Dual Military BAH

aerial view of a neighborhood

When you have two military members married to each other, the rules regarding Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) can get a little confusing.  There is one general rule, but then there are all sorts of variations depending on variables.

In general, dual military couples without dependents each receive their respective BAH.  In dual military families with dependents, the higher ranking service member receives BAH at the with-dependent rate and the lower ranking service member receives BAH at the without-dependent rate.

And then there are the variations.

If dual military service members are not stationed together, they will each receive BAH for their respective location.  If there are dependents, the with-dependent rate will be given for the location at which the dependents are residing.  In the unlikely event that there are dependents residing at each location, each service member would be authorized BAH at the with-dependents rate.  Be sure to carefully document this situation – it is likely to cause questions and confusion.

If dual military service members are not stationed together, and one service member is residing in the barracks, the other service member will continue to receive BAH at the appropriate rate.

When a dual military couple resides in military housing (government owned or PPV), the BAH of the senior service member should be forfeited as payment for the housing.  The lesser BAH remains for the family’s use.

I’m sure there are some situations that I didn’t think about…let me know and we’ll figure it out!

Note:  All this stuff is listed in the Joint Federal Travel Regulations, Chapter 10:  Housing Allowances, Part C:  Member Married To Member.

About the Author

Kate Horrell
Kate Horrell is a military financial coach, mom of four teens, and Navy spouse. She has a background in taxes and mortgage banking, and a trove of experience helping other military families with their money. Follow her on twitter @realKateHorrell.

225 Comments on "Dual Military BAH"

1. If the married couple shares the same duty station do they both still recieve their respective BAH? Thanks-

2. KateKashman | June 26, 2011 at 4:36 am |

Chuck, if a married couple shares the same duty station, and is not overseas, they will both continue to receive BAH. If there are no dependents, they will each receive the "without dependents" rate. If there are dependents, one will receive the "with dependents" rate. By default, the "with dependents" rate goes to the more senior service member unless the couple elects otherwise.

As always, there are odd exceptions, but basically, yes.

3. What happens if one of the married persons deploy? is their BAH forfeited for the deployed time?

4. is there a regulation or something that you are getting these variations from???????

5. I am dual military, my wife is a SSG and an a SPC, we are stationed at different posts in Korea. we dont get FSH and we both stay in the barracks so no BAH per say.
    Now I just got orders to APG while my wife still has until january to know where she will be going although we are in the MACP….Will I be allowed to stay off post at my next duty station even though we have no dependents and at this point do we get FSH?

6. someone help me here. I am married to a soldier but I am not military. I have been receiving BAH in NJ while my husband was deployeed. He is now back in the states and stationed in Kentucky. He says I will now lose my BAH and it will only go to him in Kentucky and I have to relocate. My issue is, he only has 11 months in the service remaining. Why should I quit my jon and relocate? But if I do not, I lose my housing money and end up homeless anyway?

7. my husband is a marine with a dependent and im in the navy with no dependents. he is goin to afghanistan, so does he get seperation pay and BAH, and do i still get full BAH??

8. Okay I have a question. My husband is stationed here in Hawai'i and he is going to deploy in September. I will be leaving to boot camp in October. I wanted to know while I am in boot camp and he is deployed do we both still receive single BAH. I have many friend here that are dual military that they both receive single BAH but they both were already in the Navy when they got married, and no one knows the answer to this question. I hope someone can help me or tell me where to find my answer. Thank you

9. Nicole, you wont while you in government quarters unless you have your own dependant.

10. Nicole, you won't receive BAH while in Boot Camp unless you have a dependent who is not also your husband's dependent.

If your husband was authorized BAH prior to the deployment, the general rule is that he remains authorized BAH for the deployment unless he gives up the house. However, I can't find any regulation about losing his only dependent (once you are on active duty, you are no longer his dependent.) I would ask him to double check with Finance to be sure. It'd be awful if he got a huge bill when he got home!

11. peter lamar | July 26, 2011 at 2:30 am |

My wife is in the navy and I am army we both are stationed in virginia, but on different post. How would we go about getting our bah so we could live together

12. When does BAH start for dual military? The day of marriage or the day of the lease

13. My husband and I are both in the military, and being deploying. He is stationed in NC(active duty) and leaves in September, I am National Guard, deploying out of NY. He is living in barracks now and until he leaves, so will he be able to collect full BAH? As well as myself? I have been told he will not be able to because he lives in the barracks, and does not have some sort of lease.

14. i am pcsing from korea and being stationed in kansas. i am married to another service member and he is National Guard. My husband is currently in Texas while i will be going kansas. My husband will not be coming to kansas with me so will i still get BAH?…and do i have to live in the barracks?

15. I am in AIT. My recruiter did my paperwork for my BAH. My wife started bootcamp a month after me. She is not recieving BAH as of now. Now the Army wants to take back my BAH and the money from me because my wife is in AIT can they do that?

16. I have a question about exceptions…. my soon to be husband has dependents and he has been receiving BAH after his divorce, for his kids, I am also active and I have received BAH w/dependents since I have custody of my children, after we get married are we both received BAH w dependents since both our kids are in our deers as dependents? my kids on mine and his kids on his

17. im a marine planing to get married to a sailor how does BAH works for the two of us?

18. My husband is in the Army and stationed in Texas and Im in the Navy stationed in Illinois. we have 2 kids who are currently residing with my Mom right now because I cant get BAH to be able to move off base & have them live with me. My husband is in the field for another 6 weeks and thats why they arent with him. Im trying to get BAH without stopping his, because he has the house still with ALL of our belongings and cars. Its to his understanding that he cant live in the barracks because if something happens to me, he needs to have a place for the kids to stay at with him. How do I go about getting BAH. I think i should be getting more than $7.60 a month!

19. My fiancé and I are stationed separately, and we are both in the Navy with no dependents, and we both live in the barracks. When we get married will we get BAH?

20. I had to move into the barracks when seperated from my wife. They are taking back pay for BAH from me residing in the barracks. Do I technically still rate BAH. And also, I have a child and i am paying child support. She is receiving BAH w/ dependent and they are telling me i don't rate bah-diff, is this true?

21. I have a question as well :-) I am about to go to BMT, have a husband who is active duty and two children. We currently live in government housing and he will live in the same house while i am at basic training and in tech school. Will I be eligable to receive BAH even tho my husband lives on base and does not have to pay rent? Thanks in advance!!!

22. One question for all: I am dual military and we recently both received orders to different location but my spouse leaves 2 months after me will she be able to stay in government qtrs? I am the ranking member E-7 and she is E-5.

23. So the issue I'm facing is pretty complicated. Me and my wife are both military and were living together when I deployed to Afghanistan. My wife PCSed 7 months into my deployment and now I am being told that I'm not entitled to BAH at all. We also have a child that is living with her at her new duty station. Any info and a reg to back it would be great!

24. I have a mildly complicated, though not unique situation I'm sure…
    My wife and I are dual military stationed at the same base. She's the senior ranking. I have children from a prior marriage which I'm paying support for. When we got married i went down to single rate bah as she claims our children with her. Should I still be getting dependent rate bah since I'm paying support for children who live at a different household? i appreciate your response. Thank you.

25. I am dual military, my wife is stationed in Japan and myself I am in hawai’i! Am I eligible for geo bachelor? Or do I need to move out into an apartment to collect BAH? If I am eligible for gro bachelor do I still get BAH and FSA?

26. I am dual military, I'm deployed to Kuwait, he'll be deploying to Afghanistan (our deploying is about a month apart) No children & we were living under the same household before receiving our orders. I read the regulation regarding BAH- we will both get BAH w/o dependent rate. Now with FSA- we were told on seperate occasions that we will receive FSA. My LES stated otherwise.I went to the finance office here and they said we will not be receiving FSA since we are dual military and both deployed (even though we're in different areas) Can someone please clarify and point me to the reg and page number?

27. Kate Kashman | October 1, 2011 at 9:51 am |

Julie, you're the second question about dual military FSA. I have no idea, but I'm going to try to figure it out. It would make sense to me that you would not be eligible, because the way the FSA regs are written, they are sort of part of the housing allowance. That is why it is coded as FSH on the LES. Let me see what I can find for you.

