When Will 2014 Military Pay Be Announced?

Update 28 December 2013:  The President has signed the National Defense Authorization Act and it is now law.  The NDAA includes provisions for a 1.0% increase in military pay.  Read more here:  2014 Military Pay Charts.

Military Pay

Military pay rates are set by Congress and the President in the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA).  The 2014 NDAA has been approved by the House of Representatives and the Senate Armed Services Committee.  Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid stated in mid-November that it will be brought to the full Senate before Thanksgiving.  At that time, there was no reason to expect that it will not pass quickly.

Congress sure is good at surprising people, aren’t they?  It is now 7 December, and Congress has been on a recess since Thanksgiving.  They return to session on Monday, 9 December 2013.  The Senate was unable to pass the NDAA before it went on its Thanksgiving break because of arguments over amendments.  These disagreements still exist, though, and there are only two working weeks left in the Congressional calendar for 2013.  Whether the NDAA will be passed during those two weeks is unclear.  Speaker of the House John Boehner is urging the Senate to “get serious” about passing this legislation quickly.

The NDAA contains provisions for a 1% increase in military base pay, but some supporters are still hoping that it will be raised to 1.8%.  What does this amount look like in real money?  Check out the 2014 proposed pay charts or use Military.com’s pay calculator.

Basic Allowance for Housing

Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) rates are calculated using the results of each year’s annual housing survey.  These results are usually published in mid-December.  Rates can go up or go down, depending on the local rental market near each military installation.

Basic Allowance for Subsistence

Basic Allowance for Subsistence (BAS) rates are calculated using the Department of Agriculture’s annual survey of food prices.  This information is usually published in mid-December.  The 2014 federal budget has estimated that the increase will be approximately 3.4%.

Both BAH and BAS will be announced mid-December, and I’ll have them available immediately.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

About the Author

Kate Horrell
Kate Horrell is a military financial coach, mom of four teens, and Navy spouse. She has a background in taxes and mortgage banking, and a trove of experience helping other military families with their money. Follow her on twitter @realKateHorrell.

47 Comments on "When Will 2014 Military Pay Be Announced?"

1. Thanks, Kate, I was wondering where the legislation was.

This means that active duty & Reserve/Guard members could be getting a 1% pay raise while retirees are getting a 1.5% COLA. However a 20-year retiree's pension is half of base pay, so I guess the retiree COLA is still fewer dollars than the pay raise.

I guess the "good" news with these numbers is that inflation is still low.

2. House Reps were backing a 1.8 for military…nice try anyway….Barama and his gang were at 1.0 raise

3. That barely covers the increases in my insurance (auto & home). There are also increases scheduled for electric and water. The increases in just these bare necessities are far more than the $314.00 increase in my annual retirement!

4. Enjoy any pay raise we get this coming year, it will be the last before we start seeing pay and benefit cuts. So how much of a pay cut are our leaders taking?

5. Chuck Hagel has already set the Administration’s military pay (raise) cut agenda . . . STFB.

6. Darrell S. Ramsden | November 14, 2013 at 3:42 pm |

It doesn't pay to assume and I apparently assumed wrongly that retirees would receive a 1.5% increase, which I assumed had already been approved. So much for assuming.
    Darrell S. Ramsden

7. Congress gets an automatic "cost of living" raise that will increase the annual salary of members by $3,400 to a total of $158,103 per year. They're not doing their job but the guys on the front lines are….their raise 1%

8. Dean Buttman | November 14, 2013 at 4:18 pm |

What happened to free medical and dental
    I was guaranteed and was a reenlistment tool for my service. Remember; old timers.
    What political party takes from veterans?

9. "It is mid-November and we still have no idea what 2014 military pay and allowances will be. Sure does make it hard for a family to plan, especially a family who is PCSing over the holiday season."

Any military family should base a move or their family budget on the pay and allowances they are already getting. That will never decrease unless their service member gets fined for doing something punishable by the UCMJ.

