Lowes and Home Depot Revisited

January 22, 2012 | Kate Horrell

Still confused about Lowes’ and Home Depot’s military and veteran’s discount policies?  I’ll restate the policies again here for anyone who managed to miss all the previous debate.  However, for the most part, the policies aren’t being properly interpreted by the individual stores so your results may vary.

Both stores have basically the same policies, and offer two different, but related, discounts.

• The military discount is supposed to be for active duty military,current reservists, National Guard members, retirees, disabled veterans and their families.  It gives a 10% discount to eligible patrons every day.
  • The veterans’ discount is for any and all veterans.   It gives a 10% discount to eligible patrons on selected patriotic holiday weekends such as Independence Day, Memorial Day and Veterans’ Day.

A lot of confusion seems to come from the fact that these are two separate discount groups within the same general program.  Also, many stores have generously been offering the military discount to people who are actually only eligible for the veterans’ discount.  As a result, many customers don’t know which discount is which and there is a lot of misunderstanding.

In the last few years, both Lowes and Home Depot have been asking their stores to be careful about only giving the discount to the properly eligible shoppers.  Unfortunately, they’ve done a really poor job of training their store staff in the policy.  Also, there are so many types of valid and invalid military and veterans’ identification that it is a huge job to keep all the store staff up-to-date on the variations.  The result is that many ineligible patrons are still getting discounts, and many eligible customers are being denied a discount.  It isn’t a great situation but it is what it is.  Throw in some frustrated or confused store staff and lots of people are unhappy.

Please, please, please remember that these discounts are a courtesy being extended by these stores.  They are certainly not a right, nor are they guaranteed.  I understand it is frustrating if you truly meet the criteria but are denied a discount, or if you’ve been getting a discount for years and are now told that you are not eligible.  However, making a huge scene is not going to improve this situation.  With as much bad publicity has come from offering these voluntary discounts, I’m quite surprised that the stores continue to offer the discounts.  If you are sure you understand the offered discount, and you are eligible, and you are denied, please make sure that your complaint is polite and appropriate.  If you don’t understand the discount, or you aren’t actually eligible, please don’t make a huge scene.  It makes us all look bad and it makes it harder for the stores to want to help veterans and military folks.

Here are the policies:

Lowes

From the original press release, Lowes offers:

“an all day, every day 10 percent discount to all military personnel who are active, reserve, retired or disabled veterans and their family members, with a valid, government-issued military ID card.

All other military veterans will receive the discount on the Memorial Day, Fourth of July and Veterans Day weekends.”

Home Depot

Per my communication with the Home Depot’s customer care department,

“We offer a 10 percent discount, up to a $500 maximum, to all active, reserve, retired or disabled veterans and their family members with a valid military ID.

All other military veterans qualify for a 10 percent discount during Memorial Day, Veterans Day and Independence Day.”

If you want to read more:

Military and Veterans Discounts and Identification, August 2011

Reader Feedback Requested: Lowe’s and Home Depot, June 2011

Home Depot: Still Giving the Military Discount Year-Round, and the Veteran’s Discount 4 Weekends A Year, May 2011

Home Depot Military Discount: Official, Updated Information, August 2010

Home Depot Military Discount, August 2010

Lowe’s Official Answer on Military Discounts, July 2010

Lowe’s Military Discount Now Available All Year Long, February 2010

Comments

1. 5136204 says:

I get veterans 10% discount from H.Depot all the time. Some clerks accept just my 1st Recon cap, others require VA card.

• Nino20YRVet says:

I actually got a 20% at home depot. I just purchased a home with a va loan, and got a 10% coupon in the mail with my change of address. Home depot combined the 10% with my 10% military and gave me 20% off my purchase. They also discounted my appliances with the buy more save more so I ended up saving quite a bit. Thank you Home Depot in Bergen County NJ.

• sonoffar says:

I also receive a 10% "military" discount, all the time, from both Lowe's and Home Depot. It would seem that each store has it's own policy based on the temper of the store management. I use my VA card as primary identification and there has been no problem from check out clerks or store management.
      I would recommend that instead of a Drivers Licence you use your VA or Military ID and have it showing when you go for your cash or debit / credit cards.

• Nigel says:

I visited Home Depot yesterday, June. 7 2014, in Baltimore , and was very surprised to find out that they started giving military discount only on certain products. I was very disappointed to find that out, because I used to always get the discount on everything. I am also active military . I guess. I will have to start shopping at lowes from now on

2. USN (Ret) says:

I use Home Depot and Lowes quite often and as a matter of courtesy I show my Military ID card to the clerk. It can be confusing to them if they are not familiar with all the different types of military ID cards. The way I look at this, if you are "qualified" to get the offer of a discount, show them you are qualified to get the discount. Thank you HD and Lowes. I appreciate your support!

3. I agree it can be confusing for people handing out these discounts for veterans there are so many differant cards the only way is to examine them to make sure they are military issued and that the person is valid we have been lucky my husband has his card for serving in Viet Nam he has served his country in ways most of us will never understand as did other veterans we just want the Home Depot and Lowes stores we appreciate the discount we get when we shop it makes us happy to know that someone still cares.

Fran Tetreault
    Blackstone,MA 01504

4. longday says:

It seems there is company policy and then there is the local store policy. It seems store policy can differ from company policy, and from manager to manager. Both HomeDepot and Lowes in my area were giving the discount to all veterans all year long. Then, just a few days ago, my HomeDepot store stopped doing that and reverted to the company policy.
    My veterans photo identification card was issued by the county in which I live. To get it I had to bring in my DD214 and have it copied and notarized and put in the county database. Along with my ID the county clerk then handed me paper that which listed what businesses gave veterans discounts and the amount of the discount… on the list was Lowes and HomeDepot. This list was provided by the local VA rep. -So as you can see the confusion still lingers and will probably stay that way unless they change their company policy.

• GI JOE says:

Simple solution for us VETERANS! Don't shop where we are considered a second class VETERAN. It is very nice to get a discount and I thought it was given year round as a THANK YOU FOR SERVING. NO RUBBER BULLETS IN VIETNAM either. 40 years of getting screwed whats a few more..

5. John Pierce says:

Just a comment on Home Depot's NEW military discount policy. I was recently informed that Home Depot no longer offers military discount on Military ID alone. You now have to sign up with customer service and will be issued "coupons" via mail or email and present them for the discount.
    It is certainly within the rights of Home Depot to discontinue any discount but this thinly veiled attempt to discourage and make it difficult for THE CUSTOMER is not worthy of a world class organization.

• Kyle C. says:

Found the same thing at my Home Depot, and figure when I make the bigger purchases I'll head to Lowe's instead. Unless Lowe's follows suit, then I'll have little incentive to shop there, than over any other store.

• Richard Wampler says:

I agree 100percent

• Abused Cashier says:

I WORK at Home Depot, and I've never heard of this. HD hates to give out coupons. However, as a cashier, if you so much as look like you're going to make trouble, or shove your dirty, wrinkled, maybe-that's-a-discharge-paper in my face for an instant, or tell me your husband is in the military, I'll give you your 10% off. It might say "Customer Satisfaction" on your resume instead of "Military Discount." Military wives and seniors are the worst customers though.

We are NOT allowed to tell anyone about the discount. I was given a warning (3 warnings and good luck getting unemployment from Home Depot) for telling a guy with an ID in his wallet about the discount. Disgusting. Hey, why'd you fight so hard for this country just to buy Chinese anyway?

• nunya246 says:

Abused Cashier, you work at HD and you have never heard of this? Should I attach the "NEW coupon" from HD on here somewhere?

The cashier was rude, and I abused her, verbally. Then I asked for the MOD and she took her time to come to the cashier AND then talked to me like I was cheating HD. I walked out, drove down the road a half a mile and went to Lowes. Showed the cashier my ID, got 10% off and walked out. I've been to Lowes ever since, HD will NEVER get my business again. I served this country and with all the exceptions from HD on the coupon, I'm not busting my butt to shop there.

