Sorry for ranting but this budget thing has been going on way to long. when was the last time we had an approved budget before the new year?

25. Madara Uchiha | October 1, 2013 at 5:23 am |

Nope. This is a crock of dung, myself and a buddy just checked our accounts. We are veterans using the GI Bill for housing and school. We both got paid the exact same, 229.20, which is 1800 less than what we get paid any other month. So this shutdown IS strangling the veterans. We have been lied to and told it wouldn't, but lo and behold, it is.

26. This is a terrible way to run congress or any country. I'm 65 plus and my husband
    is 70. He is a retired government employee who also served in the army. In all
    our years we have never gone out and actively campaigned for a party. But this
    shut down has motivated us to get out and do all we can to REPLACE THE DO
    NOTHING REPUBLICANS. I'm sure I CAN GET A LOT OF SENIORS to join me.
    I plan to travel, place calls, and go make sure people are registered. This will
    smack them in the face in 2014. WE ARE TIRED AND THIS IS UTTER
    NONSENSE!!!

27. Will 100% disabled vets get their check? As of now it's not in our bank. We need to pay bills due today.

28. Retireandupset | October 1, 2013 at 8:13 am |

Just checked my bank and sure as nothing, no money in there my military retirement. Maybe later, but it not in there now. We will see

29. My dad is retired vet, his check is not in his account. My sister who has severe Crohn's did not get her SSI check either…. How am I to help both!!??

30. My question is, if the shutdown continues through November (I pray not), and we don't get our pension or disability, will we ever get that November payment? Or do we just lose that money? My husband is a proud 20 year Coast Guard vet and he has more than earned that money. We have 3 children active in the military service and a 4th daughter that is a retired Army vet. How much more does the government want from us????

31. All the more reasons for term limits. Knowing that the career legislators won't vote for term limits on themselves it's up to the voters to invoke term limits on election day.

32. hmc/ usn/ret | October 1, 2013 at 10:10 am |

It is amazing how when we were needed they loved us. when we came home we were thrown to the people that hated us ,even tho they did not know us.The congress and the president made sure their butts were always taken care of, medical, retirement (less than 20 years) and not being treated as we were with cost of living wage increases. Now they are playing with our earned money and we can not do anything. BULL , we need to see who is the biggest problem makers and remove them in the next election. I am against obo care as i believe that we all need to be responsible for our selves. I was a navy brat and knew about the medical benefits. I stayed for my time to earn my benes as most of us did. SO RAISE HELL, VOTE TO REPEL OBO CARE reponsible people and leave us alone and do what you promised. friends of mine who are government assistance say " we have health care, its called er and medicad" we could insure those with out insurance due to pre exitising conditions so who needs obo care

33. So retiree's should get paid on the first which is today and there is no money in our account? Is that later in the day? I know before we'd have it in our accounts the day before so whats up now?

34. I'm concerned to know how this will impact my Dad who is a vet receiving a lot of these benefits. Going to be closely following how things unfold.

Thanks everyone who served. You can't be thanked enough for your sacrifices.

35. I am an 81 year old AF retiree. My wife is seriously ill and needs 24 hr 24/7 care. I was a two time voulunteer for Vietanm and shot down over Laos. I was heavily involved in the Cuban Crisis. I joined the AF during the Korean War. I need as many retired military do my retired pay to survive. I always looked upon retired pay as something that had been earned. In years past we always had a large contengent of ex military in Congress. Most nearly all Congressmen today have never served and do not understand the sacrifices our service people and families have gone through. My wife and family moved 23 times. My daughter went to around 8 different schools. I was gone from home for around 6 years flying all over the world and getting shot at. I would do it all over again. I do not know where this shutdown will lead me but it want be anyplace good.

36. Lets wait a few weeks and if nothing is done to sort out this mess, during the next election, do not vote for any currently elected national government official. Get rid of them all. See if they notice.

37. It’s 4:00 pm & I just called my bank & asked it my military pay is in my account and was told no !! I received my va . Pay this morning as usual but no military retirement check ?? Had anyone else not received theirs ?? Or know when and if we are getting it ?? Any info will be great cause I’m totally freaked out & need my money to pay rent just like the rest of you ?? Is there still a chance we can receive our military retirement checks today ??

