Changing VA Disability Direct Deposit

March 16, 2013 | Kate Horrell

A common question in my email box is:  “how do I change the bank account into which my disability payments are direct deposited?”  That’s a good question.  Changing direct deposit account information is quick and easy.

There are three ways to change your direct deposit account information:  online, via telephone and via the mail.  I strongly recommend that you utilize the VA eBenefits system.  It’s your best choice for speedy service.

• Online, you can create a VA eBenefits account and make changes through the account.  An eBenefit account will also give you 24/7 access to your payment history, GI bill information, and all sorts of other items.  If you receive VA benefits, you should create a VA eBenefits account.  It is be the fastest and most convenientway for you to conduct any business with the VA.
  • Via mail, fill out and send the VA Form 24-0296.  You can find it here:  http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-24-0296-ARE.pdf.  The directions are on the form.
  • Via telephone, by calling 1-877-838-2778.  I have looked at this one and I wonder how they can verify that you are actually the person calling.  If you find out, please let me know.  I’m curious.

I always love getting emails from readers.  I can’t answer every one, but I do try.  Even if I am unable to personally respond to your email, I use the information from these emails to understand what information will be most helpful to my readers.

Thank you, and happy Saturday!

Comments

1. Shannon Ketchersid says:
  2. cj dickerson says:

You may also submit the change by logging on EBENEFITS.VA.GOV WEBPAGE AND DO IT ELECTRONICALLY. It goes right to the va from there.
    AMVETS NSO

3. Elijah King, Jr. says:

The easiest way to change it is through E-Benefits.I encourage all veterans to have this account. VA tracks all information that they have on you. You have direct on-line access to do just about anything. If you do not have an account establish one.
    https://eauth.va.gov/ebenefits-portal/ebenefits.p… _nfpb=true&_nfxr=false&_pageLabel=Home

Elijah King Jr., CSM(Ret)
    Chief of Staff Army & Fort Hood
    Retiree Councils
    Fort Hood, TX 76544
    Office: (254) 702-3648 http://www.armyg1.army.mil/rso/RetireeCouncil.asp

4. thomas says:

How do change that back to just getting a check?

Thomas, federal benefits must be paid via electronic transfers. If you do not like having direct deposit, there is a way for you to have your payments loaded onto a prepaid debit card. Look at <a href="http://www.va.gov” target=”_blank”>www.va.gov for more information.

5. Jean says:

I live in Korea and cannot figure out how to change the direct deposit. When I call the direct deposit line they have a recording that says they are too busy and call back later. They say I can call back after duty hours and request a call back, but the truth is they will not call an international number. Anyone else had this issue and solved it?

• Rob Robinson says:

You can get a family member, or friend, to purchase a cell phone, establish the phone number of that cell phone, in the United States, then send you the phone through the APO.

The phone then has a CONUS number, and is callable to you anywhere in the world, provided you can get signal from your particular carrier.

This is how many of the government cell phones operate, for people who travel around the world on government business.

You can ask your Battalion G2, I think it is, which company provides service to Korea.

6. Kevin Willey says:

Can I check online to see if the travel pay has been sent to my account??

• Stephanie Nelson says:

Can I check on travel pay to see if it has been added to my account as of yet cause they owe me aloot I have all my dates

7. Robert says:

Ebenifits page for me has Zero data on the page at all. None.

8. leod1948 says:

I have an ebenefits account but in trying to change my direct deposit to another credit union I found I had to have a premium ebenefits account. So, last night I followed all the required steps to upgrade, got a message that I was upgraded and instructions to respond to the next screens. I did this and ended up at a screen that told me I had to register for a premium account. I followed this circular never ending foolishness for about an hour and a half until giving up. I logged on again this morning and apparently wound up at my non-premium account. Thinking I might have a better experience again I did the premium registration process again and wound up with the same results again. After an hour I gave up.

Last night after giving up I tried the toll free number thinking it would be easier. I ended up with a message that all the counselors were busy and to call back. I did several times with the same results. I tried the phone number again this morning with the same results.

I have never had a successful experience using ebenefits. Each time I've tried to use it I wind up in a circular exercise that fails to complete whatever actions the website requires. I usually go through 3 to 5 screens and it looks like I have been successful but before I can complete the action I end up with a screen that is a start over. It's not worth the time, the effort, or the frustration to deal with ebenefits. The quickest and easiest way, at least for me, is to download the form, complete it, and put it in the mail. I'm looking at 5 minutes or less of time and effort.

• Kristin says:

Hoping this sends you a message that I replied to your post.

• Michael Marquette says:

I started an ebenefits account, but found you need "premium access" to change institutions for direct deposit. I tried that route, but it stated I could not be identified remotely. So, what is the best way to do this? People are doing this all the time. I want to change from a bank to a prepaid debit card. What do you know about the recommended prepaid card, I believe it is Direct Express? I looked at the form 24-0296 which looks like it is to be used for initial direct deposit or can I just put the new information for deposit without mentioning the current information?

Please help.

I don't want to call anyone and be put on "hold" forever, which has been my experience in the past.

• paul salkaln says:

I had the exact same dreadful experience.
      Used up a lot of prescious minutes.

