Changing VA Disability Direct Deposit

Do You Need Umbrella Liability Insurance?

A common question in my email box is:  “how do I change the bank account into which my disability payments are direct deposited?”  That’s a good question.  Changing direct deposit account information is quick and easy.

There are three ways to change your direct deposit account information:  online, via telephone and via the mail.  I strongly recommend that you utilize the VA eBenefits system.  It’s your best choice for speedy service.

• Online, you can create a VA eBenefits account and make changes through the account.  An eBenefit account will also give you 24/7 access to your payment history, GI bill information, and all sorts of other items.  If you receive VA benefits, you should create a VA eBenefits account.  It is be the fastest and most convenientway for you to conduct any business with the VA.
  • Via mail, fill out and send the VA Form 24-0296.  You can find it here:  http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-24-0296-ARE.pdf.  The directions are on the form.
  • Via telephone, by calling 1-877-838-2778.  I have looked at this one and I wonder how they can verify that you are actually the person calling.  If you find out, please let me know.  I’m curious.

I always love getting emails from readers.  I can’t answer every one, but I do try.  Even if I am unable to personally respond to your email, I use the information from these emails to understand what information will be most helpful to my readers.

Thank you, and happy Saturday!

About the Author

Kate Horrell
Kate Horrell is a military financial coach, mom of four teens, and Navy spouse. She has a background in taxes and mortgage banking, and a trove of experience helping other military families with their money. Follow her on twitter @realKateHorrell.

30 Comments on "Changing VA Disability Direct Deposit"

1. Shannon Ketchersid | March 16, 2013 at 9:24 am |
  2. cj dickerson | March 19, 2013 at 10:09 pm |

You may also submit the change by logging on EBENEFITS.VA.GOV WEBPAGE AND DO IT ELECTRONICALLY. It goes right to the va from there.
    AMVETS NSO

3. Elijah King, Jr. | March 21, 2013 at 9:11 am |

The easiest way to change it is through E-Benefits.I encourage all veterans to have this account. VA tracks all information that they have on you. You have direct on-line access to do just about anything. If you do not have an account establish one.
    https://eauth.va.gov/ebenefits-portal/ebenefits.p… _nfpb=true&_nfxr=false&_pageLabel=Home

Elijah King Jr., CSM(Ret)
    Chief of Staff Army & Fort Hood
    Retiree Councils
    Fort Hood, TX 76544
    Office: (254) 702-3648 http://www.armyg1.army.mil/rso/RetireeCouncil.asp

4. How do change that back to just getting a check?

5. I live in Korea and cannot figure out how to change the direct deposit. When I call the direct deposit line they have a recording that says they are too busy and call back later. They say I can call back after duty hours and request a call back, but the truth is they will not call an international number. Anyone else had this issue and solved it?

6. Kevin Willey | April 24, 2013 at 9:59 am |

Can I check online to see if the travel pay has been sent to my account??

7. Ebenifits page for me has Zero data on the page at all. None.

8. I have an ebenefits account but in trying to change my direct deposit to another credit union I found I had to have a premium ebenefits account. So, last night I followed all the required steps to upgrade, got a message that I was upgraded and instructions to respond to the next screens. I did this and ended up at a screen that told me I had to register for a premium account. I followed this circular never ending foolishness for about an hour and a half until giving up. I logged on again this morning and apparently wound up at my non-premium account. Thinking I might have a better experience again I did the premium registration process again and wound up with the same results again. After an hour I gave up.

Last night after giving up I tried the toll free number thinking it would be easier. I ended up with a message that all the counselors were busy and to call back. I did several times with the same results. I tried the phone number again this morning with the same results.

I have never had a successful experience using ebenefits. Each time I've tried to use it I wind up in a circular exercise that fails to complete whatever actions the website requires. I usually go through 3 to 5 screens and it looks like I have been successful but before I can complete the action I end up with a screen that is a start over. It's not worth the time, the effort, or the frustration to deal with ebenefits. The quickest and easiest way, at least for me, is to download the form, complete it, and put it in the mail. I'm looking at 5 minutes or less of time and effort.

