Military and Veterans Discounts and Identification

August 23, 2011 | Kate Horrell

It seems there is a lot of confusion about various military and veterans discounts, and the identification that will or will not qualify you for the discounts.  I’m no expert on this subject, but I’ll tell you what I do know.  First, there is no “veterans discount card.”  There are a variety of different forms of ID, including a military identification card for active duty, National Guard, reserve, retiree and family members.  If you are eligible for care from the Department of  Veterans Affairs (VA), you will receive a Veteran Identification Card (VIC).  A VIC may be noted to indicate that the eligibility is service connect, that the bearer has received a Purple Heart, or that the bearer is a former POW.  There are also membership cards issued by various veteran’s groups, including the American Legion and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.  Many people use their DD214 for identification.  I’ve even discovered a few shady companies that are selling cards that are designed to look official, but are just the design of that company and a way for them to make a buck off of a veteran.

None of these identifications automatically entitle you to any discounts or privileges.  Each individual business determines its own criteria for offering a discount, and each individual business determines to whom it is going to offer a discount.  Some generous companies offer discounts to all military and veterans, and other require that you fit into a certain category in order to receive a discount.  It never hurts to ask, but remember – these companies do not have to offer a discount, and if everyone complains about it, they’ll probably stop!

If anyone else has other useful information to add in the comments, please do.  We can all learn together.

Comments

1. Bob Wilcox says:

Does Menards (a mid-west home improvement chain) have a corporate policy about givng a military discount? I have received a dicount at one store but not at others.

• Tim Padmore says:

You must ask the cashier every time.

• Coinman says:

I live near Offutt AFB, and the policy was no. I sent in a comment card and letting them know that Home Depot and Lowes gives 10 pe cent by showing your ID card, Active or Retired. Memards eply that they would send it up to higher individuals and let them make a ruling on it. They told me their prices were already lowest, yet Lowes will match and give 10 per cent.

• Wendy says:

Lowes in Fayetteville and Greenville NC both give discounts. Verizon wireless gives discounts also.

• Guest says:

None of the Menards stores in Nebrasaka do. Can only get the discount at Home Depot and Lowe's

• James Sollars says:

Bob,
      I emailed Menards corporate today to ask about our local Menard's in reference to military discounts. Some joker named Ray emailed me back and said the company does not DISCRIMINATE. They offer the "same low discounts to all without regard to race, creed or occupation." Too bad for them. They are about half the price on insulation which I need, however, I will be paying more elsewhere. I don't expect a discount for being a military member, but I recognize very little regard for our members by certain people.
      I will no longer shop there.

• James Torchwood says:

Stop being greedy, I proudly served 15 + years and dont cry because I dont get a discount. The discount used to mean something but now everyone seems to be of a "Military status". Its like a cop, first responder and others asking for a discount.
        Get over it

• Dennis says:
    • Guest says:

They used to give 10% any day…now it has been changed to 2 times a year only…veterans day and memorial day…

• Sue says:

I asked Menard's just recently about discounts and they told me that they could only give us discounts on Memorial Day sales. Lowe's on the other hand offer discounts at all times – they get my business and the clerk automatically thanks you for your service to the country.

• Retired says:

I just retired and went to work at Menards part time. They do not give military discounts and they only give an employee discount when it comes directly out of your pay. I will stick with Lowes, because they have always given military discount.

• Will Rodgers says:

I was in Home Depot last week and received the 10% discount which I have gotten since being disabled and at the Va Hospital in Miami. Yesterday I went into a new Home Depot and the girl refused my ID. She said it had to be red White and Blue. I went to the VA hospital this morning, and they said they were not issuing new replacement cards until they heard more from the Administration. I suspect this has something to do with the failed Obamacare

2. NorCal Hal says:

Lowes and Home Depot give people with a current military identification card a 10% discount on all purchases.

• USMCvet says:

Lowes only gives discounts on fathers day and veterans day. thats what they told me. Home depot will give a discount everytime you go there

• Randy says:

Lowes gives 10% discounts everday for active and retired members. Have been doing it here in SC for the past 3 years.

• CWO3 USN RET says:

Same with the local LOWE's I use in Jacksonville fl. Just like the old days I show my retired ID and they have never questioned it and have always given me a 10% discount even on sale items.

• Frank Grahm says:

Here in Waco, Tx. Lowe's offers a 10% discount to me as a retiree when ever I shop.
        SFSGM

• Shannon says:

I recently left my employment with lowes after 7 years to take care of our 3 kids while my husband is deployed. Lowes policy states that if you have a military id reserve, active, or retired you may receive 10% off your purchase any time of year. The catch is this is not advertised and they stress the employees not to advertise it. You must request the 10% military discount before swiping your card at checkout and present your military id. If they say this is not offered demand they pull their policy and procedure on military discounts. I do not recall the policy # or you can contact corporate to ensure the front end has adequate training on the matter.

• Jennifer says:

Lowes also gives that discount to dependants, I use mine all the time. My husband is retired so I still have my ID card and use it not only at Lowes, but also Home depot and Ace Hardware (although Ace only gives 5%).

• Retired USAF says:

Lowes in South Carolina gives active and retired 10% off anytime. At least they do in Aiken and Columbia area stores. Home Depot also does in Aiken. I can't say about any of the other surrounding area Home Depot stores.

• Robert Haelle AMSC says:

Not true. They give discounts every day. Tell them you will have to take your business to Home Depot and see how fast they change their tone. I have done that at Lowes and Home Depot and they both said they will give me the discount.

• NJ Navy Chief says:

You are incorrect. Lowes has always given a military discount. It was just recently that Home Deport started giving military discount everyday.

• Melinda says:

This is wrong I have been to two different Lowes and they insist they only give it a couple times a year. (10 miles away Lowes does give it though.) When I offered to take my business to the other store they said fine they didn't give it. I gave them a cart full with about $400 of merchandise.

• PS1 RETIRED says:

Lowes in TN, TX, FL, CA and MN all give the 10% discount everyday of the week, every week of the year to Active Duty and Retirees.

• Richard Bogue says:

You can also use your VIC for the 10% of

• HELLEY says:

i found out about LOWES DISCOUNT OF 10 PERCENT AFTER I BOUGHT $60,000 WORTH OF MATERIALS AND LOST MY HOME CAUSE COULDNT PAY MORTGAGE OR GET REFINANCED FOR ONE OF CHEAPER RATES. I PAID CASH WHEN MOVED IN AND OWED $130,000 WHEN LOST IT. INSURANCE WAS $1600 YEAR ANS PAYMENTS 1100 MONTH. NOW I RENT

• Jim says:

how do you get a military identification card (for Lowe's) I served in the Navy and was discharged June 23, 1963. I have my DD214 and my Honorable Discharge certificate.

