Check Changes On Your January LES

January 25, 2013 | Kate Horrell

The Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) has posted January 2013 Leave and Earnings Statements (LES).  I know that a lot of people have questions about the amount of their mid-month pay, and hopefully the LES will help clear up whatever has happened.

Everyone will have three changes on their LES:  an increase in base pay, an  increase in Basic Allowance for Subsistence (BAS), and an increase in FICA – Social Security withholding.  These change should roughly even each other out.  (Very roughly.)  Also, if you carry Tricare Dental coverage, the family premium has increased by $1.07.

Some people will have increased Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) but, due to the rate protection program, almost no one should have a decrease in BAH.

If you’ve made changes to your withholding or Thrift Savings Plan contributions, obviously that will affect the amount of net pay that ends up in your bank account.

If you’ve read your LES, and what you’ve read doesn’t make any sense to you, ask questions in the comments.  I’d be glad to help!

Happy Friday

Comments

1. Adriana says:

My husband became an E2 on the 18th of this month. Will we see changes of pay right away or does it take a while?

2. guest says:

aaaand they still didn't include our increase in TSP

Makes you want to bang your head against the wall, doesn't it?

• guest says:

our goal for this year was to max both of our accounts (his TSP, my 401k)…I work for a civilian company and I gave them 3 days notice before my increase went into effect in December…we are now going on almost 2 months and his still hasn't. And I still can't get a straight answer if he can allocate tax free special pays to the Roth 401k…we were told yes, but no one in finance seems to know how to do it. *Face..desk* it screws our entire financial/tax plan for the year.

3. guest says:

My hubby retirement date is January 30,2013.will he get his last active duty check on February 1,2013. Or was his last check January 15,2013.He permanently disable retired.

4. Lewis R. Eccleston, Sr. says:
  5. orti3841 says:

Has anyone ever heard of a service member not getting paid? My nephew is in the Air Force and was supposed to get paid on January 16th and he has yet to get paid. Any reason why something like this would/could happen?

6. bob says:

he should have had a mid-month LES in his my-pay, which would explain why he did not get paid. My husband got paid just fine, and on time as normal. Or tell your nephew to talk to his finance section.

7. Sharon says:

Ft. Stewart bah decreased for 2013. My husband is a O3e and his bah dropped over a $100.

8. George says:

Service members married to other service members are no longer automatically enrolled in the Family Servicemembers’ Group Life Insurance program. Service members should check their leave and earnings statements to ensure they are enrolled or not, and that they are paying the correct premiums.
    George

9. Martin Hosner says:

There has been a lot of talk recently about the pay shutdown. This slightly feels like an insult to both service members and their families. Do you know what is the upshot of Congress’ fight over a government funding bill?