Why Hasn’t My Pay Been Deposited?

February 01, 2012 | Kate Horrell

Every pay period, I get tons of comments and emails from people who are concerned because their pay hasn’t been deposited.  There is a logical progression of steps to take if you haven’t received your pay as expected.

1.  Make sure you know what day is payday.  This is often confusing for people.  Check out my list here:  2014 Active Duty Military Pay Days.

2.  Wait.  Don’t panic if your pay isn’t showing up at midnight, or 6 am, or even 9 am.  The act of posting hundreds or thousands of military pay deposits takes time.  98% of the time, the people who write me find that their pay is deposited within a few hours of their writing.
3.  Check your Leave and Earnings Statement (LES).  There are two things to check on your LES:  first, that there is pay due, and second, that the bank account information is accurate.

4.  Call your bank.  If you’ve waited, and your LES shows a payment due, and your account information is correct, then call your bank to see what they say.

5.  Check with your finance department.  If your LES shows a payment due, the account information is correct, and your bank can not find a problem, then it is time to check with your finance folks.

These five steps are the easiest and most effective ways to track down the cause of a missing pay deposit.  Don’t forget, waiting solves most of the problems without lots of stress or worry.

Comments

1. Madsen, Matt says:

My National Guard Unit has not been paying me for extra duty that I volunteered to do (after they asked) or my drill pay. This is two checks in a row and they still owe me about $400 for travel pay in november 2011. My nco’s are claiming that the NCO responsible is retiring and doesn’t care. Nor will he take the time to fix or talk to anyone. What can I do? Ive already made an attempt to talk to my NCOIC’s but they cant get through to anyone.

2. mrs alexander says:

So my huspand went to bc training in january. I talked to a lady and she said his first check should have been deposited in Feb. Its now Mar. 2 and still nothing. I don’t know what else to do, I’m on leave from work and we have bills I’m sending a letter to him tomorrow but it takes around 8-10 days to get to him, is there anyone I can call about the problem?

• Tyler says:

Try to contact his recruiter. If the recruiter is any good, he will do whatever he can to get the issue corrected.thats what mine did for my wife and I.

3. rp maiman says:

if it is from the VA call 1-800-827-1000. if it is from one of the service branches you need to contact your servicing finance office. for army it is in london, KY.

4. Morgan says:

My husband left for training on July 3rd and I have talked to him a few times and he said he had already gotten an advance in pay to buy the things he needed and the rest of the paycheck would be deposited into our account on the 15th of July. It is now the 16th of July and his paycheck still hasnt been depostied. How long is this going to take?

5. Brenda says:

First day of retirement and no pay! What's our next step?

6. Nery says:

New military wife, My husband went into Basic Training on Sept 10, does anyone know when should I expect pay? How can I obtain information on LES because I don’t know how to access that information so I can verify how much he will get paid?

7. Nery says:

Kate, my husband made sure to take our account info for his pay to go direct deposit so I don’t know how else to make sure I will get his pay today or should I expect it on the 15th?

Nery, if it hasn't been deposited today, then I would expect it to come on the 15th. Welcome to the sometimes-unpredictable world of military pay. Hope you are adjusting well.

8. Erika says:

My husband was injured while training for a deployment. He was then on incap orders while he had his back surgery. He was down for 9 months. Took forever to get his checks. The army only approved for 6 months of pay. Now waiting for approval from state on the last 3 months he is owed. These are the months April may and June he is owed for! He’s already back at work it is October now! We are looking at filing bankruptcy because we are so behind on everything. This is not the way to treat our dedicated soldiers.

Erika, I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I don't know much about medical separation so I'm afraid I'm not much help. You might want to talk to one of the non-profits that work with wounded servicemembers to see if they have any resources. Good luck to you both.

9. MyHusbandMyWorld says:

My husband received a "pay stub" that says they paid him direct deposit yesterday. The bank has no pending transactions. Who should I call?

MyHusbandMyWorld, if your husband's Leave and Earnings Statement shows that he was receiving a payment on 1 November 2012, and his direct deposit information listed at the bottom of the LES is accurate, and the bank has no information about the deposit, then your husband needs to check with his finance folks to see if they can figure out what happened. Most misplaced deposits occur because of incorrect direct deposit account information. Unfortunately, this is much easier for your husband to do himself. Even if you have a specific power of attorney for pay issues, you'll need to provide that documentation to anyone with whom you speak. Each organization has its own policies for how you need to use the power of attorney. For example, some departments or companies might want it emailed in every time you call them, or some may want you to fax it to be part of the their permanent file.

Good luck to you. Be sure to take the steps in the article, in the order that they are listed, to hopefully get to the bottom of the problem quickly.