• R Lindsey says:

You don't, the ID card is for those wiith "current" military privliges, not all who served.

• Russ says:

Lowes, in Indiana, has 'special' veteran discounts aperiodically. LIke Veterans days and some others, but you have to show some kind of proof you are a Veteran Discharge certificate or the like. Your county VA rep should be able to help you get something if you don't have anything showing your are a veteran.

• James says:

I'm never asked to show my ID all I say is I want the discount and they never question me.

• Retired USAF says:

Jim, you either have to be active duty or retired from what I was told. Sorry.

• USAF-Vet says:

Lowes and Home Depot also recognize the Veteran Identification Card (VIC) as well

• MSGBLAIR says:

The Home Depot in Wylie, TX told me that they can no longer give military/veteran discounts except on certain holidays. The Home Depot in Greenville, TX gives the discount any time.

• Thomas says:

Lowes also will give Retired Military a 10% discount. I also found out that when you take your car into Ford for repairs they will give Retired Military a 10% discount (I also think they do that for all Militay Personnel ). It is Nice to see that SOME Companies do appreciate What Military Personnel and their Families do for this GREAT COUNTRY.
      Who know's when we will receive a Pay Raise AGAIN?????

• PS1 RETIRED says:

I went shopping at the Tangers Outlet in Alabama a couple of months ago, several stores in this outlet mall took my retiree militay id card, Levi's, Jockey, Skechers, Sports Authority there were a few more too I don't remember the names of them all.

• Ken Bucy says:

The Home Depots in the Phoenix area only give military discounts on Memorial Day and Veteran's Day. Lowe's give discounts year 'round. I quit shopping at Home Depot.

• David Harnett says:

Lowes also gives a 10% discount to disabled vet with VA id card

• Maryanne says:

Lowe's in Lancaster, OH does not provide this. Manager states that it's accepted on certain days and with only a state consult veteran id.

• James Sullivan says:

do they do the same of discharged military – they say you have to have a valid military i.d. card with a picture on it. Do you know where you can get this?

3. Movie Lover :) says:

Harkins Movie Theaters (Southwest) does offer military discount, however AMC does not.

4. USMCvet says:

Foot locker gives 20% discount to military and veterans with id

5. Bob Mack says:

"Home Depot" stores in the New York City are gives all active duty or
    retired military veterans at ten percent (10%) discount on all purchases.
    I have been there many times (Posted Thursday August 25, 2011)
    Bob Mack.

• Joe D says:

HD used to offer 10% to all veterans, but in May pulled that back to only if you show a "disabled" VIC card.
      Lowes gives me 10% off every time I show my VIC.

• Chris Burton says:

In general, Home Depot policy is to restrict other than active duty (retired) to 4th of July and Memorial days. It's best just to whip out the card and ask for the "Military" discount. The wife accompanied me last month to our local store and blathers out "Retired Military" and we get nothing!

6. Retired Navy says:

It is all about asking each and every time you visit somewhere or go out to eat, in order to get the discount. I was just in Ryan's Restaurant the other night and the manager gave me 15% off my entire ticket. I probably get some type of military discount at over 85% of the businesses I frequent.

• susie says:

We went to Ryan's now Fire Mountain, and the manager said they don't even give a discount on Veteran's Day. He acted like we were scum b/c we ask if they give a military discount. We don't frequent there too often anymore.

7. N. Clark says:

Lowe's gives you a discount everytime you check out, all you have to do is show your ID card.

8. Jon Walker says:

Lowes and Home Depot both give 10% to any vet or person with an ID (active and reserve). Additionally in Pensacola I got an additional 10% (double dip) from Home Depot on Memorial and Veterans day – but, I did have to ask and used a bit of cajoling to make it happen. Used the sales person to effect one 10% discount and a manager at the checkout desk to get an additional one. Worth a try on large appliances especially.

Retired USN

• Retired USN 2 says:

Yes, you got over on the big company this time. All Lowes and possibly Home Depot stores will give the veterans their 10 % military discount, but the store policy at Lowes is only one 10 % discount per purchase. Guys like you are the causes that some businesses cancel their policies to the veterans. Except your 10 % and feel great about it.

• ingepi says:

I'm a Vietnam veteran. What kind of ID card are your referring to. I don't have one.

• Bob says:

Not any more. Home dept nw has limitations, staying with lowes.

9. Retired USAF says:

Lowe's gives me a discount every time. All I do is show my ID card

10. Paul says:

Paul If you are 100% Permanent and total you can get a ID military

• kalvin harris says:

where can i get military for 100%

• JIM says:

IF YOU SERVED 8 YEARS DURING THE VIET NAM YEARS AND ARE A SERVICE CONNECTED DISABLED VETERAN YOU DO NOT HAVE A MILITARY ID.

WHAT ABOUT US WHO DID SERVE???

• keeping it real says:

Any person who served in military can get an I.D. card . If u r service connected disabled, u can have your I.D. created right at the V.A. hospital. At least I was able to. I live in upstate N.Y. when I say upstate, I mean way upstate! I’m on Canandian border. I currently go to Syracuse N.Y. V.A. hospital. As I said, anybody who served(mind u have a honorable discharge) should be able to obtain a military I.D. my best advice is for you to contact your nearest V.A. rep. & inquire about it. That’s all

• PS1 RETIRED says:

JIM, just because because you "served" doesn't make you a retiree. It only makes you a vet, and not all vets get military id cards. You are confused on what you are, know the difference between VET and RETIREE.

11. sherman says:

APPLE GIVES A GOOD DISCOUNT TO ALL ACTIVE OR RETIRED MILITARY. AT&T ALSO GIVES A GOOD DISCOUNT TO ALL MILITARY PERSONNEL AS WELL AS STATE EMPLOYEES. SHOW MILITARY ID CARD AND ASK FOR IT !!!

12. Dale Olmstead says:

This past March 2011, VA gave me 100% total-permenant-service connected disability for PTSD from 9 Dec 1963 Sasebo, Japan.
    Where do I get ID Military Card?

• Do you get a military ID Card? You get a VA card from the nearest VA Clinic/Hospital, and probably available at a VA processing center. Check the VA web site (VA.gov I think).

• MGrimm says:

Did you ask at the VA? I lost my wallet once and got a new "Retired" Military ID card from the closest Air Force Base.

• Rebecca says:

you can get it at any military installation. You just need your DD214 and your paperwork stating you are 100% disabled, and I think 2 other forms of ID. That's how I got mine.

• Rebecca says:

Sorry, Mr. Olmstead, to clarify you get a DOD card that states you have MWR, Commissary and Exchange privileges (for this card you just go to the ID card section on a military installation). You also get a separate ID card from the VA.