28. Okay question… I am dual military and the higher ranking service member. My husband has dependant children (from a prior marriage) who live with us 50% of the. Since I am the higher ranking service member should he or I be entilited to the BAH at the with dependant rate?

29. JASON FREDERICK | October 13, 2011 at 6:15 pm |

I AM ARMY ACTIVE SENIOR ENLISTED RECIEVING BAH WITH DEPENDENTS, MY WIFE IF MOBLIZED NAVY . WE WERE RECIVING BAH WITH DEPENDENTS. BUT NOW THEY DROPED HER BAH. WE HAVE KIDS FROM PRIOR RELATIONSHIPS, AND I PAY CHILD SUPPORT FOR MINE. BUT THEY DROPPED HER BAH AND SHE HAS A SON. SHE IS STATIONED ON MCCRADY TRAINING CENTER, I'M STATIONED ON FT. JACKSON. MY FINANCE SAID AS LONG AS SHE IS THERE AND NOT ON FT. JACKSON THAT WE WOULD BOTH GET BAH WITH DEPENDENTS DUE TO OUR CHILDREN. BUT HER PEOPLE DROPPED HER BAH. WHY IS THAT? AND DID THEY MESS UP ON THIER PART?

30. I'm station at Ft. Jackson I am a senior enlisted NCO, I recieve BAH for my children from a prior marriage. My wife is stationed on McCrady Training Center she is Navy on moblization orders. So before we got married she was recieving BAH with dependents for her son, from a previous relationship. We got married and submitted our paper work through our respect finance offices. Mine stayed the same. Hers dropped, my finance office told us as long as she is not on Ft. Jackson our BAH would not change. So why did her's change, and should have her's changed? If not what does she need to do to fix this situation.

31. Help please

I'm an E-5 in the Navy stationed in Norfolk. My wife is thinking about joining the Air Force in the Summer of 2012. We have no kids as of yet.

I guess my question is that as an E-4 or below in the AF, will she be forced to live in Barracks or will she be considered a Geo-bachelor and get BAH W/O dependents? Also, we are currently in Govt. Housing in Norfolk. Once she joins, will I still be eligible for Military Housing or will I have to move out?

32. Hello, my question is about PCS orders to Camp Arifjan (a deployment location). My husband is E4 in the Army and I am an E6 in the AF. I receive BAH w/dep while he receives the single rate while we are stationed in DC (separate bases). He leaves early next year but he says Army will probably take his BAH off once he gets to Kuwait since he'll be living on post(barracks). Is this true? We have 4 children, 2 cars, and a mortgage so any advice on the BAH issue would greatly prepare us on our future finances. Thanks for your time!

33. I am active duty in the marines and my girl is active duty in the army how would BAH when married work for that ? would we just both receive BAH without dependants at the apprpiate rate ?

34. PLEASE HELP!

i am active duty Marine Corps (8 years) My wife is active duty Coast Guard (2 years) we have 1 dependent. we currently reside in base housing. my With Dependent BAH goes to housing. she has been on A-school waitlist for her whole time in service. she will be PCSing to her school in january for 21 weeks. she was told that while she is there she will automatically forfeit her BAH.. is this right? i dont understand this? what would you all suggest? mauybe dropping her as my dependent and adding daughter as wifes dependent? we do not want to lose out on almost 10 thousand dollars while she is at school, that would hurt us financially very badly.

Thanks in advance

35. armyfilchic | October 25, 2011 at 3:19 pm |

I just got married a week before I got deployed. Now I'm filling my BAH papers, my NCOs told me I needed a copy of apartment lease before I get the BAH.. my husband's in the military too, and he hasn't received his BAH yet so he's still stays in the barracks. What should we do?

Do I also get backpay?

36. Im leaving for the army in a week and my husband is already in the army and we have no children but we live on post what are my entitlements while at basic. His BAH is already going to housing every month

37. What if we are at different duty stations and i wanted to stay in gov't housing with our dependent..would they allow me gov't housing? would i still receive bah?

38. If there is a husband active in the military and a wife that is a reserve in the military that have a child together. Can they both be deployed at the same time, leaving their baby alone with no parents?

39. i am active duty in the navy and my fiance is reservist national guard in another state. how would getting BAH work with us.

40. William Jimenez | November 9, 2011 at 8:32 pm |

Does anybody know exactly where to find the instructions for dual military bah with dependents. My wife and I are currently being told we do not qualify to get bah. If anyone knows the actual instructions we dearly appreciate the help. Thank you

41. I have a question. This is the situation.
    A friend of mine is refusing to get a divorce from her husband and living separately. She has a new boyfriend and now graduated from the NAVY. I know her husband lives off post in Colorado and therefore is receiving BAH at the moment since they are still legally married. She, on the other hand, is having her boyfriend move in with her off post in Florida, had him sign power of attorney so that he can access the BAH that she will receive there. I am not exactly sure how that all works, but I need to make sure that she doesn't get herself into some legal trouble.

42. If my husband is a Marine and I am Navy, we are both stationed in different locations how does BAH work? We are both E-3 and live in the barracks, will we get BAH or have to stay in the barrakcs? Also if we go on deployment do we get seperation pay or not since we are not living together? Thank You!!

43. My husband is stationed in CA and I am stationed in VA. He will be an E4 soon and I will be an E2 in january. I was told by PSD that because we are not co-located, I am required to live in the barracks and therefore not getting BAH. Is there a way for me to request to recieve BAH through the command or am I just stuck?

44. I'm in the army an my husband an i aren't in the same duty station I was told we couldn't move out the barracks until either he comes to here I'm at or vice versa.

45. I am prior military and I am going to be marrying an active duty guy soon. He currently collects BAH with dependants (not my child) and I have a child that will be coming into the marriage that isn't his (whom I collect child support on from his father), I am considering re-enlisting as a prior enlisted and do not anticipate being stationed in the same state with him. My questions are these: 1) How will that work as far as BAH and filing tax returns go and 2) if I do not end up being able to re-enlist how does that affect my son and any benefits from the military?

46. How does BAH work for a dual military couple? I'm an E-4 AD air force and my husband is an E-3 AD navy assigned to a ship. We both live in the same city.

47. me and fiance is getting married soon…I'm active duty and he's national guard with dependents, i'm currently stationed here in Korea do i get the BAH or how is it gonna work?! thanks

48. So my husband and I are both dual military. I am stationed in la, he is currently in Germany. When I reclass in a year they will pcs me, while my husband finishes him term here. Who will get whar bah? Does he have to live in the barracks?

49. Me and my husband both are in the Army we are about to go to korea, do we both lose our bah

50. where did you get the regulation for your post? i cant find one for dual military. i am an army reservist E-3 and my husband is active army E-5 . i went to basic/ait training and when i left they docked his BAH to the w/o dependant rate and that i am not eligible for any BAH for while i was gone. i should have received dual bah while at basic. i cant prove it to finance becuase i cant find the regulation for it. can you help me out?

51. I was wondering if you could help me out on this one: My wife and I are both in the Navy. I was recently frocked to PO3 with e3 pay and she's an e2. I'm attached to a ship in San Diego and she is on holds at a training command in San Diego. We have no dependents. We are about to sign a lease to an apt in the area. However, neither of our commands will grant us ANY kind of BAH or BAS under this circumstance. However, I am told and found under instruction OPNAVINST 7220.12 that we BOTH get single rate once we are attached to our ship. Is there anyway we both can get it while she is still ashore? Are we getting screwed here or is there any clear instruction? I have looked all over official sites, and I have found NO kind of instruction about BAH for married junior sailors. If anyone can find the instruction on junior sailors, 1 on shore duty, 1 sea duty, please send me the instruction number and e-mail it to me ASAP. My e-mail is kappersc1@yahoo.com Thank You!

52. I AM a PO3. My bad. I have less than 4 though.

53. My wife and I are both Navy. We have 1 child together. I am a frocked E-5 and she is a Frocked E-4. I am on a ship in norfolk and she is on shore in norfolk. She recieves dependent bah and i recieve nothing. Am i entitled to single bah?