9. leod1948 – I just went through this with them. I had followed the same roundabout loop every time I tried to log on. So I called the help line. Basically I guess what happens is when you apply for a premium account (or probably when you logon and change your password or forget your user name etc and have to reset those, it puts you back in that loop. So what you have to do is log on, then LOG OFF, then close your browser completely and log on again and it will work. After I did that it didn't take me to the strange white account settings page.

10. Tried to set up an account with eBenefits to change my disabilty auto deposit but it says I am not found in DEERS. Researching this I found that since I am not active or retired (Viet Nam era Vet) I am not in DEERS and because of that I cannot set up an account through eBenefits.

11. i know you won't read this but here goes. Your e what ever is of no benefit as it is inaccessible. Why don't you have us write the bible backwards in greek then see who will apply. I know you don't give a – – – -. This is why the V.A. is in the condition it is in. Take 5 years to get benefits.

12. how do I change my direct deposit from one bank to another bank ?

13. If I wanted to call and change it to a Diff. Acc. What number would I call,?

14. Stanley Nicodemus | October 25, 2013 at 6:00 pm |

I keep getting an template error when trying to get into the direct deposit section so I can up date it.

Anyone else have this issue?

15. michael blevins | October 29, 2013 at 11:31 am |
  16. As of October 8, 2013 I was issued 100% disability, the government told me in a letter that on November 1, 2013 I would receive my first check, I was 20% disabled but now I have ALS and now I am 100% disabled and according to a letter issued by the VA I will receive my first payment November 1, 2013, but I did not receive the payment for my 100% monthly payment, but I did receive payment for the 20% that I was disabled. Is the government having problems issuing out the big checks for the 100% or should I just wait till Monday and call, I’m not really sure what I should do. The government has my direct deposit number as they did direct deposit my 20% payment but I’m not 20% anymore I’m 100% percent and they have the same direct deposit number to my bank, that hasn’t changed. What should I do?
    Mark

17. I attempted to utilize the via email process to change my disability direct deposit, however I can't access the reverse side of the form to follow the instructions for the transaction. Can you help me.

Thanks,
    Mike

18. Does anyone know the deadline to change the direct deposit information with the VA? I changed banks and need to update my direct deposit information. The lines have been busy with no call back options until Tuesday 21 January 2014 because the site has been down for 3 days or more. I believe that this is because the site was breeched recently.

19. We go round and round and round, but when it ever stops, no one has found…

20. it takes 1 month for direct deposit to be changed

21. The way they verify it's you is they request your previous account and routing numbers and the exact amount of the last deposit from VA.

22. how many days does it take to switch

23. We called in Dec 2013, today is March 3, 2014 and the change has not been made. We were told it would take 2 months because of the holidays. Currently at 3 months and the phone line will not accept calls at this time.

24. Can you tell me where to find the link for changing direct deposit info for widows benefits, please?

25. Emily M. Marina | March 10, 2014 at 7:17 pm |

I need to know how do I change my direct deposit from one account to another I had to close the account that it was going into.

26. I had no Trouble whatsoever changing my Direct Deposit from one account to another. Took me about 5 minutes. Easy as Pie. Must be an Army thing, not being able to Get'r Done!!! Us Navy Men do not fool around!! LOL

27. How long does it take for your direct deposit to change I changed it on ebenefits and it is updated on the website so am I good to go will it deposit in my new account

28. I tried 12 times with the 1-877-838-2778 phone number to get my VA direct deposit updated….no luck and on hold FOREVER. I tried 10 times on the ebenefits site….no luck there either. I have the premium account on ebenefits and still was not able to update my info as it showed NOTHING at all when I click on the link to update my direct deposit info. What a agency the VA is….poorly ran.

29. NEED HELP IN TRANSFERRING MY HUSBAND'S DISABILITY CHECK TO ANOTHER CREDIT UNION

Comments are closed.