2011 W-2 Release Schedule Announced

December 06, 2011 | Kate Horrell


Looking for the 2012 W-2 and 1099R dates?  Find it here:  2012 Tax Statement Release Schedule

The Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) has released the schedule of dates on which various W-2s will be available for the 2011 tax year.  W-2s are available online or by regular mail, but online access is available earlier than they will come via mail.  You can access your W-2 via your MyPay account on or after the stated date.  Don’t have a MyPay account?  Sign up for online access with these easy steps.

UPDATE:  Individual dates may have changed since this release was published.  DFAS is still publishing this as the official release dates, but some individuals may find that their W-2 or 1099 is available earlier than the official date.

Retiree 1099R:  MyPay 15 December 2011, mail date 19 December 2011 to 10 January 2012

Reserve Air Force, Army and Navy:  MyPay 6 January 2012, mail date 6-9 January 2012

Active Duty and Reserve Marine Corps:  MyPay 16 January 2012, mail date 19-21 January 2012

Active Duty Air Force, Army and Navy:  MyPay 24 January 2012, mail date 24-29 January 2012

Travel PCS:  MyPay 31 January 2012, mail date 20-25 January 2012

 If you PCSed last year, be sure to note that W-2s for taxable income from PCSing will not be available until 31 January 2012.  This usually only applies if you did a Personally Procured Move (PPM), formerly known as a DITY move.

Also, remember that technically, you should not file your taxes until you have your actual W-2.  Many people want to file with their last Leave and Earnings Statement.  I don’t recommend this because there are often corrections made to final numbers at the end of the year, and because the law says that you should not file until you have a W-2.  I know that it works for many people without incident, but filing a few days early doesn’t seem worth the potential hassle to me.  My life is complicated enough without asking the IRS to start digging around in my stuff.

Don’t see your date listed here?  Check out the complete list at the DFAS website.


  1. CAB says:

    With today's technology, why does it take 24 days to produce a W-2?

    • beans says:

      I'm sure they could publish them faster, but that increases the chance that there would be errors and then corrections. Just last year, my husband received a corrected W-2 a few weeks after the regular W-2s came out. I'm glad we hadn't filed our taxes yet because it would have been a pain.

  2. Dan-skee K. Doodle says:

    If I got out of the Army in May last year, and I'm still on IRR status, does this mean I will get my W-2 with the Reserve Soldiers? Or should I be expecting mine in the mail around April 1st?

  3. Jeremy says:

    I retired in July, my 2011 w-2 should be available when the active duty personnel's are available?

    • KateKashman says:

      Jeremy, you will get a W-2 for your active duty time, and a 1099R for your retirement pay. Your retirement pay 1099R was available on 15 December and can be accessed on MyPay. You will be able to access your active duty W-2 on the day your branch's regular W-2s are released.

  4. mishelle says:

    Is there a chance that the w2 for active navy could be out sooner than the 24thk

    • KateKashman says:

      Mishelle, I think it is unlikely. DFAS just mentioned on their Facebook page that they deliberately hold W-2s until the 24th to try to get as many changes for deployments, sea time, etc, into the W-2. This means fewer corrected W-2s later, which is definitely a good thing.

      It's not much longer :)

  5. Kyle says:

    Where does the Coast Guard fall on this schedule? I haven't seen them posted to Direct Access yet.

    • tyler says:

      W-2 data will be available in Direct Access Self-Service for most active duty and reserve personnel by 25 January 2011. The W-2 data is loaded in two "batches". The first batch, scheduled for 24/25 January, will include data for the majority of our active and reserve members, possible exceptions include:

      Members whose accounts were newly established in late 2011
      Members who separated or retired in 2011
      Members who received special, "off-line", payments in December 2011.

      If your W-2 data isn't available on 25 January, please check back on or after 02 February after the second batch is loaded.