• Dennis says:
    • Bob AMSC Retired says:

Go to any military installation and show them your 100% letter and they will give your an ID card.

• Fyi says:

Could you provide your Email contact to Fyi_iShop@yahoo.com…I wish to spk to you re: VA Comp + how you were able to go back to FY 1963. I am a 100% Disabled Military Vet – Discharged for "Service Acquired-In-The-Line-of-Duty Injuries" – to Incd: PTSD released in FY-1979…+ have "YET" – even w/ DD-214 documentation + going thru DAV – been able to receive "ANY" VA Comp !
      Pls Email me ASAP w/ contact info- !
      "Thank You" (+ others) for Un-Selfishly "Giving" of your time + life for the Military Service of the USA ! Respectfully, Fyi

• bigblocksglass says:

Go to the VAMC. They will issue you a Vet Card stating that you are Service Connected.

• padre bill says:

Any military installation
      also Corps of Engineers

• PS1 RETIRED says:

You get a VA card, which is not the same thing as a "Military ID Card".

13. DONNIE says:

COHOON
    OUR LOWE'S STORE IN MURRAY KY GIVE'S A 10% MILITARY DISCOUNT 7 DAY'S A WEEK.YOU HAVE TO SHOW YOUR MILITARY
    ID CARD.THEY ARE THE ONLY STORE IN MURRAY THAT I KNOW
    THAT DOES.

14. Lowes said they would rather look at my VA ID card than the USAF Retired ID Card, because, with the nearest base 110 miles away, they are more used to seeing the VA cards.

15. Lowes in Redding, CA

16. Rebecca says:

Did you know you can get a Department of Defense card if you are a 100% disabled veteran?? This is true!! You have MWR, Commissary and Exchange privileges. I found this out after many years of being 100% disabled veteran. This information was in the VA booklet. There are so many benefits that we have, that nobody tells us about!! Check online or ask someone so you can find out what benefits you have!! Also different states offer different benefits, it's worth it to check it out! http://www.va.gov/

• gonavy says:

your at the website you need already—go to military.com/benefits/veterans-benefits/state-veterans-benefits-directory and you will get a list by the state you live in. Go to your VA and get the form for the ID Cards. When I received my 100% service connected, living in OK, I get cheap car tags (2), don't pay prop tax, pay no excise tax on a new vehicle (1 time per 3 years) and BEST OF ALL–I have a tax exempt card for state and local sales tax—you get a tax exempt card—talk about a discount!!! EVERY STATE IS DIFFERENT, AND OKLAHOMA IS THE BEST. OK VETS, GET TO THE VA AND GET WHAT YOU HAVE EARNED!!! EVERY VET–CHECK IT OUT.

17. Jim says:

In Texas, if you are a Disable Vet and drawing 100% pay, you don’t pay any School and Prop. Tax.

• McHaffey says:

What is the form number and where can I find the form?
      I have heard that Arkansas offers the same but can not find the form. I have searched high and low.

• MSGBlair says:

I took my VA papers stating my 100% VA disability and filled out the papers at the Collin County Appraisal Office. Texas disabled veterans are also eligible for a disabled veteran license plate that costs $3.00 per year to renew.

• Greg says:

In Oklahoma 100% VA Disabled don't pay Property tax onhome, get a sales tax exempt card, and a 75%(Formula varies) retirement pay exemption on state income tax.

• Barnett says:

In California you need to contact the county assessor who gives you the requirements & forms to apply.

• Scott says:

I live in El Paso, Tx and am 80% VA disabled. I get a discount on my property taxes (amount depends on %), All my vehicles (3x) have DV plates. My primary vehicle only costs $3 to register, the others are full price. I don’t have to pay at city metered parking, or at the airport, or city owned forums (civic center, or parks, etc). Lowe’s gives a 10% discount as long as you show some form of military/VA ID, and they have always said “Thank you for your service”. Texas also has the Texas Veterans Commission to help vet’s in many ways and then there’s the Texas Land Board to get good APR on any land purchase in Texas. It’s good to be a Vet in the great state of Texas.

• Pete says:

The Same is true in all of California At least in Kern County

• CARA says:

does anyone know if you get free dental as well?

18. Renee says:

For those of you with kids (and those still young enough to shop there) Aeropostale gives a 10% discount with military ID.

19. Angela says:

Spencer's gives a 10% military discount, as long as you show ID. My husband is in the Reserves and he's gotten the discount before.

• Diana Sennet-Fenn says:

What is Spencer's I am in Charlotte NC

• PS1 RETIRED says:

Have you tired asking them? Good grief, some of you folks want others to tell you what you can get – use your mouth and ask the business' for yourselves!

20. D. Roberts says:

AF Retired-100 total DAV
    Don't forget the senior discount at some stores, including fast food places at some, but not all. You have to ask and show ID. Mickey D's for one will not. Some stores only on softdrinks.
    I've even got the Mil discount on Lowe's 10% sale items, which equals 20% off. You have to talk to the store manager to get the override.
    The key words are-ASK and TELL. They, store will not volunteer the info.

21. Hans says:

USAF(ret).
    See http://www.bradsdeals.com/blog/2011/06/28/stores-with-se...
    Not just for military, but for Seniors, as young as 50, but mostly for 55+

• CAPT AUGUST says:

IN FLORIDA THERE IS ZERO PROPTERY TAXES IF YOU SERVICE CONNECTED AND GREATER THAN 50% DISABLED JUST SHOW YOUR VA LETTER. ALSO YOU PAY TAXES ON CELL PHONES, HOME PHONES CABLE TV WATER ELECTRIC ETC ALL OF THESE ARE TAX FREE IF YOU SEND THEM THE TAX EXEMPT FORM AND PUT DWON THAT YOU'RE A GREATER THAN 50% DISABLED VETERAN AND HAVE VA ID CARD WHIHC SHOWS YOUR RATING. ALSO MANY MANY COMPANIES GIVE DISCOUNTS IF YOU JUST ASK, BEST BUY, SEARS, WALMART, ETC THEY ALL GIVE DISCOUNTS OF SOME KIND TO VETERANS AND ACTIVE DUTY AND RETIRED. I KNOW I AM 100% VA PERMT AND TOTAL, AND RETIRED USMC AND I ALWAYS ASK FOR AND RECIVE A DISCOUNT AND NEVER PAY ANY TAXES TO ANY SERVICES THAT COME INTO MY HOME!

• Karen says:

How awesome! I'm 100%, live in Oregon, and get only a 35% discount on my home owners' taxes. Some of the other places you mention will give a 5-10% discount, but only if the company is privately owned and the owner wants to….never if it's a national chain.

