Learn About Space A Travel

May 14, 2013 | Kate Horrell

Ever wondered how to use the Air Mobility Command‘s Space Available travel program?  You’re in luck!  Not only is there an entire conference devoted to the topic, but the conference will be streamed live and on demand so you can watch from your location.

The event will be held in Jacksonville, Florida from May 18-19  – that’s this weekend.  Topics being covered include:

• Space A Travel – Europe
  • Travelling Light and Being Prepared
  • Space A Travel – CONUS
  • Space A Travel Success Stories
  • Tricks of the Trade/Signup Management
  • Space A Travel – Asia/Pacific/Hawaii
  • Space A Travel Boot Camp

This conference is an outgrowth of Dirk Pepperd’s Space A travel board, which has a lot of useful information and you can get help from people who have done this before.  You will have to register to access the board’s content.

We have used Space A flights from both the Pacific and the Atlantic.  It is always an adventure!  Understanding the system and learning certain tips can make your travel more successful and comfortable.  And you can’t beat the price.  Be sure to tune into these seminars if you have time.

Comments

1. Mark says:

19 years, 2 active, 15 good, activated twice, then medical discharge 70% and can't use space A travel.

• John says:

Amen to you. I served 3 years active and am 100% service-connected but cannot use Space-A.

• Frances says:

Really – 3 years 100% service connected

• CW2 J.O. ALOMAR says:

I,am in te sameboat 100% dav viet vet permanent and can fly SA
        when a boy scout, a cadet, fed employee ,teachers,etc are allow

semperfy
        that's DOD for us DOD EMPLOYESS ARE ALLOW,WHAT A JOKE

• J.P.Lawson says:

I hope they are going to talk about 100% disabled being able to use space "A" I think we have earned it.

• PJK says:

Was Your medical discharge for PT test failures? Just saying i was on a board that discharged a guy at 19 yrs for PT test failures even though he had over 18 months and three tries to lose 12 lbs and get the minimum score

• Sydnie says:

I'm a 20 year retiree, 100% disabled. Authorized to use Space A, but sadly, due to my physical disabilities, can't travel alone. Have used it before on my own, but with all their restrictions, no more for me. Sadly, we all worked hard to get benefits that we can't fully use.

• Steve says:

I've been 100% Disabled since leacing Army in1871. I epreally would like to have this available. We need to inundate the Congress and let them know how we feel. The professions we could have had might have made it easier to pay for travel, but living just on the poverty line sure slows down the chance,to see others.

2. Carlos A Velez says:

Please keep us informed of changes

3. RANDY. METCALF says:

I am a 100 percent plus Disabled V/Man Vet. since 1998 and have been waiting all of these years for congress to pass a bill to allow veterans like myself to be able to fly space A travel. It seems that every year the bill never gets beyond the committee , if even that far.
    I thing the bill should be allowed a full up & down vote by all of the Congressman we have elected to office to do the peoples business. It sure would show who is for the Veteran and who is not. I think that is one of the major reasons it never makes it out of the Veteran Affairs Committee. The committee congressmen do not even vote on the bill. They just table and file it in file 13, or it would go to the whole floor or be canceled by a no vote. Anyone out there know anything about the what I have been talking about, please reply so that all of us knows what's up.

• Pablo says:

It is understandable, reasonable and just that a physically disabled veteran or retiree not be permitted travel on Space A flights because of the demands of its primary mission. However, I believe there are other disabilities not requiring the use of assistive equipment that make it possible for 100% PT Vets & Retirees to meet those demands. All 100% PT's and MOH recipients should be granted DD Form 2 (Blue ID Card). If any DD Form 2 ID Card holder present a visible physically disabling disability to board a Space A flight, then it is logical he/she would not be allowed to fly for their own safety. We all served honorably our beloved nation with pride and allegiance. Give 100% PT & MOH the dignity we require so that our last days in this system are lived meritoriously.

• John Paul says:

Clearly you think flying Space A is like flying Delta, guess again. KC135's are either to hot or to cold, canvus seats that don't recline, box lunches and that noise you hear is due to very little sound proof material. You get diverted, arrive late with no transportation, and fight for a room and a way to get there. This is not the way for physically challenged, medically dependent to travel.
      It works for those that can stand the stress and uncertainty, manage them selves with a good measure of independence.

• Guest says:

You should quit flying space a John Paul, kinda looks like it is to stressful for you.

