Let me guess…at least one night in the last month, you have ordered pizza, driven through a fast food place or picked up take out when you hadn't planned to, right? That is pretty common. Life is moving fast and sometimes the thought of preparing dinner is just overwhelming. Eating out or ordering in is expensive and not very healthy. What's a solution?
Here's what I do…I have what I call our "freezer menu." It is a list of five or so days of meals that are quick and easy to make, and will last a long time in the cupboard or freezer. I'm the first to admit that they aren't the most healthy or glamorous meals, but they are better than nearly everything from a restaurant and the price is right. What kind of things might you put on a freezer menu? Here's what we have:
- Frozen chicken patties and frozen french fries with frozen edamame
- Boxed scalloped potatoes, frozen green beans and a ham slice.
- Macaroni and cheese and fish sticks with a veg
- Spaghetti with jarred sauce and turkey meatballs. Add frozen bread if you want to be snazzy.
- Kielbasa or Smoked Sausage with boxed rice: spanish, saffron, whatever you like – Yum
I'm pretty sure that you all have some variety of freezer menus in your minds, or maybe even in your freezers. Please share your ideas! For those of you who haven't tried this trick, give it a try. If it is too much to buy a week's worth of meals at once, just add one meal a week. The first time you manage to avoid Dominos or Burger King, it will pay for itself. Your wallet and your waistband will thank you!