Retiree 1099R Tax Statements

I get an amazing number of emails from retirees, asking me to send them their 1099R tax statements.  I wish I could do this for these readers, but I can not.  I am not affiliated with the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) in any way, and I don’t have access to anyone’s information.

Retirees seeking their 1099R have two options:  retrieve it from their MyPay account, or call the DFAS  Retiree and Annuitants customer service telephone line at 1-800-321-1080.  This number is staffed Monday through Friday, 7 am to 6 pm Eastern Time.

If you don’t have a MyPay account, it should be relatively simple to set one up.  Unfortunately, many readers are having difficulty.  I recommend that you call the customer service number if you are unable to set up a MyPay account.

I always encourage people to set up a MyPay account because it allows them unlimited access to their pay and tax information, 24 hours a day.  You can check Retiree Account Statements at any time and retrieve old documents if necessary.  It is a handy tool and if you are computer literate enough to be reading this, you can manage the MyPay system.

Please don’t forget, I am unable to help you access your statements.  If you can’t access it via the MyPay system, please call the customer service number at DFAS for help.

About the Author

Kate Horrell
Kate Horrell is a military financial coach, mom of four teens, and Navy spouse. She has a background in taxes and mortgage banking, and a trove of experience helping other military families with their money. Follow her on twitter @realKateHorrell.

10 Comments on "Retiree 1099R Tax Statements"

1. kimra olde | April 8, 2013 at 6:41 am |

How do I update my address because my 1099R went to the wrong place

2. My father passed away this last July. My sister is the executor and had POA during his last few months. He was retired military and they are refusing to send her the needed 1099 r for tax purposes. Is there a certain way she can get this. She is responsible for his taxes and needs to get them filed.

3. Due to my ineptitude, I have been unable to secure my 2013 1099 r. I have tried 3 email addresses that at one time were current and still no temporary password. I passed my current email with DFAS 2 days ago and it is still not working. I am at my wits end trying to get the form so I can get my taxes prepared. You can't get through on the phone even using the number you listed above.

4. florida white | March 10, 2014 at 4:04 pm |

I need my 1099r for my taxes I have called and I am getting no where what can I do to receive it please help

5. My Grandfather passed away this last June 2013. He was widowed as my grandmother passed away a month before him. I am is Executor and Personal representative; he is retired military and I have had 5 conversations with the Customer Service line; who refuses to send a 1099R so I can complete their ESTATE taxes. I keep being told that the following form is required.

•SF1174 Claim for Unpaid Compensation of Deceased Member of the Uniformed Service

I have mailed in this form 3 times filled out with what I know and providing all required death certificate; letter of testamentary documentation. However; his descendents ( children) were estranged; so while I provided their names on the form; I have no contact information with them and no way to make them fill out this form; no addresses, no ssn. All I keep getting told when I call is that until that form is completed by them and processed; a 1099R will not be generated.

All I want to do is to pay their taxes and close out their estate but my hands are tied here; what can be done?

6. Gregory Nedell | January 20, 2015 at 1:49 pm |

How can I obtain my 1099 ax Form on-line ? I have been calling the 1-800 number for 2 days and all I get is all personnel are busy assisting other callers! Please call back later. I go through this every year for the past 5 or more years!

7. Gregory Nedell | January 20, 2015 at 1:54 pm |

Kate, I went through this the last few years! I have been at the same address for the last 10 years now! Why haven't I received my 1099R yet. I set up my pay account a few years ago also! he only change we have is a new email address only! It is: gnpnedell@gmail.com

8. Brown,William | January 30, 2015 at 11:25 am |

I have tried to ascertain my ID and password to enter the my pay cite to download my 1099 but it is almost impossible because I keep getting knocked out

9. Why was it easier last year, 2014, to get online and print out the 1099R form? I keep getting sent to search. Thank you.

10. Cora Ann Tannahill | February 25, 2015 at 12:16 pm |

I need to get a copy of 1099R for my deceased father, William D. Kissee., He Died Aug. 07, 2013. I am his POA, Exerotor of his estate. I did not recieve this form for 2013. The IRS want me to file a tax return for 2013.

Comments are closed.