I stumbled across a new-to-me military scholarship opportunity, and I love this one because it is specifically for active duty and veterans! Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW), with the generous support of Sport Clips hair cutters, is providing scholarships to servicemembers and veterans. Each scholarship can be up to $5,000! From the website,
VFW and one of its major supporters, Sport Clips Haircuts, have again partnered to help our veterans and their families. The VFW “Sport Clips Help A Hero Scholarship” will provide service members and veterans with the financial assistance they need to complete their educational goals without incurring excessive student loan debt. It’s just another way to say “thank you” to those who deserve it the most!
The eligibility requirements seem pretty simple to me:
- Be a citizen of the United States
- Be retired, honorably discharged, active duty, or a member of the National Guard or Reserve
- Have completed Basic Training and follow-on training (Advanced Individual Training, Technical school, etc.)
- Have a military rank of E-5 or below
- Demonstrate a need for financial assistance
- Participate in, be accepted to or currently enrolled in a VA-approved program or school at an accredited post-secondary institution
I know that there are plenty of people who could benefit from a military scholarhship specifically aimed towards active duty and veterans. Additional details include:
- Limited to one per family
- Applications for the 2014 Fall semester will be accepted starting January 1, 2014. Deadline for applications will be April 30, 2014.
- Scholarships will be awarded for Spring 2014 semester beginning January 2014 and for Fall 2014 semester beginning July 2014.
- Scholarships must be used by the end of the upcoming school year for which the veteran is applying or they will become null and void
- Scholarships will be paid directly to accredited schools
I really hope that my readers can apply and be selected for these generous scholarships. As we know, Tuition Assistance doesn’t always cover all the costs of education, and no one wants to start using their GI Bill before they absolutely have to. What a great gift from the VFW and Sport Clips! I guess I will have to stop internally whining about the cost of Sport Clip’s lovely hot towel haircuts that my husband loves so much.