38. We did not receive our retirement pay either my husband served for 20 years and that's how they thank him !!!

39. retiredmil spouse | October 1, 2013 at 4:56 pm |

For those of you who say, yes you chose that job and deal with it. Its folks who chose that job for an all volunteer force that made this military force the best ever. If they don't get paid after they retire or are disabled then they will have to bring back the draft. No one would vounteer to serve if they aren't offered entitlements as the call military retirement. So the draftees will do their job and get out with no dedication at all. My spouse served both in Vietnam and the Gulfwar, part of the time in the US Navy and the rest in the Army National Gurad.

40. Hey truck driver if you can read this post thank a teacher…if you can read it in english thank a soldier

41. In regard to:

vtxrider · 1 day ago

VTXRIDER::::::
    Just because you have a degree does not exclude you from the protection of the Military in our United States. While you sit there and put down every man and woman who so chooses to stand behind our country in good and bad, you sit behind a desk and utilize your freedom of speech. However remember that you have put forth no personal effort to safeguard our country, help other countries in need or in crisis, nor have you actively participated in any Military action in combat or otherwise….. therefore your words are of personal "judgment" against others in your own country, who choose to do what they believe is right. You should hang your head in shame for acting superior to others!!!!!!!!!!!!!

42. Hooray for the folks with the guts to stand up to the man spending us into oblivion. We simply cannot take another hit to the deficit ceiling. This administration has sent the deficit from eight trillion to eighteen trillion in just five years. Sorry, I refuse to consider this any type of effective leadership. I am an Army retiree who lives in a state with abysmal employment prospects. I pretty much live off my wife's meager paycheck for lack of a job. The VA screwed up my compensation and disability pay computation for a second time, but I didn't come all this way to be whining about myself. WE NEED TO FIX OUR DISFUNCTIONAL NATIONAL SPENDING TRENDS! Period! If we keep spending it is game over! A few years ago the Federal budget was a stupid joke because of the overloaded bloat and pork. Why in the freaking hell are people cheerleading for the idiots who beat THAT stupid situation by simply adding a trillion dollars per year above and beyond that ridiculous amount? George Bush One caught living hell for being $250 billion over budget. These clowns have beat THAT by forty times over! Where is the outrage?

43. Just checked with my Bank–18:57 pm -my retirement check NOT THERE.

44. Okay 6:30PM no retirement pay for my husband, some got theirs today and some didn't I would love to know what is up with that. Why a few and not all? All should have been paid today they said October 1st no problem *smh* our government is corrupt and ruthless they do not care how this effects all of us because they still have their money and their cushy jobs! I want their pay and banking accounts frozen so they can see what it is like to stalk their bank accounts and pray something is in it! They all should not get another dime till they learn how to compromise with one another and come to a decision!

45. I am 100% service-connected and my direct deposit came as usual in the morning on the first of the month.

It's my understanding that no missed payments will be lost.

It is only government checks for government workers that won't be sent.

46. Alex Hamiltion | October 1, 2013 at 6:43 pm |

Folks need to get over their partisan politics and realize that the 2 parties are benefiting the most. They're not going to lose their paycheck, medical benefits and host of other perks afforded to their position in serving "the people". Congress has messed around too long with us. This is a disgrace! So go ahead, cut your nose to spite your face, blame it Obamacare! Obama, Boehner, Rubio, Cruz or whoever but in the end, you are getting screwed by the well entitled members of the Donkey and Elephant parties…God Bless America.

47. Big Red, well said.

48. The Government posts retired pay today the first of Oct. It depends on your financial institution as to when they post it to your account.

Go here to see the real posting dates of pay for 2031.

49. Jerry Taxpayer | October 1, 2013 at 7:12 pm |

Well someone brought up a very good point. When they talk about budget cuts why is it that all the political Bennies aren't mentioned. It's the politicians that have made this mess & are acting like spoiled children, so why not take there bennies & make them live by the same premise they have made for us. It doesn't make sense to punish the guy who is barely supporting his family, to take from him (or her), when they have nothing to do with the way the government has screwed everything up. Then to let the crooks & culprits in congress who "ARE" directly responsible for the mess, are still making (skimming) our money hand over fist & don't have to pick up any of the penalty. What is wrong with this picture?

50. From the first para of this article!

"Military retirement pay and Survivor Benefit Plan (SBP) annuity payments are considered an entitlement and is not funded by annual appropriations and authorizations. Therefore, they would not be affected by the lack of budget or continuing resolution. Should the country hit the debt ceiling, however, there is the possibility that retirement and SBP payments could be delayed or reduced."

