Still Need Your Tax Statement?

February 06, 2012 | Kate Horrell

I’ve been getting lots of emails and comments from people who still have not received their W-2 or 1099R tax statement.  For most cases, the information regarding accessing or requesting a replacement W-2 or 1099R is available at the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) website.

Active Duty and Reserve

If you are an active duty service member, you should have access to your MyPay account.  Your W-2 (and supplemental W-2s and 1099-INT, if appropriate) are available via your MyPay account.  If you don’t have a MyPay account, I encourage you to sign up for one.  It provides 24 hours internet access to your pay, leave, tax, Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) and Savings Deposit Program (SDP) information.

If you have a MyPay account but can’t access it, you can either try to log-on using your CAC card, you can try the online reset option, or you can ask your local finance office for help.

If you are setting up a new account or trying to access an old one, you can contact the DFAS Centralized Customer Support Unit for assistance in establishing or changing your PIN.  Their telephone numbers are

• toll-free  888-DFAS411 or 888-332-7411, or
  • commercial  (216) 522-5096, or
  • Defense Switching Network (DSN)  580-5096.

If none of this is working for you, you can contact your service’s or situation’s department for more help in receiving a W-2.  Keep in mind that wait times can be long during tax season.

•  Army, Navy, Air Force (reserve, active & National Guard) W2: 888-332-7411.
  •  Marine Corps (active & reserve) W2: Contact your finance office.
  •  Marine Corps (separated members) W2: 216-522-8762 (Select Option #4)
  •  Thrift Savings Plan 1099R: 887-968-3778
  •  DoD Savings Deposit Program 1099INT: 888-332-7411
  •  Voluntary Separation Incentive/Special Separation Benefit W2: 800-321-1080.

Retiree

Retirees may also use the MyPay system to access their pay and tax information. When a MyPay account is created, mailing of hard copy 1099Rs is suspended unless you check the block that says “turn on hard copy 1099R.”

If you don’t have a MyPay account, it is a great tool to help you keep track of your pay and tax information.  Contact the DFAS Centralized Customer Support Unit at the numbers listed above to establish a PIN.  You will have 24 hour internet access to all your information, as well as being able to print out pay and tax statements and make certain changes to your account online.

Retirees who do not have a MyPay account, or who have selected to receive a hard copy W-2, should receive their tax documents sometime in January.  If you do not receive it, you might want to make sure that your mailing address is up-to-date with DFAS.

Retirees may always request assistance from the Customer Care number at 800-321-1080.  Customer Service Representatives are available Monday through Friday, from 7 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. Eastern Time.

Recently Separated Service Member

Recently separated service members should be able to access their MyPay account as usual for up to a year after separating from the service.  If you did not have a MyPay account, you may try to establish one by calling the DFAS Centralized Customer Support Unit at the numbers listed above.  It that doesn’t work, or you do not want to establish a MyPay account, you may contact your service’s pay and tax people listed above.

I’m sure there are more issues that I haven’t hit here.  Please put them in the comments and I’ll try to find answers.

Comments

1. Robert L. Wilkerson. says:

Retired USAF havent received w-2 form. Robert L Wilkerson

Mr. Wilkerson, please check via your online MyPay account, or contact the DFAS Retiree Customer Care number listed above.

2. Irene McCall says:

My father was a USAF veteran who passed away in Sept 2011. I didn't receive 1099-R by February so I called Customer Care number and got the necessary info, faxed in all paperwork I was told to fax, and still don't have a 1099-R.

3. Brandon Koenigsorf says:

To Whom it may concern, I currenly was going through training in Fort Benning for the Army National Guard. I never received a 1099 in order to file my 2011 taxes, I eepgetting the run around from the internet to my local recruitment ofc etc… can yo help me to find out what to do next this must be taken care of and I feel nothing is being done to hekp me. Please help me asap. Thank You

Brandon, do you have a MyP,ay account? That is the best way to get your W-2. If you do not have a MyPay account, and can not set one up online, then I suggest you telephone the number listed in the article, 888-332-7411. That is the telephone number for getting W-2s if you are having difficulty using other means.

4. jarheadfor5 says:

I was medically separated in Mar 2011, and can't remember my logon credentials for mypay. When I try to recover them they send it to my .usmc email which I can't access. Also I was given a severance check that I was taxed on and told that I needed to file a form to receive said taxes back for. Will the number listed above be able to help? (its saturday so they aren't open)

5. James says:

I am trying to get my tax informaton for 2010, i was separated from the navy and cant access my mypay account, its been more than a year. what can i do i tryed calling dfas already

James, what did DFAS say? Calling them is my only suggestion. I have no idea how long they maintain records on separated servicemembers. I hope you can get DFAS to help.

6. ellen pratt says:

I need a copy of my w2 for 2012. I recieve a check for comm property from my es-husband a retired army vetern

7. Jessica Robbinson says:

I was chapter-ed from the military * months ago How would I go about getting my w-2?

Jessica, you retain MyPay access for 12 months after you leave the military. You should be able to get your W-2 there. If not, call their customer service number. The waits are long as many people are trying to get their tax documents without using MyPay. Hope that helps.

8. brenda says:

my husband was discharged and came home valentines day (two weeks ago), how do we recieve his 2012 W-2?

9. LaShay Crace says:

I can't remember my mypay password so I reset it before realizing that my personal email account is for my ship email and that I don't have access to it since I am separated from the command how do I get my w2 form so I can file for my taxes?

10. Jon says:

Was discharged from military and now a student. Can I contact DFAS and speak with someone personally to have them send it to my new address?

11. John Worch says:

No one can help with my request for my 2012 W2. I have contacted customer service, but no one can find where mu 2012 w2 is at. I was medically retired in April 2012. Can you help!

Mr. Worch, unfortunately this is not something with which I am able to help. Are you unable to log into your MyPay account? If not, I believe that establishing MyPay access is the first step. If you are able to log into your MyPay account, and there is no W2 listed, then I am flummoxed. I would suggest that you draft a letter to DFAS and the IRS, explaining that you are unable to access your W-2, and requesting their assistance. Good luck to you, and let us know how it turns out.

12. Jim V. says:

I have been having the same experience as Mr. Worch. I can't get onto mypay anymore, and can't reset the password and calling customer service has resulted in no contact with a human after around 25 attempts so far just this morning I admit. This is ridiculous. I shouldn't have to write a letter to people who won't even answer the phone in order to get a darn W2.

• Kate says:

I absolutely agree, Jim. They've built a system that doesn't work for their customers, and I wish they should fix it. I hope you are able to get through.

13. Cody says:

I ets'ed from the army in march 2013 my mypay account no longer works and I cant get dfas to help me they keep saying I have to go to a finace office. I live 6 hours from the nearest base. What can I do to get my w2

14. Richard Howard says:

I recieve a VSI payment but have not recieved my W-2. I put in a request to have one reissued and got this response.

Answer to ticket number: 201403030845. Your inquiry and our answer are below.
    Your inquiry on March 03, 2014:
    W-2 Reissue Requests
    Tax Statement Reissue Requests answer on March 05, 2014:
    Thank you for your request for a copy of your tax statement. We were unable to validate the information you provided with the information in our system(s). As a result, we were unable to process your request.

15. John E. Williams says:

Mar. 15 2014, still haven't received my 2013 W-2. Obviously because of address changes. Tried to sign up with MY PAY but they send the temporary password to last known address. I've moved 4 times since then and the link is obviously broken. Cust. Service # 342-7411 has been down. What should I do? Thanks USMC Retired