54. KateKashman | January 15, 2012 at 7:12 am |

TVK, as I understand it, you are both eligible to receive BAH. She should be receiving it at the without dependent rate, and you should be receiving it at the with dependent rate. You need to check with your finance folks to find you why you are not receiving BAH. Unless you fall into some odd loophole, I believe you should been receiving BAH at the without dependents rate since the date of your marriage. Then you should have begun receiving it at the with dependents rate when your child was born. Of course, then they will have to get her to repay the difference between with dependents and without dependents for all the time she has been receiving it with dependents.____Good luck and please let me know how it goes.

55. If my fiance has children, and I have children both from previous relationships do we both get full BAH with dep after we get married?

56. Me and my husband are dual navy E4. I am still training in va and he is in Hawaii. I live in barracks so I know I won’t get bah but he would like to get a place ashore but he told me he would only get partial because I am in student status. This doesn’t seem right why would my status effect his bah?

57. im a dual millitary but my husband is in missouri thi were enrolled in macp army said we cant be together… because they dont have my mos here.. then i put up a paperwork for separation pay and bah they said im not eligible for it… please help

58. I am dual military, My wife is stationed at Ft. Bliss and I am in Germany. We got married after I came to Germany. I live in Barracks and she does also. I understand why I do not get BAH but I don;t understand why I do not get SEP PAY. I am told also that when I deploy I will not recieve BAH because my wife lives in barracks or SEP Pay. How true is this.

59. i am active duty married to an active duty member. I have been getting told a lot that even though we are mil to mil the highest ranking member should receive dependent rate. Is this true?

60. hello, im a senior airman in the air force im married to a civilian and im receiving BAH right now but we are getting divorce and i would like to know if ill lose my BAH beneficts after my divorce is over? thanks

61. I have an ISSUE my husband and i got married this past Dec he is stationed in DC but is currentlt in mobilization and deploying next month. Iam stationed In NC we are both army but iam Active and he is National guard. I was told i cant receive BAH because he is deploying and while hes away im still considered a single soilder unitl he gets back which means i can still live in the barracks, but he still receives full BAH…….can i get BAH too because i just signed the lease for my apt on the 3rd and now I just found out yesterday i cant receive BAH….. ny the way me husband is a Sgt and Im a PFC is there anything i can do?

62. Ok here goes, Im an active duty soldier for over 7 years. My wife want to join the nat guard so she can pay off her school loan. Now here is the million dollar question, while my wife is away to train for the army would i be alowed to take care of my 8 year old child. Im at fort bliss and we are in the field allot would i be able to stay out of the field until my wife gets back

63. Family Care Plan. This answer is not want you are going to want to hear but you need to have a plan A and plan B. Make sure that you have someone to take care of your kid when you go to the field. Unless your chain of command does a special expection the anwser is you need to have someone be there for your kid while you are in the field.

64. do you have to be on sea duty to recieve BAH in the navy? my husband adn i are dual military and both navy and we are both stationed on different bases in the same location though so we want to get an apartment but we need to know when we can start getting BAH

65. My husband is active Army and currently deployed. We have been receiving BAH as normal…
    I am in the process of enlisting in the National Guard. What happens to our BAH, and when/how soon will these changes occur?

66. My husband & I at the time were both active duty but at separate duty locations. He received partial & I didn’t receive anything. My husband got medically discharged last year(Halloween) so then I started receiving bah with the dependent rate for the first time after being married for 13 months. Am I entitled back pay?

67. My wife is an active duty E8, I am an active duty E7. We live together at the same duty station. She has children who live with us and is receiving full BAH. I have four children who reside with my ex wife, and I pay child support. Am I entitled to BAH own right, or BAH own right plus BAH DIFF?

68. Victoria villa | February 16, 2012 at 9:33 pm |

We also have been in for the same exact amount of months. We graduated and went too boot camp same day?

69. Victoria villa | February 16, 2012 at 10:31 pm |

What if my husband and I are both active military and we are stationed across the country? Who goes to who? I was told you have to live within 50 miles.

70. My wife and I are both in the Navy and will likely be sent overseas next year. We will be stationed together. Does anyone know the rules in regards to OHA for a dual military couple stationed together with no dependents?

71. My husband and I are dual military. My husband is a SGT and I am a PFC. He is stationed in AZ and I am stationed in Hawaii. We do not have any dependents. Do we both receive single rate BAH without dependents? and If so, when we type a 4187, do we need a lease or some type of documentation?

72. okay my husband is in the army and is stationed in fayetteville NC and we just got married about a month ago and we will start getting our BAH on wed. I'm not yet ready to move there with him! Is there any way he can still live there and i live where i am!

73. Why does JFTR Chapter 10 say "Reserve Components" everywhere. Where is the section for "Active Components" ???

74. Question: Dual military with one child now divorced, based on our divorce decree, with me residing out of state I have my child saturday to saturday every other week which would total out to about 50% a year. With that figure in mind of me actually having my child residing with me, what would I be entitled to in regards to BAH??

75. ok, i am army, my wife is joining the coast guard. my kids from a previous marriage are with my ex. how will our bah situation work?

76. My husband is in the Army and I am in the Navy. He has a child from a previous marriage and is currently receiving with dependent BAH. The child lives with his ex-spouse, but he pays child support. I am also pregnant. When our baby is born, will he continue to receive his with dependent rate, and I also receive with dependent rate, or will he get w/o dependent? Also, can you confirm, that if we get stationed in the same geographical location and live in government housing, we will forfeit the higher BAH, but continue to receive the lower one?

77. My wife is on orders to korea without dependants. We are dual military. Im pcsing to fort carson. My stepdaughter is with her father in alaska while my wife is in korea. I have my daughter with me. Will we both continue to collect BAH? Im collecting without bah and shes getting the full bah as of right now.

78. I copied this from the regulation itself. It appears clear as MUD.

C. Member Married to Member. Unless par. U10428-B above applies, an RC member married to another member on active duty, without dependents, not assigned to GOV’T QTRS, is authorized the Reserve rate at the without-dependents rate, when called to active duty for fewer than 30 days. For such an RC member on active duty for more than 30 days, each member is authorized BAH/OHA at the without-dependent rate. If such a member has dependents, BAH/OHA is paid as for an active duty member.

79. Okay, so here is a complicated one. I am an E-5 in the Army, stationed in Germany for the last 4+ years and I will have 13 months time in service remaining when I PCS in August. I tried to extend but I will not be able to make the next deployment so they are sending me back stateside and I intend to return to Germany when I ETS. Here is the tricky part, my wife is in the military but, not the U.S. She is in the German Army. So, she is not able to PCS with me. I am going to Fort Drum and have read their policy about Geo-Bachelors and I'm trying to figure out whether I will receive BAH for Drum with Dependents, which will not be accompanying me or OHA and live in the barracks? So, I've read a few regs but it never states that both military members have to be in the U.S. military. Maybe it's just a technicality but I was wondering if someone has had experience with it.

80. Question.. My wife is a e-6 in the marine corps and im joining the navy. We have a 3 year old daughter together.I know that the higher rank will get the BAH w/dependants and i will receive BAH W/o dependants for where ever im stationed correct? Now will i be able to stary in the barracks still or will i HAVE to find off base housing or will i have to pay fot on base housing?

81. Allison san luis | April 3, 2012 at 9:08 pm |

What if both my husband and i are marines and the same rank. We are both in the same base however i am in the fleet and he is student status. Both he and i signed the apartment lease however he stays in his barracks on weekdaya for school

82. Dixies_fire | April 4, 2012 at 9:01 am |

New question please help. Dual army, husband pcs’d to Colorado I am in Campbell. He did not receive dla or dependent per diem or house hold good shipment when he moved in January. I am ets in July. I have all household goods and children here. Army only wants to pay for me to move to my home of record which is very close, are they required to pay for my move to Colorado as I will be a normal civilian and my husband is authorized his dependents on orders??? HELP

83. I am a Sailor married to a marine without dependent. I am stationed in Va and my husband is stationed in NC. I recently put a request chit for single BAH and it got approved by my commanding officer. My admin notified me that me and my husband are neither eligible for BAH because he's on sea duty which doesn't make sense because he's a marine. Is there any way you can help me, or is there any instruction that says we can't have BAH because of that?