51. Jerry Taxpayer | October 1, 2013 at 7:13 pm |

I mean I've been workin since I was 17, & I'm 63 now. Anytime on any job the more I made the more taxes were taken. Why do all these right wing idiots have such a hard time with that? & if you don't "DO YOUR JOB" you don't get paid? or better yet lose said job. & If anyone's bennies should be cut or completely taken away, let's start at the top, the largest incomes, then move on to the politicians bennies. I mean why should they get a salary if they're no longer an active part of congress. & considering the tax bracket they're in they can afford their own retirement briefcase. ( privately funded by themselves.) Hell once you reach a certain tax bracket you lose your V.A. bennies, same with Social Security. They are all way above all those threshold so Cut em off. They've made most of there money thru the blood sweat & tears of the people who paid for the Social Security. & cheating the taxpayer, so it's only right that they make up the difference, am I wrong?????

52. Y'all can requote the article all you want fact is my husband didn't get his retirement today and there are others who didn't either and I'd love to know why not when others got theirs?

53. ron langiotti | October 1, 2013 at 7:21 pm |

we as veterans need to rise up and march on washington to demand that our benefits not be tampered with. the sacrifices of the veterans especially during war are not to be taken lightly. we need to contact our lawmakers and protest to the fullest extent our displeasure with the thought of them taking our benefits from us!!!!!!!!!!

54. If Boehner wasn't such a weak spineless weeny the feckless bastard would put the Senate Bill on the floor and it would pass. Then we all would our checks.

55. Lawrence Crayton | October 1, 2013 at 10:06 pm |

I bank with usaa, got my retirement pay, but not the va amount for disability, that amount is subtracted from my retirement pay, Anyone the same way??

56. The greatest country is run by te rich, discrimination run rampid in the government, we do nothing, why ?, be cause we will be selected out of the group and punished or speaking out as was in the military. We The People need to take our country back , fire the rich government employees so us poor can get paid , so we can cloth and feed our family's. Why do we punsh the poor for the mistake the rich make ?…

57. USArmyMPVet | October 2, 2013 at 12:12 am |

I'm Sorry but too many people here keep saying "Congress is to blame, or insinuating it". Short memories for all. After 2 years of Obama's first term we were up in arms about his and the Democratic controlled Senate and Congress spending like the piggy bank would never be dry. So we voted in a Republican controlled congress to have some sort of checks and balances to slow this horrendous spending. The Republican Congress had tried at times to be reasonable and let Obama have somethings. Problem is Obama has done no such thing in 6 years in office. he has taken a "My way or the Highway" attitude so he doesn't have to do his real job. Why? Cause he really has no idea what he is doing. We knew this before he got elected. All Obama has done for congress is spit out costly junk bills one after the other, and when he doesn't get his way, he goes on T.V. and throws a tantrum and points fingers. But in no way willing to negotiate on anything PERIOD. That way he gets more golf time and vacation time at our expense. Obamacare is a train wreck. it's gonna take money from people that can't afford to lose it and when it crashes you really think the govt will give you a refund???LOL don't make me laugh. You folks need to wake up to reality. The president is running off the rails. Since he has never had an original idea of his own, he willing to take us all down knowing it will fail. If that debt ceiling is raised, America is officially bankrupt. We cannot pay the interest much less the debt. That means things that happened in Greece, well we are next. Gonna be $10 gas $5 loaf of bread, 50% unemployment. No checks from the govt for anyone. These are not my predictions, these are from analysts that know way more then me. I will give my opinion on this. no matter what happens it's not going to be pretty and it is gonna hurt all of us. You know them preppers you laugh at? they might just have the last laugh.

58. To Lynn. Though you might not believe members of the military haven't protected this individuals freedom of speech since the Constitution was signed, but ask yourself this one question. Would I be able to continue to say or do the things I do if it wasn't for the men and women whom do serve? You thank him for driving a truck delivering goods but there are sailors, Marines, soldiers, and airmen that are deployed all over the world. You will never have to worry about some idiot across the water trying to invade this nation because of those men and women. During the attacks on 9/11 where was your truck driver? When the USS Cole was bombed in Yemen where was your truck driver? When the barracks in Saudi Arabia was bombed where was your truck driver. When several US Embassy's were bombed where was he. You thank him for delivering some goods across the country but will he put his life on the line for you? I don't think so. Who brags about going to college and now is a truck driver. He does that? The men and women who have served this country have a right to bitch and complain all they want. Unless you have STOOD THE WATCH, I recommend you just say THANK YOU and shut up!!

