Tax Statements For Separated Troops

January 25, 2013 | Kate Horrell

I get a lot of questions from people who left the service and don’t know how to access their W-2 tax statements.  Thankfully, it is not too hard.

First, separated service members retain access to MyPay for 12 months.  It is best to keep your contact details accurate in MyPay.  You can also retrieve your W-2 this way.  However, if you can not get into MyPay, there are other ways to obtain your tax statement.

Army, Navy, Air Force (reserve, active & National Guard) can call  888-332-7411 for assistance obtaining or correcting a W-2

Marine Corps separated members requiring a  W2 should call 888-332-7411. (Select Option #2)

For a 1099R for Thrift Savings Plan distributions, call 887-968-3778.

Looking for a 1099INT for your Savings Deposit Program account?  Call 888-332-7411.

If you received a Voluntary Separation Incentive or a Special Separation Benefit, you need to report the information on that special W2.  It can be obtained by calling 800-321-1080.

I’m pretty sure that covers all the different W2s and 1099s that could be needed by separated service members.  However, if you need something not listed here, call 888-332-7411.  Those are the people to help you find the items that you need.

Hope that helps!

Comments

1. Jeremy says:

It's impossible to talk to a human now. There are no options for seperated veterans trying to get old copies of W2's. Everything is automated without relevant information pertaining to this topic

• Alex says:

I'm having this same trouble… were you able to get something?

• Kate says:

I haven't tried the telephone option, so I can't comment on your trouble. It must be very frustrating.

Have you tried the electronic request option? The AskDFAS button can be found at the bottom of most DFAS website pages, or via this link: https://corpweb1.dfas.mil/askDFAS/custMain.action… Once in the AskDFAS menu, select "any category" and "TaxStmtReissue – W-2 Reissue Requests." Once you click through to the page, there is a link to make an inquiry. It will ask you for identifying information and will send you your old W2s.

You can also request old W-2s by mail. Send a letter including their name, Social Security number, date and signature.. Requests may be either faxed or mailed.

Fax number: 1-800-469-6559

Address: Defense Finance and Accounting Service, U.S. Military Retired Pay, P.O. Box 7130, London, KY 40742-7130

2. oliver says:

good information (post above)
    thanks!!

3. Debbie says:

I need my W2's. I have been divorced from a military member and have recently moved….Now what?

• guest says:

Are you military as well? If so then you can log on and get them. If you aren't contact your employer. If you are wondering about your EX'S W-2, that's none of your business and you can't access them. If you were married part of 2014 just file married filing separate and use your W-2

4. lorie says:

what if your husband has past away I tell you this is not easy my husband died jan 2014 and we spent the last six mounthe of his life in the hospiatial and he was in and out of comas I am going crazy trying to get this done and the people that worked with him tried to help me but in the prosess they were moving their unit out so they had things they had to do for their selves and ihave been on the phone for hoursand if you dont know what they mean but you would think if your husband spent 32 years in and liked from jan 24 of 2o14 to may the 14 of 2014 till he retired i could get some kind of help he did no get any chance to give me any ideal how to get this info they need to have something that is more simple than this

• Kate says:

Lorie, W-2 or 1099R are not automatically generated for deceased members. You can request one through http://www.dfas.mil or by calling DFAS. It is difficult to get through on the phone, but not impossible.

If you need assistance, the right people to help you are Veterans Service Officers. Most large military hospitals have them, as well as most counties or states, and all veterans service organizations, such as the American Legion and Veterans of Foreign Wars. VSOs specialize in helping veterans and their families with benefits and other issues related to mililitary service.

My condolences on your loss.

5. mzsinglemom says:

I have attempted to get my W2 from dfas and mypay. Unfortunately, since it has been over a year since I was separated from the military I am unable to log into mypay. The called dfas and mypay attempted to talk get my W2 without success. Are there any other options?

6. sandra says:

I called the 888-332-7411 number and clicked 1 all the way through!
    I finally got to speak to a human and then she transferred me to the right department.
    They gave me a fax number and an e-mail address according to the last 3 digits of my social security number and bam!!!