Ask Kate!

As you may have noticed, the web guy extraordinaire has put a link in the left hand column that allows you to send me an email. I have heard from so many readers since the link was added, and I love it!

Some questions are common and I’ll be featuring them periodically.

So, without any loud fanfare, here’s the mailbag:

From A.A.: I am trying to change my direct deposit of my military disability benefits to my new bank. Can you please tell me the process for this?

Dear A.A.,

I would suggest you contact a VA benefits representative at 1-800-827-1000 for instructions on how to change your direct deposit. They are available by telephone Monday-Friday, 8am to 9pm EST. You could also go into a VA office if there is one near you.

Thank you for your service,

Kate Kashman

From A.C.:Hi Kate, my Husband is enlisted E-5 and I am enlisting at the end of the month. We are wondering if I will receive BAH while I am at Basic and in school. If so, will he still be receiving his as well? Also, once I am out of schooling and get to my first duty station, if we are not co-located, will we both receive BAH then? If so, how much with each of us receive?

Dear A.C.:

The answer depends on whether or not your husband has dependents other than you. For these answers, I will assume that you do not. You will not receive BAH while you are in school, because you are receiving housing from the military and you do not have other dependents. If your husband is currently receiving BAH, he should be able to continue receiving it while you are in school. However, he should receive it at the without dependents rate because once you enlist, you are no longer his dependent.
Once you leave school, you are each entitled to BAH at the without dependents rate.
The amount of BAH received will depend on your location. You can look up the BAH query charts online.

Good luck to you,


I love to hear from my readers, so please, use the Ask Kate button on the left hand side to send me an email!

About the Author

Kate Horrell
Kate Horrell is a military financial coach, mom of four teens, and Navy spouse. She has a background in taxes and mortgage banking, and a trove of experience helping other military families with their money. Follow her on twitter @realKateHorrell.
  • I am on title 32 order and have back diease should i get benefits fron active or va

  • Dee

    Hi Kate what steps does my fiancee and I have to take in order to add our daughter as his Navy dependent? We are trying to get BAH with Dependents benefits. So far this is what we have. Birth certificate *he’s on the Birth Certificate. Social Security Card, Legal DNA Paternity Test. and Legal Paternity Declaration. We all live together. Thank you

  • Michael A. Gomez

    Dear Kate, I was in the Army National Guard from 1981-1987. I was Honorably discharged. I know that Before, I was not able to receive anything from what I was told so I never tried to get benefits. My question to you is; What is available for guys like myself that have served in peace time?

    Michael A. Gomez
    2nd Batt. 218th Field Artillery, Alfa Battery Fort Sill Oklahoma.

  • Pavol

    Dear Kate,

    My husband has been awarded disability payment for his injuries after serving in Iraq.When he was deployed to Afghanistan, he was not aware that he was being paid, he was told that the payments should had stop automatically. 2 YEARS after he came back wounded he has received a phone call that he was overpaid and he needs to repay all that money. And so he did right away with no delays. But there was a glitch. According to the officials they said that they send him a letters informing him about the over payment to his address in NY (where on one lived at that time as he was in Maryland) even though he was in Wounded transition unit in Maryland unable to take care of his affairs.
    My husband had never received any letters from them, but they are claiming that since the letters never came back to them than he must have receive them–which is not true.
    Also they claiming that he had to chance his address when stationed in WTU in Maryland–but anyone who would look at my husband medical chart would know that he was not able to do anything for himself (that time we weren’t married).

    Even though my husband payed all the money back with a nearly 1000 dollars penalty on top of that –they ruined his credit report and place a red flag calling it as a serious offence against government.

    What can we do about this? My husband has been twice refused a mortgage on home due to this issue.

    Can you advice us what to do please? Thank you ever so much.