59. I receive DIC from my husband's death. Does anyone know if I will still get the payment in October. thank you for whoever can answer for me.

60. Daniel Thaler | October 2, 2013 at 1:10 am |

I think it would be a real bad move for people to think that if they go into the military and go to very dangerous places, with a chance of getting hurt, sometimes catastrophically, that they won't be taken care of if that happens. Just left to fend for themselves like some much fodder. It's frightening enough to know you can get seriously injured or killed because you are seeing it happen, all the time. On top of that, to know that if you do get wounded you or your family will not be looked after would make a LOT say f— you, I'm not enlisting, ever. What then, bring back the draft? Compensation benefits make no distinctions between a quadrapalegic or someone who lost a finger in combat or some other combat related issues. It's disability compensation, period, and comes under that heading. There aren't other departments or government bogus agencies that can be cut so this department doesn't have to be? Do we need sex education in the schools, still? KIds STILL don't know what's up? Right. If people could see the list of all of these Federally funded , sometimes daft, programs and agencies they'd go ballistic. But the gov't can't take care of it's wounded veterans, or provide SSI TO PEOPLE WHO HAVE PAID INTO IT FOR YEARS. Where's Rousseau when you
    need him?

61. I too am a disabled Viet Nam vet and when I see all these patriots not receiving what they are do, i look at the millions of our dollars our president is wasting onall his vacations abroad. The millions he wasted just flying the Sandy Hook people to Washington to try to pass his gun Control agenda. The billions our government wastes bringing in Sommales, Mongs and millions of other immigrants. We the taxpayer pay for all these immigrants. Lets close our borders and take care of the people who have taken care of our country. Mr President quit acting like a child and blaming others. it's your spending that has put us where we are today. We just can't keep raising the debt ceiling because you want to open our borders and put all these immigrants on social security, food stamps and welfare. Take care of US first.

62. Jeanette Eaton | October 2, 2013 at 2:54 am |

I just want to say that I am glad that we have this site to rely on for information about military issues. My husband passed away almost 14 years ago…he was a 100% service-connected disabled vet. I don't know how I would get along without my DIC payment every month, because I can no longer work. I am another person who doesn't like the word "entitlements" because they AREN'T. These benefits were EARNED with blood, sweat, and tears. Our Social Security checks ALSO are NOT "entitlements" because that's OUR MONEY TO BEGIN WITH!!! Maybe we didn't necessarily earn it with blood, sweat and tears, but we worked to furnish the necessities of life for our families, and from every paycheck, money was automatically taken out , supposedly, for us to use at a later date (retirement). None of us have "volunteered" a portion of our earnings…they just TAKE it, so I really wish that the people who liken these payments to "handouts" from the government would start to "re-educate" themselves on how this system is worked out.. As for the "shut-down" its anybody's guess as to how it will play out and how it will ultimately affect all of us and that's why I am glad that we can come to Military,gov for the information we need. Thank you.

63. ron langiotti | October 2, 2013 at 3:05 am |

veterans who lost limbs or blinded should be protecred from this mess in congress. the highest form of service to your country is during war time and should be recognized as the ultimate sacrifice in fighting in war. the many vets who are disabled should not be denied their benefits from the va. if this happens we all need to march on washington and demand justice for our vets. god bless america

64. ron langiotti | October 2, 2013 at 3:14 am |

the worst thing a country can do is ignore its veterans especially those who fought in war time. the members of congress should have been in vietnam and seen the horrors of battle and then come home to hostile antiwar protestors. that wasnt right!!! it is not right what congress is doing to our vets now by threats of taking their benefits away. i say lets mobilize and march on washington to demonstrate our frustration over this issue

65. Its one am and still no 911 gi bill for the first time ever.

66. ron langiotti | October 2, 2013 at 3:23 am |

the worst thing a country can do is ignore returning combat veterans with issues like ptsd and horrible wounds they have to live with for the rest of their lives. this is not right what is happening in washington by ignoring veterans rights and compensations. we who fought didnt go to canada or burn our draft cards. we responded to the call of duty and served with pride and dignity
    i have a bumper sticker on my car which says vietnam vet and damn proud of it

67. Ludicrous/ludicrous chain of events, with the funny part removed. Ron, DAVPRM

68. I received my disability and retirement deposits yesterday. Not sure why others haven't gotten their's.

69. H.J.Summerville | October 2, 2013 at 9:36 am |

I have read some great comments on here and most of the people have hit it right on the head. Serving in Congress was set up to be a privilege to serve the people for a term or two and get out and back to your regular life. You were never meant to collect a paycheck the rest of your life or to get a special health care plan for life. These arrogant politicians go into Congress as middle class people and all of them come out as millionares. This practice has to stop now or we will cease to exist as a nation. God Bless our Troops.

