DFAS To Begin Monthly Retirement Pay Statements

October 16, 2011 | Kate Horrell

Effective 1 November 2011, retired military members who draw a monthly payment will be able to access a retirement pay statement via their online MyPay accounts.  Previously, retired military members only received statements when there was a change to their account.

Don’t have a MyPay account to access your account online?  It is easy to sign up and it will make your life a lot easier.

UPDATE 2 November 2011:  These statements are available online only.  They will not be mailed to your house.  You do not need to access them if you do not have a need.  This is a no-cost benefit that will help some retirees.

Comments

1. Patricia says:

TriCare for life cost in 2012??

2. Glenn Chaffee says:

I have not used MyPay since I retired from the Reserves in 2006, I need to figure out my login ID and password can you assist me?

3. Fred says:

I check MyPay at least three times a month just to make sure things are correct. I also check DEERS and the rest of my Military things three times a month. It is just for security and make sure that nothing has changed. By doing this if something has changed that should not have I have time to call and correct it. Always better to check something before it is to late to do anything about it.

4. Ken says:

I log into mine once a year… Why do we need this every month? Never had it since I retired over 19 years ago and dont need it now.

• Tom F says:

I agree with Ken. My once a year statement is good for 12 months. If there should be a change during the year, they update the statement and inform me of the change. After 14 years of retirement bliss, I can think of only two times when there was a change in pay, and that was for withholding Federal Taxes. Please don't waste time (i.e. money) on useless statements.

5. james says:

I use mines only about twice a month

6. Jerry says:

This seems like a complete waste of money just when the government is trying to cut "WASTE". I access this site maybe twice a year.

7. Al Eucare says:

Enter text right here! Thanks for the information. I do not know one could access the system so easily.

8. J. Black says:

I'm good with just one statment whenever any change been made to my pay. Retired in 99 and MyPay has been great. See no need for monthly statement. Why waste money on paper when we already have a system this is working, they should include that wasted spending into my retirement pay cause I could use it for better things.

• JustFacts says:

Jack – There is no paper involved in this. This online MyPay info. Someone just did a software change to allow you to see what has always been happening to you account.

9. Massey RJ says:

I wish I had the money they spend on paper, all I need is the les when they make a change. Good enough for me.

10. Dennis says:

You should check your RAS monthly for changes. If something changes (authorized or not) it can be addressed pronto.

• Jim says:

If you see a difference in your pay, that should tell you something. I look at mine once a year and thats at the end…

11. Dick says:

I have never logged into my account. i don't have occasion to do so, so the password is never remembered. I have trouble remembering my first name, much pess a password that is used once a year

12. Barbara Parker says:

I think this is a waste, I access my pay account maybe once or twice a year and if their are any changes they send out a paper copy anyway, at least they use to.

13. Larry says:

Once a month RAS is overkill. I only have need to access Mypay about once every 3 months. Now if DFAS is not sending a hard copy RAS out, then only finding it on line will be ok. I really do not need a hard copy.

14. duder says:

I'd recommend EVERYONE go into the MyPay website and see what you can accomplish on there, changes, updates, info, etc. It's a site we all need to be aware of. If you chose not to use it, so be it. I'ts been very helpful to me!!

15. devildog9 says:

Everyone is up in arms about a monthly statement. It is digital, they are not sending it to you monthly. If you want to access your stement yearly, that's fine. If you want to access your stement monthly that is also fine. If you need to have monthly copy then you can print it out. Just as you do with your annual 1099R.

16. Marvin Ketterer says:

I have never used MYPAY since I retired and do not have the signup procedures. Will you forward this info to me. MKK

17. earl brady says:

i need a new id number and password

18. KateKashman says:

Mr. Brady, you will need to contact DFAS to get a new ID number and password. They can be contacted at 1-800-321-1080 or on the web at http://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary.html. I hope that helps.