84. i have a question.me and my fiance are both in the military and are both stationed at ft carson. my fiance and i were suppose to get married when i came home from deployment this month, but with his orders got pushed up and he is now in country also.. we will be doing marriage via proxy when i return to the states this month, just in case something happens, i am notified.. how will bah or seperation pay work when i get back.. will i be a geo bachelor or have to move out of the barracks

85. Daniel Magill | April 9, 2012 at 6:38 pm |

Here is one, PLEASE HELP. I'm an E-5 receiving BAH on shore. My wife is an E-3 on sea but not in government qtr's. Is she eligible for single bah?

86. My husband and I got married one month ago. He already got his BAH approved and started with an effective date being our marriage. We are both active duty and resided in the barracks, one at fort belvoir and the other at fort myer. But I took a while longer than he did to clear our barracks (because of a roomate issue) and just cleared last week. My finance office will not use the effective date of our marriage and instead want to use my termination from barracks date. I understand I was living in government quarters but now I have a leases that started 3 weeks prior that I will not get paid for. Is there a way to request backpay to the date of our lease? And why would his get approved with a different effective date than mine? Again we both had to terminate barracks.

87. I got married, got at with dependents rate and my wife joined the army 1 month later.. Im just reading this and it seems like im supposed to be getting at without dependents??

88. adbrowne22 | April 25, 2012 at 3:37 pm |

I just got to A school March 31, 2012 on April 13, 2012 me and my now husband got married through a proxy marriage he is still deployed and i am still in A school they arent giving either of us bah I have a depenedent he does not what does he need to do to get non-dependent bah he is still an E-3?

89. i am in the navy and going thru divorce as an E-3…do i lose my bah?? What will happen to my household goods???

90. I married in Dec 2010, 9 days later my wide deployed to Korea, I'm disabled and that is my only income. I know mt wife is getting extra pay for being married. Within a of being in Korea she months of being married she has decided to stay another year in Korea and make the military her career. She has asked for a divorce. I filed the paperwork in Ca. we never joined income or debt. Her family has all her belonging. will she be required to pay me spousal support, since she is getting extra married pay?.

91. I am stationed in mcas miramar my wife is stationed in okinawa. we are both active duty Marines. we got married after i had pcs’d to cali. she has a year left in okinawa. do i rate BAH? does anyone know the order on where i can see this information?

92. my husband and I are dual military. He deployed right after we got married and I went back to my duty station which is unaccompanied OCONUS, how does BAH work for us? My superiors said i rate BAH but the admin/finance section has no clue. how can we look this up? i don't think he should not rate BAH just because he's deployed.

93. Ginnuwine | May 17, 2012 at 6:07 pm |

Husband and I are both dual military Army with no dependents and we want to live on post. Is it true that if we live in government housing, the lower ranking will keep their BAH but the higher ranking will loose the BAH? I can't find the regulation that states this for living on post

94. Angela Santana | May 17, 2012 at 10:29 pm |

Ok.. I know this is very confusing and difficult, but i am lost.. My husband just left the navy and joined army reserves.. I am currently recieving with dependent bah from the time he got out of the navy..I understand that he is in gov't quarters and will not recieve bah bc he has no dependents, but what should i do?? his psd at bootcamp told him he is in training, NOT active duty status which woud make him my dependant,correct?? also, once he gets to his job training,what then?? also, once he reports to his station, being only a reservist, not recieving a basic pay or allowance,etc..will he once again be my dependant?????????????

95. i have a question me and my daughters father are both in the army we are not married but we share a child together, i have my daughter as my dependent but i want to know if hes also able to claim her as his dependent and able to move out the barracks?

96. I am single AD Air Force stationed in Germany. My boyfriend is also single AD stationed in the same squadron as I am. We just had a son together a few months ago. We are both E-3's and as a single E-3 you are required to live in the dorms. I was able to get out of the dorms when I was 20 weeks pregnant because of an AFI that governs that particular situation. However, I have not been able to find the AFI on his situation. Right now, he has a dorm room, does not receive full COLA, OHA, or BAS because he is supposed to be living on base and eating at the DFAC. He "ghosts" at my house at the moment. I am receiving full allowances at the "with dependents" rate because our son is my dependent and I am higher ranking. How would it work if we broke up? He would not be able to have the baby in the dorms, so would he start receiving allowances so that we could have shared custody, or would it be on his dime? Could anyone point me to the AFI that governs this? Thanks!

97. My finace in stationed in(active) Kentucky and I am a reservist I live North Carolina. My finace lives in the barracks but he wants my son to come to Kentucky on the weekends and during the summer. Why is it he receiving full BAH if he handled all financial responsibilities for our son

98. My fiance and I are both Navy, He is e-4 been in 4 years and stationed on a ship NOT getting BAH. I am e-3 shore duty getting single BAH and we are expecting our first child. If the baby gets here before we get married is he entitled to BAH? His ship wont give him BAH for being e-4 and in over 4 years…is he entitled to it?

99. I am very curious about this. I got married to my fiance while we were down range. Will we receive BAH while we are out here or will it not start until we get back to our duty station?

100. My husband is an e5 we have no children I leave for basic in 11weeks by the time I get back from AIT. My husband will have been in afganistan for a month. How will our bah work?

101. I can't seem to get a straight answer on this from my personnel office or anyone I talk to. I am an E-4 Navy been in 3 1/2 years stationed in San Diego and she is an E-3 Marine been in for 2 years and is stationed in Yuma. I can't get a straight answer on the BAH policy between Navy and Marine and if we should both be receiving single BAH for our respective locations until we can get our 1306 filed and her transferred over here, or if she only receives it due to her being shore based and me sea. We don't have any children yet and don't expect to have any anytime soon. Can anyone answer this question and if possible, provide instructions on this so I can show it to my personnel office.

102. William Pauly | June 25, 2012 at 4:08 pm |

Unfortunantely, this must no longer be true. My wife is a Sailor aboard NAS North Island but attahced to the USS Carl Vinson. Navy Regs stipulate that married Sailors attached to ships don’t rate BAH until they reach the paygrade of E5. And I am a Marine in 29 Palms and my BAH was denied because of my wife’s and my sperate duty stations regardless of her attahced to the ship or even that her MOS (Nuke/ET) will only allow her to 4 locations in the world.

103. jerrika adams | June 28, 2012 at 9:41 pm |

Me and my husband are dual military. he’s an e5 and already receives bah in Norfolk. I’m an e4 under 4 in san Diego and my command is telling me that I am not eligible for bah because my husband is stationed in Norfolk. Is this true? Or am I also eligible for bah?

104. I was told by many of my shipmates that our MIL to MIL BAH is supposed to start from the date on the Marriage certificate but then the PS's on my ship told me that it starts from the day that the BAH request chit was routed. When is it supposed to start? and where can i find the instruction?

105. okay so me and my husband are military. he is a lance in the marine core and i am a E4 in the navy. before marriage neither of us had recieved BAH and both resided in the barracks, him in 29 palms and me in camp pendleton. so my question is… If we goth go geo-bach are we going to be able to get single BAH for our respective locations?

106. I am an E-5 on shore duty and my husband is an E-4 on sea, we submitted our marriage license to PSD back in November 2011 but I am the only one receiving BAH–SINGLE BAH. Why is he not receiving BAH? He hits his 4 year mark this month, but that shouldn't matter right? From what I understood if you're married you receive BAH.

107. HOW DOES A DUAL MILITARY MARRIAGE WORK IF I AM IN THE ARMY AND MY BOYFRIEND IS I THE MARINES. WE'VE BEEN TALKING FOR A WHILE ABOUT SETTLING DOWN, HOWEVER, HOW DOES THE SYSTEM WORK IF WE ARE IN TWO DIFFERENT BRANCHES?

108. i am active army and my fiance is active air force. i am in Afghanistan right now, but she is pregnant. We have a wedding date set for two months after i get back, so when we get married will we be able to get stationed no matter what since we have a kid?

109. where is this in the reg's because i have gon to finance several times and because my wife isnt stationed with me, the refused to pay me bah and just gave it to her. but now we have a baby and they still dont want to give me bah.

