Home Depot: Still Giving the Military Discount Year-Round, and the Veteran’s Discount 4 Weekends A Year

May 05, 2011 | Kate Horrell

Reader Feedback Requested:  Lowe’s and Home Depot Military Discount and Veterans Discount

In response to the many concerns expressed by my readers, I contacted “my guy” at the Home Depot to confirm that they are still offering a military discount.  He assures me that the Home Depot does still offer a 10% military discount all year, and also still offers the 10% veteran’s discount for weekends a year.

The discount is available everyday to active military service members and their spouses, as well as National Guard and reserve, retiree and disabled service members and their spouses.  We do ask for one of the following IDs:  Common Access Card (CAC); Veteran’s Identification Card (VIC – Must state “Service Connected” for the everyday discount); Uniformed Services ID Card (Tan, Red or Blue).

In addition, we offer a 10% discount to all military personnel and veterans during patriotic national holidays such as July 4th, Memorial Day, Labor Day and Veteran’s Day.

I think it is fabulous that the Home Depot is willing to give such a generous discount to so many people, so often.  I have heard lots of people bashing the Home Depot for not offering their military discount to all veterans, all year long.  I have to respectfully disagree with this viewpoint.

Every business, person, and government entity has to make guidelines for how it works.  Offering a discount to a particular group of people is just one of the millions of guidelines made every day.  The Home Depot has chosen to make these guidelines as clear as possible so that no one will be confused and angry.  (It hasn’t worked, but that certainly can’t be blamed on a lack of clarity.)  They are not trying to dismiss the service of any group of veterans, or be disrespectful.  They’re just setting a clear guideline, and they chose to base their guideline on the decisions of the Department of Defense and/or the Department of Veterans Affairs.  If the Department of Defense and/or the Department of Veterans Affairs puts you into a certain category of current or former personnel or dependents, then the Home Depot very generously offers you the military discount all year round.  If the Department of Defense and/or the Department of Veterans Affairs does not classify you in those certain categories, then you can take advantage of the veteran’s discount on the veteran’s discount weekends.

In my opinion, this is no different than any of the bjillions of other benefits that are offered to certain groups of current and former military members and their dependents.  You don’t get the privilege of shopping at the commissary by being a veteran, you get that privilege by meeting a certain set of criteria decided by the Department of Defense.  You don’t automatically get medical care from the Department of Veterans Affairs, you have to qualify.  You can’t get government room rates at a hotel because you were once in the service, you have to meet the hotel’s guidelines for those room rates.  I fail to understand how this situation is any different.

Of course, if you do meet the guidelines to receive a military discount at the Home Depot, and your local store is giving you trouble, that is an entirely different matter and I certainly would pursue that up the chain of command.

I sincerely hope that his helps to clear up confusion about the Home Depot’s military discount and veterans discount policies.

Comments

1. mini says:

In My Opinion: All businesses should offer the discount to active and honorable veterans, everyday, all year round, TO BE USED WITH OTHER DISCOUNTS. The Home Depot offers the 10% discount, BUT, it cannot be used with other discounts. The Home Depot puts out a 10% moving discount, all the time, in flyers, online and ads that anyone can use, moving or not and a military person cannot use their military discount with that. Lowes has honored my military discount, to be used in addition with their other 'everyday' discounts, which is the way it should be. Anyone can go online to get a 10% discount, or 10% 'moving' discount, for somethin,g and NOT have to show proof or ID to get it.

• DNEWMANN says:

THAT IS NOT TRUE , I PURCHASED A WASHER AND DRYER AND GOT THE 10% DISCOUNT THEY WERE OFFERING ALL CUSTOMERS AND MY 10% MILITARY DISCOUNT. DID YOU ASK TO SPEAK TO A MANAGER? DEPENDING ON WHO IS TAKING CARE OF YOU OR WHICH STORE SOME PERSONNEL DONT UNDERSTAND THAT THE FIRST DISCOUNT IS AN AUTOMATIC DISCOUNT AND IF YOU TALK TO THEM AND GET THEM TO UNDERSTAND THATTHEY SHOULD AND WILL GIVE YOU THE EXTRA DISCOUNT.

• Winchman says:

Albany OR 6/2011 I was denied the military discount because I was a "veteran" and not active military. I was told that Home Depot only offers the discount year around to active military and the veteran's discount is only on Veteran's Day and Memorial Day. I was also told that Home Depot follows the same policy of Lowes's. Strange part of that "story" is that Lowe's policy is to offer the military discount to veterans and active military personnal ALL YEAR LONG! Cancelling the Home Depot account and shopping at local hardware stores first, Lowe's second. Tired of supporting Citibank and China anyway!

• Sgt. JubJub says:

WHEN YOU TYPE IN ALL CAPS IT IS YELLING. STOP IT.

• Glen says:

That is obsurd. Business are in the business of making money. Home depot runs on small margin to compete in the industry against all the seconds businesses. You and I BOTH served and were paid for our service well. No one owes us anything not already paid. WE volunteered..and if you do not have that spirit…than you are not the caliber of individual I expect from the Military. I demanded to make myself at a higher level and self sacrifice for my country..as does everyone else. How about every time I see you you give me 10% of what is in your wallet? same thing.

• Tim says:

Where's my discount for being in the police, or the fire department? How about a student discount?

The reason this country is going downhill and that the economy stinks is because everybody seems to think that they are "entitled to something".

Get over it people.

• Frank says:

This definitely is not true. I have a card (Form 217 AF) from the Air Force received in the late 50’s and I have be denied both at Home Depot and Lowes because I do not have a picture military ID card. I contacted the Veterans Administration and they told me I could only get a picture ID if I had some disability from the service. So it is all a farce. I have purchased many expensive items from these two home stores and nothing would be given to me.

• stan says:

Just went to home depot yesterday with my dad. They will no longer give the military discount unless you have a photo on your military card!