• Bill Murray says:

GHOST BUSTERS!!!!!

10. Nikaeen says:

I’m a little worried because I am in the guard and just graduated AIT. My last day was the 8th so I expected a check from the 1st-8th today which is 15th. It usually would have been deposited by now and my LES only shows my last check. Kind of need the money, any suggestions?

11. DG3 says:

What if my LES is blank? Just has my basic information but no NET pay amount or anything…any help would be appreciated thanks.

DG3, have you recently PCSed? I have heard of that happening between duty stations. I would check with your finance folks immediately.

12. Theo says:

I recently got out of the navy (Oct. 26th) and it is now the 20th of Dec. I still haven't received my last paycheck. The personnel people that I dealt with told me that I would receive my paycheck about 20 days after my discharge date, which would have been on the 15th of Dec. Do you have any idea when I would actually get paid? I was told that the last paycheck would be a paper check instead of direct deposit, is that also true?

13. Nicole says:

ok I hope some one will be avaiable to answer…I am currently on ETS/Transition leave and today should be my second to last pay day and I know that I still owe some money on my intial enlistment bonus. At our finance brief they made it sound like they would only take from our very last paycheck for debt. Is this correct or would they take from the last two if there is not enough in the last one. These people really need to be more clear.

14. Mrs Previty says:

My husband left for basic training on February 5th and i was told that i would recieve his first pay check today, March 1st, and i still havent recieved anything. We filled out all the paperwork before he left for it to get directly deposited into our joint account. Why have i not received the money yet?

15. williams says:
  16. des says:

My husband left for the army basic training may 13 and I still haven't received two of his paychecks and its now June 15, I'm curious as to when I may get them. He told me to tell him if the first one didn't go in and I did, and still nothing. I have a lot of bills and I need to know if I'm going to get a paycheck anytime soon because my paychecks aren't going to cover all of them.

17. Chad says:
  18. Kerry says:

Hello!

My brother went to AF BMT on April 16th 2013. As of today, he still hasn't been paid. He keeps getting the forms that say how much he is owed and they give him dates that he will be paid (via direct deposit), but the dates come and go without any pay. The others in his group are having the same issues. Is there any advice you can give?

I feel like he feels a little helpless and so does his wife. I want to help, but I have no idea how this works. Also, is starting to feel like he is just getting the run around.

Kerry, that sounds very unusual. First military pay does usually take several weeks to begin, but ten weeks is beyond the range I've heard before. Unfortunately, there is nothing that your sister-in-law or you can do. Your brother needs to make sure that his leadership is aware that he has not been paid, and ensure that his bank account information is accurate on his Leave and Earnings Statement. If the entire group has not yet received a deposit, then it is likely a paperwork or processing error. If your sister-in-law is having financial difficulties because of the delay, she should contact the Air Force Aid society to see if they can help. Good luck!

19. none says:

Retired April 2013. Didn't get paid in May 2013 at all. Got first retired pay June 2013. Where is July's pay?

20. ken says:

i checked my les and realize that i put wrong account number on mypay..
    i just changed that..but today is july31 and when can i going to get a my pay?

21. karen says:
  22. Carol Nelson says:

I am a former spouse of a military members .my question is will my part of his retirement check be held? It's what I live on. Anyone know? It's the first and the check says in process and it never says that

23. GDIM says:
  24. Nek says:

I recently joined the Air Force reserves and I have attended the last 3 UTAs and I still haven't got paid yet. I don't have information on my LES so I can't check that yet. I have already talked to the finance and they said it should come soon. I just need to know how soon is soon cause i have bills. Could anyone explain what is taking so long and why I haven't received any pay yet.

25. magie says:

My ex-husband was eligible for military retirement at 60, he turned 60 in march 2014. I filed my paperwork along with legal paperwork and the DFAS sent me a notice saying he was on non pay status and I could reapply later. ????

26. KateKashman says:

Maria, I agree that is ridiculous. I am not an expert in this, or a lawyer, but I have heard people say that you can go to the IG for help in situations like this. Readers, do you have any suggestions for Maria and her husband? Thank you!

27. guest says:

My husband went TDY in September for selection, they lost a bunch of his gear in the process (someone broke into a truck all their gear was stored in)…we JUST got paid last week for reimbursement on both his plane ticket and lost gear

28. KateKashman says:

How frustrating! Glad you had those emergency funds :)

29. guest says:

Always have the emergency funds! We just had to keep poking at them…saying he's not going to get paid because of budget cuts is not the truth, they cannot deny you payments on a government card despite what the CSM says. Just remember you catch more bee's with honey…try bringing the S3 some cookies or beer or something for a little while then ask what the status is.