9. Kristin says:

leod1948 – I just went through this with them. I had followed the same roundabout loop every time I tried to log on. So I called the help line. Basically I guess what happens is when you apply for a premium account (or probably when you logon and change your password or forget your user name etc and have to reset those, it puts you back in that loop. So what you have to do is log on, then LOG OFF, then close your browser completely and log on again and it will work. After I did that it didn't take me to the strange white account settings page.

10. Jeff says:

Tried to set up an account with eBenefits to change my disabilty auto deposit but it says I am not found in DEERS. Researching this I found that since I am not active or retired (Viet Nam era Vet) I am not in DEERS and because of that I cannot set up an account through eBenefits.

11. r massman says:

i know you won't read this but here goes. Your e what ever is of no benefit as it is inaccessible. Why don't you have us write the bible backwards in greek then see who will apply. I know you don't give a – - – -. This is why the V.A. is in the condition it is in. Take 5 years to get benefits.

12. melvin burrow says:

how do I change my direct deposit from one bank to another bank ?

13. Dave Hizer says:

If I wanted to call and change it to a Diff. Acc. What number would I call,?

14. Stanley Nicodemus says:

I keep getting an template error when trying to get into the direct deposit section so I can up date it.

Anyone else have this issue?

Mr. Nicodemus, you may need to install Adobe Reader to view the form. Also, it might be a browser issue. If you don't want to mess with your computer, you might try a friend or neighbor's computer, or a computer from the library. I hope this helps. Readers, do you have any other suggestions?

• Stanley Nicodemus says:

I already have Adobe Reader on my system. I've tried 3 different browsers and get the same error.

• dave says:
  15. michael blevins says:
  16. Mark Barber says:

As of October 8, 2013 I was issued 100% disability, the government told me in a letter that on November 1, 2013 I would receive my first check, I was 20% disabled but now I have ALS and now I am 100% disabled and according to a letter issued by the VA I will receive my first payment November 1, 2013, but I did not receive the payment for my 100% monthly payment, but I did receive payment for the 20% that I was disabled. Is the government having problems issuing out the big checks for the 100% or should I just wait till Monday and call, I’m not really sure what I should do. The government has my direct deposit number as they did direct deposit my 20% payment but I’m not 20% anymore I’m 100% percent and they have the same direct deposit number to my bank, that hasn’t changed. What should I do?
    Mark

17. Mike Ballor says:

I attempted to utilize the via email process to change my disability direct deposit, however I can't access the reverse side of the form to follow the instructions for the transaction. Can you help me.

Thanks,
    Mike

18. William says:

Does anyone know the deadline to change the direct deposit information with the VA? I changed banks and need to update my direct deposit information. The lines have been busy with no call back options until Tuesday 21 January 2014 because the site has been down for 3 days or more. I believe that this is because the site was breeched recently.

William, I am afraid that I do not know the deadline. The website is definitely down because of the breach. I'm sure that has contributed to the heavy call volume, and it doesn't help that it is a holiday weekend. I hope you are able to get through in time!

19. Javier says:
  20. Brandon says:

We go round and round and round, but when it ever stops, no one has found…

21. casey says:

it takes 1 month for direct deposit to be changed

22. Jrb says:

The way they verify it's you is they request your previous account and routing numbers and the exact amount of the last deposit from VA.

23. how many days does it take to switch

24. tango says:

We called in Dec 2013, today is March 3, 2014 and the change has not been made. We were told it would take 2 months because of the holidays. Currently at 3 months and the phone line will not accept calls at this time.

• Kate says:

tango, that is way outside the usual timeline. Did you try to do it through the eBenefits system? Please keep trying to call, as it seems like that is too long and there may be a problem.

25. Laura says:

Can you tell me where to find the link for changing direct deposit info for widows benefits, please?

• Kate says:

Laura, it depends on what you mean by widows benefits? If you are receiving Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC) or Survivors Benefits from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), you use the process described above. If you are receiving a Survivor Benefit Plan (SBP) annuity from the Department of Defense, you can change your direct deposit information via the MyPay system (www.dfas.mil.) I hope that helps.

26. Emily M. Marina says:

I need to know how do I change my direct deposit from one account to another I had to close the account that it was going into.

27. Chris says:

I had no Trouble whatsoever changing my Direct Deposit from one account to another. Took me about 5 minutes. Easy as Pie. Must be an Army thing, not being able to Get'r Done!!! Us Navy Men do not fool around!! LOL

28. Megan says:

How long does it take for your direct deposit to change I changed it on ebenefits and it is updated on the website so am I good to go will it deposit in my new account

29. Jeff says:

I tried 12 times with the 1-877-838-2778 phone number to get my VA direct deposit updated….no luck and on hold FOREVER. I tried 10 times on the ebenefits site….no luck there either. I have the premium account on ebenefits and still was not able to update my info as it showed NOTHING at all when I click on the link to update my direct deposit info. What a agency the VA is….poorly ran.

30. KateKashman says:

Marion, I think you need to talk more with your bank. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "hacked," but the money hasn't disappeared. If someone is stealing from your bank account, you need to file a police report. If your bank is not working with you, I would suggest that you change banks. This is not normal. Please get help!