As a former military member, now retired, I did not ever plan a budget on a military pay raise. It was never promised that I would get the raise I hoped for and I was always right. A "pay raise" for a service member is 1% and at least half of that is taken back in taxes. Make sense? Not to me!!

10. 1%, that’s a slap in the face. Our service men and woman FIGHT for this country and they get paid hardly nothing, while we have entertainers and athletes making millions. Something is defiantly wrong with this picture. It needs to CHANGE!!!

11. R J silversmith | November 14, 2013 at 4:51 pm |

The only way I se to get a raise worth something is to get some legislation that is worth something. The folks "WE" put in there are the ones we need to get out of there. I think the popular vote should be considered again. UNcadan

12. Boy, 1% that's great. I'm sure my son, 19 yr, ARMY, His 1st son 1 1/2 yr, NAVY, His
    2nd son 7mo. USMC live good now. OH, I just found out they have to pay $360,00
    a mouth for there meals in the chow hall. THEY BOTH(my grandsons) live on base. Since when did they have to pay for meals. I spent 30 yr. in the navy and
    never had to pay for meals before i got married.

13. 1% pay raise is the same as it has always been. What I don’t understand is why the military don’t get paid shit when they are the ones who go to war and fight for this country. The idiots in congress sure as hell could not do what are military does. And they get paid the big bucks There is to many people trying to run this country. They all need to have a pay cut get rid of the company cars a couple of houses and try living from pay check to pay check. They all need to get fired. !!!!!

14. Per nObama SOP, 2014 Military Pay will be announced in 2015!

15. Lets not STOP all the funds going to all the countries overseas. They need the money more than our troops in the USA. Great decision making by our president and congress. TOP PRIORITY SEND OUR GREAT TAX MONEY OVERSEAS. LOW PRIORITY TO OUR TROOPS !! THIS STINKS !! AND IT IS UNACCEPTABLE !!! SOMEONE IN GOVERNMENT PLEASE FIX THIS NOW!! OUR TROOPS ARE FIRST !!!!!!

16. Regardless of the numbers, raise or no raise, almost every member of congress (with very few exceptions) and the POTUS should be fired. They are all an embarrassment and disgrace to the offices they hold. They are self serving and do little for the people of this great nation who they continually fail to serve.

17. I WAS ALWAYS TOLD THAT WHEN ANY ORGANIZATION HAS A PROBLEM SUCH AS THEIR LEFT HAND DOES NOT KNOW WHAT THE RIGHT HAND IS DOING THEY WILL FAIL … SOUNDS TO ME LIKE WASHINGTON D.C. BUT GUESS WHAT THERE WAS NO DISAGREEMENT OR CONFUSION CONCERNING THE LAST BIG HIGH PERCENTAGE PAY RAISE THAT OUR LEADERS GAVE THEMSELVES… I SAY SHAME ON THEM AND THEY ARE NOT TRUE AMERICANS WORKING FOR THE PEOPLE WHO ELECTED THEM BUT THEY ARE WORKING ONLY FOR THEM SELVES .. THOMAS JEFFERSON SAID IT BEST AT A SPEECH BEFORE CONGRESS … QUOTE .. I FEAR THAT OUR LEADERS WILL BECOME SELF SERVING AND FORGET THE WILL OR THE NEEDS OF THE PEOPLE …

18. I don’t know why we think that they should give us a raise every year. Civil service reservists haven’t received a raise since 2010.
    In the civilian world since 2006 median income for 3rd fifth was $48k and by 2012 it had only increased to $51k. While an E-6 with 10 years service would have made $50k in 2006 and with no promotions his total pay would be $62k in 2012. I think the military is fairly paid now, or even paid more than we should be. If they froze the pay raises for a couple years no one should put up a fuss.

19. Get ready Secretary Hagel has already anounced cutting all pay so this increase is going back so they can have more high tech weapons!