22. Thomas Ridley says:

Is Help For Veterans.com legal? They offer a non photo ID, which they says is so that you don't have to carry your DD 214. If you want to research it:

Regional Office: P.O. Box 299 South Station
    Fall River, MA
    02724-0299

It is legal in the sense that it isn't violating any laws (that I know.) It doesn't provide any sort of official veterans identification. The only officially recognized veterans ID cards are issued by the VA or the DOD (for 100% disabled veterans.) Will an ID from this company help you get discounts? That depends on each individual business, they way they have written their discount policies, and the way that the employees chose to interpret their policies.

• USAF-VET says:

Legal? Sure… However, they are totally worthless.

• Rhonda says:

Who carries their DD-214?

• Steve says:

In my car all the time!!

• Steve says:

Have the DD214 shrunk to a credit card size (front and back) and laminated by a office supply store, and then carry it in you wallet. However, few stores give veteran's discounts here in SC as opposed to active and retired military..

• PS1 RETIRED says:

Wow! Just don't lose your wallet. Your SSN is on that DD-214 you carry around everywhere, and if it's stolen your SSN can be used to steal your identify. Have you folks never heard of Identify Thieft and how to protect yourself.

• Karen says:

Are they a Veterans Affairs Regional Office? If so, then they, of course, would be legal.

23. Pockets says:

For Ohio and other Giant Eagle states here is a trick… Use your bank card to buy Giant Eagle gift card, Use the gift card to buy from Home Depot, and wait for things on sale. The Bank Card gets you 1, 2, or 4%- the Giant Eagle gift card get you discounts on gas- Home depot gives us 10% discount- and buy when things are on sale for another 10%!

• Diana Sennet-Fenn says:

So I have to buy a gift card and then when they have discount on gas or other sale they will e-mail.

24. Chief says:

Bass Pro Shops will give you a 10% discount with your ID card as well.

25. gunner says:

I have recieved discounts at lowes no problems, I have, so far not used at home depot because lowes is just 5 minutes from home.

26. Patrick says:

I've gotten a 10% military discount at cabela's with ID. In Texas the super combo hunting license is free to active and reserve military, as well as the CHL.

27. Patricia Williams says:

The spouse of a 100% DV is eligible for Tricare Health Insurance, education benefits as well as the children of the Vet. Call or visit your local Veterans affairs office to get all that you are entitiled to.

28. Floyd Perry says:

I can not get an Vet's I D card from the VA Hospital for they say my wife makes to much money. All I wanted was and ID card for Lowes and Home Depot. They tell me they you have to have one with your picture own it.

PS Can anyone help?

perryfloyd1@live.com

• USAF-VET says:

If you are not disabled from military service the VA uses a means test to determine your eligibility. The means test is waived if you are granted a service connected disability.

• PS1 RETIRED says:

Rules are rule Floyd. I am a 20 year retiree that holds a retiree military ID card, I cannot even USE the VA because I got a job after I retired and I make too much money. Wow, who would have thought that a retiree cannot use the VA in all cases, I certainly didn't.

29. Mike Girdler says:

If you live in KY and are over 50%, VA service connected ask for a letter from regional VA office. Submit to KY Fish and Wildlife to acquire a disabled veterans card lets you get a combined yearly hunting and fishing license for only $5.00.

• Rich says:

In Tx if your 50% you can get DV tags for you car for $3.00 and the toll roads here in Houston are free. and get a fishing and hunting license free.

30. Know It All says:

Veterans rated 100% service connected P & T can get a letter from VA and get a MWR military ID card. It is acutally an active military ID card for "100% P & T disabled veterans" and veterans can use it to get discounts on and off post.

31. IGZ says:

Most retail outlets offer active military members and retirees a 10-15% discount off all purchases. Others, such as Sketchers offer a 20% discount. All one needs to show is a valid Active or Retired Military ID Card.

32. Bob says:

ASK and you will usually receive, that is my motto. I know that IHOP will give a 15% discount for those with a military ID and many other restaurants will also, but you have to ask, they will NOT volunteer the info. I was not aware that Cabela's or Bass Pro Shop offered the discount, but will check the next time I visit one.

33. Ernest Burd says:

Stay away from Targets they do not honor veterans or seniors, will not allow bell ringing at Christmas ,but supports the gay movement

• LTC HT says:

This statement is incorrect. Check Snopes.com

• Rhonda Johnstone says:

I never shop at Target and never will. They don't support Toys for Tot's, Salvation Army Angel Tree or Anything that doesn't line their pockets. Target is a French owned company also, not an American owned corporation.

34. Buddy Grantham says:

Effective September 1st, 2011, the State of Texas will put the word "Veteran" on the drivers license of honorably discharged veterans. That way you have a photo ID instead of showing a DD 214 for discounts.

35. shellafn says:

Oklahoma will tag 2 vehicles per year for Veteran for free. You just need to get a form from OKC for tag office to fill out when you get your tags.

36. moonbeamagain says:

DAV offers a 10% discount, except for stuff that is on sale.

37. Sandi says:

To get a military ID, you can go to any military base (call ahead) and bring you DD 214. I get mine in Green Bay Wisconsin at the Navy, Marine Corp reserve center.

38. Kim Brown says:

As of July 12, 2011 the State of Florida also will put the letter V by your picture on your Florida Drivers License. Just show a copy of your DD214. For veterans

39. Kurt says:

i live near waco, tx., i have a VA status of unemployable and am considered 100% disabled. i have found that retailer in one city will honor, or give you a discount if you ask, but the same retailer or store in another close by city will not, even if you ask. it seems to vary from city to city. as stated in a comment previously posted by someone, "you have to ask". some places will discount you and others won't. it never hurts to ask, all they can say is no. you never know the next time you go there, they may say yes!

• Shannon says:

I live in Pa and am in your exact situation. I am payed at 100% and am considered unemployable. So my question is Do you have a picture ID card that gives you access to commissary/px like retired vets and if so do you know where/how I could get one? Thanks.

40. Moose says:

If you qualify as "disabled" by the military(any percentage) or by SSDI, you are eligible for a free lifetime pass to ALL National Parks and Federal Lands. It's called an Interagency Pass that is issued by the US Forest Service.

• Tony says:

is that military or va I am both but most people only have va…I guess I am all 3 with ssdi…lol

• wpt says:

This is true, as long as you a VA ID card or some other proof that you can present each time you go. However, don't quote me, but I'm thinking you might have to a disability rating of 30% or higher.

41. Deb says:

IC Hotel Group, aka Holiday Inn, etc., no longer allows military discount if you are not active duty. check the fine print while making reservations! a few other places still do, but most do not. BEWARE!

