Military.com Wants to Hear From You on Pay and Benefits

April 28, 2014 | Kate Horrell

What do you think about the budget situation?  Obviously, our country is in a budget quandry, and there isn’t enough money for everything.  Several senior Pentagon officials have made comments that military service members would rather have money for equipment and training than pay increases and protected benefits.

Sgt. Maj. of the Marine Corps Michael Barrett told Congress that his Marines would prefer better equipment and training versus a 2 percent pay raise and protected benefits. Some troops and their families have pushed back against that sentiment.

Military.com has launched a survey to better understand how troops and military families feel about the Defense Department’s proposed changes to pay and benefits.

Readers can fill out the short, 10-question survey by clicking on the following link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NBDVG2J.

The questionnaire should only take participants a few minutes to complete. The first five questions deal with the specific proposals in the Pentagon’s fiscal 2015 budget request that would curb military pay and benefits. The last five questions seek basic demographic information.

Military.com has strong readership within the military community. By participating in this survey, readers will help us better communicate their concerns about the budget proposals to the department’s uniformed and civilian leadership.

Comments

1. guest says:

Answered. Intrigued to see the results

2. The Defender says:

I am certain the "Leaders" can afford a pay cut, probably even a 50% paycut and still meet their immediate needs. I am equally certain the average sailor, airman, soldier or marine cannot, not even a 1%. This is a great example of NOT taking care of our own.

3. Ken Landgren says:

$2000 salary with 1% pay raise and 3% inflation will equal a $1680 in 10 years.

4. Lisa says:

If the military is so concerned about budgets why are dual military personnel both being paid housing allowance and living under the same roofs when other active duty members can hardly afford to find a decent home that they can afford on the economy. Who knows how much the government is paying out each year.

• Kate says:

Lisa, dual military both receive housing allowances because BAH is part of the total military compensation. If you took away BAH because someone married someone else in the military, that would be completely wrong. For many military people, BAH is between 40 and 60% of their total compensation. I can't justify giving someone a 40% pay cut because of the person to whom they are married, and that would never be tolerated in the civilian world. Why would it be right in the miltiary? Dual military couples save the military a ton in other benefits.

5. franklin J latorre says:

my va card member#1316945240/my plan id#7346 243 588
    I am on orders to convert from military pay to civil service pay.
    I am up for the starting paygrade of a GS30
    I have worked Mac dill Tampa Florida since 1979
    There I have sealed orders to work for the FCC and FBI
    I am an administrative assistant for S5 and an assistant to the military police
    please get me military retirement pay and payment for services rendered

6. Patie Powers says:

Why is the survey closed? I know several people that have tried to complete it and have not been able to do so.