Retiree 1099R Tax Statements

January 26, 2013 | Kate Horrell

I get an amazing number of emails from retirees, asking me to send them their 1099R tax statements.  I wish I could do this for these readers, but I can not.  I am not affiliated with the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) in any way, and I don’t have access to anyone’s information.

Retirees seeking their 1099R have two options:  retrieve it from their MyPay account, or call the DFAS  Retiree and Annuitants customer service telephone line at 1-800-321-1080.  This number is staffed Monday through Friday, 7 am to 6 pm Eastern Time.

If you don’t have a MyPay account, it should be relatively simple to set one up.  Unfortunately, many readers are having difficulty.  I recommend that you call the customer service number if you are unable to set up a MyPay account.

I always encourage people to set up a MyPay account because it allows them unlimited access to their pay and tax information, 24 hours a day.  You can check Retiree Account Statements at any time and retrieve old documents if necessary.  It is a handy tool and if you are computer literate enough to be reading this, you can manage the MyPay system.

Please don’t forget, I am unable to help you access your statements.  If you can’t access it via the MyPay system, please call the customer service number at DFAS for help.

Comments

1. kimra olde says:

How do I update my address because my 1099R went to the wrong place

2. Lee Ewing says:

My father passed away this last July. My sister is the executor and had POA during his last few months. He was retired military and they are refusing to send her the needed 1099 r for tax purposes. Is there a certain way she can get this. She is responsible for his taxes and needs to get them filed.

• Kate says:

My condolences on the loss of your father. According to DFAS, "Please note that 1099R’s are not automatically issued for deceased members. If you want to receive a 1099R on the behalf of a member who passed away, a certificate of death must be on file, and you must request that a 1099R be issued. http://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/survivors/Ret
      I hope that helps.

3. Bob says:

Due to my ineptitude, I have been unable to secure my 2013 1099 r. I have tried 3 email addresses that at one time were current and still no temporary password. I passed my current email with DFAS 2 days ago and it is still not working. I am at my wits end trying to get the form so I can get my taxes prepared. You can't get through on the phone even using the number you listed above.

4. florida white says:

I need my 1099r for my taxes I have called and I am getting no where what can I do to receive it please help

5. Stephanie says:

My Grandfather passed away this last June 2013. He was widowed as my grandmother passed away a month before him. I am is Executor and Personal representative; he is retired military and I have had 5 conversations with the Customer Service line; who refuses to send a 1099R so I can complete their ESTATE taxes. I keep being told that the following form is required.

•SF1174 Claim for Unpaid Compensation of Deceased Member of the Uniformed Service

I have mailed in this form 3 times filled out with what I know and providing all required death certificate; letter of testamentary documentation. However; his descendents ( children) were estranged; so while I provided their names on the form; I have no contact information with them and no way to make them fill out this form; no addresses, no ssn. All I keep getting told when I call is that until that form is completed by them and processed; a 1099R will not be generated.

All I want to do is to pay their taxes and close out their estate but my hands are tied here; what can be done?