• Jennak says:

The cashiers have a sheet which clearly shows the forms of ID they can accept as proof of military discount. If these cashiers are caught giving one to someone without one of the accepted forms, they are disciplined and can be fired. It is not the choice of the individual stores, or the managers at those stores. The CORPORATE OFFICE tells the stores what we can and cannot do. I am grateful to those who served this country to keep me and my generation, and any other generation for that matter, safe. The 10% was almost canned because of the losses they were taking because of fraudulent use of the discount, and contractors coming in and using the discount on huge projects. They have to have rules and regulations to govern the discounts, plain and simple. I am sorry that you don't think that 10% is enough for you, but you should contact the corporate office and let them know your position, because we at the stores have no control over the policies.

• G-Man says:

I bought a snow blower on Veterans Day weekend at Lowes,got 10% for Military Card, and asked for the 10% for Veterans Day sale and received both with no problem, was denied that deal at Home Depot , also at the end of the transaction I got a nice (thank you for serving) from the sales person,now thats what I am talking about, have been going their more now !!

• Gary Clendenning says:

Home Depot just lost a 2100. sales today to Lowes because of this.They would not give me a 10% discount so I went arount the corner and purchased our washer and dryer at Lowes.Home Depot is really losing out.

• johnny says:

loews gives a 10% discount to military and veterans EVERYDAY…

2. Eugene says:

Good morning to All
    We have taken advantage of this many times from as small $45.00 up to $2000
    only once H/D gave me a problem. I went to next H/D location and got my 10%
    I want to Thank All

3. DNEWMANN says:

I PURCHASED A WASHER AND DRYER AND GOT THE 10% DISCOUNT THEY WERE OFFERING ALL CUSTOMERS AND MY 10% MILITARY DISCOUNT. THEY WEREN'T SURE IF THEY COULD AT FIRST. DEPENDING ON WHO IS TAKING CARE OF YOU OR WHICH STORE SOME PERSONNEL DONT UNDERSTAND THAT THE FIRST DISCOUNT IS AN AUTOMATIC DISCOUNT AND IF YOU TALK TO THEM AND GET THEM TO UNDERSTAND THAT THEY SHOULD HONOR THE MILITARY DISCOUNT AS WELL THEY WILL GIVE YOU THE EXTRA DISCOUNT. AND ALWAYS IF YOU ARE NOT SATISFIED WITH THEIR RESPONSE ASK TO SPEAK TO AMANAGER.

• Jim Dipelesi says:

I can not understand why all veterans do not receive the 10 percent discount.
      To be service connected you do not have to have been overseas, never seen combat.
      Yet a veteran who may have been in combat for years seen his buddies killed and wounded and lucky enough not to have been wounded are discriminated against.
      I just do not understand.

4. Ken In Michigan says:

That's why I have a LOWES down the street and That's where I will do all my home needs from now on…Home Depot wants refuse me any discounts…they don't need any of my money….that's my price and comments to them BIOYA

• glen says:

Also why lowes is in a financial mess it is currently in. Look at thier quarterly earnings and though they are making sales..the employee discount and military discount is killing thier profitability. Profitability they owe thier assocaites and share holders. Look at the rash of closings as an example….though I am sure most here could care less as long as they get theirs and heck with everyone else…GREAT Military brotherhood mentaility…makes me so upset as I expect more from my brothers.

• JOANN says:

i couldnt aggree more HD BUSTED MY CHOPS 3 DIFFERENT TIMES ABOUT AN EXPIRED ID REALLY ….THE ID MAY HAVE EXPIRED THE SERVICE DID NOT!!! LOWES ALL THE WAY FOR THIS FAMILY!!!

5. deas says:

I went to Home Depot and bought washer and only got 10% military discount. Even talked with management and it didn't do any good. Next time I will check out Lowes. they're right beside each other anyway. lol

• Ron says:

what kind of discount did you expect ? 50%. You go to Lows and you will find out that you get the same 10%

6. jerry logan says:

Why should receiving the additional 10% military discount, in addition to, and in conjunction with a current 10% promotion, every non-military, regular customer receives, just by walking into the store, depend on speaking to the "right person or manager"? It should be automatic, as long as you can prove you are indeed a veteran. And why should a Home Depot employee, who receives no discount at all, veteran or not, when making any purchase, and asks for his company to meet one of their competitors current sale prices, which are lower than Home Deports, be told that they cannot be accomodated, and in addition be told that it would not look good for them if they asked for this accomodation. What else can you expect from a company that treats one of their own employees like that?

7. Gail Julian-Fiorini says:

My neighbor is a vet from the Korean war and was refused his discount because he doesn't have a picture ID from the VA, and has had trouble trying to get one. Why won't they accept his driver's license and veteran's card? Back in his day the id did not have a picture. Seems like Lowes is losing his family's business over being refused the discount. He had gotten it for 3 years before being refused. How can we help him?

Gail, from what you tell me, it doesn't sound like your neighbor qualifies for the year-round military discount. This discount is available to active-duty, reserve, and retired military personnel, and disabled veterans. If he is not in one of those categories (as determined by the Department of Defense and the Department of Veteran's Affairs, not Home Depot), then he would not be eligible for the military discount. He will be eligible for Home Depot's veterans discount that is offered on the major patriotic holiday weekends: Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day and Veteran's Day.

It sounds like the cashiers and store management were being very generous in giving him this discount for so many years even though he could not establish that he met the guidelines for the discount.

• Ron says:

Have him got to the VA and get a new card, that will take care of his problem if he is service connected

8. tori says:

I went into buy a flag at Lowes and I was told I could not use my 10%, I walked out. Just two weeks ago I got all of my discount on my dish washer- so who knows. I guess I should have asked to talk with a manager.

9. bajatony1 says:

I just went to my local HD and purchased >$200 of lighting and plumbing products. When I went to check out I gave the cashier my Disabled Veteran card and she told me that HD was no longer honoring the Veterans discount. She said I could go to the Customer service desk and speak to a manager to see if I could get the discount. I sent my wife out to put the stuff in the truck convinced that I would get the discount , but was told the same thing. I told my wife to bring the goods back into the store to return them which she did and as i was returning them I told the manager that I would be doing my business with Lowes as they have always given me a discount, even without showing them my card. The manager then said "Well that's different, If Lowes will give you the discount then we will also, you just have to say that!!" I told him no thanks at that point having wasted 20 minutes of my time and being totally embarrased. I will never shop at HD again, and they were my favorite store!

