When To Get Your W-2s and 1099Rs

Tax Statements

Tax season will soon be here, and lots of people anxious to get our W-2 and 1099R tax statements so that they can file their income tax returns.  The Defense Finance and Accounting Service has announced the dates that tax documents will be available to be downloaded through the MyPay online account access system.

Before we get to the dates, here are a few key factors to keep in mind:

  • Lots of people think that they’ll file their income tax return early using the information on their December Leave and Earnings Statement (LES) or Retiree Account Statement (RAS.)  While this would work in theory, it isn’t a great idea for several reasons.  First, the IRS say that you are not to file income tax returns until you receive your W-2 or 1099R.  Second, the military is notorious for making retroactive changes to pays and benefits, especially if you did anything of interest in December, like a TDY or deployment or PCS move.  One year, my husband receive multiple amended W-2s before we finally got final numbers.  Trust me, it is easier (and probably cheaper) to wait and file your return with accurate information than to have to file an amended return.
  • The fastest and easiest way to retrieve your W-2 and 1099R tax statements is via the myPay online account access system.  If you don’t have a myPay account, or you’ve locked yourself out, this is a great time to sort things out.  myPay gives you access to your pay information, withholding details, Thrift Saving Plan directions, and allotment set-up, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.  It is an awesome thing!
  • If you did a Personally Procured Move (PPM), formerly known as a Do It Yourself (DITY) move in 2015, you will need to be sure to access your travel W-2 after the 31 January 2016 release date.  PPM payments are taxable income and must be reported on your federal income tax return.
  • New for 2015, DFAS will be furnishing the required IRS forms that report healthcare coverage for military, retiree, annuitant and federal civilian employees. The forms will be available through the myPay system.  These forms, 1095-B and 1095-C, report that you have “minimum essential” healthcare coverage through either Tricare or the Federal Employee Health Benefit plans, as required by the Affordable Care Act.

Here are the dates for tax statements to be available:

Form/Document Date available on myPay Dates mailed via the USPS
Retiree Account Statement (RAS) 5 December 2015 19 December 2015 – 10 January 2016
Retiree 1099R 16 December 2015 19 December 2015 – 10 January 2016
Annuitant Account Statement (AAS) 15 December 2015 19 December 2015 – 10 January 2016
Annuitant 1099R 15 December 2015 19 December 2015 – 10 January 2016
Military VSI/SSB W-2 ** Not available via myPay 5-10 January 2016
Reserve Army, Navy, Air Force W-2 7 January 2016 10-14 January 2016
Civilian employee W-2 (DoD/Non-DoD) 8 January 2016 10-15 January 2016
Military/Military Retiree & Annuitant IRS Form 1095 13 January 2016 10-31 January 2016
Marine Corps Active & Reserve W-2 14 January 2016 16-20 January 2016
Army Non-Appropriated Fund Civilian Pay W-2 * 14 January 2016 Not available
Vendor Pay 1099 Not available via myPay 20-31 January 2016
Active Duty Army, Navy, Air Force W-2 24 January 2016 24-29 January , 2016
Civilian employee 1095-C
(Employer-Provided Health Insurance Offer and Coverage)
26 January 2016 25-31 January 2016
Vendor Pay MISC W-2  31 January 2016 20-31 January 2016
Travel Pay  W-2 31 January 2016 20-31 January 2016

About the Author

Kate Horrell
Kate Horrell is a military financial coach, mom of four teens, and Navy spouse. She has a background in taxes and mortgage banking, and a trove of experience helping other military families with their money. Follow her on twitter @realKateHorrell.

    What website do i go on to see the My Pay information? thanks, albert jones (aljones41@hotmail.com)

    • Kate

      Mr. Jones, the direct URL is https://mypay.dfas.mil/. If you misplace it, it can be found quickly by either going to the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) website at http://www.dfas.mil and clicking on the myPay link in the top right hand corner, or doing an internet search for “myPay.” Hope that helps!