20. Obama will be capping military active duty/retiree pay raises to fund his failed AHC debacle. This is just the beginning. The military will be decimated in the 3 years he has left. Current aircraft upgrades will be dumped. New aircraft funding will be severe and eliminate many and much needed replacements. Fees for tri-care will be increased, Commissaries/BX's and other military staples will go the way of the base theaters. Manning will be reduced, but the huge funding contract to continue drug tests for 50-70 year old government contractors will increase. The surge for Hillary as the next president has began as Bill wants his bed back in the White House. As I see it, the Demo's have screwed the pooch but the Repub's have no leadership, I mean zero. So HILLARY's next and she's considering Harry Reid as the Vice. See anything good here?

21. How much planning does it take to account for $8.00 a month after taxes?

22. My retired pay increase has been less than the Senate, legislature and most government, federal, state and county, pay increases. How is that right? And it's way below the REAL cost of living increases.

Grammar Police:
    "That’s a popular question these days, and fairly enough".
    … and [it's] fair enough.

23. My retired raise always gets eaten up by a higher tax bracket/higher drug co-pay/higher medicare monthly payment!

24. Well it has come to this… And they always go for the most vunable people. Disabled veterans and disabled social security people. A lot of people live on this weather they want to or not. There are a lot of people they will be disapoint.
    My husband and I have already planned our future, we won't be here. It maybe the easy way out- Iam sure we are not the only ones that will do this.I hope the President realizes that blood will be on his hands. What a bunch of children and I am sick and tired listening to all of them. They can't even balance a budget.

25. Yeah Dean I remember those promises when I enlisted in 71. They didn't last long. The chumps controlling the purse strings do not care, never have and never will. They have no problem raising their own pay each year and they do not do 1/1000 th of the work an E-3 in any of the services does. They have no respect for us and that goes from potus on down. I wish we could just fire all of them.

26. Every one of us in this business of diplomacy with bullets gave a valid signed check payable to the United States of America for any amount, up to include his life. We were made into heartless and violent killers, to the point that the animal impulses or sex, the maxim from Herr Freud, was indeed a farce, because for combatant in the trenches of Pork Chop Hill, every time our bayonets made its intended purpose, and the enemy bled to death, the pleasure perceived was superior in intensity and essence to the Austrian claim.
    But then, violent and heartless killers, and that's exactly what we were, can only work with his refined education with employers like Pablo Escobar or Don Corleone.

27. WOW!! Look what you've started SMH! So what if we don't have a date yet. KEEP living within your means like you do EVERY month Geesh!! You act like your going to get a MILLION dollar raise. THink your going to get a few extra dollars and everybody goes in to panic mode. STOP giving these people aNOTHER reason to complain………..

28. Many complain here about a lousy or maybe zero pay raise. Do you know why? It is because many are serving for 4 years and leaving the service and making a VA claim then getting a disability check for the rest of their lives. My neighbors did 2 tours in Iraq as MP'S now are making close to 8 grand new house, cars going to college. When I first enlisted I made 549 a month, nothing more. Enjoy

29. Why can't our pay raise match the cost of living.

30. thomas coleman | November 15, 2013 at 6:26 pm |

congress get a automatic pay raise. we get crumbs. only in America. I pick the wrong profession. I should have ran for congress.

31. michael loveo | November 15, 2013 at 8:38 pm |

the cost of dental tri care is more then 1 % for the new year.
    stop payung congress for 3 monts and we all can get a 3 % rase.

32. Well is everyone done whining and sniveling? If you haven't used your GOD given right to vote stop your whining, until you use YOUR vote to get rid of the key players in this stupid move of 1% pay raise for the military YOU haven't done your part, has the whole country been taken STUPID pills or what? WHY do you keep electing the same people who have lied time after time????,

33. After looking at what the government pays their military members in Canada, Australia and United Kingdom. I just feel like our service members in the US are shortchanged….Do a simple google search and you can see the difference for yourself.