10. Robin says:

I am used to receiving the military discount at Home Depot, so I don't know why I checked the internet this morning concerning the discount. I found this article and felt reassured. Went to Home Depot and had a custom color of stain mixed and picked up a few other items. As I was checking out I was told that they only give the discount four times a year now on certain holiday weekends. I walked out without making my purchase. The money amount was small, so it wasn't really the issue. The issue is that it felt like a slap. Every time I have received the discount it meant that in a small way all of the sacrifices that our family has made for 21 years is recognized and appreciated.

I did go to another Home Depot and was told the same thing, though the young man did give the discount as a courtesy. I really like Home Depot and hope that they will clarify this issue with their employees. I really think that the company issued this change. It's bad business and I hope they rethink this policy.

11. Mike J says:

Yeah hey thats great and all but what about the veterans who served and got out healthy, we just disappear back into society . No cards Not retired Not Disabled.

12. Jackie says:

I went to buy new fencing this morning after our fence got blown down in the recent tornado here in Texas. I have a red ID card, and like everyone else have been getting the 10% discount everyday, but today was denied! I was also told they just recently changed their policy and it is only on holidays.

After reading the information here, I checked out their website and the new policy is now up. I think the new policy has not been clearly communicated through-out the chain because the website does state they do honor the 10% discount for certain military members everyday.

I have printed out the new policy straight from their website and I will be making a visit to the store manager to make sure they understand the new policy. Then I will be making a trip to Lowes to buy the rest of the items I need.

13. Steve says:

Yet another story by Kate about military discounts being given while boat loads of commenter's are noting that the discounts are not being honored. After looking through all the "Military Discount" posts made by Kate on this site and then reading the comments, I am fully convinced that this "person" is on the Home Depot payroll.

14. Bob says:

I went to a Home Depot today with my Veterans ID I picked up in Hauppauge NY because they no longer accepted my DD214. I was refused a 10% discount. The store manager or asst. manager said I did not qualify with this ID. I served during the Vietnam War but was not there in combat. I was stationed in the US. Why will they not offer this discount?

15. Steve says:

I will now take our business to Lowe"s. Home Depot you are on your way OUT……… I served during the Vietnam War, and some of the sights I saw are with me to this day. Tell me I was not in combat, you have no idea. You need get out behind that desk of yours and put your life on the line making less then $10.00 a day.

16. DON says:

i am a disabled vietnam veteran and was refused the 10 percent discount at the danvers , massachusetts store i showed them my dd214 and a va card that i was issued many years ago but it was not accepted i was never issued a special va card id i use my own private physician and hospitals for my care not the va lowes did honor my old va card and dd214 i hold no animosity towards home depot just to express my comments

• Gratefull says:

Don Just get a card at your VA..Imagine how many slackers try to cheat the system. way too many wnat to claim they are a vet and then go protest

17. colesnana says:

Today is August 21, 2011 and we just got back from Home Depot. We were told that Home Depot no longer offers 10% discount to retirees, dependents, etc., – only active duty members and their dependents are eligible for this discount – the exception being that it is offered to all military personnel during four Patriotic weekends during the year. We are in Laconia, NH. We are disappointed in Home Depot but it's not the only situation with the store that has sent us to other big box stores in the area.

18. Ros says:

Two wars, a crushed disc and hearing is shot. Yes, I qualify for disability but I function well, own my own business (which means I'm the first to lose my paycheck and the last to get it back and am one of the lowest paid employees) and see no reason to apply. I went a year with no paycheck awhile back and had to sign up with the VA. Made a little money last year and got unceremoniously kicked to the curb. I spent six years serving and have lived with the constant pain of my service with no complaints. I even understand HD's policy, if it covered all vets it would cost them more profit. But I have never felt so unappreciated for my service as the day I showed the young lady at Home Depot my VA card (which up to that point wasn't worth carrying except to get a discount at HD) and she rudely quipped "That's not going to get you a discount". If she would have been polite and explained the policy I would have understood, paid for my item and left disappointed but okay with it.

19. Mr. Wilb says:

Greedy asses. I served three tours in Somalia, Iraq and Afganistan. Your little tirades over 10% off at a private business shows the attitude of some of our service members. It's all "Gimmie, Gimmie, Gimme" I served in (Insert conflict here) and I demand you honor my service. I have never asked for a discount as it was a pleasure just to serve my country. I suggest you "veterans" get your priorities straight and keep the main thing the main thing. All we deserve is a thank you and that's it. Putting yourself on a pedestal above your fellow countrymen serves no purpose.

• JULIA says:

WOW! Mr. Wilb! you just said it all!! THANK YOU , for your service and your wise words !!

• P.L. says:

Well said Mr. Wilb
      PL US Army 1966-69

• Mr. G says:

Have you applied for PTSD?

• Raul Allegre says:

I can see both sides. It's great if a private company wants to do something nice for the military community and offer discounts, but there are always going to be some recipients of freebies who get confused and start thinking they "deserve" things. Not to compare the military to people receiving government aid, but people on government cheese after a while just start to think their check is their money and it's their right to keep receiving it every month, without giving a 2nd thought as to where it comes from or why they can forcibly extract money from a fellow citizen.

• Cecil says:

I totally agree. I didn't know there even was a military discount because I don't go looking for them. Then one day I was checking out and my being a Vet came up. The cashier told me I was eligible for the discount everyday all year. So I started using it. Only to eventually have my service be disrespected in front of my family and a line of customers later. HD needs to train their front line or they are going to continue having the same problem. I'm a residential property manager in Florida. I repair and maintain a lot of homes. I will never shop at Home Depot again.

20. Joe says:

Gary…The Military People DESERVE a discount..NOT YOU.

