How do you know if you could benefit from professional financial help? Here are 10 signs that things might be headed out of control:
- You are late paying your bills each month.
- You use credit for things you used to pay for with cash. (groceries, utilities)
- You fight with family members about money.
- You make debt payments with rent money.
- Creditors are calling or writing.
- You use payday loans.
- You aren't saving.
- You are the subject of repossession, eviction, or legal action.
- You are counting on a tax refund to solve your money problems.
- You transfer balances from one card to another without making any positive progress.
If any of these sound familiar, then you would certainly benefit from some professional advice. Fortunately, the military offers a variety of great ways to get help. MilitaryOneSource offers confidential counseling services both in person and via the telephone. Each branch of the service offers a personal financial management program (Army: ACS Financial Readiness Program, other services: Personal Financial Management Program) that can be accessed directly through your command or through your family support center. If you've checked yes to any of these items, make a plan to reach out and get some help to make a positive change.