70. Well we have solved the issue with my husbands retirement they "forgot" to pay him…yes "forgot" oh and they will get it in our account before the 1st of November really I have bills due now!!!!! I suppose I"ll be calling around to our people we owe money to and explain oopppss my husband busted his tail in the service for 20 years and oh they "forgot" to pay him! -_- Don't get me wrong I'm glad that they are going to fix this but it still puts us in a bind and no one seems to really care! I hope every last member of Congress get's voted out and I'm counting down till 2016 we need elected officials that can work TOGETHER for the greater good of our nation than immature, childish, agenda pushing jerks like we currently have! America please take note of what we have elected so we do not make this mistake ever again!

71. The federal answer over the past 8 years has been to spend spend spend eventually this will stop and everybody will be directly affected not just government employees.

72. I agree with the state above that the US NAVY Veteran just placed.
    Your right sir, I am also from a long lineage of veterans dating back to World War One, Just buried my last World War Two and lost in 2003/4 2 Veteran brothers one NAVY one AGENT ORANGE took from his volunteering too many years in Vietnam…………..Llifetime Veteran deceased at 70…….YES YOU ARE SO SO RIGHT SIR ALL WHITE HOUSE PERSONNEL AND CONGRESSIONAL LEADERS REPRESENTATIVES AND CONGRESSMAN OF THIS COUNTRY SHOULD NOT BE SEATED IN GOVERNMENT WITHOUT EXPERIENCING WHAT GOVERNMENT IS……….THE DEFININTION IS PLAIN SERVE COUNTRY IN THE CASE HERE IT IS THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA AND ITS CITIZENS NOT THE GOVERNMENT WHO BELIEVE THEY ARE RUNNING US, THEY ARE JUST DECISION MAKERS OR MORE HONESTLY PUT PERSONS IN CHARGE OF HOW TO SPEND MONIES AND IT GOT US NOWHERE AS THEY DID NOT HAVE A CLUE, THIS IS NOT OBAMA'S FAULT IT'S BEEN GOING ON FOR YEARS HE HAS JUST WORSENED IT BY THE ILLEGALITIES AND RELIGIOUS GOSSIP FLOATING AROUND TRUE OR FALSE? WHO KNOWS

73. Ok it’s 12:90 pm on OCR. 2 I still haven’t received my retirement deposit??? I received my va pay yesterday but nothing from my retirement . Anyone had any updates ?? Has anyone contacted defas on Thier missing checks ??

74. My husband is expecting severance pay this month( he reached his RCP) on, or around the 10th. I was wondering if anyone here has any knowledge on whether or not he would still receive his payment, should the shutdown last past the 10th of October.
    I understand my post is not related to retirement and/or disability pay.I am just hoping someone on here might be able to help.

75. my jusbamd spent 3 yrs in a veterans hospital with service connected disability i now have va compensation checks for me since he died will this be ther after all decisions are reached if so when

76. people instead of trying to work around it or to that extent, this should NOT be happening, we must rise up and take this nation back, now id the time!! NOW or forever it be gone.

77. My husband received both military retirement pay and his disability pay yesterday. I wonder if he will get it come November 1st????

78. vicki willis | October 2, 2013 at 9:45 pm |

I served and am a 100% DAV….I am unable to work. My husband is not able to work, he's retired on SSI….He was a teacher . we do not have much money and if my VA dis. check does not come the end of Oct we will not have a place to live….My husband has been really sick and the cost has killed us. My question is why the Military has not stepped in and sent the crazies home. They are not doing their job….

79. stop death bed marriages at veterans hospital….the people getting money that didn't do the 20 plus years hardship time….Bar friend is messing with my kids inheritance …How disgusting can a person be …serve him the poison that shut his liver down to begin with , then marries him for benefits and he dies couple hours after they gave him to much morphine in a remote location where he rented a room ….Greed…..sure congress approves of such acts….she didn't do hardship 20 plus years. His children did not some opportunist on someone's… death bed .

