2012 Military Retirement Pay Dates

I can’t believe it is almost 2012.  When planning for 2012, don’t forget that the schedule for military retirement pay changed in October.  Instead of being the 1st of the month or the first business day after, it is now the 1st of the month or the business day prior.

For 2012, the military retirement pay days are:

Friday, 30 December 2011

Wednesday, 1 February 2012

Thursday, 1 March 2012

Friday, 30 March 2012

Tuesday, 1 May 2012

Friday, 1 June 2012

Friday, 29 June 2012

Wednesday, 1 August 2012

Friday, 31 August 2012

Monday, 1 October 2012

Thursday, 1 November 2012

Friday, 30 November 2012

Monday, 31 December 2012

If I’ve made any mistakes, or you have any questions, please let me know!  Hope that helps.

About the Author

Kate Horrell
Kate Horrell is a military financial coach, mom of four teens, and Navy spouse. She has a background in taxes and mortgage banking, and a trove of experience helping other military families with their money. Follow her on twitter @realKateHorrell.

35 Comments on "2012 Military Retirement Pay Dates"

1. I would like to know if this increase also includes spouse death benfitte. please let me know. Thank you

2. Do these dates apply to disabled veteran benefit payments as well?

3. when are they going to release BAH rates or release the date they are going to be released? Normally the website has the date they will come out by now; and last year the new figures were released on 12/15. so when are they going to release 2012's?

4. Thanks Kate! I appreciate your time.

5. what about the government shutdown that may happen Friday? If it happens and goes through the 1st will we not get paid? i can't believe this is happening again. i swear they are so incompetent. politicians are freaking idiotic.

6. remember we elect these freaking idiotic politicians.Maybe be we should Reconceder who we elect?

7. Tis the way with the inside the Beltway thinking. You will note, not a one of our elected officials have not gotten a pay raise since forever.

8. Just Great — advancing the Dec 2011 Pay so that it counts as 2011 taxable (13 pay periods this year vice the normal 12) just cost me over $260 in additional federal taxes this year due to a last-minute higher income level (which amounts to a $260 pay cut from my Dec 2011 earnings). My only other income is Social Security. And, no, it doesn't decrease income for CY-2012 because now the Dec earnings will now always be paid in Dec not the previous policy of 2 days later in January.

9. All year long, we've planned our taxes based on a 12-month income, and now some "brain" sabotaged the military retirees with a 13-month income burden — all for political reasons — THE "NEW" AMERICAN WAY — continue to put the screws to military retirees who have lost their guaranteed "free medical for life", (I also lost 6 of my 10 "guaranteed" years to finish my Vietnam era GI bill in 1989, (retired in 1985) right in the middle of pursuing a 4-year degree — never could finish due to the financial burden). Keep burning the military retirees, and remember to continue on never asking us first — we quit counting to this country a very long time ago, and it just continues to get worse — what's next on this administration's agenda – basic pay cuts for retirees?

10. R.D.McDowell | December 14, 2011 at 8:41 pm |

Remember that 30Dec2011 payday makes 13 paydays in 2011 and the increased tax liability come 15 Apr 2012.

11. Bank may receive pay ont these new dates but will not credit the account till 2 Jan thats what happened in Oct with my crsc pay. Va pay has not changed

12. I am sure that by now everyone is aware that that all military retirees will suffer an 11% tax increase on their 2011 income tax bill for their retired pay as a result of the DFAS change in the pay schedule. This is the largest tax increase inflicted on any group of taxpayers over the last ten years.It will result in a tax windfall to the U.S. Treasury 0f roughly a billion dollars by creating the fiction that the military retiree benefitted from thrteen months pay in 2011. I complained about this absurd administrative fiasco to the MOAA in late October and was told that it was an item on their legislative agenda. I would like to know who was responsible for initiating this theft from the military retirees pay.No cvil service union would have allowed something like this to have even been considered.

13. Just finished looking at the above posted pay Schedule–Am I missing something here? It was my understanding that we got December's pay on 31 Dec(always paid the end of the month) but deposited on 2 Jan. But the new schedule shows no payment for January 0f 2012. Is this true? If so, we just lost ONE whole month's payment. Can some one clear this up,

14. Shifting the Jan 2012 pay to 30 Dec 2011 cost me dearly. Not only did it put me in a higher tax bracket it also shifted additional Social Security income into the taxable window. My 2011 tax liability increased over 33% without any long term changes in income. That is over $500 dollars out of pocket after the additional 30 Dec withholding, an amount that I can ill afford since my only income is retirement and SS. I think this administrations mantra of "Tax The Rich" just became "Gouge Senior Citizens On Fixed Income"