21. Ray Lynch says:

II live just outside Nashville, TN and all my HD's in the area never question giving me a 10% discount. Yes, I have a Veterans Universal Access ID and under my picture it states "SERVICE CONNECTED" but the US Flag background and the seal are a little different than the one on the sheets at the HD register. I have had this card for about 10 years and they have changed a bit. I am in Palm Bay FL and I went to the HD and bang, was told my ID was no longer valid for the 10% discount. Well, if there has been a universal policy change, I would like to be advised as it affects the way I make my shopping choices. In some ways I agree with the comment here about Veteran's Entitlements and in some cases we expect more than our service entitles us to from private business or the public in general but when it comes to a commercial business, I deserve the information about the pricing policy so I can select where I am going to do business. (Continued on next comment)

22. Ray Lynch says:

(Continued from previous comment.)
    The reason for giving the 10% discount is being twisted from being “promotional” commercial business to one of some act of benevolence to military personnel and disabled veterans. I have never been denied a 10% discount on any "major" purchase at Home Depot, Lowes or even Ace Hardware when I specifically requested it as a condition of purchase irrespective of my being a service connected disabled veteran. So the issue here is that HD's own management has become confused about the discounting policy and as a result is again making a major marketing blunder. They were getting their butts kicked by Lowes in customer satisfaction to a point it was affecting their sales based upon the store employee's attitudes and they way they treated customers. They have spent millions of dollars on refocusing and training their staff to become more customer responsive and to provide more service. But they somehow are still missing the point. RayL – Vietnam 68-69 – Bloody Red One – "First In, Last Out" Rangers…

• Thomas Williams says:

to MR.LYNCH

I was in Viet Nam 1968-69 at Phu bia ankee,charange valley long my and quin yon
      again home depot sucks and HELLO lowes they give 10% on everything not just large appliance as of course this type of discount will not effect anysales just a GIMIC

WE LEAD THE WAY 1967

23. Michael Miller says:

Went into Home Depo today and tried to use my Veterans discount and was told unless I am Rated disabled or Retired there is no discount. But the cashier lady gave it to me since I did not know. I could not believe it. I have used the 10% discount for years. It’s another insult to use regular veterans. It’s their business I understand. It’s another insult to us Regular veterans. I served 93-97. All peacetime. Not my fault there was no war then. or any deployments. It was a huge insult to make 9/11 Vets only up get the new GI bill. It seems like every Vet I meet after 9/11 has PTSD. I think the number of Veterans using the discount was to much money lost. So the Depo knew there are less Retired and disabled then regular vets.

24. john hunt says:

In Mt Pleasant, Tx this is also a problem. I have to wonder if the soloution is not very simple with all veterans affairs problem. Why not make Congress put the following into effect and add to all expenditures bills. If you have a contrqct in any government function then you must honor ALL veterans through the same method of proof used by the US Governmewnt as applied to discounts . ??That would be DD214 and Drivers liscense. Congress has the power to limit how they conduct business and criteria for letting out contracts , if they do not follow that then the contract is void. That would mean a REAL loss of money and the problem would be solved.

John, I have to admit that I am a bit confused. Are you suggesting that Congress should require businesses to offer discounts to veterans? I, personally, wouldn't be able to support that sort of government intervention in private business.

I agree that there is a problem with how the stores are implementing and interpreting the discount rules, but I can't imagine how that would be a Congressional issue. If your complaint is that Home Depot chooses to give a military discount every day, and only offers the veteran's discount on selected weekends, then we disagree. A business should be allowed to construct their generous discount policies in whatever manner they think is appropriate for their business. From a Department of Defense viewpoint, there is a large difference between those who hold military ID cards and veterans who are not authorized military ID cards. Many stores use the same criteria as the DoD because it is a clear and self-regulating.

I have a lot of respect for the great sacrifices of our nation's many veterans, and I thank you for your service.

25. Felix Denson says:

You are right about the discount. Lowe's will give you a 5% discount when using their card, or you can get 10% military discount. You cannot get both. So in all reality you are only getting a 5% no matter how you look at it. Go figure. Don't get me wrong, I love shopping at Lowe's.

26. Fred says:

So Home Depot no longer offers the 10% discount to Veterans, except on a couple of National Holidays……………… So I no longer am a Home Depot customer!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got it HD!!!! LOWES offers the 10% discount Everyday!!!

If all of us Veterans Boycott Home Depot…………They'll see how many of us there are!!!

27. Daryl Smith says:

I'm a retiree and have had no difficulty with obtaining the 10% discount using my retiree military card and have used it this week, Wednesday 9/28/2011 to be exact. My neighbor, today 9/29/2011 was denied the 10% discount at another Home Depot. I then tried to find HD's policy on their website with no luck. The only thing I would ask is that they provide their CURRENT policy regarding military service on their website would be very beneficial. The issue that HD now has is how many military personnel will now go to Lowes because there is confusion. Being able to read in hard print would be helpful so those military personnel that ARE elgible can take a "hard copy" printout from the website with them if there is confusion at any HD.

28. Richard Beaudoin says:

Home Depot in Plymouth, Ma doesn't give a discount to all veteran.
    They are selective.
    I served my country. like all veterans.
    Take your business to Lowe's , they accept all veterans and have great customer service.
    Home Depot's loss is Lowe's Gain.

29. Jaylo says:

They DO NOT offer the military discount to all veterans. They offer only to active military. This is as of 10/10/11 in state of RI. HD needs to get this straight.

30. Thomas Williams says:

you are so correct of home depot. that is why I go to lowes they proudly give you ten percent discount all you have to do is show a military ID retired and all

I am in Georgia and home depot is higher and more unorganized than lowes.

31. chase says:

Home Depot in Plymouth, Ma doesn't give a discount to all veteran.
    They are selective.
    I served my country. like all veterans.
    Home Depot's loss is Lowe's Gain.

This is changed, I was just at lowes and the lady pointed out that I had an out of date military ID and I am no longer eligible for the 10% discount. I am no retired from the military but I am a war vet with an honorable discharge. Seems like H/D and lowes both have the same discount policy. I will have to look else where for my discounts.

32. Krazy68 says:

What is wrong with you people. Nobody owes me anything. I accept gifts with gratitude and don’t whine when other receive something I don’t get. At least I quit doing it when I turned six.

As a veteran I am embarrassed by many of these postings. It reminds me of why I was told to always wear the uniform properly. You represent all who have ever worn it.