• Rudy says:
          • Guest says:

I gotta tell you something John Paul. I am 73 years old and was flying space a before you were born. You make it stressfull if you want it to be. It is a piece of cake. You just need to have enough money to fly with a airline if you can not get home. But guess what, the people that fly space a usually have plenty of time and can bounce around until they catch a flight. Just an experiance. You are just scared someone going to get your seat. What a joke. I would give my seat to a 100% disabled vet. Get real and tell us why you do not want a dav to fly space a. What you have said so far make no sense.

4. @J_George_ says:

24 yrs Active Duty Air Force, Retired and 100% P&T service connected.

5. Dwayne Nelson says:

To all of the VA service related disability prior servicemen, Space A travel are all mission flights with the ultimate goal to service the war fighter, Imagine one of you disabled men or women getting sick in flight, and the Mission Commander having to make a decision to abort the mission or continue the mission for the good of the warfighter? I wish Space A was a commercial airline, so that by-law they would be required to handle Americans with Disabilities. Maybe, we can ask Congress to increase our budget so that Space A can be accommodating to all who have serve or related to members that I have serve along with their spouses. Funding can come from VA or Tricare. What do you all think?

• Guest says:

Dwayne, you should be ashamed of yourself for all that bs you wrote. Most disabled veterans would not get sick any quicker than some of the retired people on the plane. By the way many of the people flying space a are also disabled veterans. I am sure you are not one of them but I am sure you are a retired serviceman, thanks for your service by the way, do not be afraid that a 100% dav will take your seat, half the time the planes are not even full. If your retired people are so afraid we will get your seats, why not just make another catergory so the dav people would not take your seat. Again you message degrading disabled veterans is disgusting.

• chucker says:

There is no funding involved in space a travel. The mission is "paid for"., and any leftover room is made available for passengers traveling space a. There is nothing difficult about it. I myself would probably not travel space a after having to put up with all the idiot retirees in my twenty years in "MAC".

• guest says:

6. Jerry says:

Streamed from where? Livestream?

Jerry, if you click on the words "topics being covered include," it will take you to the Conference home page. At the bottom of the page, you can find the link to the livestream. Mr. Pepperd is asking people to donate $25 if they are able, to cover the costs of the conference and the broadcast. Please donate if you are able. However, as it says on the webpage, "I'm not going to make anyone pay if they can't afford it." Hope that helps.

7. Rose Powers says:

I am an AF widow, am I eligible to fly space A available? ?

• Donna says:

Dear Widow, I am also an AF widow. Unfortunately space A is not available to us. We have time, not a great deal of money but the desire to travel.
      Wish this was an option :)

8. rodney joyce says:

I am retired 20years can I fly space a travel and how do I find the nearest terminal i live in indiana and would like to go to california.

9. don legg says:

Can i get space a to go to the program.

10. DAN says:

I AM A 34 YR VET WITH 25 YRS IN SPECIAL FORCES. RODE A BLACKHAWK INTO THE GROUND DURING DESERT STORM (GRAVITY IS A BUMMER) GOT BUSTED UP BUT SURVIVED. I CAN'T GET ON SPACE A YET. YOU HAVE TO EARN AGAIN WHAT WAS ALREADY EARNED. NEVER GIVE UP. TENACITY AND AN UNDERSTANDING OF THE SYSTEM WILL EVENTUALLY PAY OFF! ONE MORE SURGERY AND I AM IN BUSINESS!
    GET AFTER YOUR POLITICAL REPS AND STAY ON THEIR RADAR.

• Guest says:

Sorry about your accident Dan. I too was injured in Desert Storm, though no where as serious as you. I like the positive advice about Never giving up! I am 100% Service connected and retired. I think that we will eventually get our Space-A-Travel privileges back. Hang in there!
      Alyson

11. Stuart Onsrud says:
  12. Sandy says:

Where is the link "to regester" to have access to the board"

Sandy, you can register by clicking on the word "register" in the post, or if you go to the travel board itself, there is a link to register there. Hope that helps!

13. norm says:

click one of the links in the above message to access the board then pay 25 dollars to register woohoo another benny fro the uncle!!

norm, there is no fee to register for Dirk Pepperd's Space A Travel board. I'm not sure what link took you to a site that has a fee, but that isn't the right place. Hope that helps!

Okay, norm, I've figured out what you are talking about. There is a $25 fee to attend the conference itself. Mr. Pepperd is asking people who view it online to donate $25 if they are able, to offset the cost of the conference and the webviewing. Please consider donating if you are able. However, as he says on the website, "I'm not going to make anyone pay if they can't afford it." Hope that helps!

14. Manny says:

Category VI:

National Guard/Reserve components/members of the Ready Reserve and members of the Standby Reserve who are on the Active Status List.

