Dislocation Allowance (DLA)

PCS season is here, and so are questions about the military’s dislocation allowance (DLA.)  DLA is designed to partially offset the costs incurred when moving as part of a PCS, when ordered to move at the government’s convenience, or as part of an evacuation.  There are two charts for DLA, primary and secondary.  Primary DLA rates range from $867.98 to $4351.37, based upon rank and dependency status.  Primary DLA is paid in most cases, but secondary DLA is available in unusual circumstances.

Service members must request DLA in order for it to be paid.  It can be requested in advance (check with your local command for their form)  or it can be requested while completing the travel claim after the move has occurred.

DLA is NOT authorized when separating from the service.

Rules regarding the payment of DLA can be found in the Joint Federal Travel Regulations (JTFR), Chapter 5, Part G.  In addition, more information can be found at the Defense Travel Management Office’s DLA Frequently Asked Questions page.

About the Author

Kate Horrell
Kate Horrell is a military financial coach, mom of four teens, and Navy spouse. She has a background in taxes and mortgage banking, and a trove of experience helping other military families with their money. Follow her on twitter @realKateHorrell.
  • Daniel
  • Brian Samuel Washington
  • David-n-Daphne

    I would recommend an update this post. There used to be the JTR and the JTFR. They have since been combined into the JTR. This document is not an easy read, but will explain who is eligible, and when. My command informed me that if a Service Member (SM) needs DLA in advance, the SM needs to complete a DFAS Form 9114 and submit it through their pay channels. Otherwise, it is redeemed on the SM’s voucher at the end of their travel. I hope this helps.