33. guest says:

On Veterans Day weekend Lowes would not give me a Veterans discount. I am not retired nor disabled. The only proof I have of my veteran status is my DD-214 (with my SSN on it, besides they wouldnt understand it) and my county Return the Favor program card, which Lowes doesn't recognize.

Saying they give out a discount to all veterans on Veterans day is just false advertisment. They do not alter their id requirements therefore if you are a veteran who is not retired or disabled, you will not receive a discount.

The manager even said that a county issued document is not nationally legit. I then asked him if his drivers license is bogus since counties run the DMV's.

34. Elijah says:

Discount or not, I have never purchased anything from them that I did not have to make two or three return trips back. Don't bother looking for any thing made in the USA.

• Jennak says:

So… you have NEVER been satisfied with anything you bought from Home Depot? Right. Something tells me that it had nothing to do with the product.

35. Mazaniac says:

I don’t believe I have ever seen so much whining going on in my life AND that includes from my small children! Dang, I thought for a minute I was in France! Everyone is of course entitled to their own opinion, but to rip in to any company that is offering a discount because they alter the terms of THEIR discount simply doesn’t make sense to me. Be grateful for what they offer because they don’t have to offer a discount to anyone. I recall, when I was a cop, a local O-6 poultry establishment stopped their discount because one idiot tried to use it on his way home after work and was trying to get three buckets of chicken for the family! GM called him on it, cop pissed and moaned, no more discount for anyone. If what has been written on here is accurate, then we are still extremely lucky HD offers the discount at all. I’m counting myself extra-super lucky since the discount saved me almost $200.00 last night. No service connected disability, not retired, just a plain old veteran of four active Army and eight ARNG with an expired ID from my Guard time. Just my two cents worth even though it’s not worth even that much. ;0)

36. Grandpa says:

I'm a Florida resident now, where they put a "V" on your drivers license if you are a veteran. I have a "V" on my drivers' license and tonight at Home Depot they refused to give me a military / veteran discount… but across the street at Lowes the night before, NO PROBLEM 10% off. And worse, was the attitude of the cashier, who in conversation her husband is a vet also… She didn't know the "V" on the drivers license and asked to see mine. I showed her, then she asked how do you get it on there??? WOW, I mean this HOME DEPOT LADY CASHER HAD AN ATTITUDE, I told her you have to show your Honorable Discharge and then they put it on… Still no discount at Home Depot thought. Guess WHO will get most of my business, LOWES… Thank you LOWES… OH, and if you want to know the store it's at the corner of I-75 and Lee Blvd, (also called Colonial) Fort Myers, Florida. Both stores are there and BOY what a different in attitude and service between the 2… I just remodeled 3 houses, spent thousands, LOWES got the lion share of the business.

37. Sgt. Bilko says:

Discount!, Discount! I served, you served. Did we do it for a Discount? I think not.

38. R Austin says:

I normally receive a military discount on items purchased from HD I am mil ret and 70%Va disabled. I was under the impression that the discount applied to all purchases. Recently denied discount on gift. cards

39. David says:

Anyone that works for the Department of the Army or the Department of Defense should be included in the 10%. We all serve.

40. Lee says:

Note to Home Depot:: Maybe all veterans should only on weekends.Where would our country be today.

41. Jim says:

I went to a Lowe's to purchase a ladder that was on sale, for Thanksgiving sale…it was sold out, so I had them look at 3 other stores, sold out. I went home and found I could order over the phone, the last one in my whole area, in a Tampa store, near McDill AFB, when I went to pick it up, was told my 10 percent discount did not apply, because I paid for it over the phone. This was the only way I could find one that was left. As aside, before I could pick it up, the store manager called and said they did not have it anymore, sold to someone else. I called the 800 number back again…and they made the store order me another one.

42. Bud says:

It seems like there is only one ass on this comment page and that is you!
    What gives you the right to call any veteran a greedy ass? Maybe you should look in the mirror, and you will see a ass!

43. Texas Vet says:

Was at Home Depot today to buy a few hardware items. I usually go to Lowes, where I show them my VA card, and get 10% off everything, whether it's on sale or not. Home depot happened to be on the way home for me, so stopped in there to get what I needed. Was told Veterans don't get a discount. So left the things at the counter, and told them, I'll go to Lowes, since they appreciate our service, and always give Veterans a discount. The young, tattooed, female "supervisor" said Oh well, sorry about that! That was my last shopping trip to Home Depot. It's Lowes for me from now on, even if it's not convenient.

44. Concerned says:

I don't have a problem with showing my military ID, what I do have a problem with is registering as a military member with HD. I don't want myself or my family targeted as a military family and when I am gone I don't want contractors going to my house offering "military specials". Yes ask for the ID, but you shouldn't have to "register" for the discount.

I also have a problem with the "service disconnected" statement that they want on some of the VA cards. Last time I checked that is a HIPPA violation to disclose medical conditions which is why the VA stopped putting on the IDs if they have a service connected disability or not.

• Amy Lorraine says:

I got my VA ID card three months ago and it clearly states that I have a service connected disability right on the face of the card. Must be that "stopped putting it on the ID's" hasn't reached all the VA Hospitals yet. :/

45. Sgt. Kaelin says:

Home Depot could get Sued! it is a HIPPA Violation to request any information about anyone's health condition!!!!! That's why the VA's Policy is to not put anything on any ID Card that says you are Disabled!! I would Love to have them refuse me that discount as a Veteran! also! if you walk in their store with a Dog! they also cannot ask you what disibility you have that requires you to have a Service Animal!……..

• Al D'Adda says:

SGT Kaelin,
      I am not sure that violates HIPPA, if you ask for a medical condition for employment that is a violation of the HIPPA law. As for the dog in the store I am pretty sure you must show that you need it for a medical condition, they just can not ask what the medical condition is. Then again I may be wrong all together.

• Dave says:

You are so wrong. My VA ID card clearly states "Service Connected" toward the upper right-hand corner in bold black print. In fact if you are not disabled or a military retiree or active duty I doubt that you would even be eligible for free medical care at either a military or a VA medical facility. It should easy to show either your military ID card or your "Service Connected" VA ID card if your are disabled. Home Depot clearly states that you must have one of these cards to get your military discount any day of the years. I never leave home without mine. Why all of the confusion?

