Retiree 1099R Tax Statements

I get an amazing number of emails from retirees, asking me to send them their 1099R tax statements.  I wish I could do this for these readers, but I can not.  I am not affiliated with the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) in any way, and I don’t have access to anyone’s information.

Retirees seeking their 1099R have two options:  retrieve it from their MyPay account, or call the DFAS  Retiree and Annuitants customer service telephone line at 1-800-321-1080.  This number is staffed Monday through Friday, 7 am to 6 pm Eastern Time.

If you don’t have a MyPay account, it should be relatively simple to set one up.  Unfortunately, many readers are having difficulty.  I recommend that you call the customer service number if you are unable to set up a MyPay account.

I always encourage people to set up a MyPay account because it allows them unlimited access to their pay and tax information, 24 hours a day.  You can check Retiree Account Statements at any time and retrieve old documents if necessary.  It is a handy tool and if you are computer literate enough to be reading this, you can manage the MyPay system.

Please don’t forget, I am unable to help you access your statements.  If you can’t access it via the MyPay system, please call the customer service number at DFAS for help.

About the Author

Kate Horrell
Kate Horrell is a military financial coach, mom of four teens, and Navy spouse. She has a background in taxes and mortgage banking, and a trove of experience helping other military families with their money. Follow her on twitter @realKateHorrell.
  • kimra olde

    How do I update my address because my 1099R went to the wrong place

  • Lee Ewing

    My father passed away this last July. My sister is the executor and had POA during his last few months. He was retired military and they are refusing to send her the needed 1099 r for tax purposes. Is there a certain way she can get this. She is responsible for his taxes and needs to get them filed.

    • Kate

      My condolences on the loss of your father. According to DFAS, “Please note that 1099R’s are not automatically issued for deceased members. If you want to receive a 1099R on the behalf of a member who passed away, a certificate of death must be on file, and you must request that a 1099R be issued.
      I hope that helps.

      • Kate

        Mr. Moore, 1099R were mailed between 19 December and 10 January to the address on file with DFAS. They have also been available online since 5 December via the myPay online account access system. If you have not received your 1099R via the mail, I encourage you to set up a myPay account as it will make life easier in the future.

  • Bob

    Due to my ineptitude, I have been unable to secure my 2013 1099 r. I have tried 3 email addresses that at one time were current and still no temporary password. I passed my current email with DFAS 2 days ago and it is still not working. I am at my wits end trying to get the form so I can get my taxes prepared. You can’t get through on the phone even using the number you listed above.

  • florida white

    I need my 1099r for my taxes I have called and I am getting no where what can I do to receive it please help

  • Stephanie

    My Grandfather passed away this last June 2013. He was widowed as my grandmother passed away a month before him. I am is Executor and Personal representative; he is retired military and I have had 5 conversations with the Customer Service line; who refuses to send a 1099R so I can complete their ESTATE taxes. I keep being told that the following form is required.

    •SF1174 Claim for Unpaid Compensation of Deceased Member of the Uniformed Service

    I have mailed in this form 3 times filled out with what I know and providing all required death certificate; letter of testamentary documentation. However; his descendents ( children) were estranged; so while I provided their names on the form; I have no contact information with them and no way to make them fill out this form; no addresses, no ssn. All I keep getting told when I call is that until that form is completed by them and processed; a 1099R will not be generated.

    All I want to do is to pay their taxes and close out their estate but my hands are tied here; what can be done?

  • Gregory Nedell

    How can I obtain my 1099 ax Form on-line ? I have been calling the 1-800 number for 2 days and all I get is all personnel are busy assisting other callers! Please call back later. I go through this every year for the past 5 or more years!

  • Gregory Nedell

    Kate, I went through this the last few years! I have been at the same address for the last 10 years now! Why haven’t I received my 1099R yet. I set up my pay account a few years ago also! he only change we have is a new email address only! It is:

    • Kate

      Mr. Nedell, if you have a myPay account, then you can get your 1099R through myPay. If you have a new email address, then you need to update that, also through myPay. All of these things can be done via telephone or mail, but as you have experienced, these choices are very time-consuming.

  • Brown,William

    I have tried to ascertain my ID and password to enter the my pay cite to download my 1099 but it is almost impossible because I keep getting knocked out

    • Kate

      Mr. Brown, I wish I knew how to help you. Have you tried a different browser? Without knowing exactly the problem, I can’t be much help. Sorry!

  • Carla Lucas

    Why was it easier last year, 2014, to get online and print out the 1099R form? I keep getting sent to search. Thank you.

    • Kate

      Ms. Lucas, I’m afraid I don’t know. I’m not having any trouble here. Where are you running into problems – logging into your myPay account, or after you have gotten into myPay?

  • Cora Ann Tannahill

    I need to get a copy of 1099R for my deceased father, William D. Kissee., He Died Aug. 07, 2013. I am his POA, Exerotor of his estate. I did not recieve this form for 2013. The IRS want me to file a tax return for 2013.

    • Kate

      Ms. Tannahill, 1099R are not automatically sent for deceased service members. You will need to request a copy of his 1099R from the Defense Finance and Accounting Service. You can try to contact them via the internet, at, but I am not sure if you can request 1099R for deceased members via the web. You can also call them, but be prepared for a long wait.