2012 Tax Statement Release Schedule

The Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) has announced the dates that your 2012 W-2 or 1099R tax statements will be available.  You can access your statements online at the MyPay website.  If you don’t have MyPay online access,  take a bit of time today to set up your account so that you’ll be able to get to your tax documents when they become available.

Retiree 1099Rs 12/13/2012
Annuitant 1099R 12/15/2012
Civilian employee W-2 (DoD/Non-DoD) 01/05/2013
Reserve Army, Navy & Air Force W-2 01/08/2013
Marine Corps Active & Reserve W-2 01/14/2013
Army NAF Civilian Pay W-2 01/20/2013
Savings Deposit Program 1099INT 01/22/2013
Active Duty Army, Navy & Air Force W-2 01/24/2013
Vendor Pay MISC W-2 01/31/2013
Travel PCS W-2* 01/31/2013

Don’t forget that you are not technically supposed to file your income taxes until you have your W-2 or 1099R in hand. In addition, this year’s tax-law shenanigans mean that many folks will be better off filing later than usual.

*PCS Travel W-2 applies to Personally Procured Moves (formerly known as DITY moves.) If you did a PPM this year, please don’t file until you get your PCS Travel W-2. They come late, and they can be surprising. The first time my husband got a PCS Travel W-2, way back in the days before MyPay, I spent days trying to figure out where it came from, why I had it, and what I was to do with it.

About the Author

Kate Horrell
Kate Horrell is a military financial coach, mom of four teens, and Navy spouse. She has a background in taxes and mortgage banking, and a trove of experience helping other military families with their money. Follow her on twitter @realKateHorrell.

22 Comments on "2012 Tax Statement Release Schedule"

  1. so how does the travel W2 affect me since the travel office lost everything in my packet and have recouped most of the travel advance througout the year?

  2. Trying to understand this correctly. If I separated and now I am inactive reserve does that mean jan 14th it will be sent out or able to be accessed with the reserve?

  3. I got out in march from active duty navy, should I see my w-2 with the active duty navy w-2’s?

  4. Bernard, I'm with you. I separated in early 2012. I have a couple months on the books for this tax season. Actually remembered my MyPay info and successfully signed in. However, nothing for taxes or much else was available to view. I don't see anything stating IRR–just reserve which I'm guessin is for all types of reserves. Which means I should have been able to view it as of 1/8/2013…OR 10 days ago. My hopes is they sent it out to the address given upon separation. That'd be sweet (easy). If not I'm sure it'll be a pain in my ass. Either way I'll find this post again and give the results.

  5. Zita Bennett | January 19, 2013 at 1:12 pm |

    I don't understand why my husband's 2012 1099R shows that his gross distribution was $1449 less than it was in 2011.

  6. ok first time i have pcsd and am getting ready to do my taxes. Since i had the military move all my stuff just got paid back for what i used on the travel card and what not do i need to wait for the Travel w2?

  7. I'm a bit confused, my husbands Travel W2's are already posted. Do you think these are correct or should we wait till the posted release date of the 31st?

  8. Honestly, you are a veteran. DFAS should do whatever they can to help you. Call them and just get to a person. From there explain your situation and let them transfer you to the right place.

  9. Thanks Kim.

  10. when will former spouses who are recieving part of retirement pay as per divirce settlement recieve thier w2's or 1099

  11. How can you get your w2s if you are no longer active duty?

  12. This is my first year filing with a PCS move, how late do the travel W-2's come since it was said it was to be posted on the 31st of January.

  13. Mine has still not posted 2 days late. What recourse do I have?

  14. quihigrandma | February 5, 2013 at 8:29 am |

    I balanced the 1099-R to payments received in 2012. The 1099-R does not match the payments received in 2012. The 1099 R has 12 payments on it, but we only received 11. We did receive 13 payments in 2011 and the 1099-R matched these 13 payments. Is this possible?

  15. EM2 McDonald | February 5, 2013 at 1:31 pm |

    Hi, i just did my taxes only to have 2 (maybe not so) random w-2s show up in the mail. I have no clue what they are for, as one is a few hundred and the other a couple thousand in wages. I have my normal W-2 on mypay and nothing else. I am assuming i have to amend my taxes in some way and add these new W-2s. can anyone give me a yay or nay?
    EM2 McDonald

  16. Hi, I did a PPM move in February 2012. The Navy gave me money up front and then once I turned in my paperwork I got the rest. I still haven't received my travel W-2 on mypay and also, I have moved. I emailed DFAS about the situation and still haven't herd back from them in a week. I have all my paperwork from start to finish when I did the move. Would any of that work towards doing my taxes? I am going to H and R block due to this is all confusing. Thank you

  17. dearl jackson | February 17, 2014 at 12:13 pm |

    My grandaughter joined the navy in january of 2013 and discharged in may 2013 for medical how does she get her w2 it hasn't came in the mail

Comments are closed.