• Martha K says:

HD is very nice to extend the discount to us … however, it was being abused — both at Lowes and HD — by employees giving the discounts to friends and family with no military service at all. I think this just makes it easier for the stores to give military and veterans the discount without canceling the program totally. JMHO

• Woody says:

Yes, that's true, but only in Maine and Minnesota. Home Depot is using these two states for a "test" period to see how it goes. I've expressed my dissatisfaction to HD. However, on occasion, I receive a 15% coupon. Notice they didn't try this test program in a heavily populated military state such as Virginia, Texas or California.

6. Dave Marsters says:

Maybe we should bring back the small local lumber yards. More friendly.

• cj mael says:

They'd be back if they could…but they are too expensive. Few of them will even match Home Depot or Lowes prices. They realy more on comercial accounts where money goes from the banks hands to the builder in the way of a check….and the builder has no concern of whether the lumber yard is cheap or not..he has to buy from which lumber yard the bank authorized him to. Often the bank and the lumber yard will be working together. this is why when a normal home owner walks into a small lumber yard now, they treat you like nothing…because they only care about the commercial accounts. Fact.

7. g. jamison says:

Our local Home Depot initially told us that they no longer honored the military discount year round because so many contractors were coming in and using their military discount to fund their business supplies, when it was initially intended to be used just on a personal basis to help the veteran on his home. So, some ruined it for the rest of us.

• HD Cashier & Veteran says:

g.jamison: if the contractor received the military/veteran discount, it was a mistake on that employee's part. it states in our policy the discount is only to be given if payment is NOT on a commercial business card. the discount is meant solely for private use, not for business purchases.

8. Eaea says:

I went to lowes and the were very caring. Offered 10% off the SALES price (I'm a disabled vet). Home depot was willing to give 10% off the RETAIL price…I will only shop at lowes!

• HD Cashier & Veteran says:

Eaea: i'm sorry you encountered a HD that did not honor the discount on the sale price of an item. a sale price is available to everyone, but the qualified military personnel should still receive the discount on these purchases. it is only on 'clearance' items we cannot honor the discount as the prices on these items are already rock-bottom. my suggestion – ask to speak to the MOD (manager on duty) and calmly (please!) explain what i just shared with you.

• nunya246 says:

Talk to the MOD? COme on now HD is a rip off, I talked to the MOD about the new COUPON policy and she treated me like I was trying to steal something.

I read the new coupon policy and all the EXCEPTIONS….. I only shop at Lowe's now. All you do is show them your ID and you get the 10%, no debriefing, no additional paperwork, no waiting for the MOD to come to the cashier in her sweat time, etc….

• john says:

Was told at HD that you can't double dip, so I went to Lowes and got the discount price plus the 10% veterans discount.

• Joe says:

Lowe's will only give 10% off the material not off the installation. This is the company policy. This is because the installs are through a third party contractor ans the contractor does the work thus the discount cannot be applied.

9. Rosemary says:

Question–Lowe's Discount
    I am going to order carpeting and having it installed by Lowe's.
    Will they give the 10% discount just on the materials or on the full bill which includes installation?
    Please advise if anyone has had experience with this. Thank you.

• HD Cashier & Veteran says:

not sure about lowe's rosemary, but HD, unless it has changed recently, does not allow the discount on installation products or services, gift cards, special buy appliances, or on-line purchases. you can go to homedepot.com (& probably lowe's website) & search 'veterans' – it should pull up all the info. i encourage this as it has been stated already, not every store (nor every employee) knows all the rules & regs regarding the discounts.

• Ron says:

Rosemary, Lowes gave us the 10% discount off of the total bill, install and material. Of course that was last year…

• Paul says:

Gracefully take what ever discount they give you and be grateful. It would not hurt you to ask nicely.

10. EdC says:

I have received the discount for items and install services.

11. Tom says:

Lowes and home depot have different policies to a certain class of veterans. There are veterans who are not retired or disabled but served many years in military. Home depot gives the discount with the DD-214 plus a picture id, lowes does not.

• HD Cashier & Veteran says:

& please, please, please…do not yell at, cuss at, grumble at, or be mean-spirited to a cashier asking to see your driver's license when showing our DD-214. as it doesn't have our picture on it, they MUST see a photo id to compare name to DD-214 & face to name. i'm also a vet (& have to use my DD-214) & totally understand why they must do this (since i'm a cashier at HD). it's only happened a couple times (too many), but i've had all of the above thrown at me. i can also tell you…if you act this way toward the cashier who is trying to get your the 10% discount – she/he is within their rights to call management – & they are within their rights to deny you the discount if you are being abusive….as also stated so perfectly above, if is a privelege they offer us – not a right. btw – HD employees do NOT get a discount, so i have to rely on the veteran discount & am very thankful.

• Ronnie says:

Our Home Depot refuses to accept the DD214 as acceptable ID for military discounts. We have found this policy does seem to vary between Lowes and Home Depot. Also seem to depend on the local manager. Our Lowes honors the DD214 with a picture ID. Our local Home Depot in Denham Springs, Louisiana, will quite rudely tell you the DD214 is not acceptable and there fore you are not a qualified veteran. I'm having trouble with that description. A veteran is a veteran. If there seems to be so much confusion between the stores, it can be resolved very easily. Stop giving veteran discounts completely or give them to all veterans.

Ronnie, it sounds like your Lowes is being very generous. It is not in their corporate policy to accept DD214 for a military discount, because a DD214 does not show that you have met their policy for military discount. Both Lowes and Home Depot offer everyday, military discounts to active duty, retirees, and service-connected disabled veterans. A DD214 does not prove that you are in any of those categories. The veterans discount, offered by both stores on several major weekends each year, specifically DOES accept the DD214 as identification because the veterans discount is for all veterans.

It seems like most of the confusion and complaints about this generous program come from some stores trying to be nice and giving it to people who did not meet the corporate policy. Then, when other stores DO follow the rules, people get upset. They can't win.

12. Maureen says:

We just came from home depot (Dover, de) and we were informed that they will no longer give the military discount to members of the coast guard…what's with that? Isn't this discrimination?? Guess well switch to lowes and hope they don't do the same, we constantly shop at these stores.

• HD Cashier & Veteran says:

maureen, ask for the MOD!!! (Mgr on Duty). if you have your military ID or DD-214, you should get the discount. i'm assuming it was a cashier who turned you down? unfortunately, because there are so many 'bad' people who try to get things they do not deserve, they try to teach non-military cashiers the best they can on what to look for & for non-military people, it can sometimes seem overwhelming, especially if they are younger people. since we are monitored (both on transactions as well as on camera to insure we ARE looking at ID's for DD-214's), if they are unsure they should call the MOD. but if they do not think of this, request they call. but again, unless they are being ugly to you, please try to be as understanding as possible with their ignorance of military things.

• Paul says:

Sir, with all due respect it is not discrimination. Are you discriminating when you only donate to one organization and not another? You do not have the right to complain when someone gives you something, then they decide to stop. The right you do have, is the right to spend your money where ever you choose. So please, stop complaining and be grateful for the discounts they gave you.

• Tom says:

I am Coast Guard and I have never had an issue in either store. most have no clue, they just see uniform services. The words. Active and Reserve are no longer on the ID cards Good luck and Semper Paratus. Sarasota, Fl

13. roger says:

retired and disabled vet. never like the hassles. based on this Ill try lowes

14. Lee says:

I called Home Depot corporate office yesterday. (1-800-553-3199) They will no longer provide the everyday military discount. Those that qualified for it will have to register @ a local retail store to be entered in their database to receive, via email, discounted coupons based on their purchasing patterns. Coupons will begin to go out the first week of April. Looks like the good deal has finally run it's course. I was told this was trial for both the customer and HD cashiers. My feelings during the conversation was that too many unentitled were abusing the generosity of the Home Depot.

