Tax Filing Starts 30 January 2013


With a slew of last-minute tax changes to accommodate, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has moved it’s anticipated opening of the tax filing season from 22 January 2013 to 30 January 2013.

Tax filers are encouraged to wait until 3o January and submit their returns electronically.  Paper returns received before the opening of the filing season will not be processed until the season opens.  “There is no advantage to filing on paper before the opening date, and taxpayers will receive their tax refunds much faster by using e-file with direct deposit.”

Some taxpayers will have to wait even longer to file, as their returns include specifically challenging forms.  The top forms that require delayed filing include:

  • Form 5695, Residential Energy Credit
  • Form 4562, Depreciation and Amortization
  • Form 3800, General Business Credit

A full list of the affected forms can be found at the IRS website.

I actually love this change, as more people will have their actual W-2s in hand, and at least some corrected W-2s will have been received.  I think it will result in fewer amended returns from people who rushed to file early and then discovered a missing piece of information.

Start collecting those documents now, and it should be fast and easy come 30 January.

About the Author

Kate Horrell
Kate Horrell is a military financial coach, mom of four teens, and Navy spouse. She has a background in taxes and mortgage banking, and a trove of experience helping other military families with their money. Follow her on twitter @realKateHorrell.
  • Connie

    I would like to think this is helpful but I am trying to get taxes done ASAP because to have priority consideration for financial aid for college can be early February at some schools. Sure you can apply for financial aid later in the year but many colleges commit all their funds early in the year and there is nothing left. As a middle income family who had saved for 18-20 years for their children’s college we don’t get as much on a needs basis and even a $1000 interest free loan or work study at the college can make a difference in my kids funds. So, I want my tax info asap because with 2 rental houses in 2 states which is different from our residence and 2 kids in college our tax returns are anything but simple to whip out.