Retired military members who are issued DD Form 2 and eligible to receive retired or retainer pay.

Family members (with a valid identification card) of retired members when accompanied by a sponsor.

• Guest says:

How about the boy scouts, and numerous other people who never served a day but they let them fly spacea. It is still the retired military people without disabilities that group togehter and stop the 100% davs from flying. They are so afraid that are going to lose a precious seat. Again, many times the planes have empy seats. Why not allow the 100 dav to fly.

Guest, I have never heard of the Boy Scouts being allowed to utilize AMC travel. I'd like to hear more about that.

15. Henry Alford says:

Good story, but lacking the "link" to the site or where to obatin it !

Mr. Alford, you can click on the words "Dick Pepperd's Space A Travel Board" or "register" to access the site. If neither of them work for you, you can google "dick pepperd space a travel" to obtain the link. Hope that helps!

• GUEST says:

H.R.164 – To amend title 10, United States Code, to permit veterans who have a service-connected, permanent disability rated as total to travel on military aircraft in the same manner and to the same extent as retired members of the Armed Forces entitled to such travel. CONGRESS.GOV

16. steve says:

30+ Active,Guard & Reserve & IRR, I was QRB NOT due to Medical (40% SC) from the Guard, then sent to the IRR then recalled to the Reserve where I have been sitting for almost 2 years. still have my Retired ID but Still expected to Show for Battle Assembly.
    When Father passed away last year couldnt get a flight !!! due to my status being jacked up. oh Yeah I did start a inquiry and thats been over a year deciding on my status. I have another SRP to go through this month ,maybe Ill be one of the Lucky Ones )))

17. CGM says:

The more and more comments I read, on different panels mind you, the more I emphasize to my children NOT to join the military. My husband served 30 years, proudly, received a partial disability, and the more he has to fight to get what he's all ready paid for, the more infuriated I become. Not only does he have to WAIT to earn what's due him, but now he finds out he has to PAY BACK what was given to him. REALLY? COME ON! I sympathize with all those that have posted regarding trying to get a space A flight to attend a family funeral, etc. I salute all of you who have served so valiantly and are now being treated with such disregard. It's as if the military is a lesser commodity to be thrown away when no longer needed. Thanks to all of you for your service to keep our country free.

18. MPT says:

I was a Civilian Technician and member, 41 1/2yrs, of an Air Guard Unit that is Geographically Seperated (GSU) from the Main Air Force Base. The GSU Unit receives logistic support and transportation support on scheduled weekend drills etc. I was denied Space A travel on the flight and made an inquiry. I was informed that Space A Travel is only authorized from one AMC supported facilitie to another. Security is handled by TSA at the Airport that services the Flights but as retired military I am considered a civilian and TSA wont do the Security requirements. Why are there special requirements for retired military? Why cant the locally supported unit suppot the Space A program? They support all other requirements like ID cards etc.

19. Robert H. Rounsefell says:

In the past I have flown Space A many times mostly to Europe primarily from McGuire AFB in NJ. I have taken my wife and the children as the family grew. We started on the C-ll8's which would land at every opportunity to refuel thus have visited Harmon, Newfoundland, Keflavic, Shannon, Goose Bay and a few others. As you can tell it was a long time ago. We watched the evolution of Space A coincide with the evolution of long distance travel going from the 118 to turboprops to jets and saw the trip reduced gradually from 22 hours to less than seven. These were not mission oriented other than to move troops and their dependents back and forth from Europe. I have been retired for 40 years, spent bocoup time in Special Forces and am 90% disabled due to Agent Orange. I did well in business and generally have the ability to pay my way but miss the fun of Space A. If you have the time it is the way to go. Like others I am not thrilled by the exclusion of disabled people considering the miserable war it happened in but that's the way it goes. I am 80 years ole and most of my travelling days are over. Enjoy it while you can

20. Guest says:

Why did everyone stop posting? hmmm

21. Michael McConnell says:

I am a 100% T&P service connected vet was told that did not qualify for space a. Is there laws going in effect anytime for this type of vet?

• guest says:

H.R.164 – To amend title 10, United States Code, to permit veterans who have a service-connected, permanent disability rated as total to travel on military aircraft in the same manner and to the same extent as retired members of the Armed Forces entitled to such travel. go to CONGRESS.GOV

22. Guest says:

copy and past the above. I think it may be interesting to you people who are fighting against 100% dav flying space a. But most of you could care less due to thinking someone might take one of your precious seats.

If you do not know how to copy and paste, ask someone.