46. zig says:

I am a vet, don't "qualify" for any discounts other than "patriotic weekends".i haven't asked for the discounts ever but may in the future. What bothers me is the whining about not getting the discount for "XYZ". In this country that we all served to protect and uphold, it is the right of the business to conduct it as it sees fit. (with obvious exceptions of course).
    I have the utmost respect for everyone's duty and sacrifices that were made. But the whining brings you a little short of moral fiber and military bearing we presumably all once had.
    BTW some NH communities offer tax breaks on property taxes for veterans during approved conflicts. I am gratefull for the others and proud of my neighbors even though I dont qualify. If you don't qualify, don't whine.

47. Mr G. says:

My Home Depot and Lowes take my blue Retired Id card and give me the 10%.
    Had one clerk say My ID looked like a photo copy! Said yeah it even copied the holigraph on it. I then flopped my VA card and a copy of my disability license from the state and a copy of my disablity letter on the counter with a
    "Any Questions" got a "no sir" and the 10%. Was worth it just to see her face and hear the guy behind me laughing.

48. brucestory says:

iwouldrathershopathomedepotiftheydidintgiveadiscountthantogotolowesatleastyoucangethelpwhenlookingforsomethingiamavietmanvetrianlowesistheworststoresihaveevershoppedilovehomedepotstorestheyaremuchcleaner

49. Raul Allegre says:

Reading through these comments is just so sad. If these comments are representative of vets experiences in general, then HD and Lowes either need to eliminate the discount or open it up entirely and stop with all the confusing rules. They're trying to do something good but at the same time I can see them not wanting to give a 10% discount to everyone and their brother since it could cost the a thousands a day in sales. There are so many situations where people will have different stories and different documentation that it's hard for the cashiers to make a determination, and that's where the problem starts. What do they do when a guy comes in on prosthetic legs and says he doesn't have his ID on him but his legs were blown off in Afghanistan and he wants his discount? The store is in a no-win situation.

50. VegasSmitty says:

I shop exclusively for home products at Lowes, They never question my retired ID card. And there usually less expensive then HD in my area.

51. Sandy says:

Home Depot no longer offers the discount without restrictions. The VA issued ID which is used for your military medical benefit is no longer valid at home depot unless it states on the card that you have a military related disability. Go figure….

52. Roscoe Gray says:

When I shop at Home Depot I have no problem because I wear my Disable Vietnam Vereran Cap.Plus I show the cashier my D.A.V. I.D. card. And I leave with a thanks for your service.

• Guest says:

I shopped at Home depot on Monday, 2 days ago, and he was denied by them of the 10% discount that he has always gotten even with his VA card. The manger told him that the government changed the plan to those active members only and that they no longer give the discount unless you fulfilled one of the 3requirements: You are an active member and purchasing for a service related reason or that you are disabled as a result of being in the service. The woman was rather rude about it as well so I will make my future purchases at Lowes……

53. Lester B. Harmon sr says:

Home Depot missed a sell this time of $400.00 for not gaving me the 10% discount for military service 50 years ago. Lowes is my store to shop at now . Discount there with my card. Sure there will be lots more shopping at Lowes in the future.

54. Kathy Kea says:

what is the penalty for allowing you Father, same name, to use your ID to get the discount?

55. Peter Guzman says:

We shop at LOWES for many reason… 1) Staff more professional and knowledgeable.. 2) Creative .. meaning while give suggestions to help resolve problems..

56. Linda DeMeester says:

We went to Home Depot in Bensalem, Pa today, Memorial Day and was told that we could not get the military discount on anything that is already on sale! Glad to see that Lowes offers double discounts. We enjoy shopping there much more than Home Depot anyway, cleaner and more knowledgeable staff.

57. Dave says:

I asked for a military discoun at Home Depot using my retired military ID and was told that I had to register at the counter in order to get my 10% discount. You find this out in the checkout line. Another reason I like Lowes better than Home Depot.

58. CDR Jones USCG says:

I am a retired from active duty combat and disabled veteran. Today I made a large purchase at Home Depot$350.00 and was told the 10% discount did not apply to everything that I purchased….some things are already discounted so they don't count..I guess I will take it up with their corporate office…

59. Sean says:

There should be a military discount… for anybody who was drafted. After that you CHOSE to join the military and make it your career.

60. Bill C says:

I recently visited our local Home depot in Marion, Illinois and they refused to give me the veteran discount. I left the cart there at the register and went to Lowes. Menards CEO, Menard himself think when he gives the veteran a discount 2 or 3 times a year is enough. Veterans shoul support those companies that were built on the freedom the vets provided.

61. Rick in Boise ID says:

As of 16 Jul 12, the super easy to use, just show your ID card at the register, 10% discount is OVER. I tried today, and had to go register, give my address and email, and was told I'd be getting coupons via email that would allow me the 10% discount. I was told, "this is a better program, because you can share the coupons with others." WHAT??? It is not better, it's just a hassle. But they did give me the 10% on my purchase after I gave them the info.

62. william bramlett says:

Just go to Lowes, there is always on near by. Shopped at Home Depot last week and was denied because I only had my dr lic.

63. Skosh says:

I went to Home Depot yesterday and was told my Veterans Affairs ID had to have "disabled" on it to receive the discount I had been receiving. I'm pleased that Home Depot gives a discount to active duty military, their families and disabled veterans. But I believe they are discounting my service and disrespecting me by not giving me a discount as well. I gave 8 years of service to this country. True I was not disabled while serving active duty. However, the government does qualify me for medical treatment at the VA Clinic. This has done nothing but create ill will. I for one will shop at Lowe's where my service to my country is appreciated and I don't have to apologize for not being disabled.

64. Rob R says:

Went to Home Depot today and asked about the discount. Showed my VA card with "service connected" but did not receive the discount. I called and spoke to customer service at the same store. The guy said "no" to the discount. I, like others, will shop at Lowe's where I get the discount. In fact, the first time I went to Lowe's and was applying for a store CC, the CS Rep told me to make sure I got my 10% discount. She had seen my VA card when I pulled out my license. After the experience at Lowe's I decided to inquire at Home Depot: case closed.