• joe says:

I just called HD corporate, and the women on the Phone said nothing has changed, its the same as it was before, the 4 Major holidays, and the 10% everyday to certain ID'd users

• HD Cashier & Veteran says:

Lee, they haven't mentioned anything like that to us in any way. i have heard (from customers) that some stores are having customers go to the service desk (one time) and are entered in the computer (proving their military status with appropriate papers/id cards). once this is done, (not sure the system as we do not have it at our store yet) but somehow, at the register, the customer only enters a code or something like that to get the discount…so they do not have to show their id or dd-214 every time they shop…i kinda like that idea!

15. honorably discharged says:

I wonder if those at corporate level, who determine veterans discount, ever served a day in their life! My guess…probably not.

16. Dick Brown says:

I was just told that effective April 1st 2012, the discount is gone (Oakland Park, FL). She gave it to me anyway, but after 22 years active duty, just another thing that has been taken away from retirees.

17. Tim says:

This is absolutely out of control. It sounds like Home Depot and Lowe's are required to give a military or veterans discount. It looks like their attempt to do something good is becoming a nightmare. I wonder, is it the same at grocery stores, shopping malls, the gas station, restaurants? who else is withholding a discount from our military personnel on each and everything they purchase? I have three brothers who have served and I asked them if they felt they were owed a discount as a part of their compensation for serving their country. they each laughed in my face and said they were honored and paid for what they did. They like it when they get a discount, who wouldn't? But too disparage a place or stop going there because they don't get a discount would be, in their words, juvenile and entitled.

• HD Cashier & Veteran says:

KUDOS TIM – thank you for stating my feelings so well. as a veteran… & HD cashier – i'm continually stunned at, fortunately few, who seem to demand things as their right or due. i'm very grateful for the discount given but do not feel it is owed to me either. it's extremely hurtful to me when i'm cussed for requesting a photo id with a dd-214. btw, check out your arby's – ours gives a 10% discount LOL.

• Paul says:

I am a vet and retiree and I applaud your comment and your brothers' view on this issue. In my book, they are honorable men who proudly served. These other whiners make the rest of us vets look like welfare cases. Its shameful.

18. Dave Evans says:

Both Lowes & Home Depot refused me the discount, saying that it's policy has changed. Not being a retired or disable vet, (only served my country 7 yr 4mos 28 days part of which Korea 1950-52) I am only elgible on Veterans Day, July 4 & memorial day. I guess some of us are move veterans than others.
    Commander Dave Evans
    Korean War Veterans/Scottsdale AZ

Dave, the policy hasn't changed per se. The implementation of the policy at the store level has been lax since the discount program began. It has always been a "military" discount all year round, and a "veterans" discount several weekends a year. The stores choose to define "military" roughly in line with the qualifications for a DoD issued military ID: active duty, National Guard or reserve or dependents, retired military and dependents, and disabled veterans. If you meet the eligibility as "military," then you qualify all year round. If you meet the eligibility as "veteran," then you qualify for the discount on the designated weekends.

Many stores have been generously giving the "military" discount to "veterans" for several years. They have been gradually trying to return to the clearly stated policy. I actually feel badly for these stores who are trying to do something nice and are getting bashed for it.

• Mindy Dee says:

Dave, first off, thank you for your 7+ years of service to our Nation. We appreciate the sacrifices of you & your family. My dad served in WWII & would've loved to know he was honored on the special periods as outlined by this private company with the gift of a discount. My dad was as much of a veteran as you or my husband who still is in at 19 years. Lowes is doing a good thing for all the military families & we thank them too!

• donald corson, sr. says:

Wow Commander, that's terrible! I am a retired, and disabled veteren with 26 years of service, (Four years active duty in the Navy, two years inactive reserves, 19 years Army National Guard, and 14 mths. Army active duty), but have NEVER once been asked to validate any of that information. I have a V.A. medical I.D. card which I simply present each time I make a purchase, and I get my discount – no questions asked. I feel bad that a veteran of your caliber is being treated like this. Hope you have better results in the future sir.

• Paul says:

Seriously? You are old enough to know better then to complain about this. You should know by now that we are not all equal. These discounts were not rights. Did you complain when you did not get treated like the Vietnam vets did when they got back? You people that complain about this are an embarrassment to the rest of us.

19. sonoffar says:

I asked at my local Lowes if purchases made on line were also eligible for a 10% discount.
    No one at the registers was sure but the store manager told me to make my online purchases, bring in the receipts and they would do a merchandise return and then resell me the items at the 10% discount. That's a lot of effort on there part and I thank them heartily for their effort and action.

20. JJM says:

Wow…..as a four year active duty vet, I always get the 10% discount at Lowes. All I say is I'm a vet and is there a discount. They give the discount on the sales price too. I buy all my appliances from Lowes, and as a landlord of a couple properties, I buy a lot of stuff from Lowes. They are great, and I'm very loyal because of this discount. Home Depot wont grant me the discount, and thats fine, but Lowes is getting a lot of business from me.

• MakeLoveNotWar says:

Awesome! I can't wait to tell Lowe's that I am a "veteran" even though I'm not! Cool, I love discounts! It's kinda funny though, you had to work for your veteran's discount and don't have to show them a valid id…I didn't have to work for my "veteran's" discount…but I'll still get it. It's sure good to know they don't really care enough about veterans to check for ID's to make sure some jerk is not just taking advantage of their good nature and mocking dedicated vets! Wow, what a country…even better than Canada…I was there in the 60's!

• Aav Amphibs says:

Lowes told me the other day that the veterans discount is applicable all year around! I even asked him if he was sure, and I had no problem at the register.Following day, cashier questioned my veterans designator on my driver's license, stating that this was "Not a military ID card". I told him that Texas recently added this in a bill, and veterans may get the "Veteran" designation on driver's license. He gave me the discount but after mumbling that he had never seen such a thing before.
      You're right. Home Depot only during holidays for veterans without photo VA healthcare access ID cards.

21. MINDY DEE says:

I purposely shop Lowes for their commitment to the military. My husband has been in 19 years & we do take them up on their offer. But this is not an entitlement, it's their way of showing their appreciation. It's a GIFT! We like gifts, so we continue to shop Lowes! THANKS LOWES :) It really helps us out, & we appreciative all you've contributed to the military families.

22. red princess says:

We should thank these stores for their support – they have the most liberal discount policies I know of. Most places who offer the discount is to active duty only – which I appreciate also. Do not give these places a hard time – they are under NO OBLIGATION to offer a discount – and I personally find it very offensive when someone whines about not gettin one. YOU ARE NOT OWED OR ENTITLED TO A DISCOUNT!! You should be thanking these stores and on the occasion when the clerk is unsure – smile and thank them and if the money is that important at that moment in time then ask them if they could PLEASE clarify with the manager. The discount is a luxury – not a right!

• HD Cashier & Veteran says:

oh my goodness, THANK YOU red princess! i agree 100% – as a veteran, but mostly as a HD cashier LOL.

• davidhp52 says:

If they are not going to give a discount, then quit advertising that they do to trick military into shopping in their stores. Do you like businesses that lie to you to get your business – I don.t. It will be a cold day in hell when I thank a store or business that lies to me to get me in the door. Wake up.

23. Dean says:

Home Depot has stopped offering discounts. Active and veterans must now "register" and receive "special offers" by email. No more on-the-spot discounts.

I have voiced my displeasure to the store manage and the national customer service desk. Lowe''s gets all my business from now on.

• HD Cashier & Veteran says:

another suggestion, go to homedepot.com and send a comment. or if you choose, the bottom of every receipt has a survey. it is short and at the end, you get to type comments just as we do here. say your piece! it goes directly to corporate. not only do they listen & respond (positive or negative) to your comments on the employees (we receive badges, pizza parties etc) but you could also win a $5,000 gift card (4x a year!). they DO listen. if enough people talk, it is possible they may rethink the system. it seems they may be trying out this 'new' way of doing the discounts as a trial as all stores are not even aware of this (like ours). so please, nicely let them know you are displeased & give them a chance to make it right!

