From The Mailbag: Retiree Tax Information

Retirees are looking to prepare their federal income tax returns, and they’re looking for documents.  As always, MyPay is the way to go.


(edited to protect personally identifying information)

My husband and I have not received the Retiree Account Statement nor the 1099R’s – please advise how, when they are to be available/mailed out, ie, the procedure to receive them — thank you.  SJ

My Answer:

Mrs. J,
Retiree Account Statements and 1099Rs are available online via the MyPay system, or they will be mailed via the regular mail from mid-December to the 10th of January 2015.
I recommend you take the time to set up a MyPay account, as it gives you unlimited, free, online access to your Retiree Account Statements, early access to your 1099Rs, plus the ability to update your address, bank details, and tax information at any time.
I hope that answers your question.
I know that I tend to sound like a MyPay advertisement, but I can’t imagine life without access to view Leave and Earnings Statements or Retiree Account Statements, change bank deposit details, update Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) contributions, and all the other things you can do with a MyPay account.
Creating a new MyPay account requires a correct mailing address on file with the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) because your initial, temporary password is sent via the US postal service.  If your address on file is old, you will have to update it before starting the MyPay process.  Updating your address can be done online or by mail.
It can take a little effort to create an account, but it will save you a lot of time in the future.  I promise!

About the Author

Kate Horrell
Kate Horrell is a military financial coach, mom of four teens, and Navy spouse. She has a background in taxes and mortgage banking, and a trove of experience helping other military families with their money. Follow her on twitter @realKateHorrell.
  • Francis Guy

    I used to be able to get my 1099R and print it out from this website – I could also make changes to my disbursement accounts. I cannot figure out how to do it now.

    • Bethany

      The website you need to visit is

  • Harv

    How do I get my DFAS-CL 7220/148

    • Kate

      Harv, it is now called a Retiree Account Statement. It is available online via the MyPay system. I encourage you to sign up for myPay online access. Otherwise, a paper copy is sent once a year to the address on file with DFAS.

  • Bonita McFadden

    My 87 year old uncle is a retired veteran and died Dec 27, 2014 in the back woods of the Pocono Mountains. We know he was getting retirement money but we do not know anything else. He has one surviving sister (90 yrs) and one brother (84 yrs). Is there a way to find out if they are entitled to any military benefits as next of kin?