34. What I think is that we all are fed up with congress we should put limits how long they can stay in the job. We put limits on the presidency why not congress, because now they are not there for the common people they are there for the special interest groups. And how much they can put in there own pockets. these individual are not in touch with what really going on. there only concern if they are going to be reelected. these politicians that are in office right now should not be reelected.

35. Once again, our members of Congress put themselves first and the Military last. What a slap in the face to our Active and Retired members! There is no consideration for inflation or the real life price changes that happen every year. Having a 1% increase is, in reality, nothing as the increase will most likely be taken back in taxes!

I wish that "We the People" will remember this when elections come up next year. I also hope that "We the People" force new amendments to the Bill of Rights which would limit the terms for Congress & Senate to TWO terms (12 years). Why? Because there are too many senior members that appear to be more interested in their office instead of the people they represent.

The other amendment would be to connect their pay to performance & attendance. I seriously doubt that Congressional members would accept the 1% increase forced upon our military. SO, Congressional members: Remember that We The People will speak next year. You can pack your bags now as you services are no longer desired or required.

36. If you want to see something amazing look at the Funding bill from 2010 where it gives authorization for all Active Duty Servicemembers to have Flexible Spending Accounts which could potentially save us THOUSANDS per year in tax savings on things we already pay for like Child Care and non Covered medical expenses. CALL YOUR CONGRESSPERSON AND DEMAND WE GET ALL BENEFITS THAT WE ARE AUTHORIZED!!!

37. From reading some of the comments above I don’t expect to get any sympathy but thought I might share some info. Are you aware that quite a few Soldiers who were getting special duty pay are probably going lose it or have it reduced? You may not think they deserved the extra pay to begin with but that isn’t the point. The point is some here are complaining about a 1% increase where some of us are getting a pay cut.

38. ASK question.? my friend husband passed away and she get half his retirement and she wants to know if she got a job would she lose her husbands retirement. cause she counts on that to pay for her house.

39. Those who have given so much deserve no less than our best. It is clear: one party is supportive of demonstrating gratitude through practical support and one is not. This should not be. Support of America's military should transcend political parties.

40. SFC Pettway Retired | December 12, 2013 at 5:03 am |

It seems to me that many military and x-military are very angry and with reason I agree. I am a disabled veteran living on social security and my disability pay. We went over 3 years with out a cost of living increase but no one seems to remember that do they? The military was still getting their COL increase but the retirement community and social security was not. Something to remember I think. Yes we all volunteered to serve this country of ours when it was a great country. Now it is not even the great country it once was. Even with all of our "Fighting, dying and energy we all put forth" I think it is about time that we speak up not in here where no one really hears up but each other. But out there in the news, in the communities where our voices can be heard, do Vet to Vet. Write your congress men and women, write your senators and do something that may make a difference. Be an informed voter and vote those people out that are not doing what you wish or don't have the same belief systems as you do. But stop bitching because it isn't getting us any where but maybe relieving some blood pressure here and there. (Smile)

41. to whom it may concern
    i have a question about military pay for 2014 it is coming up so quicky and i need answers also on the pay raise do you know what retirees get my husband served 20 years in the navy and i have heard between 1 percent and 1.8 percent can u help me with both of these please
    tammy

42. What will be the 2014 BAS rate?

43. My retired pay went up $28.00/month.
    My mortage went up $40.00/month.
    What freakin' pay raise???

44. Oh, yes- and now that I'm 65, I'm having to pay $104/month to keep my Tricare benefits I was PROMISED for life,.
    Like I said- WHAT freakin' pay raise??

45. Recruiters Wife | January 1, 2014 at 4:25 pm |

Does anyone know if the rumors are true about recruiter special pays are being reduced? We are already too far away from a post to get our medical care without having to pay for it and they are closing the commissaries which is still an hour away. We are barely surviving with his recruiter pay never mind lose that big chunk of pay that helps us feed our family!

Comments are closed.