80. Clearly, Congress is puerile, sophomoric, egomaniacal, petty, greedy, apathetic, seemingly anencephalic, self-serving, feeling entitled, intractable, unable to agree on anything – even if it gravely harms the country they are sworn to protect, guilty of insider trading (is anyone out there so naive as to believe these "geniuses" really want to serve their country) and become obscenely wealthy; they are sanctimonious, supercilious, etc., etc., etc., etc. The approval rating of these public servants is, according to polls, ten percent. There is no way this can be true; not because it is so low, but because it is so high. I would like to know who is this ten percent of those polled believing Congress is doing a good job. One tenth of one percent would be a lot closer to the truth. If ten percent actually believe in this dysfunctional Congress, I have a question for them. How have you managed to keep your heads up your
    rear ends so long without suffocating????? And where have you been the past several years?

81. Long story short……I am saddened by out governements state of affairs.

82. Justajarhead | October 3, 2013 at 3:46 pm |

My only wish is that we could increase our creidt when we need to pay bills. That will never happen. If you have a monthly budget, then you know what your spending power is, so why doesnt the government have a budget. And why don't they put it before the people to decide if we give money to other countries. It seems that all the elected officials that are in Washington have no clue what the need and want fo the people are. Don't claim to be educated, but have common sense. I say set a budget based on the annual income and stick with it. They keep borrowing and keep increasing what they make . Time to change the whole bunch in Washington, bot Democrats and republicans.

83. as everyone is aware by now, no Senator or Congressman is answering their phones or e-mails in D.C. or their home State, that's how much they care! So as John Q.Public we are left to swim upstream getting nowhere, How are we as citizen's going to pay Nov. bill's when our V.A. disability checks aren't available which is a strong likelyhood, buy food, pay our utility bills as well?

84. Why bother, government officials could care less about the general public,vets or whatever. Obviously, they are only concerned about their own personal situations. It really is a pitiful situation that we are in here in this country. I served twenty years in the service and never thought I would have to put up with anything like this. It's thoroughly disgusting, But like I said before, why even talk about it, nothing is going to change.

85. We as a people have NO POWER in what happens to us so sad.

86. Frank pernau | October 3, 2013 at 6:15 pm |

I came to the USA 50 years ago. As a green card holder I was drafted in the Army, so I proceed and reported to the draftees Hq. went to Vietnam an decided to reenlist and stay in, I was very proud to serve this great country and roll in for over 25 years. Now I see things that I never could imagine before that with have a Government that can't get along within the government, this make me sad, and I do not understand why some government officials are against our president and his medical care program.

87. ben masters | October 3, 2013 at 6:35 pm |

this is appauling it will probably happen do not be fooled and we again will suffer for the grred of wicked men wolves in sheep clothes

88. Wake up and smell the coffee, sometimes the coffee is not the right brand. This may be the first wave? Let this open all are eyes to what may or can happen to what we thought was a sure thing! Your rights and benefits are not secure as you may have thought? If you depend on them, you may taste some bad coffee.

89. @ vtxrider,
    You should try working the hours that a soldier does. DOT restricts your hours but there is no restrictions on how many hours a soldier works.

90. what about survivor benefits? are we still going to be able to get those?

91. well I would like to see the tea party gone I voted for pres Obama and am thrilled I can get insurance and to top it off you have the nerve to quote the bible

92. Vote them out. All of them. If they can't work for the better of the country get them OUT!!!

93. Tell the politicians to stop paying their coffers also. Tell the politicians to stop funding overseas countries. They so quick to stop our funding, but slow to stop theirs. Also, what happened to the motto take care of your back yard first? these politicians care nothing more about the people that send them there to do a job, which they do the jobs of special interest groups. Yet they fast to put down the Tea Party Members as racist, yet it consists of all colors. And our media has become a joke and cowards.

94. I have a question concerning those that are working on my disability rating. Are they still working on that decision?

95. My son is recently seperated from AirForce and is receiving GI Bill BAH and GI Bill tuition assistance. He only just seperated mid September 2013 (took terminal leave Aug 15th and is now offically out Sept 23rd 2013). His GI BIll tuition payments for Oct have been paid……however he has not received his GI Bill BAH for Oct 1st. He was told when "out processing that he would be paid his BAH up to 3 years as long as he was a FULL TIME student using his GO Bill and TA (which he is). Is he not going to get this now……the kid needs this income for general living expenses such as food and shelter and gas and car insurance.

96. What happens when you or I do NOT do our jobs to complete a critical function that could shut down our employers business…..right we get FIRED! We (the people) need to vote in a law that does just that for our congressmen, if they do not complete the budget ON TIME they ARE FIRED. After over 46 years of service to this country I have had enough of what THEY are doing to MY country to line their pockets and serve their own desires. Next election day I for one will NOT cast even ONE vote for ANY incumbent!! ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!