• Gunny Bill says:

Those who work there and were never in the US Military just don't get it. I also now only shop at Lowes and Sears. Thank you all for your Service to Our Country. Hooah !

65. Ed says:

I am retired military. I spent 27 years on active duty so I qualify for the military discounts offered by Home Depot and Lowe’s Home Improvement.

I own property and I’m a regular at the home improvement stores so I believe I pretty accurate about the military discounts and this is what I’ve discovered.

Home Depot gives a military discount on almost everything. An example of this is:
    If an item is on a reduced sale, the military discount “Does Not” apply.
    I’ve purchased pressure treated lumber and the military discount “Does Not” apply.
    I tried this at several Home Depot Stores in my area and they all follow the same program.

Lowe’s Home Improvement on the other hand applies the military discount to all items, including pressure treated lumber, corporate approved clearance items and sales items.

For Veterans, the discount applies only during certain times of the year. I believe those times are Memorial Day weekend, 4th of July weekend and Veterans Day weekend. There may be some other weekends, but I believe these are the biggies.

So choose the one that is best for you. Enjoy.

66. Rags722 says:

You know, maybe it's time to THANK Lowes, Home Depot, and any other business that offers a veterans discount at any time rather than being angry that they impose some restrictions on their gift to veterans. How many other places that you shop offer a Vet anything, active or inactive. I served for 4 years, with 3 of them being overseas. I was a little ticked off when Home Depot changed their policy ( or enforced it ) to major holidays only for inactive vets. Then as I was about to write a letter, it finally dawned on me… "hey, wait a second, these guys are doing something for vets, which is a hell of a lot better than almost anyone else I deal with". I served with pride, I expected nothing in return, and am thankful every time I see a business that offers a discount as their way of saying thanks to all veterans. Sure beats the response my generation got when we came home .

What we should be doing is encouraging our GOVERNMENT to work with businesses to honor veterans, and allow them to get tax relief based on the discounts they give annually to veterans!

67. James Wood says:

I think what hd is offering our vets is a disgrace and I will NOT shop at hd again, why should I, there are plenty of LOWES around and they do give us discounts and have a better selection.

68. Larry says:

Home Depot likes to promote that they give veterans discounts, so they can increase their business and improve their bottom line. A 10% discount, still allows them to make a huge profit; while getting the sales. Current HD policy now gives veterans 10% discounts only on 4th July, Memorial Day, Labor Day and Veterans Day. When veterans serve, they serve 365 days a year, not just on four holidays. Information out of our local office says HD gives veterans 10% discounts all year long. Since that's not true, your should stop promoting that idea, so you can make sales. For businesses like you and people like you that feel being a veteran doesn't count for much, or all you think is Thanks for serving. That's OK, just don't promote your Veterans BS so you can make a sales. There's plenty of other businesses that appreciate veterans.

• Tom says:

Interesting, which state are you in , I'm currently in Washington state and HD gives me the discount every time. A Veteran 21 years of service.

69. FMegna says:

I'm a Veteran living on Long Island, NY and only Lowes is kind enough to give a 10% discount year round. I shop at HomeDepot trying to use my VA card and was refused a discounton every purchase. It's an insult to us regular veterans who served our country

70. John says:

Went to Home Depot in Rogers AR today and asked for my 10% VA discount that they have widely advertized in the past. I was refused the discount because my Veteran picture ID did not state "Service related". I guess they have changed their policy (very quitely). I walked out but not before registering my complaint to the manager. The discount would have only amounted to $1.57 but since they are being sneaky and not letting people know that they have cut it out hoping that people will comtinue shopping there and feeling that Lowes had adopted the same policy…….I went down the street to Lowes and before doing my shopping, asked the customer service rep if they still gave the 10% discount to all veterans and showed my VA card to her. She said no problem & THANKED ME FOR MY SERVICE TO MY COUNTRY……I will never darken the orange box again….. all my business will go to LOWES who seems to be much more ethical in their dealings. I came home tonight and went thru my files and discovered that I have unfortunately spent in excess of $20K over the past 20 years at Home Depot ……No more, I cut up my HD card and will apply for a LOWES card tomorrow. Let me be clear- I'm not upset because they discontuned the discount- just in the manner that they tried to quietly sneak it by the public. I would encourage any veteran who shops at Home Depot to re-consider and go next door to Lowes.

71. Lowes in Buffalo NY area has never given me a problem with my id I make all high cost purchases with them. I stay away from HD at all costs have one at my back door but I drive eight miles farther to shop Lowes

72. BRO says:

Hey, never knew about hd discount till I seen/heard another vet use/ask for it. So far they still honor us here in cali, except for sale/marked downs and lumber(osb, drywall, etc) for some reason; they used to offer the discount on lumber? Who knows/ I looked for their policy online, if there, it is sure hidden well. If they offer a vet discount and I am shopping there anyway, hell yes I want it with thank- Big Red One

73. craig says:

the home depot military discount is a confusing issue. within the last six months i moved to the pensacola area. where i moved from there was never a question as to whether i rated the discount. i showed my va card and i received the discount. from looking at the age of some of these comments, the discount has been available much longer than i have been using it. i never did anything to deserve it and if it is revoked, so be it. but my only issue is if home depot wants to wave the flag and say we support the military and get the advertisement for supporting the military by telling in big ads in the newspaper that we give discounts to all military personnel, just do it. when i first arrived in the pensacola, i regularly received the discount for all of the products i was buying to renovate an older house i had bought. but as time went by i was frequently told that i didn't have the proper id to rate the discount. now that i have the proper discount, i am told that everything i buy is not on the discount list. would like to find the list, but guess it is kept in the same vault with the keebler cookie recipe, my deceased mother's chocolate fudge recipe and the list of reasons people think the obamacare program will work. when i suggest home depot discontinue their discount program, it is because it has outlived it's original purpose and the very people that it was designed to recognize are now made to feel as if they are trying to steal something. thanx home depot for your recognizing us for our years of service and our disabilities we received as a result of that service. far too many of us were spit upon when returning from vietnam, because we were part of an unpopular conflict. it is time to throw in the towel and discontinue the discount policy. home depot management got caught up in the flag waving frenzy created by those in the government that never served in the military and were trying to make themselves appear to be patriots. once again, home depot, get back to the basics and stop waving a flag for those that are costing you too much money to honor. if the discount policy is creating an unstable financial condition at home depot, kill the policy. we're still going to buy your products and there will be no reason to insult the vets that try to get the discount and there will be less stress by the no longer useful policy. craig

74. Tre says:

Home Depot told me that they were not giving military discounts on lumber and they said they don't give it on air conditioners either.at least not at the one on Lynnhaven pkwy in Va beach.