110. I am a reserve component E5 in the Navy currently mobilized and deployed to Africa. My wife is a Navy Active duty E-3 stationed on the USS Theodore Roosevelt. What are our entitlements for BAH? Thank You!

111. Kristen Bua | August 3, 2012 at 12:25 am |

HELP! I got married and soon after we realized it wasn't for us, we are dual military but haven't gotten divorced due to weird WV laws. He is still receiving BAH, but I was kicked out of housing and put in the barracks. Legally we are still married though, should I still be getting BAH?

112. what if we are both E-3s married mil to mil with a child living on different coasts? Me and my son are in Virginia and my husband is in California would he be allowed to receive single BAH?

113. We are dual Military we were receiving BAH without dependants. Both BAH were going to a rent off post. I PCS'd to Kuwait and gave me Barracks. My BAH was taken away and I had to pay half of the rent out of my pocket and now they want to chrge me $6995.00 of BAH they gave me. I doesnt make sense if Im married to take my BAH away while living off post and using both BAH for one rent.

114. my scenario is this There are two married MSgts she has her daughter from a previous relationship and hes has dependent which is his son that doesnt live with him but he pays child support for him. Do they both get BAH with dependent rate since they have separate dependents?

115. Could you provide a reference to:
    "If dual military service members are not stationed together, they will each receive BAH for their respective location. If there are dependents, the with-dependent rate will be given for the location at which the dependents are residing. In the unlikely event that there are dependents residing at each location, each service member would be authorized BAH at the with-dependents rate. Be sure to carefully document this situation – it is likely to cause questions and confusion"

I am currently in this situtation and would just hate that finance rejects my application to bah with dependent rate if we are both in different duty stations with one dependent each. Thank you!

116. my wife and i are dual military, Im a SGT and she is a SPC. She has her mom and her brother as her dependents, I have our son as my dependent. Im staioned in Alaska and my wife is stationed in Virginia. The Army made me move into the barracks. My question is do i still get BAH for my dependents location and does my wife still get full BAH for her location/.

117. I have a unique situation. I am a e-5 on orders to warrant officer for aviation. My wife’s an e-5 stabalized at fort bliss. We have one dependent currently under me at fort bliss. When I pcs to fort Rucker am I still entitled to bah?, and is there some sort of policy that allows me to keep my bah without having to lease another place to live?

118. My wife and I are both airmen in the Navy. We got married a month ago. What is the procedure to begin receiving BAH? We have both turned in our marriage certificates. As of right now I am living in the barracks and she is deployed. Do I need to move out before getting BAH? We are not Co-located yet, but we are temporarily at the same duty station in Wa. Soon I will be relocated to San Diego. No one in my COC seems to have an answer for me. Also how do I become Co-located since I am an undesignated airmen?

119. My husband is stationed in Ft. Hood and I'm overseas in Germany. We are both SPC. What are we entitled too?

120. My husband and I are dual military, both Active Army. We have been collecting BAH since Feb 1, 2011: we recently PCS’d and had our BAH stopped. The post we are now at stops dual military E5 and below until they get a memo from their CDR to take to the housing office to go up to the higher powers for approval to come back to be issued a CNA. Does this make sense? Is there a regulation regarding this??

121. I am stationed here with my wife in Kuwait we were married in May just before coming here. I was formerly stationed in GA and she in LA. She deployed here a few months before I did and we were both receiving BAH. I was previously married and have child support payments in my divorce decree for around $1056.00 a month. Also the kids by my former spouse that reside with her are on my health and dental insurance. I had them during the summers and also every other weekend before deploying which will continue once I leave Kuwait. My child support was based off all my entitlements before taxes including BAH which now I no longer receive due to my wife being here with me in Kuwait. Am I entitled to receive BAH or am I just out of luck on this?

122. Hi! I am also dual military. My husband is PCS to Ft. Benning and I am TDY at Ft. Jackson. My husband is receiving BAH at single rate (no dependents) even though we have two kids and he has more time in service than myself. I am receiving a partial BAH at the single rate. I talked to my finance person and they said they can't help me because I am TDY and not attached to a unit here on post. I am confused! Please help!

123. hi,I'm in the Navy (E5) and my husband is in the USMC (E4). He is stationed in Japan and I'm in the States. We have a house together but he currently lives in the barracks. I currently receive single BAH and he doesnt receive BAH. we got married after his unaccompanied orders were executed so he doesnt get separation either. should i be single BAH and does my husband rate any BAH

124. My Army ex husband transferred all Post 911 GI Bill benefits to me before our divorce, but failed to notify DEERS we are divorced. I just received BAH & book stipend $$, am I required to pay this back or is it mine since he never notified DEERS of our divorce?

125. i am dual military and i paying full bah so its like money given to me and taken right back.so does that mean i really get no bah added in my income??and does my husband still get his bah and how much is that he's and e3..Would it be fair to split it????

126. I am active duty army. Have 4 dependents: husband, son, daughter, step-daughter( lives with her birth mother) . Husband joins the army next week (Nov 6). He will be dropped as my dependent. Can I drop my step daughter and he add her as his dependent instead? Can we both receive Bah with dependents rate That way?

127. My fiance and I are both in the military. Difference is that im Active duty and she is an Active Reservist.

Would my pay status for having a dependent when she is not activated change?

128. I am dual military, my husband and I are both stationed in korea and we are getting oha, he has children from a previous marriage and so do i. his kids are in va and mine are in si, since we are getting oha already, half to him and half to me, shouldnt we still receive bah with dependents because our separate dependents are in another location from us as well as each other? could you please help me out with this question. I have been told so many different things and I have tried to look it up but have found no regulation on our specific situation.. thanks!ce we a

129. Hi Kate. Me(E-4) and my husband (E-6) are dual military both assigned to sea duty, both in San Diego. My husband is currently reciiving BAH at the dependent rate due to that he is paying child support for my step-daughter. It has been over a year now that I have been talking to personnel and my chain of command about trying to get single BAH. My chit has been up to the XO and they say that I am not entitled to it because the JTFR U10400-E4 only applies if both members are E-5 & below with no other dependents. Please help me out with this issue because no one at my command is that much into it. Thank you for your time.

130. I'm in the army, based out of ft. hood, currently in afghanistan, while my wife is in the air force, stationed in MD. She recieves BAH with dependents, for our daughter. Am I supposed to get any sort of FSA, or BAH? I was told by finance that since we did not have an established household before I deployed, I would not get BAH. My leadership seems to think otherwise. If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.

131. christopher | January 14, 2013 at 9:44 am |

Kate, i am an newly advanced E-5, i was an E-4 under 4 when i submitted my chits, in the navy and i am on a ship in mayport my wife is stationed on shore duty in mayport she is an E-4. i have been back and forth with my admin about BAH she is getting single rate w/o dependants and i am not getting any. i have been married for 28 months. i have been told that i do not get BAH because she is shore duty E-4 under 4 and has never been to a ship and i am attached to a ship. neither of us have ever lived in government housing of any kind other than "A" school and i was wondering if there was any backing to this reasoning. i gave my admin a copy of my lease, marriage certificate routed a chit through my CO, updated my page 2 i dont really feel like i have any closure on this issue other than admin saying because i said so.

132. I am an O-3E and my wife is an O-3. We have a child, and I have a child from a previous marriage that I pay child support on. I currently get BAH with dep and she gets w/o. This summer, we are moving to California. My wife, a doctor, will be going to an out-service residency in Irvine. I will be at Port Hueneme.

The question is can we switch my wife to BAH with dep and me to w/o or can we both get with dep.

Thanks for any insight before I go the timesuck known as PSD.

133. my understanding with living in PPV & married mil to mil is we both get single BAH. & living in PPV they get the higher ranking's BAH (however much the military gives them) & nothing more. We live in Hawaii & they are telling us that we have to pay more because the spouse is considered a dependent. even though I'm active military they say we have to pay extra, even thought the military isn't paying my husband BAH w/ dependent. is that right?

134. My husband is Active Duty and I'm a reservist. I am going to be on orders for a year. He has dependents from a previous marriage and I too have dependents from a previous marriage. How much BAH do I get because I don't get child support? I want to claim my own children as my dependents. Will I get BAH at a single rate or dependents rates?

135. what happens to BAH if you are dual military and you get a divorce but still have a lease?