15. Is 30 Dec 2011 the day Dec 2011 & Jan 2012 will be paid?

16. When your bank posts the payment is irrelevant. Your 1099-R for 2011 will reflect the extra pay. But, Jan1, 2013 is a tues, so, you will only have 11 paydays in 2012.
    Regarding politicians: Kickbacks, favors from fellow politicians, guaranteed pension after one month, etc.
    I say, clean house. Get rid of every politician you don't feel is truly great. Republican, Democrat, forget it. Vote for the other side, or an independent, if necessary. Let's get rid of all the good old boys & get a whole new congress, President, etc. They do what they do either because it fills their pockets, or they think they can't (read won't) buck the system. LET'S GET RID OF THE SYSTEM. I vote Republican. If a Democrat outside the Congress is all I have to vote for, I will. Democrats need to do the same. Both parties are pathetic. Let's send a message that to get re-elected from now on, they better think voter first. Ray Willis

17. Air Force Retired | December 15, 2011 at 5:44 pm |

It's time to get rid of the "old boy network", kick-um all out this election inclucing the worst of um all Obama!!!

18. BOHICA

19. When will the congressional act of 1972 be rescinded,, It is not fair I am paying a cheating spouse 50% of my military retirement,,, I was told this is being changed…

20. I served in the Air force from 97-01. I was recently awarded 100 percent disability from the VA because I was diagnosed with MS. So, I am 100 percent, service connected disabled and I was wondering if I qualified for back pay from when the time I was seperated from the military? I was told that I should have been "back paid" from the year I seperated? Does anyone have info on this? I would deeply appreciate it… :)

21. Is there any way that we can arrange to have our Cost of Living Income increase donated to the government until we get out of this recession? Helping those families who are out of work is more important to me that getting that small amount, which I do not need at this time.

22. The government is reducing the amount of social security tax taken from the wages of employees. Employee's may like this as it gives them a fatter pay check. However, the employer is required to match the amount take for S.S. from your pay! So, the employer will also be paying less into the employees' account. Such practices will not help to insure that the system will be healthy when the employees are ready to retire.
    S.S. is the best investment that an employee can make. As soon as the employee's part is take from his pay, the employer must match it 100%, before the ink is even dry on the employee's paycheck! Where else can anyone get an immediate return of 100% on his investment instantaneously? When this Recession hit us, many investor's lost everything in their retirement accounts! But our S.S. must be paid to us as we paid into it as insurance, and the courts must uphold it! It was paid in under the Federal Insurance Contribution Act (FICA). If necessary at the time, the government will just have to raise the taxes of others working at the time the money is needed or just print more money).

23. You young folks do not remember when they moved the payments back to save the cost of one month's pay until the next year. Now folks are unhappy because we get paid sooner.

24. question, when do we get the COLA.. Is it paid in the rear or will we get it Dec 30th also? because on our E-ras it doesn't show cola for Dec 30 Pay check..

25. Why did we have 12 paydays in 2010 and 13 in 2011 and also 13 in 2012?

26. maria cantrell | January 25, 2012 at 10:33 am |

I am confuse about the 13 payment. Should i have 13 payment in 2011? because i cant not find the 13th payment in my bank deposits.

27. How much did retirement pay for 2012 increase? And when will it reflect into our checks?

28. I guess we are paying for the 2% reduction in social security taxes for the working people and there employers

29. Good Evening i was medically retired on Feb 29, 2012, i was wondering should i have received my first "retired" paycheck on March 01? Also i was discharged at 50% disability DOD. For pay wise do i receive BAH along with my dod disability rating? I am very confused on this..

30. Just finished working on income taxes (always owe a little so wait till the last minute). Wow someone added an extra retiree pay check into the 2011 period. Now I owe an extra $927 in taxes over last year for a total of $1738, Almost a 50% increase!. I would gladly awaited for the 30 Dec to come on the programmed January payday but I wasn't given the option Looks like the liberal US Government figured out another way to soak the middle class. They don't need to worry about the $250,000 a year or over income bracket, they have us!!

31. samuel kleinman | April 13, 2012 at 1:44 am |

Anybody called their congressmen yet? Their not getting the message. No one is calling mine but me.

32. what becomes of the FICA taxes we pay?
    I'm filing for disability thru the ssa and they claim I have only paid FICA thru my current employment. I pay FICA taxes according to the 1099R, but social security doesn't recognize FICA from the 1099R??. SSA said for me to follow up with the military pension reps. to solve the issue.

33. My spouse retired 1 July 2012. He says he was told by DFAS we will not receive any pay until 1 August, which just increases our financial burden due to our loss of part of his income due to loss of BAH, etc. Will he get paid for July and for the first part of August on the Aug 1 paydate, or will we never see pay for July? If we are not paid for July, is he eligible for unemployment that month? We have creditors, of course…

34. Ernest Hutchins | October 8, 2012 at 9:52 pm |

Where can I go or call to rec'd my 2011, 1099R to continue my taxes, My accountant says I need this & I don't recall ever recieving the 1099R.
    Please e-mail me,
    Ernest F. Hutchins

35. Guy W. Davis | December 29, 2014 at 7:46 pm |

Can not locate a Military Retired Pay Chart. Please advise where I can locate one. Thanks

Comments are closed.