24. JIMMY DEE says:

i have got the 10percent veterans discount at my lowes store and i sure do show my appreciation,i buy all my mowers ,garden supples,hot water heaters washers and dryers at. my local lowes store,even if they would stop it i would still shop there.THANK YOU LOWES JIM OF MUNCIE INDIANA

25. Mikey K says:

Lowes has never refused to give my veterans discount, I have spent a lot of money over the years at lowes including back in 1982 when they were still mostly North Carolina based. Home Depot is hurting for business because of the poor attitude of their sales people. They are running their customers off to Lowes. Lowes has always treated me well and I buy my OPE, appliances, some tools and any project supplies from them. I do not always ask for a discount when it comes to lumber and building supplies, but for OPE and other stuff, I do ask and hand them my VA card. Served in the Marines from 1981 to 1989. It has only been in recent years that a vet got anything from anyone other than looked down on. Thanks lowes. Home depot can shove it. They use to be a good place to shop. You would think that the United States of America would have always appreciated the sacrifice and willingness to give your life if needed to provide peace and security to such an awsome Nation. I feel priveledged to have served the people of this Nation and when a person or business treats you well and gives a nice gift, It restores my hope in a Nation that has seemingly become arrogant and un-thankful.

• KimR says:

Im a veteran who served in the 80’s myself and I don’t care so much (either way) about the discount myself. A discount offered either (or not) wouldn’t cause me to shop there or not. Now I never felt there was an attitude problem with their employees in the stores so much (where I have been to). Whenever anything goes wrong they have always been kind and helpful and this time when our roof installation was a nightmare it was their corporate office. Honestly those people are really good at screwing you while putting on a show that they actually care. I am working on a whole blog on this I haven’t really put out there yet and this was one area I wanted to hit on to show how that is done (before the public) and what goes on behind the scenes. Home depot isn’t even moving on the fumes of their former reputation, I believe they had a lot of loses some years back like everyone else, after all screw a man out of his home and there goes home depots business, but that’s what I feel they are doing to us. Its a year to the very month our roof was leaking. They just were not skilled enough installers to fix it if we had someone else touch it we would lose our warranty, but the installers would void so much (manufacturer wise) by their install practices. There seems to be this odd relationship between their installers here (in the U.S) as I heard they have in Canada where one supplies the products and the other the work and they other finances it (and when it come to a profit or their bottom line in this relationship all is well for the customer, if not and customer has been screwed if you don’t bend over and take it without screaming then these games begin on their paying customers, its like these teams are assigned to “handle people” but in that way, and would to say so much because I have witnessed what I believe is that first hand. I am still ignorant of this inner working over there but I am still trying to get to the end of this ordeal, and trying so hard to do that without a lawyer, but that just seems impossible. So I am a disabled veteran myself trying to get through a situation not my own making with them. The only thing I (or we, meaning myself and my husband) did was pay them for a bad install and if anyone is doing John Stossel like reports, or looking for stories, I have a guest room and 5 inches of paperwork, including all estimates, contracts, formal inspections, letters, pictures of damages (still yet not repaired) these being uploaded to online, we have videos, pictures (interior and exterior) complaints opened at BBB and Angies, and this is why I mention what the public sees in these when left open and even when closed. Your gonna get screwed in life, whether you are veteran or not, that doesn’t change but I will refuse to praise Home depot for a 10% discount coming in (vet or not) but a %100 loss when I feel they are very wrong.

Im new to being screwed this badly is probably what my problem is. It come from a direction I really thought I was least likely to get it. Could lose the ability to put a roof over my home for the costs of re roofing it ourselves after spending all we saved for it. Our insurance company doesn’t want it (its Home depots fault) and I have been issued a claims number but the folks at Home depot seem to be playing games with my estimators, emails stop working, then faxes, and P.O box numbers twice were given for asking specifically for where to send things certified just so they will get them (together) when the last come in. I feel I must constantly watch my back. Someone says, look they want to give you your money back (after all) but they did that before they offered me a refund (I will without names) but then the same night revoked it, this is craziness, if I was a reporter and looking for a story I would be standing in doubt as how it got this nuts but it is. This is crazy.

Im guilty of needing a roof, and paying a lot more for it and just buying troubles to myself. Roof is faulty, wood is deteriorating, its been a year, don’t even know if theres mold given the moisture behind the walls.

If anyone is doing a story feel free to contact me, I have just joined a site a few weeks ago trying to upload photos (inspection reports) and I rant a lot but I am trying to put things in order as I need try to seek legal help, and sometimes its hard to take your emotions out and stay with facts only, and its there I am trying to shake that off.

Im a veteran who does not care one wit if Home depot ever discounts veterans a cent (in truth) I paid FULL price (willingly so) and without any grudge as a veteran for this piece of crap over my head and I feel more screwed just by how they handled this whole ordeal. I had an “of age” roof that worked far better then this one has all year long.

• ed woods says:

Some VA CARDS no longer good at Home Depot. showed my card today in Myrtle Beach Cashier said I needed the new updated card . I checked and found that the VA is indeed issuing new cards. They have notations such as Purple Heart, Service Connected, on them. It seems that from now on only VA cards with the notes will be valid. I think Home Depot should really publicize the fact that most vets are no longer able to use the discount on a daily basis. If your faucet needs repair wait till Veterans Day. Lowes honored my VA card yesterday, soooooo….

26. Anthony says:

There is a growing trend with companies stating they are only giving military discount to active duty personnel, and when asked why you are normally told because they are serving our country. So the message that is being sent is that since you no longer serve in the military your service is no longer appreciated. All service members whether active duty, reservists, National Guard or a retiree assists in maintaining America’s freedom. This is a mild form of discrimination, but it is still discrimination towards Reservists, National Guard and retired military.

27. Browne says:

From now on its LOWES for me too. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

28. Fed-up says:

All vets should contact the CEO and demand that they start accepting the DD214 again or vow not to shop there. Enough of the discrimination. His email isrobert.a.niblock@lowes.com.

Dear Fed-up, I usually don't reply to these comments about the Home Depot and Lowes discounts, but I find your comment particularly interesting. Lowes corporate policy is to accept DD214 for the veterans discount that is offered four holiday weekends a year. If your local store is not following the corporate policy, then that would be a legitimate complaint. However, it sounds as if you are advocating that Lowes should offer the year-round military discount to veterans as well. Why do you think this? Why does Lowes owe you a discount? How is it discrimination? Is it discrimination that you are not permitted to shop at the commissary or go to the base medical clinic for care? I am not trying to be rude, I am truly curious. I don't understand. Thank you for your service.

29. D. M. Butterfield says:

All Vets that use a DD214 instead of a retired Military are not retired or on active duty or a disable vet. You are NOT entitled to get the “all the time” discount from the stores that offer it. This is not a government thing its a store thing. Only on special holidays as they say. Be thankful for what you get.. Next thing you'll want to use the PX, commissary & military Hosp. We all told you to stay in and retire.

• Yorktown says:

DM, you come off as an arrogant *****. Wait, you probably are and you were probably just a Boy Scout. ****!

30. connie says:

I use my commissary card every time I ask for discounts at home depot.

31. Craig B says:

Policies are cut and dry for the most part as stated. I always shop at Lowes. I show my va card I get “Thank you for your service” and a 10% discount. I’ve gone to HD and since my va card doesn’t say “Service Connected” I am told “Sorry.” I emailed HD they confirmed it. Stay with Lowes.

32. Christopher Collins says:

I have never understood why veterans are never treated the same way as those that are on active duty. I mean, we served our time already. What is the difference?

• Alfred says:

The difference is they are still serving and you are not. In less than three months I will retire and I do not expect the same recognition. I always ask if a store or establishment offers a military discount. Some do and some and do not so I have a hard time understanding the big deal. Once your time is over it is over.

33. Scott says:

Recently was shopping at a Home Depot in Connecticut for sheetrock and the only 1/2" sheetrock in 4×8 sheets that they sell is their Ultralight brand. Then found out that this sheetrock is not eligible for the 10% military discount and later found out that there are a number of products excluded from the discount. Went across the street to Lowes and no problem with the discount. Pretty poor on Home Depot's part to pull something like this, where you only have one option in the store and they don't honor the discount. Looks like Lowes is getting more business unless I have a gift card to Home Depot.