136. Could you help me on my situation? My husband and I joined the military together, but left for bootcamp about 4 months before him. I was receiving BAH untill he joined. One he joined we both did not receive BAH while he was at boot camp and while I was at my A-school. I just arrived to my Permenent duty station, while my husband is still completing A-school. My command is giving me a hard time trying to live off base and giving me BAH. My household goods from my home town will be here in a month or so, am I entitled to my BAH?

137. my husband is a reservist on going to boot (army) and I am active duty (coast guard) I currently receive bah with dependents but was under the impression when he activates and goes to boot camp we will both receive bah without dependents? is this true? What is the ruling? What manual do I find this answer in?

138. Anyone,
    I was speaking with one of my JO's and they informed me that there is someone here that was able to claim his spouse (also military with no kids involved) as a dependent. So, one was receiving BAH with dependent and the other single BAH rate. From what I have read on the rules and how I understand it is that both members should receive BAH but at the single rate. Any help that you can give would be great. Thanks.

139. My husband is an MA2 stationed on San Diego base and I am an MA3 stationed on a ship out of San Diego base. He receives BAH with dependents and my command is telling me I am not eligible for BAH. Am I eligible or not and if I am what instruction would cover this?

140. bigpete9087 | May 8, 2013 at 5:37 am |

my wife and i are dual military she is in the navy and station in San Diego ca. and im in the army and station in fort stewart ga. she is only getting partial bah but her command told her that she couldnt stay in the barracks so she has to get an apartment. which in my case im currently deployed and im getting full bah but i have to give her half of the bah for her to stay in a apartment. but i thought we would both get full bah ? and if she is getting partial then she should stay in the barracks?

141. My husband is in Active Navy stationed in Norfolk, Virginia and I am not in military living in California, He is now living on the ship while on port. We are trying to buy a house here in California and wondering if housing allowance going to be based in Virginia or California. Thanks

142. frenchie215 | May 23, 2013 at 1:51 pm |

My husband and i will be dual military in different branches once he enters boot camp. He's army and I'm navy. My husband will be able to live off base because he's going to be in school for over a year (so he was told). Since he has the option to live in off base housing, will he get partial or full bah? And we also have a house here in Cali that's in my name, will I keep full or partial BAH? There are no dependents. Sorry if this was confusing.

143. Situation: Separated, new assignment, no car, being told cannot live in barracks since still married. Not enough pay for car, rental, and all expenses. Any options on what to do when you are in this situation or others with past experience?

144. Jasmine CM | June 24, 2013 at 8:42 pm |

okay i have a couple of questions, my husband is a Marine, I'm in the Navy…I currently live on privatized on base housing and am receiving the single rate bah (we recently got married), he lives at a different base. We have no kids…my questions are

Will we both get single bah? or will I get partial and he will get single? OR how will the bah work if there is another way?

Will I have to move out of my apartment? and if so will he lose bah?

145. Someone please explain why two military members rate BAH? Service members with Dependents have to consider child care and as a parent I understand how much that costs but saying goes "you were issued a child" you dont receive extra money for every dependent you get. WIth all the budget debates why has no discussion about BAH been brought up. Over 88,000 married couples receive double BAH. I dont understand how a 1 year LCpl married to another 1 year LCpl with no dependents rates more pay than say a 6 year Sergeant. I was under the belief that BAH was money allocated to help support your family not provide enough income to drive brand new cars.

146. both my husband and i are in the military but we also brought our own individual dependents into the marriage. shouldnt we BOTH receive full BAH? please email me the refferences and documentations @
    bab3gurlsh0rty@hotmail.com

147. Just go to the finance office or call them. It's not that hard.

148. I am in the airforce and married to someone in the airforce, can one of us claim dependent pay for the other? and is there a reference I can look into?

149. Ok i guess im just beating a dead horse. I am E5 (USMC) and wife is O1 (Army). Im in Cali shes in Louisiana. My BAH rate is higher AS is housing and i am currently residing off base as is she. What is my BAH rate so i can calculate my mortgage.

150. I am newly married. my husband is in FT drum as a SPC and I am in NC as a PFC neither one of us live out of the barracks but he will be getting out soon and moving here with me to go to school ….how will this work?

151. Concern Member | September 4, 2013 at 8:47 am |

im in the air force and my wife is in the army im stationed at randolph afb and she is fort sam houston 15 min apart…we have two kids im the senior service member i get the full rate BAH.. she is only getting a partial… i dont believe that is right..can anyone help???

152. I am dual military. She is a reservist not recieving BAH and I am active duty recieving single BAH. Why do i not recieve BAH with dependents when in her weekend warrior status she is ineligible to recieve BAH?

153. Here's one: A military dependent, child, joins the reserve. He is single, no kids. Lives with parents. Can he claim BAH while he is going through basic training and tech school?

154. First off thank you for taking on all the questions, very helpful. My situation is this: Currently married to my wife(SSG) who has been receiving BAH with dependents, that dependent being myself (SGT) since before I deployed and still while I am currently deployed in Afghanistan for 9 months. We are both National Guard but she is full time Guard and I am your standard Guard, one weekend a month. Now that I am deployed am I eligible for BAH without dependents and would my wife still be eligible for BAH with dependents, i.e. me? I hope you can shed some light. I looked at both the JFTR chpt 10 part C and the Defense Travel Management site. I am still unsure.

155. I am in the Air Guard and my soon to be husband is active duty, stationed in Florida. After we are married am I allowed to live with him in Florida, under his BAH, and then just travel to Ohio for my UTA weekends? There are no jobs open to relocate…

156. Ok, I just got married. My wife is stationed at Fort Riley, KS and I am stationed at Fort Myer, VA. She has dependents so obviously she will be reviving BAH with the Dependent rate. I however still live in the barracks. We are enrolled in the MACP and as of right now there is no word on if we will get located together. We are both the same rank and same MOS. I am wondering two things; 1. How long on average does it take for couples to come down on orders that puts them in the same area? 2. I heard through Private News Network that even though I am living in the barracks, I am entitled to BAH and FSA without leaving the barracks. How true is that?

157. Ok here is my situation. I hope someone can help. I am dual military (just got married and she is pregnant) I am Oconus in Italy and she is stateside in ft carson. She just inprocessed us and being married and they are saying she cant live off post. I read the fort carson policy but I am still unclear about it because she is pregnant, and I am oconus away from her. Can anyone help with some answers? I will not be recieving BAH because Im OCONUS, I got that.. but shouldnt she recieve BAH and be able to move off post??

158. Someone help, my girlfriend and I are having a baby. I'm based overseas in Japan and she is based in San Diego. I will marry her in December, my baby is born in May. Do we both get BAH or how does that work?

159. I am receiving BAH for my child from a previous relationship.. Will my soon to be wife receive the full BAH since I'm already getting BAH?

160. GEORGIA SIMPSON | November 2, 2013 at 5:08 pm |

I am military married to another service member no dependents can we move in housing? Do they take both of of single BAH or just the Senior one?

161. I was dual military, and both of us were in training living in gov't quarters for the time we were married, I enlisted first and I was receiving full BAH, when I discharged they told me I wasn't supposed to be getting full rate BAH since I was married to a service, but failed to tell me I was able to receive partial… Just wondering what the partial rate of BAH is that I should've received while married to another service and living in government quarters. I'm in the middle of disputing my now 11,000 debt and need all the help I can get.

162. I have a situation not so far off from Steve. Dual Military, however Ive had a child prior to our marriage from a non military member, and Ive received BAH DIFF due to a court order. I got married and we had a child my wife claimed my daughter as a dependant., so we both drawed with dependat pay.
    Needless to say I now owe a debt, because we are being told that only one can get it, even though my child is in another state and I still support him.

163. latin sweetie 23 | December 11, 2013 at 6:37 pm |

dual military. im heading on deployment on a meu. we both currently get single BAH bc we have no children. since we are in the same location but with different units and live of base . will i loose BAS only or BAH as well. we do not plan to break our lease , but clearly my husband cant afford everything on his own while i am away…..

164. Kate,

I’ve read a lot of comments on here that almost describe my situation but I’m still a little unsure.

