Using Gift Cards to Save On AAFES Food

July 27, 2012 | Kate Horrell

I’ve moved back into the world of the Army and Air Force Exchange Services (AAFES), and they have an interesting deal going on in their food courts.  If you pay for your purchase with your Star Card, an AAFES gift card, or an AAFES food court gift card, they will give you 10% off your purchase.  Now, I am seriously against using a Star Card to buy food, but a gift card?  Sure, if it will save me 10%.

The process is simple.  Go into the Exchange and purchase a gift card.  You can purchase a card for any amount, but I went ahead a put $50 on it.  Hey, we are still mid-PCS.  There will be some bad AAFES food consumed.  Then, I went to the food court to purchase our food.  Four kids, plus me, times pizza at Pizza Hut, $2.50 saved.  By the time I use all of the money on that gift card, I will have saved $5.  Not a lot, but well worth the 5 minutes it took me to purchase the gift card.

If you ever make food purchases at an AAFES run vendor, consider purchasing a gift card to buy your food.  10% off is not to shabby for basically no work.

Find more great deals and discounts at the Military.com Discounts Center.

Comments

1. Lars says:

would be nice if it were true, I've tried paying with my Star Card and have told over and over by AAFES employees I can't use it

Gosh, Lars, I wonder why. I've used my Star card at AAFES food establishments a few times. I have more trouble getting the discount, but if I ask they usually remember. Any other readers having trouble?

• T.W. says:

Me too…I've tried using my card at a local commissary for groceries in order to save and was told I couldn't use it….

T.W., the regular Star card is not valid for purchases at the commissary. The commissary is run by the Defense Commissary Agency (DeCA). The regular Star card is only good for purchases at AAFES or NEX exchange stores or their associated shops.

If you have the MasterCard branded Star card, you may use it on purchases anywhere, just like a regular MasterCard.

Hope that helps!

2. Bandrews says:

Does that apply in the commissary?

3. sharon d mcmillian says:

I dont have card to shop all i know my family are and have army and other my dad as well i would be useing what card you all send me sharon d mcmillian thank you

4. sharon mcmillian says:

where my car

5. Duane says:

how do I apply for this card?

6. MEK says:

At some of the vendors such as Subway and KFC on Ft. Bragg N.C. I have been denied the 10% discount when using my Star card or a Gift Card. I was told on several different occasions / actually last week at Subway that they where not part of AAFES and no discount would be given and some of them even charge tax on the food purchase. Popeyes, BK,Charley's and other's do honor the discount.

7. Janeen says:

All food facilities should give you the 10%…all are managed by AAFES.
    You can apply for a Star card at http://www.shopmyexchange.com