Changing Direct Deposit of Military Pay

The question of the month:  How do I change the account to which my military pay (including retirement pay) is direct deposited?  Whew!  That is an easy one.

Active Duty

You can change your direct deposit account information online or via the regular mail.  To change it online, log into your MyPay account and select Direct Deposit in the Pay Changes section of the main menu.  Press the change button and enter your new account details.  You will need your bank’s routing number, your account number, and whether it is a checking account or savings account.

If you do not want to use or can not access the MyPay system, check with your finance folks.  They should be able to help you quickly and easily.


Retirees who live in US or certain US territories can also start, change or stop their direct deposit via the MyPay system.  Otherwise, retirees can fill out for SF1199A, Direct Deposit Sign Up Form, and mail it to the following address:

Defense Finance and  Accounting Service
U.S. Military Retired Pay
Post Office Box 7130
London, KY 40742-7130

It can also be faxed to 800-469-6559.  If you can’t print out the SF1199A, you can send a letter that includes your full name, social security number, new bank routing number, new bank account number, account type, signature and date.  If for some reason the link does not work for you, do a Google search for “form SF 1199A” and you should find several locations from which you can print.

Retirees who require additional assistance may also contact the Customer Service number at 800-321-1080.

Don’t have a MyPay account?  It is a great way to manage your pay, allotments and tax information and it is available online 24 hours a day.  Learn more at How To Access MyPay.

About the Author

Kate Horrell
Kate Horrell is a military financial coach, mom of four teens, and Navy spouse. She has a background in taxes and mortgage banking, and a trove of experience helping other military families with their money. Follow her on twitter @realKateHorrell.
  • Tyler

    you can’t do that anymore on mypay. Under pay changes the option is not listed

  • carol Jennings

    My pay I have tried everway to get log on or sign up. It will not let me it say the info in correct. What next with computer, a simple phone call is better,

  • sam anttila

    cannot download SP11994

    • KateKashman

      Thanks, Mr. Anttila, it seems that link was going to an address that is no longer working. I’ve put in a new link in the post,, or you can do a Google search for “Form 1199A” I appreciate you letting me know that the link was broken. Please let me know if there is any other way I can help.

  • CJJ

    Where is the Stop Direct Deposit button in the MyPay section you have listed above. Listed directly under the Retirees. Where is it??????????? I would like to be paid by paper check not direct deposit.

    • KateKashman

      CJJ, effective 1 March 2013, paper checks are no longer an option for federal benefit payments. They must be made via direct deposit or a government issued debit card. I believe that direct deposit is a significantly better choice. You can read more here:… Hope that helps!

  • M. Johnson

    I am finding the information needed to know how to change my direct deposit to another bank. I am having difficulty finding a form to accomplish this. I have clicked on anything that looked applicable and find more information on how to do it, but nothing to help me get it done. What am I missing?

  • Michael

    What’s the story on getting a government issued debit card and can I use it pay bills such as other credit cards? I’m retired living in another country. I’ll try to do just that when I return in November. THANKS!