Learn About Space A Travel

Ever wondered how to use the Air Mobility Command‘s Space Available travel program?  You’re in luck!  Not only is there an entire conference devoted to the topic, but the conference will be streamed live and on demand so you can watch from your location.

The event will be held in Jacksonville, Florida from May 18-19  – that’s this weekend.  Topics being covered include:

• Space A Travel – Europe
  • Travelling Light and Being Prepared
  • Space A Travel – CONUS
  • Space A Travel Success Stories
  • Tricks of the Trade/Signup Management
  • Space A Travel – Asia/Pacific/Hawaii
  • Space A Travel Boot Camp

This conference is an outgrowth of Dirk Pepperd’s Space A travel board, which has a lot of useful information and you can get help from people who have done this before.  You will have to register to access the board’s content.

We have used Space A flights from both the Pacific and the Atlantic.  It is always an adventure!  Understanding the system and learning certain tips can make your travel more successful and comfortable.  And you can’t beat the price.  Be sure to tune into these seminars if you have time.

About the Author

Kate Horrell
Kate Horrell is a military financial coach, mom of four teens, and Navy spouse. She has a background in taxes and mortgage banking, and a trove of experience helping other military families with their money. Follow her on twitter @realKateHorrell.

20 Comments on "Learn About Space A Travel"

1. 19 years, 2 active, 15 good, activated twice, then medical discharge 70% and can't use space A travel.

2. Carlos A Velez | May 16, 2013 at 7:21 pm |

Please keep us informed of changes

3. RANDY. METCALF | May 16, 2013 at 7:22 pm |

I am a 100 percent plus Disabled V/Man Vet. since 1998 and have been waiting all of these years for congress to pass a bill to allow veterans like myself to be able to fly space A travel. It seems that every year the bill never gets beyond the committee , if even that far.
    I thing the bill should be allowed a full up & down vote by all of the Congressman we have elected to office to do the peoples business. It sure would show who is for the Veteran and who is not. I think that is one of the major reasons it never makes it out of the Veteran Affairs Committee. The committee congressmen do not even vote on the bill. They just table and file it in file 13, or it would go to the whole floor or be canceled by a no vote. Anyone out there know anything about the what I have been talking about, please reply so that all of us knows what's up.

4. 24 yrs Active Duty Air Force, Retired and 100% P&T service connected.

5. Dwayne Nelson | May 16, 2013 at 7:48 pm |

To all of the VA service related disability prior servicemen, Space A travel are all mission flights with the ultimate goal to service the war fighter, Imagine one of you disabled men or women getting sick in flight, and the Mission Commander having to make a decision to abort the mission or continue the mission for the good of the warfighter? I wish Space A was a commercial airline, so that by-law they would be required to handle Americans with Disabilities. Maybe, we can ask Congress to increase our budget so that Space A can be accommodating to all who have serve or related to members that I have serve along with their spouses. Funding can come from VA or Tricare. What do you all think?

6. Streamed from where? Livestream?

7. Rose Powers | May 16, 2013 at 7:58 pm |

I am an AF widow, am I eligible to fly space A available? ?

8. rodney joyce | May 16, 2013 at 8:01 pm |

I am retired 20years can I fly space a travel and how do I find the nearest terminal i live in indiana and would like to go to california.

9. Can i get space a to go to the program.

10. I AM A 34 YR VET WITH 25 YRS IN SPECIAL FORCES. RODE A BLACKHAWK INTO THE GROUND DURING DESERT STORM (GRAVITY IS A BUMMER) GOT BUSTED UP BUT SURVIVED. I CAN'T GET ON SPACE A YET. YOU HAVE TO EARN AGAIN WHAT WAS ALREADY EARNED. NEVER GIVE UP. TENACITY AND AN UNDERSTANDING OF THE SYSTEM WILL EVENTUALLY PAY OFF! ONE MORE SURGERY AND I AM IN BUSINESS!
    GET AFTER YOUR POLITICAL REPS AND STAY ON THEIR RADAR.

11. Stuart Onsrud | May 16, 2013 at 9:42 pm |
  12. Where is the link "to regester" to have access to the board"

13. click one of the links in the above message to access the board then pay 25 dollars to register woohoo another benny fro the uncle!!

14. Category VI:

National Guard/Reserve components/members of the Ready Reserve and members of the Standby Reserve who are on the Active Status List.

Retired military members who are issued DD Form 2 and eligible to receive retired or retainer pay.

Family members (with a valid identification card) of retired members when accompanied by a sponsor.

15. Henry Alford | May 17, 2013 at 4:13 am |

Good story, but lacking the "link" to the site or where to obatin it !

16. The more and more comments I read, on different panels mind you, the more I emphasize to my children NOT to join the military. My husband served 30 years, proudly, received a partial disability, and the more he has to fight to get what he's all ready paid for, the more infuriated I become. Not only does he have to WAIT to earn what's due him, but now he finds out he has to PAY BACK what was given to him. REALLY? COME ON! I sympathize with all those that have posted regarding trying to get a space A flight to attend a family funeral, etc. I salute all of you who have served so valiantly and are now being treated with such disregard. It's as if the military is a lesser commodity to be thrown away when no longer needed. Thanks to all of you for your service to keep our country free.

17. I was a Civilian Technician and member, 41 1/2yrs, of an Air Guard Unit that is Geographically Seperated (GSU) from the Main Air Force Base. The GSU Unit receives logistic support and transportation support on scheduled weekend drills etc. I was denied Space A travel on the flight and made an inquiry. I was informed that Space A Travel is only authorized from one AMC supported facilitie to another. Security is handled by TSA at the Airport that services the Flights but as retired military I am considered a civilian and TSA wont do the Security requirements. Why are there special requirements for retired military? Why cant the locally supported unit suppot the Space A program? They support all other requirements like ID cards etc.

18. Robert H. Rounsefell | May 19, 2013 at 8:55 pm |

In the past I have flown Space A many times mostly to Europe primarily from McGuire AFB in NJ. I have taken my wife and the children as the family grew. We started on the C-ll8's which would land at every opportunity to refuel thus have visited Harmon, Newfoundland, Keflavic, Shannon, Goose Bay and a few others. As you can tell it was a long time ago. We watched the evolution of Space A coincide with the evolution of long distance travel going from the 118 to turboprops to jets and saw the trip reduced gradually from 22 hours to less than seven. These were not mission oriented other than to move troops and their dependents back and forth from Europe. I have been retired for 40 years, spent bocoup time in Special Forces and am 90% disabled due to Agent Orange. I did well in business and generally have the ability to pay my way but miss the fun of Space A. If you have the time it is the way to go. Like others I am not thrilled by the exclusion of disabled people considering the miserable war it happened in but that's the way it goes. I am 80 years ole and most of my travelling days are over. Enjoy it while you can

19. Why did everyone stop posting? hmmm

20. Michael McConnell | August 14, 2013 at 5:39 pm |

I am a 100% T&P service connected vet was told that did not qualify for space a. Is there laws going in effect anytime for this type of vet?

Comments are closed.