Navy Federal eDeposits Program

September 28, 2012 | Kate Horrell

I’m sure many of you have been using this program for ages, but I have never previously had a reason to use the Navy Federal Credit Union (NFCU) electronic deposits program.  I’ve always found it just as easy to stop by the branch than to do all that scanning stuff.  Well, now the nearest NFCU branch is literally in another country, so I am highly motivated to figure out all the available technology.  As I was preparing a mail deposit today, it occurred to me that NFCU has an online deposit application.  So, I went to the NFCU website to see what was available.

It started off so easy.  I just read the terms and conditions, clicked a few buttons, and I was signed up!  I then clicked on Help/FAQ and went through the Scan Deposits Demo.  That was a good thing because I would have endorsed the check incorrectly.  Then, I tried to make an eDeposit.  I hooked my computer up to the scanner.  I entered a name for the deposit, and the amount.  I clicked through to the scanning screen, and got an error message that the program could not locate a scanner hooked up to the computer.  Apparently your scanner must meet some compliance details, and either mine does not, or the program does not recognize that it does.

Never to be daunted by totally and completely aggrevating frustrations, I headed off to the base library to see if I could make it work there.  I logged in, selected the account to which I wanted to deposit, and selected the scanner hooked up to the machine.  I scanned the front and back, resized them according to the instructions right there on the screen, and hit deposit.  I got two emails, one saying that the deposit was received and one that it was approved.  Whoohoo!

I’ve still got to figure out the problem with my home printer, but it is a start and it will save me having to mail checks back to the US.  That always makes me nervous and I’m glad to have a work-around.

Do you use electronic deposit programs, from Navy Federal or from anyone else?  Have you run into any problems, or has it been smooth sailing since the start.  It is definitely a great feature for those of us who are not near a branch.

Comments

1. Anjali Lind says:

Do you have a smart phone? For USAA, I just log into the app on my iPhone, take a picture of the front and back of the check, and it's deposited. Super easy. I just looked on iTunes, and Navy Federal has a similar app that allows you to deposit with your phone.

2. Guest says:

I have the same problem with our home scanner and USAA. But we can deposit with the Droid app so we just do that now. But before we started doing that it was the same exact problem you are describing.

3. Mark says:

A lot of banks are now offering smartphone apps. I use Chase banks deposit all the time with my Android smart phone.

4. Dave says:

Very convenient with USAA to deposit from my phone.

I ran into a problem with one check that I couldn't figure out until I looked closer. It said picture ID was necessary to deposit. Since I already marked it FOR DEPOSIT ONLY TO USAA, there was no taking it to a different local bank. So from now on when I endorse my checks before depositing by phone, I do it in pencil. Still works.

5. KateKashman says:

Thanks for all the suggestions. We've just recently gotten a smart phone, so I'll try that route next time I have a check to deposit. I appreciate all the help, and, hopefully, it will help other people like me!

6. joemurray says:

I was able to scan checks using my google chrome then it stopped suddently. I downloaded mozalla fire fox and all is OK again. But i WONDER WHY INTERNET EXPLORER AND GOOGLE CHROME WILL NOT FIND MY SCANNER

7. Bill says:

I had no problems using Internet Explorer til a couple weeks ago, so not sure if the Explorer has anything to do with it because Java is what discovers your printer. My Java is current and no problems with my Printer/drivers. I tried to contact NF, but got a generic email of things to check. Frustrated as hell. It is so convenient to scan checks. I will figure it out eventually. Until then, I guess I will have to drive to the bank. Not a huge deal.

8. stomsits says:

Ran into same problem, for everyone's convenience, here's the solution: Java must be enabled plugin for your browser before it will work, hope this helps everyone!