  6. mishelle says:

    Thanks for your reply, then I’m just curious on why marine corp got there w2 today, 7 days earlier than expect date. What’s diff there active as well thanks so much

  7. blaman says:

    I agree with MIchelle..why are we always the last to get the w-2? Active should come first before reserve and retired and civilians if they arent going to release them all at the same date…

    • Corey says:

      If you listened w2 are poste already on my pay

    • Corey says:

      If you listened w2 are posted already on my pay

    • KateKashman says:

      Blaman, you bring up an interesting point but I think you are missing the reason that active duty W-2s come out later. Active duty pay has many more variables than civilian or retired pay. Active duty folks are forever starting and stopping special duty pays, sea pays, combat pays, etc. Since they would like the W-2s to be accurate, they can't send them out quickly. For example, last year my husband was on a ship in mid-December. By the time the ship's folks got the information up the pipeline, it was mid-January. There were all sorts of adjustments made at that time. Even so, we ended up with a corrected W-2 after the originals came out.

      In my opinion, I'd rather wait the extra week or two and have a greater chance that the W-2 is accurate.

  8. mishelle says:

    Corey not sure who your replying to? Because if your refering to me the no not all active w2 are up yet

  9. tyler says:

    What about Coast Guard? Don't see that anywhere on here

    • KateKashman says:

      Tyler, the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) does not provide support for the Coast Guard. Coast Guard pay and tax information is handled by the USCG Pay & Personnel Center. Their website is http://www.uscg.mil/ppc/default.asp. However, USCG W-2s are not available electronically. They will be sent by mail to the service members address as listed in their pay and personnel records.

      Hope that helps!

      • trevor says:

        The coast guard does upload W2 info on people soft. Last year it was uploaded on January 24th. This year I haven't found a reliable date.

        • KateKashman says:

          That is great news, Trevor. The guidance I read said that the information available online wasn't actually a W-2, but rather an uploading of the information available from the W-2. It stated that the information available online wasn't sufficient to submit your tax return. Here's what I found this: http://www.uscg.mil/ppc/w2.asp. I'm sure other Coast Guard folks will be anxious to find out how to access their W-2s online…please share!


          • Trevor says:

            The w2 Info uploaded to Direct Access has all the information needed for coasties to file their income taxes. My wife and I do it every year. On the same site you just mentioned it says
            " If you are an electronic filer, you can use the information on the Direct Access Self Service W-2 data page to prepare and file your return".
            You do not need to wait for a paper w2, but we do have to wait for them to upload the info.

          • KateKashman says:

            I agree that the website does state that you can use the information to file your return. However, that violates the IRS regulations that require that you have W-2 in order to file. The only situations in which you may legally file without a W-2 are when your employer does provide you with a W-2 in a timely fashion, and that requires additional paperwork and documentation. Professional tax preparers will never file a tax return without a physical W-2 as they are prohibited from doing so by the regulations in IRS Publication 1345. Individual taxpayers are not subject to the same scrutiny as professional tax preparers, but they are still subject to the same regulations.

            I’m not saying that you can’t do it, as obviously you can. Tons of people do it every year, and rarely is anyone penalized for doing so. However, it is still a violation of the law.

            I’ve never seen the point of being in a huge hurry to do your taxes. If you are having an appropriate amount of taxes withheld over the course of the year, the refund or payment due should be small. In my opinion, it isn’t worth rushing ahead, then potentially getting a corrected W-2 or receiving a late tax document that you didn’t expect and having to file an amended return. We never get all our other tax documents before the W-2 anyway, so it has never been an issue for us.

          • trevor says:

            You have way too much free time.

  10. Nate says:

    I got kicked out and wondering when my w 2 is gonna be available

  11. Hero614 says:

    So i'm air force and when i log into mypay it says that my w-2 will be available no later than 21jan. so why is this saying 24?

    • KateKashman says:

      Hero614, the originally published date was 24 January. That is still the date being used on all broad lists of W-2 release dates. The change to 21 January is fairly recent and, as far as I know, only shows up on once you have logged into MyPay.

  12. DThom says:

    What about Air force NAF DoD civilians using MyMoney when should our W2s be ready? All I’m seeing is dates for MyPay

    • CNB says:

      I'm wondering the same thing.. nothing so far as of Jan. 25

      • KateKashman says:

        I'm sorry that I didn't reply earlier…I tried to look it up but couldn't find anything and then I got distracted. I wish I had an answers.

        The good news is that the date that employers are required to mail/publish W-2s is 31 January. Not too much longer even if they go to the very last day.