34. bofaf says:

What about wal mart. Where in the h is their 10% discount. Them dam cheapskates. I am not a veteran but I support our troops. Where is my frakin 10% discount.

35. Grateful Veteran says:

I find it very disappointing to read the entitlement mentality of many of you on this site. The whole idea of military service is placing the needs of others over those of yourself. I have recently passed 20 years of honorable service to this great nation. The only thing I deserve from anyone is a word of thanks, nothing more. It is with great humility that I gratefully accept any/all discounts offered to me from others' respect for my service. I am not entitled to anything other than life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Many of you would do well to consider this before lashing out in a manner which brings discredit upon yourselves.

• James says:

This company is telling the world through their advertising that they support veterans. I am simply holding them to their advertising. The fact that I am not ENTITLED is true. They do not owe me a thing, except that they are getting the benefits of advertising their support to us. In this way they gain the business of those around this country who DO support us and other company's that say they support us. If a company says they support us, then by GOD they will be held to that standard or remove their claims of support. It is the principle of the thing. Do not use my name (Disabled Veteran) in your advertising if it is not true. Go to your local home depot today and ask them for a discount – they will make you sign up to receive your discount via Email. No longer is it a 10% discount, it is an INSTORE credit emailed to you whenever they feel the whim.

• Frances says:

I to served my country many years ago in the mid 70's and I agree with you. The only thing we would like is do not forget us when we need medical attention from the VA accept us regardless how long we served. We volunteered our lives to protect our country now protect us that we old and can not afford medical.

• Carl says:

I'm also a grateful Vietnam veteran. As stated I'm very appreciative of any discounts given me for my service. None due me but appreciated. Also as stated all I'm looking for is a word of "Thanks" from the people of this great nation. When I returned from Vietnam, I can't remember a single persons thanks for my service. I "WILL" enjoy "Life" "Liberty" and "The Pursuit of Happiness" and I "WON'T" lash out at companies or people. May GOD BLESS THIS GREAT COUNTRY ONCE AGAIN"!!!!

36. guest says:

they dont give there employes a disount

37. James says:

Listen, these stores are in business because of us Veterans. We sacrificed for them. I do not like to BEG for a discount. Either offer it or don't. Every group in America is splitting veterans against each other. Combat vs. Non-Combat, In-theater vs. Non-deployed, Disabled Vs. Non-Disabled, Service Connected vs Non Service connected. It a shame that we let them get away with it. And give me a break, we should THANK THEM and not call them on it when their policies and service are terrible. Let me tell you, they are making BILLIONS off of their so called "Veteran Discount" when we all rush in to buy something. They are telling the world they support us, when they support SOME of us. As of today, Home Depot has implemented a new plan where you must REGISTER as a veteran fitting their requirements to receive a INSTORE credit offer at some future time via email. I was there this morning and that is their new policy. So Keep BEGGING American Veterans, maybe they will give you some small scraps off their table.

38. shaun says:

It's A joke what these stores are doing. Of course there going to give active and reserve discounts.disabled vets and retired vets cuz there the smaller group. There going to whipe out the main vet to save millions of dollors It's not fair and is wrong. im disabled my dad is and many others in may classes are and none of us ever heard of a card with a percentage on it. It's wrong a veteran is a veteran. Don't pick and choose. Open your eyes. If your a business person you would know what I mean.

39. shaun says:

This is just another creative way for these companies to save some money, yet give the appearnace of being patriotic,. They eleminate a large percentage of soilders by implienting this lame policy. Let's call it for what it is!!! You are either for a soilder or you are not.

40. Donna - VA Employee says:

All those upset at Veterans voicing frustration with Home Depot should remember that these companies have contacted the Department of Veteran's Affairs and local/national military news outlets to "let them know" about their discounts. In essence, they are receiving free advertising through these outlets, and making millions in sales. I do understand that some have abused the policy, but please review the NEW policy, as stated above in John Pierce's comment. It is an effort to reduce the benefit, yet still be able to claim they offer a discount to keep being advertised by VA and miltiary news outlets.

41. guest says:

Shopped at Home Depot, Salem, NH today and presented my Department of Veterans Affairs picture ID card at the check out…cashier would not accept it because it did not have (service connected disability) under my picture. I am a VN vet w/ a 60% disability but the card is 3 yrs old…..So I went to Lowes, Salem, NH where the were happy to give me the discount….I wrote to the CEO of HD to complain…we'll see what happens….go to Lowes if at al possible.

• cashier says:

the cashier didnt accept it, the company did not accept it, why complain on cashier, would u rather have got discount and cashier lose job for not following policy, you gonna feed her kids

42. jmb says:

Lowes & Home Depot give the 10% discount to the veterans & immediate family>and the veteran has photo ID. Well, I was told at the Cape Girardeau Mo Store that the spouse has to have an ID too….or the Vet has to be with you. If one has their spouses Military pic ID & their Drivers license & you have your drivers license & it has the same physical address…the spouse should be allowed>because sometime they don't shop together:-(

43. chas says:

Egad man! The original store policy is clear. Those outside the policy will surely ruin it for those that qualify. With things the way they are today, I won't blame the stores for eliminating the discounts. Ten percent is all profit.

44. Mike says:

In the Pacific Northwest Lowes, Home Depot, and Ace Hardware all honor military discounts (at least the stores I have been to) however, Fred Meyer and Wal Mart do not. I make it a point to shop at stores that offer discounts when I can vs. the "made in china" chains. Stores absolutely have a right to NOT offer a military discount as we have the right to NOT give them our money to thos stores. So my thank you goes out to any store/business that offers a military discount…your appreciation is appreciated!

45. Steve says:

I don't have the option of going to Home Depot most of the time. The closest HD stores are 35 and 50 miles away. So I can't speak to their policies. Our local Lowes, and several more that I have shopped at, have all been GREAT about honoring the 10% discount everyday (I am a military retiree) on all items, including those that are on sale! Of course, I give Lowes as much business as I can because of this generous policy. I would also point out that we had a Menard's open here about 2 years ago, and I shopped there quite a bit when they first opened. Their military discount policy at that time was less generous because they would not give any discount on sale items, only on regular price merchandise. Several months later, probably sometime early in 2011, Menard's abruptly ended ALL military discounts. This tells me loud and clear that they, like Wal-Mart, do NOT care about military families, veterans, and retirees as customers. That's why I avoid those stores whenever possible!

46. jwizzer says:

Shop at loews for the 10%. Home Depot policy to inconsistent. Thanks to all offering any discount.

47. Myles says:

I have been getting a discount from both Lowes and Home Depot for quite awhile,along with my wife she shows her dependent ID card and gets the same discount.
    Now having said that Lowes in particular are being more careful in distinguishing military retired…vs…. veterans….and have denied veterans this 10% discount because their status as the article stated and….some have abused it by "Loaning" there ID card to non Veterans and Non Military Retires..

As is typical…a few can screw it up for many…

48. Thomas Conner says:

I volunteered to serve, if I had been drafted, I may feel different, but unless the business has it clearly marked they give Soldiers a discount, I DON’T ask! I get a paycheck that right now is a lot larger than those who chose not to serve, so I’m just glad I can afford to shop with or without a discount!

49. Gator says:

I will not shop at home depot in Waxahachie Tx because they refuse any military discount. I will shop at lowes they honor it all the time. Cabelas also stopped military discount. Basspro shops honor it

50. Gator says:

I am a 100% disable vet. I try to only support businesses that are vet owned or offer military discount. Now just because they offer a military discount does not mean that I ask for it. It just means that I appreciate and support those who support me and my fellow patriots. Semper-Fi

51. Gator says:

52. Gator says:

53. Sarge says:

Folks, listen up!
    Home Depot and Lowe's owe you nothing. They are kind enough to extend a discount based on their rules. If you don't get it, you are missing nothing. You pay the same price everyone else does.
    If you do get it, thank them.

