Thanks USA Scholarship Apps Open

April 02, 2013 | Kate Horrell

ThanksUSA, a charity that supports military families,  offers scholarships for U.S. military servicemembers’ dependents.  This program is offered to a wider range of applicants than most military scholarship programs, so be sure check and see if you might be eligible.

If you aren’t familiar with ThanksUSA, you should check them out.  In addition to providing scholarships, they have a neat National Treasure Hunt activity that kids (and adults) can do online.   And if you are looking for someplace to donate your charitable offerings, I’m sure they’d be glad to accept them.

Eligibility

This scholarship opportunity is available to:

• dependent children, age 24 and under of U.S. military service members,
  • or spouses of U.S. military service members,
  • this includes killed or wounded service members, and separated or retired members.  The way I read the rules, this means that dependents of veterans are eligible.  Someone please let me know if I am wrong!

Educational Requirements

• Must be a current high school senior or high school graduate who plan to enroll in, or a current student who isalready enrolled in, undergraduate study at an accredited two-or four-year college/university/vocational-technical school for the entire 2013-14 academic year.
  • Dependent children must enroll full-time. Spouses may attend full or part-time.
  • Must have at least a 2.00 cumulative grade point average (GPA) on a 4.00 scale or its equivalent on their relevant academic record (e.g., high school transcript for incoming freshmen, post-secondary school record for those already enrolled in a college, university or vocational/technical school).
There really are a lot of details to this scholarship, but in a good way.  It is open to a lot more people than many comparable scholarships.  I strongly recommend that you check out all the guidelines at the Scholarship Guideline Webpage.

The 2013 program will accept applications from April 1 through May 15. ThanksUSA will award up to 500 scholarship for the 2013-2014 academic year.

Comments

1. Sherry Koch says:

Kate, thanks for posting! Yes, ThanksUSA scholarships are available to the spouses and dependent children of active-duty, retirees, guard, and reserves, as long as the military member served in an active-duty capacity for at least 180 days since 9/11/01. I'd be happy to answer any other questions directly. -Sherry Koch, ThanksUSA Program Manager & Proud Navy Spouse

2. amy says:

how about for upcoming seniors for the 2013-2014 school year? would you wait to apply?

Amy, students who will still be in high school in 2013-2014 are not eligible to apply this year. They would apply in 2014 for the 2014-2015 school year.

3. John Lark says:

I'am retire Army with over 21 yr. Can I transfer my schooling to my granson?

Mr. Lark, I'm afraid not. If you were still on active duty, you would be eligible for transfer your Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits to your dependent children. However, Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits are not available for transfer to grandchildren, and any transfer of benefits must occur while you are still on active duty.

4. Jen R says:

Now I am using the VRAP which will expire in November. I have been maintaining a GPA of 3.5 in Criminal Justice. My question is can I still apply for a scholarship? and if so would anything extra go to me? I already know about the Pell grant I had already started using prior to July 2008 , I went to school at Kaplan for 2 terms. So I am able to get as many pell grants till I get my BS. Please advise how I can go about getting more scholarships I am a single mother veteran USAR from 2002. Honorably discharged 12/31/2002. After November I have to find a way to be able to continue schooling online at Everest which I am jamming out 20 credits per 12 weeks now. I will be needing money to be able to live on, pay my rent and so forth……my son is in school and is 6 years old. I am currently being seen for MST/PTSD and I am aware it is going to take a long time before I get anywhere with the claim so I am not sure where to start. Any ideas would be most helpful and needed thanks

Jen, with regard to this scholarship, you should contact Thanks USA to ask. Have you used your Post 9/11 GI Bill yet? Have you applied for other scholarships? There are many good scholarship listing websites such as FastWeb.com. You should also check with the various veterans groups, as they usually have the most up-to-date information. Good luck to you.