I am an E-3 in the Navy and my husband is an E-4. Both active duty. We were stationed together in Norfolk for a few months; he was at c-school and I am stationed on a ship. We have both been receiving single BAH. His oders after C school were to a ship in Japan, where he is now currently stationed. Upon arrival he was told that he will not receive any type of BAH. I am still receiving BAH, as an E3. Am I being overpaid? Or is the reason for my being paid bah and him not solely because of the commands that we are stationed in? Also, taking into consideration everything that I’ve read above, should he have not been paid single BAH, like me,while in c school? Is that something we should report?

Second, and I apologize for this being long-winded, because we are stationed to different ships that are home-ported halfway across the world from eachother shouldn’t one of us receive FSA? What dictates which spouse receives FSA?

Lastly, because he is stationed overseas will he be paid Overseas Pay? Would it be correct to say he should be getting paid overseas pay, sea duty, bah (no barricks available, only ship) and myself getting paid sea duty and bah, with one of us receiving FSA? I’m trying to get it all sorted out so that we don’t end up owing the Navy.

Thank-you so much for your time!

Haley

165. I am active duty Army engage to another active duty Army but he has dependents. I don't have any. Once we are married, what BAH will receive?

166. Im in Hawaii and getting married to someone who also lives in Hawaii but on a different zip code and different island. I am in the military and she is a civilian. How will that work?

She will stay there until she finishes college and family stuff while I stay in Oahu. Will I get dependent rate BAH? or Single rate BAH? or Dual BAH?

167. My wife will be stationed 2 hours away. She's Air force, I'm a Marine. If we Just decide to both live in the barracks on our perspective bases what will the pay be like? Will we only receive separation pay?

168. I am in the reserves planning on getting married to a reservist as well. He is back home and I am on PCS orders while I am in AIT (it sounds strange, but yes they ARE PCS orders bc my AIT is 11 months long) He deploys right before I graduate from AIT(in July)…. Will I get BAH while he is back home, and will he get BAH while he is deployed? and if so what type of BAH will we be getting?

169. I have an interesting situation… My fiance and I are stationed on the same ship. We are planning on having a baby, and then we are able to get married since I won't be on the same ship. At the moment, he already receives BAH at the with-dependent rate due to paying child support. So, once we get married I will only be receiving the single rate BAH. But, he is transferring in a year and their is a huge that I wouldn't be co located with him for awhile. In that case, would we both get the with-dependent rate (because I have a baby to take care of on my own and he is still paying his child support)?

170. Alfonso Garcia | February 18, 2014 at 1:00 pm |

My wife is stationed in San Diego receiving BAH due to the fact she is pregnant. I am stationed in Japan and currently residing in Barracks, but since I am married I was told I have to move out even though I am not receiving BAH since she is receiving it. Is this right? and if its not is there an instruction I can show the PS'? Also how would Family Seperation Allowance work in this case? Thank you.

171. What if two service members are about to get married. One is living in the barracks and one is living off post. They are NOT stationed together. If they get married, will both recieve single BAH? Or does the soldier in the barracks have to stay there

172. My wife and I are both Active duty, we are both about to serve a year at separate locations in Korea. Our kids will move to Florida with family, my question is will we both still receive BAH?

Our costs to maintain our kids apart from us will outweigh what I make without BAH. Thanks in advance!

Ricky

173. crussell2010 | March 2, 2014 at 11:23 am |

My husband is active duty army at ft bragg NC. We are still “legally married” but going through separation. NC law makes you stay married for an entire year after one leaving residence before you can file for divorce. I have a child not biologically his but my daughter and myself are on his deers as dependents. I go this week to sign my contact for active duty army. When doing so will my daughter go under me in deers and be removed from his? He has put in a statement for my packet stating my daughter, his step daughter is to never be placed in his care for any army obligations that make me unavailable, that my daughter is to go to my parents.

Ive read “With dual military couples in the event they’re separated, the soldier that the dependent resides with receives BAH with dependent pay” but what do they do during basic and AIT? Will I receive that still so I can send money to my parents to help with cost?

please feel free to email me or comment back if you have any help. And feel free to include anything that you think I should make sure to ask or see that’s in my contract before signing it! Thanks so much!

174. i am an E3 Air force living in the barracks married to an E3 Navy, who also lives in the barracks. she is located in Florida, i in South Dakota. Do we receive BAH at all? We have no children. We recently applied for joint spouse.

Can anybody help?

175. Chuck. If two military members are married and at different duty stations and one has a dependent (child) residing with his previous spouse, how does it work? Thank you!

176. I am going to BMT soon and is planning to get married to my airforce boyfriend before i leave. Am I going to get BAH while i'm in BMT and tech school?Any answer will be appreciated.

177. I have a question, which I have seen on here a couple times, but has not gotten any replies. I recently married Military-to-Military. We are both paying mass amounts of child support to ex-spouses. I have heard many people say that this is a case where both members can still keep receiving BAH/w dependent rate. I have tried searching for the AFI to either prove or disprove this, but have had no luck and must soon get back to my finance office with either paperwork to change my BAH back to single rate or an AFI disputing the loss of my dependent rate. I was wondering if you had any insight on this.

178. abrowncownow | April 23, 2014 at 9:58 pm |

Hope someone responds! Recently Married, I'm Army, she is Navy. I'm at Fort Hood, she is in San Antonio. She is currently receiving BAH, I'm attempting to get BAH as well. This distance is roughly 150 miles driving. Will I be considered a Geobachelor and automatically be stuck in the barracks? My unit command is on my side and would like to see me receive BAH, but my command, training room and S1 all seem to think that I will get it without a fight. I'm preparing for the worst, any help?

179. I am AGR with a child from a previous relation ship, my husband is AC whom which he has custody of his son, will we both get BAH with dependents? We aren't on the MAC Program but we are stationed at the same military post.

180. CPT Hines Maurice | April 25, 2014 at 9:33 am |

I have a question. My wife and I are dual military. She is in Hawaii and I'm in Georgia. I have children from a previous marriage in which I have joint custody and she has a child as well with her that's from a prior relationship. She gets BAH with dependent while I'm getting it without dependents. Although we are dual military am I suppose to get BAH with dependents being that I have joint custody of my children from a previous marriage and we are not stationed together?

181. Joe schexnayder | April 27, 2014 at 12:56 am |

Me and my wife are army dual military. I’m and e-5 she is e-6. I came down on orders to Korea hardship tour for 1 year. She will stay in WA, while I go to Korea. I currently recieve BAH W/out dependent rate she receives bah with dependent. Do I lose my bah when I go to Korea?

182. Joe schexnayder | April 27, 2014 at 12:56 am |

183. Stephanie | June 1, 2014 at 8:57 am |

My husband and I are both currently deployed, we do not have dependent children listed. Should we still be receiving BAH?

184. my wife is national guard with three dependents, i am active army with no dependents and living in the barracks (she can't pcs to my location) how does my bah work as in who receives what exactly?

185. My wife and I are both AGR. We are thinking about moving to Ft.Dix, NJ. I was wondering if they would split our BAH for the mortgage or would they just take hers or mine?

186. For those individuals who are wondering about dual military, co-located, without-dependents BAH rates, this is the email I received from a counterpart at IG, who verified for me with DFAS that my husband and I should both continue to receive full BAH at the single rate: (I asked IG because I also could not find anything in writing, and became worried that since we got married over a year ago, I have contnued to receive my BAH, and that they may take my BAH back. No need to worry, thank goodness. Here is the email from IG, and the reference for anyone wanting to see it in writing:

Ma'am,

I researched the DoD Financial Management Regulation, Vol 7A, Chapter 26,
    Table 26-3, page 26-40 (attached) which indicates at Note 2 that states in
    part "each member is normally authorized BAH at the appropriate rate."

I confirmed this information with DFAS.

As long as you are co-located, off-post, with no dependents (living with you
    or you or your spouse is otherwise supporting) you each receive the
    appropriate single rate BAH.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Vr

187. Dual Military –

We are both AD and I am an officer. Wife (PFC) just completed basic and is currently at AIT. We have 2 children.

1) Is she entitled to BAH w/o Dep while at AIT? If not, when does this start?

2) Does she receive Fam Sep or do I file for it? And do we get back-pay from Basic?