54. Gator says:

I try to only support businesses that are vet owned or offer military discount. Just because they offer a military discount does not mean that I ask for it. It just means that I appreciate and support those who support our military.

55. Christine says:

As a vet and a drilling reservist, I appreciate, but don't expect, the discount.

A note for the Military.com writers, though — these discounts also apply to reservists, per the language of the stores' policies. The article leaves us out of the group who are offered the all-the-time discount.

Christine, thanks for pointing that out. I\’ve updated the article, and I\’m pretty sure that all the other bjillion Lowes and Home Depot articles also specify reservists and National Guard. If you\’ve got a valid DoD issued military ID, you are eligible.

56. Jason says:

Was just denied at lowes

57. Russell Withrow says:

I am a totally dedicated Lowes customer, they always honor those with a military ID card and are pleasant to deal with. I recently moved from Florida to Bardstown Ky and the local Lowes store is second to none, they really believe in customer service and respect all their customers.

58. AKMilitaryFamily says:

We went to our neighborhood HOME DEPOT to make a large purchase since we like their product, had been researching for a while, of course appreciated the military discount (both my wife and I are currently active military). The bottom line is that once we go to the cashier it only discounted $50. (purchase was over $2000) We were told this is new policy, $50 maximum as of a week or two ago. Now, while I don't care at all that they limited the discount and I am terribly greatful to get a $1 off let alone $50 or more. I can't stand the thought that a company would go out of their way advertise and offer a discount publicly, but when they retract it so drastically a few weeks after beginning their military tracking system (which is a totally different security issue in and of itself)… Well I am sorry Home Depot, but you have just lost my future business, and that of every military friend I can tell. Thank you for what you have done in the past, but to have planned on a purchase and even thought we would receive an advertised discount only to stand at the cashier and find other wise. LOWES on the other hand THANK YOU!.

59. @eddievidmar says:

How do these businesses define "disabled"? I am in the large group at 20% afflicted with diabetes as a result of agent orange exposure. Am I "disabled" or is that term reserved for 100% only?

60. faye says:

do they give the discount at the time of purchase or do the send you a debit card to spend in the store for the amount of the discount to spend in the store.?

faye, they give the discount at the time of purchase.

• faye says:

at time of purchase…a manger will come up and complete the transaction. also home depot in brandon, florida does not give military discounts. i have been denied on 3 occasions so i only shop at lowes; they always honor the discount.

61. Retired Military says:

First of all, I’m a retired Army Officer with 27 years of active service, so I believe I know and understand what being in the military is all about.

Here’s my latest findings between Lowe’s and Home Depot. Both home improvement stores offer military with some exceptions. For example:
    Lowe’s offers a military discount on almost everything except….. “Cull Lumber.” So, for the most part Lowe’s offers a 10% military discount on everything else.
    Home depot on the other hand, “Does Not” offer a military discount on its regular Lumber. There are also other exceptions, so please check with your the Home Depot Management team to clarify what is allowed and what is not allowed.
    I discovered this when I was purchasing pressure treated lumber (4x4s/2x4s/2x6s). When I was checking out I showed the cashier my Military ID card and they (the cashier) attempted to scan the military discount bar code, but without success. Not being able to figure why the scan wouldn’t go through, the cashier called management and the manager on duty (MOD) gave me the discount. The MOD didn’t know why the scan couldn’t give me a discount. A week or so later I was in Home Depot again buying lumber and again ran into the same problem, this time the manager gave me an answer and informed me Home Depot “Does Not” give military discounts on Lumber….. Since then I purchase my lumber from Lowe’s. I get a 10% military discount every time without any issues.
    Home Depot does give a 10% military discount, but with exceptions.

Anyway, for all you military types out there…. You have Lowe’s and Home Depot out there….both are decent, but you make the choice.

62. Tim B says:

As a 22 year AF retiree, I have yet to be denied at any Lowes or Home Depot in various states.

63. Brett says:

Home Depot has modified their military discout policy to a maximum of $50. If you purchase $500.01 or more, your discount is capped at $50. They have a card they are handing out with their new policy reading:

"For this program, the maximum discount allowed will now be limited to a $500 purchase, or up to a $50 discount. The new max discount amount will allow us to continue to offer the lowest prices to our customers, day in and day out."

64. Butch Brockschmidt says:

I'am a military combat wounded vet. The wounds that i received did not disable me thank GOD-.Iserved my time in veit nam ' where i was wounded. TO WHO REALY CARES//// I can;t go on a military base to buy things at a discount ,but my friends that were never in combat can go get all the benifets they have to offer if they are retired, been disabled, or serving duty now. Something is wrong with this picture.And people are complaining about a discount at lowes and home d.

65. mike says:

i've always been treated with great respect at both stores and have no complaints–mike estev retired USAF

66. Proud Wife says:

My husband is a disabled Navy vet. Since we learned of the discount program, Lowes has treated us wonderfully. We bought a freezer there on Veteran's Day. When the manager saw my husband's service designation, he stacked several "manager discretion" discounts on our order, then applied the 10% veteran's discount. He walked my husband to the truck, shook his hand and said, "Thank you, sir, for your service." When employees see our truck pull in with DV plates, they go to the truck to assist him. He's never experienced such honor for his service.

67. Gary says:

FYI, Home Depot is no longer offering Vet/Military discounts. Theynow want you to go out and get an email address and "subscribe" to "weekly on-line discounts" that they give to everyone. Lowe's however still offers Military/Vet discounts to those possessing Military ID or VA card.

68. Chad says:
  69. RetiredVet says:

Went to HD over Memorial Day when they advertised the Military Discount and purchased a handheld yard blower/vac was not given military discount, they said item did not qualify. Was told that only certain items qualify for this discount.

70. john says:

Big deal 10 per cent,thats only .10 cents on a dollar.I use to give that to ALL senior ciz. when i was in business. Guess .10 cents isn't worth saving your/a life.Served in Viet Nam for 3 Full Years.

71. Gwompa says:

I am a Vietnam "In Country" Veteran and I wear a ball cap stating such! When I enter Lowes in Brockport, all the
    WOW MY comment ods a little bit too long they say BUT there is NO letter or word counter so how ya spoda know when you are close tpo being too long?? I will NOT ever post here again guys. Thanks a lot military .com, glad you don't have anything to do with the REAL GUYS that are in the treal military.. You sound just like ERA Vets, Never was antwhere within harm buit still get the same benfits WE do.

72. gwompa says:

Plase excuse my spelling in the above comment, I was really pissed off that after carefully spending time typing what I felt about this subject, the website decided to censor parts of my comments and didn't like it in its entireity. So I typo'd everything after trying to make it NOT SO LONG!! Have a nice day people..
    SEMPER FI .. :)
    I will NEVER come back to this crummy website..

73. Ross says:

I just left HD, I had to 'register" as a D.V. showed my VA card as always. corporate visted the store and implemented new policy, no register, no discount! after registering, some personal info, (DOB, address, Discharge date) they told me the system was checking with DOD and I would be e-mailed a question, once answered they had 20 minutes to approve or disapprove………..What is going on here? A lumber supply store with access to DOD data base? Either they are pulling my wounded leg or something is rotten in DHS………..

74. RET E 7 says:

I have had sevel experiences with LOWES I just bought a new kitchen was given a discount by the maker , by Lowes and also a gift card saved about three grand all total. Also had and experience where they would not do a price match guartentee. Ask for the store manager and customer service counter clerk contacted manager on phone and he authorized the match, also got military discount saved over a hundred dollars so wen the clerk say no ask to see the manager also found out each store is assigned a dollar amount to reach so if you are spending a large amount do what you need to do. Oh the 10% covers the tax and ends up being a 2% saving.

75. Tom USS Midway says:

It is all pretty simple, Home Depot does not want my business, Lowes does. Last time I saw the financials, HD was showing good profits, as was Lowes. I will continue to shop Lowes as they seem to appreciate my business, while HD wants to change policies from store to store.