  13. Pamela says:

    i got discharged from military on november 2011, how will i recieve my w-2 by mail or will it show up on my mypay?

    • Nichelle says:

      check it now, it should be there!
      I have mine and i ets'd out in July 2011 and i just printed mine.

  14. tyler says:


    W-2 data will be available in Direct Access Self-Service for most active duty and reserve personnel by 25 January 2011. The W-2 data is loaded in two "batches". The first batch, scheduled for 24/25 January, will include data for the majority of our active and reserve members, possible exceptions include:

    Members whose accounts were newly established in late 2011
    Members who separated or retired in 2011
    Members who received special, "off-line", payments in December 2011.

    If your W-2 data isn't available on 25 January, please check back on or after 02 February after the second batch is loaded.

  15. Jamie says:

    My husband got out of the army in feb 2011. He does not have a my pay anymore. Any idea when or how he will get his w-2???

  16. Jamie says:

    My husband got out of the army in feb 2011. He does not have a my pay anymore. Any idea when or how he will get his w-2??? Any help would be appreciated!!!

  17. Will says:

    I was medically separated from the Air Force during basic. Will my W-2 be mailed to my home on record or do I have to call them to get it?

  18. brandi says:

    i got out of the navy in march 2011 and have since moved out of state. how do i get my w2?

    • KateKashman says:

      Brandi, you should still have online access to your MyPay account. Separated service members retain access for a year. Within MyPay, you can print your W-2 or update your mailing address. If a hard copy W-2 was sent, it would have been sent to the address on file with your DFAS account.

      If you can not access your MyPay account, and you are unable to get your W-2 from your previous address, then you can call 888-332-7411 and ask for their assistance. Wait times are likely to be long during tax season.

      Good luck to you.

  19. Cheryl says:

    my son entered the air force in october 2011. Will his W-2 be sent to our home address? He has not been able to sign up for anything to even view his pay stubs. He graduated from lackland on Dec 9th and is finishing his training at Dover AFB. We need to file his taxes for his job he had before he left so any info would be greatly appreciated.

    • KateKashman says:

      Cheryl, your son needs to set up a MyPay account. His W-2 *might* be sent to the address that is on record, but the system is designed with online access as the primary way to get your W-2.

      I'm not intimately familiar with your son's training, but he should have time and assistance to get his MyPay account organized.

      Good luck to you and your son.

  20. hooaharmywife says:

    Anyone know who to contact to fix an army reserve w-2?? I know I've heard you just go to your local finance office, but we drill out of a reserve center and aren't on base. They listed that I had no federal taxes withheld, and of course, i've had them taken out every paycheck all year.

    • KateKashman says:

      hooaharmywife, trying calling 888-332-7411. This is the number that DFAS is publishing for Army reserve W-2 issues. Good luck!

  21. Jennifer says:

    My son still hasn't received a W2 either. We went on line to print it off of there also but it will not allow him to do that. This is so very frustrating! Why can't they just mail them out like everyone else does? We tried to create a password for him and it refused to let him. We tried to put in a login ID but it rejects it. Everything we try isn't working. And yes, we went to the MYPAY information pay which says what we need to use for each step but it isn't allowing anything to be done on there! If anyone has a phone # or contact person please post it. My son has a W2 from a summer job also so we need to find a way to get both W2's to his accountant before March 6th when he has to return to base. HELP!!!!

  22. Randy says:
  23. Joshua says:

    I retired on January 4th from the Marine Corps. it said to go to Mypay.com but I no longer have my military I.D. card? Should I wait and receive my W-2 in the mail or… what?

    • KateKashman says:

      Congratulations on your retirement! You do not need a military ID card to access MyPay. If you were using your CAC for MyPay access, I suggest you set up a user name and password so that you can continue to use MyPay. This will allow you to access your W-2, and will be useful in the future as you monitor your Retiree Account Statements, retrieve your 1099Rs, and keep your contact details up-to-date.

      Hope that helps.

  24. KateKashman says:

    Scooter, active duty folks retrieve their W-2s electronically via the MyPay system. They are only sent via regular mail under unusual circumstances. Your son needs to log into his MyPay account and print his W-2. If you are doing his tax preparation, he can set up a limited access password that will allow you to view and print his tax documents.

    Hope that helps.