Ellen Giving DC Mil Family Home Makeover

January 09, 2014 | Kate Horrell

Do you know a DC-area military family that could use a home makeover?  The Ellen Degeneres show is giving away a free house redo to a military family in the DC area.  The application process looks pretty simple.

One comment from me:  please consider NOT applying if you don’t have some sort of need.  We could all use some help, and, heck, I have a DC area home that I would love to have remodelled.  However, I don’t NEED it.  I am absolutely, positively sure that there are some DC area military families that have genuine needs:  wounded warriors, sick children, house disasters, etc.  I think this blessing should probably go to someone with a true need.  You don’t have to agree with me, just consider what I’m saying.

There have been some unkind things said on the Facebook postings about this kind and generous offer.  Please don’t say unkind things here.  We’re supposed to be supporting each other, folks!

Please, please, please let me know if you apply and are selected.  I am going to be excited for whomever gets this awesome gift, but I would be even more excited if it was one of my readers.

Comments

1. Isabel says:

hello, i just like to say . Here in Barskdale A.F.B. Lousiana is military familis too we need home make over badly.

• Kami says:

Do you live on base or off? I've been there many, many times and those houses are really nice compared to other installations! Personally I'd rather it go to the single soldiers living in black mold infested barracks down at Fort Polk!

• najuma says:
  2. N Lauria says:

Amazing gesture. I was medically released from DC in 2012. There were many then. I have no home anymore, but I have my family. God bless all in need and I too pray it goes to a family in disparate need. There are many.

3. Cory says:

Don't do it. Your property tax will most likely go way up after. Not worth the risk.

4. Susan says:

I Love Ellen and all the wonderful charities she contributes too, as well as all the wonderful give-aways for the many in need, but do feel this cause should not be narrowed down to military families just from the DC area. There are so many military families of active/in-active/families of hero's that lost their life and veterans in desperate need of this make-over that should be taken into consideration. Very Disappointed it is narrowed down to only "1" area. :(

5. joann says:

I submitted my son's name but he lives in Virginia — water seeped through the roof of his home completely rotted the wood in the walls. He was in the process of getting ready to transition out of military in the fall and tapping into retirement to get the cash to repair the damage. He is ten years in the military.
    Doesn't want to foreclose because of security clearance and pride.