76. Bill says:

I have used Lowes Military discount for a number of years – A manager just informed me that it now only applies to active military. One description I read says the program includes retired. Retired is an ambiguous word. I elected not to re-up when my service ended, thus I am retired – granted without a pension, but none the less retired. All Vets are retired military – there are pensioners and non pensioners. Actually the non pensioners need the Lowes discount more then the pensioners – those folk usually get a pretty hefty check.

77. Milli H says:

I work for HD and I've come into this issue alot. My manager explained it like this: "The discount is something we had to partner with the government (i.e. military) and they determined what ID's were acceptable for everyday discount and what was not. This is why we have a printout at every register with pictures of what ID's are elgible for an everyday discount and what ID's would be elgible for the 3 holidays." I know in my store in the past we've been lax with the policy. Our store is no longer being lax with the policy, we are following exactly what it says,Complaining about not getting the discount makes you look juvenile. Go ahead and shop at Lowe's as well because personally as a cashier I'd rather have you over at Lowe's throwing your tantrums and having a fit over something that you feel you're entitled to. That's less of an ear sore for me and for my customers that come into the store. No one should have to endure this type of behavior, employee or customer alike.

78. jerryleedisney says:

When I moved to the DC area last summer, I was surprised when the cashier at Home Depot said that, in order to receive their 10% military discount, I had to register in their "database" at customer service. This is even with a valid Active Duty CAC as a form of ID. I balked at the idea of giving up my personal information, and stopped shopping at the Home Depot in Alexandria and Springfield VA. However, I continued to shop at HDs in DC proper and in NC, and I was able to receive the discount at the register by just showing my CAC. I've seen in some discussion groups that the database may have been a pilot program in just the NoVa area.

Now that I've bought a house and need some more DIY supplies, I decided to check with HD Customer Care through their website. According to "Corey," it's now company policy to require all eligible military members active/retired/disabled to register with each store to "ensure that the transaction goes through smoothly while checking out
    at the store." I've still seen no official policy on HDs military discount, either in the store or on their website.

Your thoughts?

• jerryleedisney says:

(correspondence below)
      THD Customer Care <thdCustomerCare@homedepot.com>
      4 Nov (3 days ago)

Hello Mr. Lewis,

I am sorry for the inconvenience you have encountered with the details
      of the military discount in the store. In order to take advantage of the
      military discount, you would have to register with in the store. This is
      to ensure that the transaction goes through smoothly while checking out
      at the store. This is due to the policy that is currently in place.

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience this has caused.

Sincerely,

Area of Interest: interestRetail
        Topic: feedback_retail_store
        Product Brand:
        Order Number:
        Store Locator:
        Service Number: null
        Comments: What is your current military discount policy? I've seen it
        posted on blogs, but the page on your website is blank.
        Why is the policy different in the Northern VA area? At other HDs in
        the country (NC, CA, WY and even DC itself), I've only had to show my
        _Active Duty_ CAC ID to receive the 10% discount. However, last summer
        (August 2012) in the Richmond Highway Alexandria, VA store, I was told I
        had to first register my personal data with the store in order to
        receive the discount. I was uncomfortable doing that, so I accordingly
        stopped shopping at HD because of the policy. Now that I've just moved
        to Woodbridge, VA, I shopped at the Dale City/Woodbridge VA, and I was
        also told that I had to register at that store in order to receive the
        the military discount. So I've started shopping exclusively at Lowe's
        again.
        I'm sure you understand that on a busy weekend, registering for this
        "database" at the customer service desk could take quite a lot of time.
        But even more important, as military members, we are taught to safeguard
        our personal data for security and identity theft concerns. Is this
        registering Active Duty military in this "database" a current company
        policy, or is the Northern VA district operating in an autonomous
        enclave? And why is there no information about the "database" on your
        website?

-Walt Lewis

79. rchulse says:

Home Depot Sucks. buy elsewhere

80. Kirk says:

Home Depot only gives the discount on selected items. Perhaps this just applies at the HD that I use. Lowes has always give me the 10% on all items I purchase.

81. john NJ says:

HOME DEPOT CHANGED ITS POLICY October 2013. I was unable to get the discount with an active duty military ID. Store was in New Jersey. It used to be a discount across the board and every day. Now there are tons of excluded items, limitations. LOWES IS BETTER!! LOWES GETS ALL BUSINESS FROM NOW ON.

• Robert0927 says:

I just had the same experience..No discounts for plumbing parts now. Back to Lowes for me even if I do have a longer drive!!! My Florida Lowes gives me 10% no matter what I buy…

82. cj Mael says:

A ''Blue'' Retiree ID card is what they are looking for…they ''know'' it qualifies…but all other ID's confuse them normally. That has been my observation. I've never been denied in 30 years since I retired out.

83. agedog1 says:

Complete and utter bull. Home Depot DOES NOT HONOR VETS its all advertising. I took both my VA card and a copy of my DD214 and they would not honor the discount. I refuse to shop at the Vero Beach Florida store (corner of 58th Avenue and State Road 60). I implore all veterns to boycott that Home Depot. There is a Lowes across and a bit east of HD whom actually honor veterns. Also the employee's I encountered (including the manager) at Home Depot were extremely rude. I don't think they care for women in the military I got the impression even after showing 3 ID's and my DD 214 they didn't believe women were in the service. Besides if you can prove you served why wont they honor that? Heck we were lucky to survive

• Maxwell Edison says:

I would like to personally thank you for serving. Before I was a senion citiz., I often asked a retailer in my small town, restauants, car repair centers, small groceries, etc. if they would consider granting me a Veteran's discout.
      Some of them did it! Can't hurt to ask.
      Sorry you were given such a hard time. No excuse.

84. tkdgirl347 says:

Lowe's and HD have basically the EXACT same policy. Anyone with a brain would realize that. Yes, you have to have a VALID military ID, either the blue, red, or tan military card that MEPS gives you, or the VA card with the service connected underneath your picture, OR an active duty ID. For those who are complaining, HD made about 18 billion in one QUARTER. I only hear 1 outta 50 customers complain, and that's because Lowe's is always cutting shortcuts to tell people what they wanna hear. Lowe's doesn't care about the customers. Just saying. Oh by the way, my father is Service Connected (he lost his hearing during Vietnam) and he's been working at HD for 10 years, never uses his discount. the discount is a GIFT, not a GIVEN RIGHT. If you want a discount 24/7, they have discounts on base. :)

• Madmaxmutt says:

This is no longer true. I was told today that HD does not include "commodities as of Feb 10 2014". That means the building supplies are not included. I called the 800 number. They know very little about the change except the discount "no longer applies to any online or phone purchases". The local store manager re-stated (actually read me the words off of the form) the policy change over the phone. He also said the list of items excluded is literally changing daily. You will not know if the item is included in the discount until you check out at the register.

85. clerk says:

for those that dont " qualify" for discount, remember the cerk behind counter is just tring to make a living and is only following what corporate office instructed them to do, so if you want to curse at them, throw a tantrum, and think your offending clerk by saying you shop somewhere else, we are actually releived, customers want respect, well they clerks do to, i am a clerk at one of these stores , and have actually had customer throw merchandise at me, really people, and customers discount if qualified would have only been 2 dollars, really people

86. Dave baker says:

If a item is on sale do HD and Lowes also give the veteran the 10 percent as if it was marked 10 percent down then the vet wouldn't be getting a discount. The manager said that they can't give two discounts?

87. davidhp52 says:

I am a retired Air Force veteran and have used the military discount at Home Depot for years – they have recently changed their policy and now the discount doesn't cover everything and you can't find out until you attempt to pay for the item. I recently bought an air conditioner at Home Depot because I was sure I would get a 10% discount but the air conditioner did not have a military discount. I believe Home Deport is deceptive in advertising military discounts and not giving them on everything – a piss poor business practice to trick military people into buying at their stores.

