2012 Tax Statement Release Schedule

December 02, 2012 | Kate Horrell

The Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) has announced the dates that your 2012 W-2 or 1099R tax statements will be available.  You can access your statements online at the MyPay website.  If you don’t have MyPay online access,  take a bit of time today to set up your account so that you’ll be able to get to your tax documents when they become available.

Retiree 1099Rs 12/13/2012
Annuitant 1099R 12/15/2012
Civilian employee W-2 (DoD/Non-DoD) 01/05/2013
Reserve Army, Navy & Air Force W-2 01/08/2013
Marine Corps Active & Reserve W-2 01/14/2013
Army NAF Civilian Pay W-2 01/20/2013
Savings Deposit Program 1099INT 01/22/2013
Active Duty Army, Navy & Air Force W-2 01/24/2013
Vendor Pay MISC W-2 01/31/2013
Travel PCS W-2* 01/31/2013

Don’t forget that you are not technically supposed to file your income taxes until you have your W-2 or 1099R in hand. In addition, this year’s tax-law shenanigans mean that many folks will be better off filing later than usual.

*PCS Travel W-2 applies to Personally Procured Moves (formerly known as DITY moves.) If you did a PPM this year, please don’t file until you get your PCS Travel W-2. They come late, and they can be surprising. The first time my husband got a PCS Travel W-2, way back in the days before MyPay, I spent days trying to figure out where it came from, why I had it, and what I was to do with it.

Comments

1. brian says:

so how does the travel W2 affect me since the travel office lost everything in my packet and have recouped most of the travel advance througout the year?

Brian, are we talking about a PCS move? If they recouped the advance, then you shouldn't have a W-2 for that money. I'd double-check with legal, though. It seems odd that they would recoup everything since they obviously know that you moved and you must have some documentation (copies of the weight tickets, etc.) Good luck with that mess!

Brian, you might also want to talk to a smart tax professional. You can deduct certain moving expenses that exceed the amount reimbursed by your employer. If you didn't get any payment from the military, then it all might be deductible. This might be worth the cost of a professional.

2. Bernard says:

Trying to understand this correctly. If I separated and now I am inactive reserve does that mean jan 14th it will be sent out or able to be accessed with the reserve?

3. Randy says:

I got out in march from active duty navy, should I see my w-2 with the active duty navy w-2′s?

Hi Randy, Yes, your W-2 should be available on MyPay with the active duty W-2s. Hope that helps.

4. PistolPete says:

Bernard, I'm with you. I separated in early 2012. I have a couple months on the books for this tax season. Actually remembered my MyPay info and successfully signed in. However, nothing for taxes or much else was available to view. I don't see anything stating IRR–just reserve which I'm guessin is for all types of reserves. Which means I should have been able to view it as of 1/8/2013…OR 10 days ago. My hopes is they sent it out to the address given upon separation. That'd be sweet (easy). If not I'm sure it'll be a pain in my ass. Either way I'll find this post again and give the results.

5. Zita Bennett says:

I don't understand why my husband's 2012 1099R shows that his gross distribution was $1449 less than it was in 2011.

Mrs. Bennett, retirees received 13 payments in the 2011 tax year, due to a change in the payment calendar. The new calendar resulted in the usual 12 payments. Therefore, 2012 taxable income will be less than 2011 taxable income.

6. ben says:

ok first time i have pcsd and am getting ready to do my taxes. Since i had the military move all my stuff just got paid back for what i used on the travel card and what not do i need to wait for the Travel w2?

I am a little hesitant to say that you do not need to wait for a Travel W2 as there is always going to be some circumstance that I can't imagine. However, in most cases, you will not receive a travel W2 for a government-funded PCS move.

Don't forget, however, that the IRS isn't even accepting returns until the 30th of January.

Hope that helps.

7. Kristin says:

I'm a bit confused, my husbands Travel W2's are already posted. Do you think these are correct or should we wait till the posted release date of the 31st?

• Stacia says:

Are you sure they're not travel W-2's from previous years? When I log in to my pay and click on Travel W-2's it's from 2010.

8. kim says:

Honestly, you are a veteran. DFAS should do whatever they can to help you. Call them and just get to a person. From there explain your situation and let them transfer you to the right place.

9. Anthony says:

Thanks Kim.

10. sally smith says:

when will former spouses who are recieving part of retirement pay as per divirce settlement recieve thier w2's or 1099

11. Lisa says:

How can you get your w2s if you are no longer active duty?

12. Janet says:
  13. Jayms says:
  14. Jayms says:
  15. Daniel says:

This is my first year filing with a PCS move, how late do the travel W-2's come since it was said it was to be posted on the 31st of January.

16. Waisland says:

Mine has still not posted 2 days late. What recourse do I have?

• guest says:

Recourse? like what type of recourse are you thinking? Give it a week or so, if you are active and it's still not up, contact finance.

• Cortney says:

Has your Travel W-2 posted yet or have you received yours at all?? I am still waiting and I emailed the people 2 times now due to that is the only way to get a hold of the Travel W-2 department.

17. quihigrandma says:

I balanced the 1099-R to payments received in 2012. The 1099-R does not match the payments received in 2012. The 1099 R has 12 payments on it, but we only received 11. We did receive 13 payments in 2011 and the 1099-R matched these 13 payments. Is this possible?

quihigrandma, you should have received 12 payments in 2012. The retiree paydays for 2012 can be found here: http://paycheck-chronicles.military.com/2011/12/1… I counted again and I got 12, from 1 February 2012 to 31 December 2012. If you are missing one of those payments, you need to check with your bank and with DFAS to find out what happened to it.

I hope that helps!

18. EM2 McDonald says:

Hi, i just did my taxes only to have 2 (maybe not so) random w-2s show up in the mail. I have no clue what they are for, as one is a few hundred and the other a couple thousand in wages. I have my normal W-2 on mypay and nothing else. I am assuming i have to amend my taxes in some way and add these new W-2s. can anyone give me a yay or nay?
    EM2 McDonald

The short answer is yes, you will have to amend your return. I would probably try to find out where these W-2s came from, first. Did you do a Personally Procured Move (PPM, formerly known as a DITY move)? That is the most likely reason for an extra W-2.

Readers, can you help?

19. Cortney says:

Hi, I did a PPM move in February 2012. The Navy gave me money up front and then once I turned in my paperwork I got the rest. I still haven't received my travel W-2 on mypay and also, I have moved. I emailed DFAS about the situation and still haven't herd back from them in a week. I have all my paperwork from start to finish when I did the move. Would any of that work towards doing my taxes? I am going to H and R block due to this is all confusing. Thank you

20. Ally says:
  21. Harold says:
  22. dearl jackson says:

My grandaughter joined the navy in january of 2013 and discharged in may 2013 for medical how does she get her w2 it hasn't came in the mail

• Kate says:

Mrs. Jackson, Your granddaughter can retrieve her W-2 online via her MyPay account. They are not sent via the mail unless you specifically request it.

23. KateKashman says:

Threw me for quite a loop the first time we got that W-2. I think it was in 2003, though it seems like longer :) I hope that it is more clearly labelled now that everything is online, but I haven't had one to know. Our sanity has become more important than that little bit of money.

24. Alyssa says:

I have no idea. I am having the same problem but with the Marine Corps. If you find out any ways please shot me an email at alyssafahy@gmail.com