3) Is there a standard requirement when filing MACP on the 4187? Or is it unit dependent? And when submitting for it, do each of us have to submit a 4187?
    I have seen different requirements thus far and do not wish to jump through hoops while submitting this 4187.

188. Hi! Question… Me and my husband are both Army dual military. Me e5, him e4. We are both going to Hawaii. I just wanted to know how this works in Hawaii with BAH/COLA/BAS. We have not figured out if we want to live off post or on post. If we do live off post how much housing allowance will we receive? Thanks in advance for any answers!:)

189. I am in an active army unit at ft. benning, Kelly hill to be specific. I got married June of this year. My wife is in the active navy stationed in San Diego. Now when I tried to receive bah and bas and move out of the barracks to a home off post, they had told me that I may not be able to do so. I need help of trying to find proof that I should be entitled to bah and to live off post being married and should have dual bah of some sort. Thank you

190. me and my husband just got married and i am at FSH and he is at Fort Hood,do both of us get BAH even thought we are not at the same duty station, his S1 told him he doesnt get BAH. i am a E4 and he is an E5

191. Short and simple.

My wife was already at her command, living in the barracks, when we got married. I was in still in A school. May 2014. Upon graduation I checked in the same base, different command. August 2014. We now both receive BAH for our off base housing. Is she entitled to back paid bah?

192. my husband is active duty airforce and im national guard. im temporarily on active orders and was wondering if im entitled to BAH. I also received BAH during basic and was told i shouldnt have??? can anyone give me an answer

193. My husband and I are both active duty without dependents. We reside in military housing. They take his (he is the senior) but we still have to pay the difference for the w/dependents rate to the housing office. Is this normal? Everyboy told us that i would be receiving my full BAH and wouldn't have to pay out of pocket, but everybody also have dependents.

194. in dec 2012 i got married making it mil to mil. He was stationed on shore and i was stationed on a ship in different states. He recieved BAH because he was on shore duty, and i lived on the ship (no BAH). in marchish 2013 a new rule came out saying no matter if the person is shore or sea both members should recieve BAH. The instruction also said that if you were not, you would recive back pay from january 2013 to the current date. Im just now receiving this info (a year after leaving the ship) and im being told i could get backpay from that january to the date that i transferred. Even though i was living on a ship. Is this true?

195. Alicia Jiminez | October 21, 2014 at 9:52 am |

My soon-to-be husband does not have any children but I have from a previous marriage and get the BAH with Dependent rate. Will he collect BAH with Dependent rate because I will be his dependent? He is not my children's legal guardian so will not be able to claim them.

Please advise.

Thank you.

196. Alright sooo question:

My husband is saying he wants a divorce. He just got back from deployment. I have an apartment I thought we were going to move into. I recieve BAH but he does not. His will start NOV15 check…If we separate are they going to take our BAH? I have my lease in personnel file, and he is in the process of turning his in as well…Help please.

197. So my wife shipped off to BCT this week, and I don't ship to BCT myself for nearly two months. I need to confirm with our recruiters next week, or at my first chance to communicate with my wife, but I do believe we are claimed as each others' dependents, so for this question let's assume I am listed as her dependent. Now, I have seen that if you have dependents, you are given BAH during BCT for their housing. Since I am already a future soldier, should I expect to see BAH coming in once her direct deposit starts to go through?

198. My boy friend is an E5 in the navy and i am an E4 in the Navy. He just got to his new duty station so we are separated. He already gets BAH for being an E5. We are getting married at the end of the month and we were wondering if we would both get single BAH or just he would keep getting E5 BAH and nothing would change?

199. I actually have a question. My daughter is engaged to a gentleman in the MArine Corps but they already have a daughter together. They plan on getting married next year. Is he entitled to BAH since their daughter is his dependent? Will he receive partial or any BAH at all? Thanks for any help!

200. It can get a little complicated if they're not married. The child should certainly be listed in DEERS as his. For BAH, he should to talk to his admin/S-1/IPAC. If he's living in the barracks and paying child support, he may rate BAH-diff (which is a few hundred dollars a months). If they are already living together, he may have to show that he has at least 51% physical custody to rate BAH w/ dependents.

201. I have a question, my gf and i are planning on getting married. We are both E3 Air Force and are at the same base already. Will we both receive our normal single bah W/out dependents? How does this work?

202. Does anyone know the month and year that dual BAH was available?

203. What if I am enlisted and my wife is an O-1. How would BAH work then?

204. If someone could explain how BAH would work in my situation. I am in the Texas National Guard and my Fiance is active and is stationed in Ft. Stewart. We plan to marry soon, and then move in together. He is currently living in the barracks on base, when we marry is it true he can no longer live in the barracks? Also, what Ive been reading and to what I understand is that since we both dont have dependents but will be living under the same roof, we each will get our own BAH? Thanks for your responses!

205. My daughter is in the Navy, met and quickly married a Marine. They got an apartment filed for BAH, he got a little rowdy and she asked him to go. They had the apt a month or two. He began getting his BAH after leaving she never received anything bc she did not have his social but he got hers. He is still getting BAH she got stiffed with his apartment lease but bc she never received bah and couldn't keep the apt. Months later he is in Japan still getting bah to our knowledge……..how is he able to continue using her social for BAH when they have not been together. Now he filed a tax return using her social as well and she can't file bc of not having his to at least file married separate. She is pregnant so this is just a big mess for her.

206. So here is my situation, I have a child from a previous marriage who lives with me. My fiancé has 2 children who he pays child support for. So if we were to get married would I continue to receive bah with dependent? Also, right now, isn't he entitled to BAH diff since he pays for child support? and if we were to get married would he continue to get it?

207. My girlfriend and I are both in the Navy stationed in Virginia. We're expecting our first child together and discussing getting married during the summer. She also has one child that lives with her. My question is, financially speaking, would it make more sense for us to stay "single" and each claim one child or get married?

208. My spouse lives in the barracks and is stationed overseas, no children/dependents while currently getting BAH for my location. I have 2 children and on my way to join when I graduate college. How would the BAH work in this situation? And I highly doubt we will be stationed together.

209. My boyfriend and myself plan on getting married. I am stationed in Texas but he is already deployed in Iraq. Once we get married I know that I will start receiving my BAH entitlement for Texas, but will he receive BAH since we got married after he received his deployment orders?

210. Me and my husband are dual military. We were both stationed in Japan, living on base. They took both of our BAH. Is this correct, because it's overseas?

211. Is it still consider dual military if one spouse is reserve and the other is active duty? And if it is do they still receive BAH for their respective location?

212. Married mil to mil with children and will be getting dependent parent do both members get BAH

213. If a Dual Military couple both have kids with other people do both recieve full BAH?

214. Under a Legal Separation, can both military members receive w Dep rate BAH if the Dep resides with one member and the other member pays child support for another dependent?

215. what about active married to reservist? would the reservist count as dependent or would they get BAH as well?

216. If I am a soldier who has a child with someone else in the military and we are not married and also stationed at different locations can we both receive BAH so when our child comes visit me?

217. Wife just recently joined the service which makes us dual military. Am I still entitled to dependent rate bah until she finishes basic and ait.

218. "
    When a dual military couple resides in military housing (government owned or PPV), the BAH of the senior service member should be forfeited as payment for the housing. The lesser BAH remains for the family’s use

Read more: http://live-military-paycheck.sites.thewpvalet.com/2011/06/1
    The Paycheck Chronicles "

Is that just a general statement or an actual regulation? When my husband and I were stationed in South Carolina the government housing charged us the married with dependant rate even though we don't have dependants. We were both E-4's at the time so they ended up taking all of my BAH and 1/3 of his.

219. I'm dual military and my wife out ranks me. She receives the with dependent rate and I receive without. Here is the twist I have a child that i pay child support in a different state. Am I entitled to something else

220. I am in Great Lakes awaiting transfer to go to C-School.. I just graduated A-School. My wife is stationed on San Diego. We are both Navy. We got married after boot camp. There are rumors that she is not allowed to stay in the barracks because she is married. But I am still going through training and schooling. Are we eligible for BAH? Also should my wife be staying in the barracks or off base housing?

Comments are closed.