88. kelly meadows says:

I was in a Lowes store in Union City, Tennesse and was advised that they could not accept my retirement card as it was not on their list on accepted cards by the company. My card was issued on January1, 1978 and does not call for update, if discounts are not given to all veterans then do not give to any veteran or give a updated list to the stores on accepting all cards . thank you

89. Katie says:

I work at Lowe's and the policy is FEDERALLY ISSUED PICTURE ID THAT HAS NOT EXPIRED. Our state now has a veteran's designation on the back of the card which is unacceptable for the MILITARY discount as it is state-issued. It is however acceptable on the veteran's holidays (as stated above) as is a DD214. We are not withholding discounts to be hateful. We are being compliant to keep our jobs. I know it is confusing but it really rattles me to have to call my manager to explain this (our store even has a PRINTOUT of acceptable ID pictures that I show to the customer AND THEY STILL ARGUE. Yesterday a lady left gallons of mixed paint in our store for not giving the discount and all they had was a paper membership card to the American Legion. We ate the cost of that paint to be compliant. I thank you for your service but please don't ask me to put my job on the line so you can save a couple bucks.

90. Katie says:

And I do tell EVERY person male or female with the proper ID "Thanks for your service" and I am honored to give the discount. For those of you who haven't been to our store lately we are now authorized at the register to give the discount without a manger override for purchases under $100. Knowing this may put more pressure on us cashiers to give unauthorized discounts but I am adamant on compliancy. This is because it makes it easier to serve the ones entitled to the discount, many of whom would apologize for holding up the checkout line.

91. chere says:

Let's face it, they advertise that they support veterans in order to bring in more money. considering the minimum,Mark up on each and every item they can well afford the discount. I quit shopping at both lowes and Home Depot they have no respect for veterens – we are just being used in name only to improve their cash flow

92. wayne says:

amen brother,home depot will not get anymore of my buissness

93. va-retiree says:

Actually, a veteran is anyone that has served for more then 180 days of active duty. Not everyone that serves leaves disabled, VA makes the final decision on one's status. America may owe us more, but a private owned company doesn't owe us anything. With your logic, a 180+day veteran should have the same discount as retiree that had committed 20+ years of their lives to a 6-month wonder "veteran"??? I appriecate anything I receive.

94. sonoffar says:

I don't figure anyone owes me a damn thing. I served despite the opportunity to slip up to Canada. I'm an American by birth and by choice. I served on that basis alone, not so anyone could give me a cut on the price of lumber. If they choose to do so I am greatful and show it by giving them my business, if not it's not really my problem, now is it?

95. Richard Wampler says:

I agree 100 percent. Thanks

96. scott says:

This is exactly what gives Honorable and respected Veterans a bad name. Be respectful, it's the stores choice to give us discounts, never demand anything from your service other than that of the Government. Though you may think of yourself as an individual, you represent the rest of us as Veterans as well.

97. PAC says:

I'm a vet with eight years service (Korean War). No one owes me anything. I merely served to do my duty! Stop sniveling. Home Depot and others are graciously extending a courtesy as good citizens. This poor me victim BS makes me sick!! The Country or companies lke Home Depot or Lowes don't owe you anything, not welfare. a house, a job or a measley 10% discount!
    Your attitude is what's ruining this Country!!

98. Browne says:

I AGREE IF YOU SERVED YOUR TIME AND DISCHARGED HONORABLY YOU SHOULDNT BE DISCRIMINATED AGAINST JUST BECAUSE YOU WERENT DISABLED NO MATTER WHAT WAR YOU HELPED!!!!!!!!!!!!

99. Dwight H says:

I am currently serving and I don't feel that any private business or American citizen owes me a damn thing. I am proud and humbled by the opportunity to serve my country. I put my right hand up and took the oath. I am aggravated by the entitlement mentality I hear from many of the posters in this forum. I am grateful for the military discounts offered by some of the businesses in my communtiy, but to be honest, I find it kind of embarrassing to ask about them. I am no better and no more deserving than any other hard working, tax paying American.

100. shaun says:

preach it

101. wernerhindrichs says:

Idiot. It's fools like you who cause the reminder of us lots of grief.

Werner Hindrichs, MAJ ret

102. Zelda says:

You need help! I served 20 years because I love my country, I am a disabled veteran and your attitude hurts fellow veterans not help us.

103. Richard H. says:

I’m a US Navy retiree with 20+ years of service and I am NOT disabled, as are many of my fellow retirees! What gives you the right or authority to make such a statement? Your entitlement attitude gives all veterans an undeserved bad reputation!

104. Steve says:

Are you nuts. A veteran is anyone that served.

105. Bob says:

I read this from the righteous and indignant, as a Vietnam vet with disability I qualify, I however gave up my Veterans administration card long ago because of my choice of care and i have been blessed with a significant income. In early 1990 I stopped going to the VA to allow that funding to take care of my brothers that were less fortunate. Shame on you or anyone that states that if my brother or sister in arms was not injured they deserve less, shame on you for challenging their service since they were here at home. If they are a Veteran, they deserve what all Veterans deserve, thanks, while many of your families were protesting and running from service, we were in swamps just wanting to survive and fulfill our orders and responsibility. If these organizations cannot afford the 10% for all, change the program, but do not discriminate and let none of us forget our brothers and the responsibility. In order for our government to support so many entitlement programs, VA funding and cuts resulted in changes to the Veterans Affairs that created part of this issue. I would rather see no discount than a half hearted effort and discriminatory policy. To those of you on your high horse, so yea judge, so shall ye be judged!

106. Paul says:

Your attitude of feeling entitled is shameful. Nobody owe us squat and specially any business, not even the city government. So please stop acting/sounding like a welfare case because it makes the rest of us really bad.

107. HD Cashier & Veteran says:

av, if the item is on sale, we still give the discount. but if the item is on clearance, we cannot. you are correct in the 'double' discount part in that: if you have a "10% off your entire purchase coupon", the computer will not allow us to also give the 10% veteran/military discount.

108. Papasenf says:

My experience is that Lowes will offer the 10% military in addition to a sale price reduction, but HD will not give both one a single purchase.

109. Sandra Ellison says:

Dear Sir…What does this mean " if there is a sale or other they don't have to give additional" Is this up to each store ? I shopped today and there was a sale and they did not give any military discount on the sale items..even when I showed my ID, I don't understand ….in the past they have….and the 50% and 70% they said, "you don't get any Military discount on these sales"
    ….Please
    Help me to confirm this please. Thank you for your time Sandy

110. Dennis M says:

One thing you do not understand is that all military persons are a cohesive unit. it does not matter if they are using a typewritter or a weapon.

If you are injured for getting a paper cut and you get a VA disability for it then good for you. You obviously do not understand what you have to give to serve for our country. All members of the Armed Forces are Heroes period. They all served our country in one way or another. You should be ashamed of yourself. Veterans protect your rights to type that garbage you are spewing. Your welcome.

Just for you information I am a 100% Disabled Veteran through combat action.

111. lloyd says:

Well said Dwight, Thank you for your service and be safe my friend, Im a Retired Marine and proud to have served, Im 100% and enjoy the discount they give us and I shop ay Lowells and they ALWAYS thank me for my service, and I thank them for supporting us!!!

112. Henry says:

The problem in our area, was that both Lowes and Home Depot were giving discounts to anyone that showed some form of Military ID. I only served 4 years and was not wounded. Both Lowes and HD gave me discounts for about 6 months. A few weeks ago, the clerk told me I could not get the discount and said I needed something Special on my VA card. Had to go to the front desk to find out all the details. The desk explained the card requirements and told me about the 3 holidays that I would get discounts on. They also explained how their company had a lot of confusion as to who could get the discounts.

3 days of discounts is still a good offer.
    Henry

113. guest says:

Usually those who get mad aren't even veterans. I have heard a couple guys brag about getting military discounts after complaining and they did not serve. Should have called the cops immediately on the punk who threated you.

114. Paul says:

I am very sorry for this guy's attitude. Please know that this particular idiot makes the rest of us look very bad and unappreciative to Lowe's and HD generosity. I really hope that this idiot did not change your overall view of the rest of us. It really bothers me when people feel entitled to what is not theirs. Again, I apologize for discomfort you went through.

115. KateKashman says:

Thank you, Frustrated. I absolutely agree.