31 December 2012 Military Pay

December 20, 2012 | Kate Horrell

We’re only a few days into this long pay period and already the mailbox is full of questions regarding the December end-of-month pay.  Because 1 January 2013 is a holiday, the next regular, active duty military payday is Monday, 31 December 2012.  Most military members will see their pay deposited into their bank accounts sometime on that day.

Many banks and credit unions that offer early direct deposit as a benefit to their customers.   When the payday is on a Monday, it gets a little more complicated, especially since not every financial institution handles it in the same manner.

USAA and PMCU customers will both see their pay deposited on Friday, 28 December 2012.  Other banks and credit unions who customarily disburse funds one business day early will probably follow the same pattern, but there are no guarantees.

Navy Federal Credit Union, as always, is a little complicated.  The day of your deposit depends on the type of account into which you have your pay deposited.  Also, Navy Federal shows their deposits in an unusual way.  Your pay shows as pending, then it posts overnight and is available for use on the designated day.  Pending does not mean posted and available for use – trying to use money that is pending can be problematic.  If you use an Active Duty checking account, your pay will show as pending on Thursday, 27 December 2012, to be posted overnight and available for use on Friday, 28 December 2012.  If you use any other type of checking account, your pay will show as pending on Friday, 28 December 2012, to be posted overnight and available for use on Saturday, 29 December 2012.

The other big military-friendly credit union with early deposit benefits is Service Credit Union.  They offer deposits “up to two business days early,” pending receipt of information from the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS).  With the Christmas holiday on Tuesday of next week, I can’t even guess when DFAS will get pay information out.  As I always recommend, prepare to get paid on the 31st and be pleasantly surprised if your pay comes earlier.

For those of you who receive your pay before the weekend, keep in mind that being paid early on this payday will stretch the period between this paycheck and the next.  The next regular, active duty military payday is Tuesday, 15 January 2013.

As always, pay can come at any time of day, and sometimes it feels like it is never going to be deposited.  See What Time Will I Get Paid?  for more information.

Are you pretty sure that you should have been paid, but you haven’t?   Check out Why Hasn’t My Pay Been Deposited?

Comments

1. R. Mcdonald says:

Do u know or have any information about when someone should expect to receive there seperation pay after they seperate from the military.

2. kmacaitis says:

What about allotments? Does anybody know whether they will post on the pay day or later? Thank you.

3. alexa putorek says:

If you are prior service,and you do not have to go back to basic traning or AIT, when do you recieve your first pay check? My husband went back to active duty on Dec.4 2012, and we were hoping to see a paycheck on the 28th… are we being over ambitious?

I can't tell your for sure, Alexa, but I will keep my fingers crossed. Would you mind coming back and letting us know what happens, so we can learn together?

4. Mauricio says:
  5. Mauricio says:

This may sound like a dumb question, but I’m just trying to clarify. What if you have a bank that doesn’t pay you early like USAA or Navy Federal? In other words a bank that pays you on your normal pay dates 1st and 15th. Will you then be getting paid on the 31st of December?

Mauricio, it depends on your bank. Some will process them overnight on Friday, making the pay available on Saturday. Some will wait until Monday. You can check your previous Monday deposits for some reference. The last one was on 1 October 2012. However, that will still just be a more educated guess. I recommend you call your bank.

6. jake says:

does anyone have wells fargo and if you do do we get paid friday night or on monday?

7. heather says:

I still haven’t got my pay and it’s6 am January first why is that

8. heather says:
  9. heather says:
  10. KateKashman says:

AmnNLK, please check your Leave and Earnings Statement to find out what has happened. If you can't get your LES, you'll have to wait until you can talk to your finance folks.

11. AmnNLK says:

KateKashman, turns out I’m not the only one it’s happened to I have a friend who banks at the same institution and he’s having the same issue, I always check my LES to make sure I’m being paid correctly so I know I don’t owe anything. But also I’m waiting for DLA/ Travel Voucher pay so I have no idea if that’s just a portion of it or what. All I know is it’s from DFAS and it dsnt have the same ID number my actual pay usually has on my statements

12. KateKashman says:

AmnNLK, it sounds like your travel claim deposited and you are still waiting for your paycheck. If your LES is good, then the deposit you received is not your pay. Your pay should post tomorrow.

Hope that helps.

13. AmnNLK says:
  14. Tami says:

Thank you KateKashman! He is newly activated, this is his first payment, since being activated. He is able to allocate payment to the Gov't CC, and I think that's something we may need to consider, so I don't have to worry about it. Thanks!