42. Frank says:

Home Depot in PA has recently revoked giving military the 10% discount.
    I will take my business to Lowes from now on

43. JOSEPH J ELPS says:

I don't think Lowe's or Home Depot actively promote the 10% discount,This offering is a patriotic gesture and should be posted at each POS (Point of Sale).
    I make it a point to announce my Veteran Status not only for the discount but because I am proud of my service and also that of my two sons,one of which is in the USMC , presently on his 2nd tour in Afghanistan.

• Joe says:

I was once told by a clerk that saw my id and said "is there something you want to ask me?" I was confused until she said I saw you have a military ID is there something you want to ask me. I said, uh do you have a military discount? She said yes 10%, but even if you look like active duty we are not allowed to ask.

44. Jim Parham says:

Lowes in Owensboro Ky. gives 10% off when I present my retirement card,so I always use Lowes.

45. joe says:

46. Jim in South Philly says:

I never knew that Lowe's OR Home Depot offered a military discount at all. As Jennifer said earlier, they do NOT publicize it. I also learned a few years ago that Pep Boys also offers a 10% discount to all active duty and retirees, but what I just learned as recently as last week, they apparently chaged their corporate policy and only offer this discount on tuesday, wednesday, & thursday. I was not happy when they told me this, but as I read in this article, I didn't argue the point, it was only a few dollars and if any of us eligibles compalin, they could discontinue the entire program and we won't get anything from them.

• Tony says:

Arby's in Va gave me 10% wendy's in AL use to give me 10% and if you like majic quest at the great wolf lodge, but can't grasp the price of the lodge they give a 30% discount to active and retired probably disabled with proff.

47. Suzanne says:

Old Navy gives a 10% discount to active or retired ID holders on Tuesdays.

48. Arthur Johns says:

In South Carolina Lowe's and Home Depot give veterans a 10% discount. Show your military ID card.

49. Joe Parsons says:

Denny’s gives 20% w/military ID everytime just ask…

• Tony says:

So does IHOP, the manger will give you a card PLUS after so many visits you get an entree free

50. Tommy says:

I make a lot of purchases online and I always email before I buy to see if veterans discounts are available. If they tell me no than I usually don't purchase from them. During some recent firearm purchases I found several companies that off some very substantial discounts to veteran. One such company in Fort Worth offers discounts up to 25%. Guess where I am going to send my money!

• CAPT. JIM says:

HI TOMMY,
      I WANTED TO TELL YOU THAT UNFORTUNATELY YOUR INFORMATION HAS LITTLE OR NO VALUE TO YOUR FELLOW VETS (AS IT IS WRITTEN). AN OVERSITE I AM SURE!

IF YOU FAIL TO NAME THE COMPANIES BY NAME. JUST TELLING US ("ONE SUCH COMPANY IN FORT WORTH"), IS A "NO GO", IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN? PLEASE NAME THE COMPANY WITH THE 25% DISCOUNT!

CAPT. JIM
      US ARMY & USAF VET.

• Tony says:

Puff, Puff give

51. sam north of Philly says:

Not to be a party pooper, but just to clearify, is asking or accepting these options "using official position for personnal gain"? Just asking because Sears did a program years ago for families of deployed service members, and Sears was asked to discontinue the program because of this.
    Not wanting to stir a hornets nest just asking for clearification.

52. Coinman says:

I wrote to Menards corporation and ask why no discount while the Lowes and Home Depots have always given me one. The store was located within 2 miles of Offutrt AFB. The store offer me a comment card and i use that to register a comment about giving discounts and why not. My reply was that they would run it up the flag pole and see what they if they could. My answer was not what I expected because no reason was given. I only go to lowes and home Depot now and I have save alot, the taxes here 7.5%. That discount pays the taxes and leaves me 2.5%.

• maria says:

thank you guys, now i know places to get discount here in the mainland. but mind you back home in Guam almost all stores give military atlist 10% discount, all hotels and restaurants have military discount. their always posted on their door.

53. Shannon says:

My husband recently went to our local Tires Plus store in Florida in uniform to get a tire repaired. He came home with a repaired tire, FREE of charge! $23 service – free, oh, & a “Thank you for your service.” to boot.

54. KRG says:

Enter text right here! T-mobile will give you 20% off of your MONTHLY bill. I've been with them for years and just found that out a little while ago. You have to have an ID and show them–they won't tell you about it.

• Bill says:

How about Verizon? Do they offer a discount? What can you tell me?

• Milisa says:

verizon does give a military discount as well… you get 10 or 15% off of your monthly service charges, and can also get a discount on equipment you buy (phones, chargers, etc.). Hubby had to take his ID card and a copy of his LES to the one store for it, but if you go to a corporate store your ID card alone will work

55. Marcello says:

Here in South Florida:
    Lowes and Home Depot = 10%
    Khol's = 15%
    Chik-Fil-A = about half off of a combo meal
    Aeropostale = 10%
    Jiffy Lube = 10%
    Panda Express = 10%
    But it varies in different cities, some gives discount with uniform on or just the ID. Just ask for it.

• Mike says:

Florida Gulf Coast, Verizon gives military and federal employees a discount. Buffalo wild wings gives a 10% discount. Leslie pools 5%. Hooters 20%.

56. george says:

sprint also gives anyone with a dod id card 15%discount on every cell plan except basic

57. william hall says:

Anyone around the FT. Knox area with a retired or military Id gets a 10% discount at most businesses.

58. Polliwawg says:

We recently vacationed in Gatlinburg, TN and were astounded at the fabulous military discounts at every corner. We were discounted at Ripley's Aquarium, miniature golf, our cabin, food establishments, every outing. The discounts were quite generous too….for example, we got into the Aquarium for $5 each instead of 23.00 each, miniature golf was half price too! Definitely a place to consider if you want to save money on the outings!

• RoseMary says:

Is that active military? We live about 2 hours from Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg area.My husband is a veteran he sometimes gets 10% off sometimes its nothing. I dont think veterans mean as much as active military. My husband did a tour in Iraq in 2004- 2005, that was the first year they had voting. That year we went to Gatlinburg and the discounts were great. Since retirement its all over.

59. Carl jr says:

Hey, folks there are several places that give discounts but you have to have active duty or retired ID. I can speak only for the places in Texas, oh yeah and you have to ask because they don’t advertise. i.e. Lowe’s 10%, Home Depot 10%, Autozone 10%, Denny’s (normally 10%), there are others. Just ask everywhere you go.

Now I am Texas vet 40% disabled, can I get a VAC card folks are talking about?

60. Mensch says:

"Veteran's Advantage" ID cards get you bigger discounts on hotels and Amtrak then a genuine government ID card. It makes me sick and I wish Congress would review their business practices.

