ThanksUSA, a charity that supports military families, offers scholarships for U.S. military servicemembers’ dependents. This program is offered to a wider range of applicants than most military scholarship programs, so be sure check and see if you might be eligible.
If you aren’t familiar with ThanksUSA, you should check them out. In addition to providing scholarships, they have a neat National Treasure Hunt activity that kids (and adults) can do online. And if you are looking for someplace to donate your charitable offerings, I’m sure they’d be glad to accept them.
This scholarship opportunity is available to:
- dependent children, age 24 and under of U.S. military service members,
- or spouses of U.S. military service members,
- this includes killed or wounded service members, and separated or retired members. The way I read the rules, this means that dependents of veterans are eligible. Someone please let me know if I am wrong!
- Must be a current high school senior or high school graduate who plan to enroll in, or a current student who isalready enrolled in, undergraduate study at an accredited two-or four-year college/university/vocational-technical school for the entire 2013-14 academic year.
- Dependent children must enroll full-time. Spouses may attend full or part-time.
- Must have at least a 2.00 cumulative grade point average (GPA) on a 4.00 scale or its equivalent on their relevant academic record (e.g., high school transcript for incoming freshmen, post-secondary school record for those already enrolled in a college, university or vocational/technical school).
The 2013 program will accept applications from April 1 through May 15. ThanksUSA will award up to 500 scholarship for the 2013-2014 academic year.