97. I am retired military. I also am classified as 100 percent disabled and receive[d] SSI disability and after 4 years of fighting the despicable scum at the VA, I finally was declared "Individual Unemployable" [I.U.]. I am completely hunched over [ankylosing spondylitis] and my neck vertebrae are fused so I can't move my head more than an inch vertically or horizontally.

I served in Vietnam. I am 75 years old and under the terms dictated by the VA for being classified as I.U. I couldn't even take a job at Walmart greeting idiots like the college educated truck driver.

The current situation is the result of both Republicans and Democrats foolish stubbornness and the fact that they know they have nothing to lose by screwing the public. The average income of a congressman is $966,000! If voted out of office they will get jobs as lobbyists. Yes, almost none of them are vets, which is also part of the problem. I could go on for pages in how we got to our present predicament, but why bother. I do know I will never vote for anybody that isn't a Libertarian. If there aren't any Libertarians running I won't vote at all.

Anyway I earned my retirement and disability pay. By threatening my financial security, the thugs in the WH and congress merely show what despicable rats they are. As for the dumb truck driver, I learned how to drive a huge truck in two days when I was in the military. So truckdriver, when you hit the Eastern seaboard, just keep on trucking right into the Atlantic. The Coast Guard probably will have their fuel funds frozen and won't be able to save your dumb ass.

98. 4PM 4 OCT and my bank says no EFT for my monthly Federal retirement EFT. It always comes 1st of every month unless sometimes it is delayed by a holiday or Sunday – but not very often.

wazzup?

99. Will our veterans disabilitypay be retro to a later date if we dont get it on the 01 nov 2013 pay day. or do we lose it all

100. William Houle | October 5, 2013 at 6:36 pm |

I'm retired Army and served 22 years in the military. I retired in 1996. I have seen a lot of benifits dissappear and now I'm no sure if I will get paid my retirement check on Nov.1st. How can I make my mortage or any other bills ?Please someone do something. Are we going to be paid or not? Its either yes or no. Don't leave us hanging.

101. I read in today's newspaper that more Republicans are trying to reinstate programs which are making them look like the selfish fools they are. One of them is funding the VA. Public relations wise, that makes sense. The Democrats are against measures that would fund certain political hand grenades like denying the disabled vets their $$. They want everything refunded or nothing. And that's the way it is. Just remember we [well not me since I only vote Libertarian] elected these political whores and don't make the same mistake twice.

102. Govenors of each state should call every representative and senator that represents their state to the capital and tell them they no longer have the authority to speak on their citizens behalf and fire them. Our current election process is broke, big money wins. Now there are laws to protect the big contributors.

103. Military Wife | October 10, 2013 at 12:09 am |

Congress, not to mention the RICH AS FUCK Republicans are really fucked up in the head.. No, not Obama.. Congress can't balance a fucking budget, so they are going to make Veterans suffer.. They wouldn't even know how to fucking survive in the military let alone on the SMALL paycheck I get biweekly. Veterans benefits are not WELFARE. You are what's wrong with this country, you selfish greedy FUCKS!

104. If we donot recieve check how are we going to pay bills

105. i was wounded serving my country,i can not work,i have a family,now i will not get my medical retirement money so that poor excuse of a president can enjoy his time as a dictator,if i could do it all over again i'd put myself in harms way AGAIN in a second,but at what cost.All of my gunrights have been tooken by the veterans admin already now my money that i support my wife and kids with.

106. Joann Kosciolek | October 11, 2013 at 2:17 am |

I get a benefit from my husband being in Viet Nam , he also passed away for results of him being there. Will my benefit stop with this shut down ???

107. L. R. Garcia | October 12, 2013 at 10:23 pm |

I believe that all of this disagreements we are having is because we are being forced to use Obamacare or heard that Obamacare was going to be required by everyone or be charged like a criminal. Because of Obamacare, and now a disagreement between the children of the House and the children of the Senate who cannot play together and all agree to everything together. There is a very serious possibility that people could die if they are not able to have access to their medical care, to money to get food for their families to end hunger in their families and help people to get their lives back into a normal routine.

We are all Americans who should be civil to one another and join together to accomplish the work necessary to unite America, We need to get into agreement and unite our country. There is no real knowledge of what could happen if this shutdown does not stop. This should never have happend.