61. PAUL says:

MENARDS RECENTLY STOPPED GIVING THE DISCOUNT! WE NO LONGER SHOP THERE. PIZZA HUT GIVES A 10% DISCOUNT ON ALL
    PURCHASES FOR RETIRED OUR ACTIVE MILITARY.. WE DO SHOP LOWES & HOME DEPOT…..JUST ALWAYS ASK… & RECENTLY WE WERE GIVEN A DISCOUNT (5 CENTS OFF) ON OUR PROPANE.

• PAUL says:

THE ABOVE 5 CENTS OFF IS "PER GALLON" ON PROPANE FILL'S. WE
      APPRECIATE ANY DISCOUNT WE CAN GET.

62. Barry says:

Best Buy also gives military discounts. They do not give you discounts on items that are on sale! It never hurts to ask any business if they give discounts to the military, the worst that could happen is that they say "NO"! I bought furniture from a company that offered discounts to the fire dept and police dept advertised in the newspaper. I asked if he could do the same for me? He did and in the next advertisement he added mititary. So it doesn't hurt to ask.

63. Barry says:

The last comment I wrote should read he added Military not mititary!

64. Richard Fawkes says:

Hardys gives 10 % on entire bill if you have family with you with ID. Have not been to Dennys lately, but they used to give 10 % as well. On vets day, all vets eat free at several dining establishments, Applebees, and others.

65. JSFMIKE says:

Lowes and Home Depot here in the DFW, TX area give a 10% discount to active duty, retirees, and veterans with VA ID cards. So someone like myself who left the Navy with disability separation at 9 years of service can get the discount because my VA card shows I'm Service Connected disabled.

66. sandy griffin says:

K-mars t in va beach va offers 10% discount on Tuesdays for active and retired vets.

67. Ray says:

O'Reilly gives one also. Just ask and show ID military card, not VA card from whT i'VE SEEN.

68. IMP says:

In Oklahona there are many discounts, I ask everywhere I go. As you have seen Lowes and Home Depot are great. Quiznos is hit and miss so is Subway just ask. At out new outlet mall several stores are giving military discounts. Tinsel Town and Harkins movies both give discounts. Don't forget both Denny's and IHOP….yes I like eating out at restaraunts a lot.

69. Vic B. says:

IHOP, that is, International House Of Pancakes, gives 20% off, just show your ID.

70. DirectorRonayne says:

Don't forget your local County Veterans Service Agency or your States equivilant. Our County issues a resident Veterans ID Card that is acceptable to participating merchants in our County's Veterans Discount Program. We have learned that alot of vets who have not enrolled at VA can use this card with the same result.

71. Vicki Moran says:

In Ohio, when you renew your driver's license take your DD214. They will put a symbol on your license that shows you are a vet.

72. Female RN retired says:

Wendy's gives everyday 10% discount….

73. Ray says:

There are a lot of benefites when you are rated 100% total and permanet. The key is total and permanet. Your spouse and children (under 21) can go to college or a trade school and the VA will pay for the school. You do not have to pay property tax on your house. In florida you can renew your driver licenses for free. You can get a fising or hunting license for free. The best site is" military benefites" and your present state where you live. The benefites are a little different from state to state.

74. Jose says:

Leslies Pools hear in Arizona gives discounts to military and retired personal.

75. William Barth says:

Most states offer a DAV license plate if you are 100% service connected. You can get your I.D. Card at any military base or Reserve center that has a full time personnel clerk. You will most likely need a copy of your 214 a copy of your awards letter and a letter from the regional VA Office stating that you are 100% and eligible for an I.D. card. You are then authorized PX/BX and Commisary priviledges and clothing sales, 4 seasons if there are any of those still around and on post vendors. Plus a host of other state level disabled veteran benefits. Check with your state or county service officer,or your nearest DAV, VFW, AL,VVA service officer for more information.

76. Kellly says:

IHOP gives a 20% discount for the Military. You need to present I.D. card.

77. gonavy says:

EVERY STATE IS DIFFERENT–at this page, go to the top under benefits, go to veterans benefits, go to the state list: OKLAHOMA IS THE BEST!!! I am 100% service connected, and don't pay property tax, get cheap car tags (2), pay no excise tax on a new car (once in a 3 year period), and BEST OF ALL–I get a tax exempt card, so pay no state or fed income tax when I make purchases. The state was having a hard time getting little businesses to give that one, so they passed another law that makes it really hard if a business doesn't comply, Some businesses make it easy–you get a card from walmart that you use at the register…it is so easy…
    GO TO YOUR VA OFFICE–FIND OUT WHAT YOUR STATE OFFERS TO THOSE VETS THAT HAVE GIVEN SO MUCH AND LOST BECAUSE OF IT.
    Your local office will give you the forms for the ID Cards. I have one that gives me the commissary and all, even the hotel discounts….then national chains give me all the discounts active and reservists get.

• zammervillle says:

you can use your walmart card in any state

• zammervillle says:

hey go navy veterans news is complining a list of all the stores that give a discount to veteran and military personal it should be out soon you might check in to it from time to time

78. gonavy says:

oops–not income tax above—SALES TAX

79. Danno says:

Texas offers a free specialty license plate that grants free parking statewide (airports!) to these folks: Disabled Veterans, Medal of Honor, POW, Pearl Harbor survivor, Purple Heart, Legion of Valor (service crosses), & Legion of Merit. I'm not sure what percent is required for the disabled vet plate but I have a Legion of Merit and love free parking at airports. Google VTR-427 for details.

80. Patrick says:

Alaska Railway offers 20% discounts for those holding military ID cards. Check for details.

81. Sgt. 100% DAV says:

I live in Colorado…100% service-connected DAV is exempted from 50% school and prpropety tax, $0 auto registration fees, life time hunting & fishing license and more. Also, service-connected vets are eligiable for free national park pass…some states offer free state park pass.
    For DAV state fee exemptions, check your state's web page…google (your state) veterans benefits.

82. Karen says:

I live in Oregon. I got a Dept of Defense/Uniformed Services Identification and Privilege Card, DD Form 2765, after I got a certain percentage of disability thru the Dept of Veterans Affairs. My husband got one also, as my spouse. This card entitles us free access to ALL National campgrounds, parks, etc., and gives us discounts at any store, zoo, park, theatre, etc., that wants verification of military service. It has come to a point, within our nation, where most all places WILL give a discount to veterans and military personnel alike.

83. Shannon says:

In Wisconsin your college tuition is paid for 128 hours or 8 semesters whichever works to your advantage. All you have to do is talk to the vet reps they will fill out the paperwork. It is sent to the state to be approved then it is sent to the school. only proof you need is dd214. they will tell you what else you need there are a few other things you have to bring but no other military information.