19. Semper Fi 97 says:

I check my pay about every other month. I have had problems that have been corrected and one that has not. My father retired from the Army (66) and I retired from the Marine Corps (97) . My mother passes and DEFAS stopped his SBP, sent me a letter several months later and apologized for the passing of my wife and gave me back the SBP from the time of my mother’s death. I contacted DEFAS and told them that my wife has not passed and found that they confused my mother’s death as my wife. My Dad and I share the same first and last name but different middle names, different SSN and different service numbers, don't knw how they could have don this. Dad was Army and I retierd from the Marine Corps. This took twenty months to straighten out the pay. Now that they have listed my wife as diseased in their computer my wife’s DOB shows up as the date we were married on my LES, which they have yet to fix. Makes me look like an old guy that robbed the cradle. Check you pay statement often, catch problems before they get out of hand.

20. Michael White says:

This change is for the better. We can now take charge of our accounts and ensure things are correct. To correct another poster, this is not a waste, it incurs no cost to allow monthly viewing. It a member wants a printout, that burden is on them and their resources. Since changed take so long to correct, early detection is a valuable asset.

I will resume viewing my RAS account twice a month.

21. Jim Tomor says:

I don't access my account very often, but I do not see any harm in updating the account monthly. It is there if you want to check it. It doesn't cost any more and you can print out a statement, if you want. I retired in 1993 and DFAS has been great!!

22. Royd Miller says:

I can't even remember my password!

23. Bill J. says:

To join MyPay, the first thing they want is your SSAN. The article just above the request from Mil.Com, The Army says "DO NOT put you SSAN on ANY site on the computer, especially because DFAS and My Pay has been hacked twice this year alone. So what do you do to sign up and protect your vital info???

24. Paul Garrett says:

Paul Garrett
    I only need a statement when some change is made. Once a month is a
    not needed. A complete waste of time, paper and personal time. Make it simple most of us are quite able to keep up with our retirement account with no trouble. Dont complicate it.

25. Je Graham says:

I try about once a year to log in and always receive a jumble of confusing instructions culminating with " We will email you a new/ temporary password which some times work". This system is designed is experts and it just confuses the senior citizen Just continue to mail it too me as things change and charge me the postage fee!

26. Del Abercrombie says:

The powers that be think a monthly whatever will take our minds off the Tricare s______g retirees are getting. Nobody needs a monthly retiree pay statement. Wake up Washington .

27. Gary G. Blankenship says:

I'm glad they finally decided to give us "over the hill crowd" a more frequent update on what we're getting. It isn't effecting the ones that don't want to read a monthly LES, but does give those that want to know what they're getting current iformation without having to jump through hoops to get it.

28. Sharon S. says:

I think it is great. I like to keep track of my pay and tax withholding. I also retired from civil service – wish they had monthly pay statements.

29. m. cameron says:

IS DFAS subsidizing the Post Office??? Really Unecessary

30. Mike Underwood says:

I fretired in 1986 and have never been on the site. In all the years, I have never had a challenge with any of my information. Everything runs like clock work. Best system in the world in my book.

31. John says:

The Military is trying to cut cost so why add cost by printing and sending. To me keep the paper and postage just raise our pay. Active duty a different storytheirs is more apt to change.

32. nick says:

hello, very nice post ..really very like it thanks for sharing
    flip books

33. emoryv67 says:

Once a year is good enough for me. I get copies fo do my taxes for the year. You can check every month from you bank statement if every thing is correct.

34. USAFRETIREE says:

I'm glad you all are getting a monthly eRAS. I retired 5 months ago and the first 4 months I could see the monthly statements in MyPay and now I don't see any of them.

35. jenny says:
  36. Al O says:

Occasionally, there are offsets from VA or COLAs OR even as well as law changes that cause more tax to be taken (As when the Bush tax cuts expired). Anytime you receive payments from "Uncle" you really need to Print and keep a paper file, if nothing else as proof of amounts and any tax free benefits. Getting a loan? paper copies are proof on income.

37. Retired says:

I have been accessing MyPay since retirement in 2008. I get on it when a new RAS comes out to safe it on my computer.

38. jm57gm says:

Ditto…right on the money.