108. Continued Part 2

Come on people. We are all Americans. We should be united in our choices for one United America and not divided by disagreement.

Be thankful that no one enemy has tried to take advantage of this controversy to try to overthrow our government. I love America and I pray everyday for our United States. Can we please stop this recess and now get back to work. Our country's independence depends on it.

I need to see our country settle down, get back to normal, and back to getting all these Americans back to work and our country standing up on our own two feet and keep our country financially stable and free.

109. 1 dissgruntaled vet | October 13, 2013 at 9:11 pm |

if we have had enough then lets fire every politician and start over limit them to 2 year terms and quit giving them 100% retirement benefits . everyone else has to work 20 years just to get 50 %. notice how obamacare isn't good enough for them they passed a law to exempt themselves just like the one they passed so they can't have their pay and benefits cut . notice how the congressional gym and dry cleaners are still mission essential and payed for with your tax dollars

110. I am a disabled veteran and am concerned and saddened by our state of events. I appreciate the show of love and concern on this site. Although I am struggling and cannot afford to drive, I cannot help but wonder if there might be something I could do to help a neighboring vet at this time.

111. I haven't received child support payment until now.my ex husband his retired did not get paid yet.even my portion his retirement i haven't received yet. i did not pay the rent this month.did the government give us the extra money?because if we late pay rent we pay extra late fee right?

112. 1 dissgruntaled vet | October 14, 2013 at 7:36 pm |

just watched todays news seems the pres and his cronies still think the republicans should be the ones to give up everything so obama can raise the debt and he can keep on giving away all our tax money to every country that wants to erase us off the planet . notice how the cost of living raises for the vets and social security will only be 1.5 % if we're lucky bet you congress will get at least anouther7.5 % like last year . personally i think it's bull squirt that politicians get one at all . if there was no raise in the cost of living for us normal citizens then how is it that it's increased for the politicians so much !!! vote all of them out of office next election !!!!!!!!!!!!!

113. I think that it should be UNCHANGEABLE LAW that if Congress doesn't pass a budget or Deal with the national debt BEFORE the deadlines set, then they don't get paid, neither does the President and his wife! You'd see a different cloud of cooperation descend on Washington DC and business would be taken care of PROMPTLY. Why is it that the President shut down the government entities that take care of the people who pay for the handouts to those who don't work for them. Military,Social Security (threatened), Parks (Military monuments and places not manned by personnel) This was intentional to direct anger at one side of the political arena. REMEMBER it takes two to tango! All politicians in Wash DC are to blame. It is sad that even when the sequester was put in place Foreign aide didn't reduce by one dime! Not even with the shut down did foreign aide reduce by a penny. We take care of many people throughout the world who hate us yet who do the politicians hurt when they play their political games? US Citizens that's who!
    Retired military and totally disgusted with the drivel that is in Washington DC

114. Thomas W. Wicker | October 16, 2013 at 2:24 pm |

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but even I know that when you take $7 BILLON and give it to another country, that debt should be Paid-In-Full.
    Now my major concern is this: How did we get into so much debt to other countries when we are fighting their WARS and sending our Troops over just to PATROL and POLICE their country? Shouldn't they be Paying us for those services instead of U.S. doing all the work AND paying them a SO CALLED DEBT?
    We need more money? How about we start taking 10 cents out of every TOM, DICK, and HARRY'S profits. Ten Cents out of every Dollar earned as PAY, INTEREST on SAVINGS, EVERYTHING. NO MORE TAX BREAKS FOR THE RICH. FAMOUS, OR INDIFFERENT. I get disability, but, if IRS would TAX
    EVERBODY $0.10 on every dollar they received, not only would the GOVERNMENT have enough money to run the Country, Pay its debts, and even have enough left over to start a savings for the Country. That would be equality in TAXATION for all. I'm sick of hearing the RICH gripping and complaining about too much tax. ALL WOULD BE EQUAL.

115. r0bert vann wilson | March 5, 2014 at 6:02 pm |

wevietnam vets live on the poverty line where is are the people of this nation to allow thi shappen to the ones that suffered/bled/died/endured the hardship of war never coming home

116. I have always wondered after I spent 7 1/2 years in the Army reserve what if any benifits there are or was this just a way to get guys into srmy for in cse ments
    and after 3 year + it was katie bar the door !!
    any way I can find out but by know the timre has passed for using the $3.00 a year education bill right

1955 to 191962 time servred andy directions but please don't wsay Washington ! T

hanks