84. Port Dawg says:

Both Lowes and Home Depot have a CORPORATE discount policy for military and veterans. It should be 10% EVERY purchase. If you ask for the discount and the clerk knows ‘nothing’ about it, ask to see the store or duty manager. If the duty manager professes to know nothing about it or state ‘we only do that on certain holiday’s make note of the store (on your receipt) and contact coporate via the WWW.

Also, when shopping your favorite point of sale, ASK if they have a military discount. Many Stores, fast food establishments like Subway, hotels & motels car rental agencies and the like may not advertise them but will award them if you ask.

85. J. Downs says:

Home Depots in Pennsylvania only give the 10% discount on certain holidays. They used to give it all the time with your ID card but I've been rebuked at several stores in the Philadelphia area recently as they tell me their policy has changed to certain holidays only.

86. Ann says:

When I go to Home Depot in Creescent City Ca. I get the 10% plus I show my Trible card and pay no tax.

87. Bob says:

In Delaware , the DMV provides a Veterans I.D. card with one's drivers' license picture and service branch on it free of charge . I presented discharge papers and Delaware Drivers license and had my card in 10 minutes. The idea is to have a standard card with no SSN's or personal info exposed . I was told at H.D. that its the only Veteran I.D. they'll accept in Delaware . I recently used it for power washer and appliance purchases at H.D. and Lowes . Other states should follow suit because this is a winner . Restraunts such as Lone Star take 20% off on Mon and 10% other times and with the card its so simple to ask and verify one's veteran status .

88. Joe says:

North Carolina will begin having a veterans and an active duty designation on driver's licenses by July 2012. HOUSE BILL 159 was signed into law in April and you can google it for the specifics.

89. donald warner says:

I was in the Navy from feb1969 to dec 1972. was not in war time areas, have no wartime injurys or collecting any health benefits. why can't us type of veterans get a vic?

90. Barry says:

Yesterday 11/18/2011, I went into my local Homedepot in Overland Park,KS,
    made my purchase and went to pay asking for my military diecount and showing them my Dog Tag ,which has always been accepted in the past..
    The clerk did honor my Dog Tag but told me there is a change which goes into effect next month and the change is on there Web Site.

The problem I have is I served six years in the Army National Guard, was Honorably discharged in 1966, but can not get an ID card.

91. Janet says:

concerning eligibility…my husband served and was discharged honorably during the Korean war (1952-1956). He has, thankfully, no service connected injuries. Is he eligible for a Valid Military ID card? Thanks for information and thanks to all who have served and continue to serve this country.

92. GREG says:

Any good Veterans tax or DMV breaks in NJ?

93. bigblocksglass says:

For those of you living in SE Michigan please note the we bigblocksglass.com offers a 5% discount on installations to any veteran, 365 days a year. Proof of service is required

94. Mike Scott says:

At the V.A.. clinic they told me I could get a 10 percent discount for showing this veteran card that I have. I have done it in the past, but today when I showed it they said it needs to have service related disability on it or no discount. That meant from her 100 percent disability. Being shot doesn't count or being an ex-paratrooper and state trooper. :)

95. Celia says:

I heard that 100% disabled vets and their beneficiaries are entitled to free city parking, including airport parking. Is this true or does anyone know about this? I am in Houston, TX. Thanks!

96. Dan Boone says:

New England Home Depots require you to register and then get coupons via email. Why? Are they collecting this information for a reason? Lowes just looks at your ID and you're good to go.

97. Nora says:

My husband is 100% disabled with PTSD, the problem that I have is that I don't have an military ID, He never goes into any store or very seldom leaves the house. even if I take his ID with me they won't give me the discount they say that he has to be with me, how can I get some form of military ID that will show lthat I am his spouse/

Nora, if your husband is 100% disabled, and eligible for a military ID, then you are eligible for a military ID, too. Please check with your nearest military installation to find out what they require in order to issue you an ID.

• zammervillle says:

just needf your dd 214 letter from the va showing your husbands is 100% and your drivers licen then check for you local base some you have to seet an appointment for others not bring them in and they will give you a military id that you can use….then they will issue you a military id card gor you it will be good for like 3 yrs but for him it is good for life then you can get on any base with a px or bx and shop and can show that id at most any store and get a discount

98. Bertram Jones says:

I went to the Delaware DMV and got a Veterans ID card (with picture). Lowes (at least the one in Newark, DE) does not accept this card as valid Vet ID . They had copies at the register of the ID's they would accept but they were photocopies and so small you could not read who issued them.

99. zammervillle says:

need to check alot of places here in oklahoma give discounts to military personal but think they are giving all vets a discount they are a little confussed about military and veterans discounts are .because to get a military id here you have to be 100% so not alot of vets can get a military id they have the va card or copies of there dd214 and company's don't know enough just ask around …and yea go navy go army go marines go airforce and even go coast gaurd ….

100. Gabe says:

I am a Veteran who is currently out of work….close to bieng homeless, with 3 boys and very low on food. I know the basics of where to go for small bags of food, which keeps me hanging on throughout the week.

I went back at 50, last year and completed my Bachelor's Degree, however, have not found anything in over 5 months. I know there are certain programs out there, however, I cannot seem to locate them. All those years I gave and gave, donated and donated, and now that it's my time in need of assistance, I feel so low and disgraced, and have a hard time putting my hand out….Right now I am in need of Programs……especially any programs that will assist me in presents for my boys, 7, 9 and 14 for this comming Christmas. I am even willing to be Santa for Christmas Eve just to bring in some extra money for them. Please, if anyone knows of any means of assistance, please email me and let me know. I would have put a number down but had to stop payment due to putting the money elsewhere, where it's needed.

Igdefabrizio@yahoo.com and thanks

101. Gabe says:

Again, if anyone knows of any assistance programs for toys that I can look intyo for my boys……please email me @ gdefabrizio@yahoo.com

thanks a million

102. @eddievidmar says:

Are these discounts for veterans rated at 100% disability only? What about those of us stuck at 20% ? Does "disabled" mean disabled to any degree?

And is there a complied list anywhere?

103. LARRY says:

does any inter net provider give a discount ??

104. Ronna says:

I am totally aggravated by this whole program. A Veteran is a Veteran. If you have a valid discharge papers, why do you have to go through getting veteran's id card. Not all Veterans were disabled. So if you
    back in one piece and were in a war for 4 years, you are not entitled to a 10% discount. It is all about the bonuses that the store manager will lose, that is why some allow the discounts and not others. I know, because I have a relative that works for Lowe's.

105. Rosemarie says:

My father was in 20 years with the Navy, and has passed away. Can I get an ID ?

Sorry, Rosemarie, military IDs are for current or retired servicemembers and their dependents. Unless you are under 18, you are not eligible for a military ID.

106. De says:

So far I have always received a 10% military discount from Lowe's. Recently I have been shopping at Home Depot and have "Not" received a 10% military discount on my lumber purchases.

I buy quite a bit of lumber throughout the year, so since Lowe's gives me a military for my lumber purchases and Home Depot "Does Not" I'll have to purchase my lumber from Lowe's.

And yes I qualify for the military discount.

107. Irene says:

how does a veteran get a Military ID card to use for discounts at some of these places that offer them?
    Wife of a veteran

Irene, there isn't a "veterans ID card." Each store gets to decide their own qualifications for a discount, and then they decide what sort of ID will be required. For example, Lowes and Home Depot offer discounts to active duty, retired and 100% disabled veterans. As such, they find that the Department of Defense issued military ID card is the most effective ID for their qualifications. Stores that offer discounts to all veterans usually ask for a DD214, or don't ask for any identification at all. Some states offer veterans designations on their driver's license, and some counties offer veterans ID cards, but usually only local stores use these because they are local in nature. Some companies will offer discounts to members of the American Legion, the Veterans of Foreign Wars, or other veterans groups. In particular, do not be fooled by online companies offering to sell you an official veterans ID card. There is no such thing and they are just trying to make money.

108. Jimmie Sisco says:

how can I get my veterans I D card?

109. Marvin says:

It appears to be a slight misunderstanding at some stores especially Lowes in Houston. At the checkout there is a book of acceptable identification necessary to receive the discount. The identification that I observed is official active duty ID's. Therefore the cards issued by commercial outlets will not work. Accordingly a DD form 214 will not work in that there is not picture on the document.

110. Augusto Crespo says:

I am a veteran and proudly served in Vietnamese. Thank God I am not connected to the service, and not depend on government aid. And I could overcome the stigma of veteran. It is sad to see how our heroes are divided by Home Depot into two categories: 10% Vets and I'm sorry Vets. Heroes are all, we deserve our respect and dignity exhorted not to sponsor Home Depot.

• Joe says:

Lowe's corporate policy states all active duty personnel, 20+ year retirees, active reserves, and VA card holders get a 10% discount everyday. All others get 10% three times a year, Memorial Day, July 4th, and Veteran's Day. A DD214 is not valid ID for Lowe's to give the discount.. How do I know? I am a Vietnam vet and work at lowe's. Also if you are a commercial customer, no discount is given.

111. Dairell says:

How can Lowe's or Home Depot offer a veteran discount and then deny it to veterans of past wars. I was told by an employee of Home Depot in Buford, Ga that I had to have a VA issued id card. They don't issue an ID card unless you are in for other services such as medical or disability. If that is the case, they are not giving veteran discounts, they are giving medical or disability discounts for those veterans only. They should make their policy clear.

112. Arnall Terry says:

So we have to carry a full copy of our DD-214 folded in our wallet, instead of getting a credit card size of ID….right?

• Steve says:

Have the DD214 shrunk down to a credit card size (front and back) and this copy lamented at an office supply store. Mine is still legible. Accepted at places that will give vets discounts with a DD214..

113. Heidi says:

My husband is 65 and retiring. He is a veteran of the navy. I do we get the the discount vic or vac i heard about.

Also is there any kind of discount on our real estate taxes due to the fact he is a veteran?

Heidi, I do not know about a vic or vac. Different business give different discounts for veterans. You just have to ask. Some will say yes and some will say no.

Real estate tax reductions would be handled on the state or county level. You will have to check with your local government to see if they offer any credits for veterans. Many also offer lower rates for senior citizens.

Good luck to you.

114. MarineEagle1 says:

In reference to acquiring a Veterans Identification Card, my local veterans center told me I can get one from any military base. My nearest military base informed me that they only issue a VIC to 100% disabled veterans and 20 year retirees. The lady I spoke with mentioned that I could get a Veterans designation on my New York State Drivers License. I went to NYDMV today with my DD214 and they charged me $12.50 to generate a new drivers license with the veterans designation, which I'll receive in about two weeks. I hope this will help me when I need to show that I'm a veteran of the armed forces of the United States of America.

115. Chuck P says:

Veterans should not use their government issued ID just to get a retail discount. Active duty and veterans have the highest rates of fraud and ID theft in the country according to a recent VA study since these id's can easily be mishandled by employees. For example, a smart phone with a scanner can grab the social security number that the VA ID has imbedded in a second. Any company that requires a government ID for their military discounts are just hurting vets. Vets should get the VetRewards Card, the only military ID that protects veterans privacy on Veterans Advantage.com. It is rated A+ by BBB and run by veterans. There are top companies that advertise that they accept the card for their military discounts, but lots of other businesses take it if you just show it.

116. bennie coleman says:

Why aren't all vets given the discount–NOT JUST ACTIVE AND RESERVE–we all served and have honorable discharges and have dod cards to prove it.???

117. chuck wilson says:

why can't veterans get a picture ID card? I served in the Korean War and do not need any VA Hospitals services as I pay my own insurance, Kowes will not give you a discount without a picture ID -the DD214 is not good enough

• Kate says:

Mr. Wilson, what would be the purpose of this picture ID, and who would administer them?

Businesses that offer discounts to veterans usually accept a wide variety of IDs, including veterans service organizations and DD214s. Heck, most of them give you the discount without any required ID.

Lowes veterans discount, offered four weekends a year, does accept a DD214. Their everyday military discount requires a Department of Defense issued military ID card, such as those provided to active and retired service members.

118. Bill Nightingale says:

Check your state drivers license offices – Florida has a program where you take your DD-214 into the office and a "blue V" is added to your drivers license down toward the lower right corner – they make a digital copy of the DD-214 = Lowe's accepts this as a veteran ID card

119. Tony Nelson says:

Lowes only gives the 10% discount to military retirees four times a year as I was told last week when I went and bought a new dryer at the Lowes Store in Newberry, SC.

120. Lobo VNV says:

As someone commented that is not true, every Lowes that I've been in across the country gives the discount to Active, retired, & their dependents year round. Other Vets get the discount on certain days, such as Veterans day.

121. jack r says:

I am retired with military ID and lowes gives it to me each time I go…shoild see manager and talk about it.clerks don't always know about it………………………………….

122. Jodi says:

Is that every state? I live in MN and am 40% DAV.

123. KateKashman says:

If your VA identification card identifies your disabilities as "Service Connected," then you should be eligible for the discount. However, as you can see, the policy is not being implemented very uniformly at all the stores. It sure doesn't hurt to ask, though.