75. john fogg says:

My opinion in reference to the VA 10% discounts you owe me nothing but when you start a program and then make changes it does not sit well with some. It only creates confusion among employees and customers. Just think when one store your competitor excepts that 10% where is your business going? One by one you make your customers and one by you loose them. Policies can be broken without recourse in some cases. CEOs are not Ivan you store Managers have to make the last calls in all transactions. So put your big boy pants on profits are profits no matter how small. The reason you got the job is that they felt, as appointing you to store manager you could handle all aspects in running the store! Sometimes you have to make sacrifices for example if you were my platoon leader and had to make a call in losing ten men in order to save 200 what would you do? Sometimes it's hard in making judgment calls but needs to be done. If you were my store manager id have to let you go for lack of judgement in satisfying all concerned. Your job is to put out directives and make your employees understand your policies and that you make the final calls in your store. This will avoid confrontation with customers and you will have satisfied customers who will return. In summation just ponder over this where would you be today if these great men who sacrificed there lives in order for you to get where your at today less we forget.

76. Daniel says:

I am 60% service connected, I have purchased from HD for about 20 years with no problem on 10% discount. Today I bought 1/2 PVC pipe and connector to find out I was refused the 10%. Unemployed for the longest hoping to save when buying supplies for the home. HOME DEPOT SUCKS. We all should boycott them and shop elsewhere.

77. Donald Lewis says:

Home Depot and Lowe's will not accept a Ma. Drivers License that says Veteran on it for the 10% percent discount. My own experience.

78. Paul Ray says:

I don't understand why Home Depot denies military discount to past veterans who served less than full retirement. Our service served to keep this country free. If we had not served there might not be a Home Depot and we might be bowing to mr putin Think about that.

Next why do we need to ask for the discount when we use the Home Depot credit card. At Lowes it is automatic when I swipe the Blue Card.I would never expect to receive both veterans and the 5% on the same transaction

79. Josh says:

You clearly have no idea what we are paid and what our expenses are. Our pay is pretty low by comparison to civilian jobs. It was my choice to volunteer to serve during a time of war and that included a pay cut from my civilian job. Granted, we do get BAH but we also pay out of pocket to serve in the military. My expenses over the last 6 months have been well over $3000.00. Not to mention that many of us are taken away from our families for extended periods of time. Every time I want to see my wife and newborn child it costs me over $200.00. That money is paid so I can complete my mission. My mission is to serve the United States and yes, you Gary. Obviously, these economic times are difficult for a great many of us, but we are not immune to economic downturn simply because we serve in the military. I recommend that you try to do a bit more research before you espouse about the fairness of our economic situation.

80. russ says:

If you think it is all gravy…man up, put your pants on and sign up and do the time!!! You will be singing a different tune after a deployment or two.

81. Retired 8404 says:

You always have the option of not complaining about what discounts the military receives and join the military to enjoy the perks the military has to offer you like 3-15% discounts at some retail stores, BAH, BAS, and a paycheck so small that if you did not receive BAH, and BAS you would fall below the federal poverty line unless you are high ranking. Lets not mention the added perks of free airfare to the most talk about places on earth (Yemen, Iraq, Afghanistan, Cuba, etc) top notch meals (which can re-hydrated with minimal amounts of water), and frequent long vacations (from your family and loved ones) etc. What you fail to realize is that even those military personnel that sit in an office pushing papers, or providing medical care in a hospital to retirees have to be ready and prepared to be deployed at a moments notice. So they may work a a regular 9 hour day in an office but their job also requires 2-3 hours of training in the morning. A 1 hr lunch (45 min pt 15 min to shower& eat), duty watches or training ops after their 9hr day, mandatory community service, long.periods of field and combat training (because u don't your freedom to complain without reparations or our country's safety to be left to a bunch of regular desk jockeys with no military & weapons training). That being said SIGN UP & SHIP OUT or simply do not offer the discount at your establishment, To say that they are not deserving is appalling! And when all is said and done those military troops that did not go to combat are still left with the trauma of seeing the widows, kids bodies of those that use to work right beside you, run right next to, and train along side you. I'm not saying we deserve a discount but definitely your respect & appreciation. Especially when difficult times all times are difficult times for military families!!!!!!!!!!!

82. guest says:

Whine on, Gary…the ever-present entitlement mentality rears its ugly head again. I spent 23 years away from home, in two different periods of duty; had 25 addresses, from the end of Vietnam through the 2nd Iraqi conflagration. I ended up back at home disabled, with mother, step-father, grandparents, brother all dead, from serving a populace that often despised our way of life if not our existence, unless we were dying for them in a popular war.

Is the 10% that HD etc. 'cheats' you out of really going to put you back on easy street? And you claim your tax dollars pay discounts at HD and other businesses? Care to explain how that works?

Finally, there's always a recruiter close by…join up, or send one of your children, so you can join the ranks of all the freeloading military living the good life on the 10% GRAVY TRAIN.

</sarcasm> </eyes rolling>

83. Zeke says:

You want to deny a military veteran a discount?Well that does put you in a
    Certain class that is for sure.Im damn glad I don't belong in your class
    Zeke—–Ex US Army

84. Mike says:

Well said! Nam vet

85. Ken Wilson says:

Right on! Sign up and pay your dues like we did!

86. Discount Terms says:

The discount is available everyday to active military service members and their spouses, as well as National Guard and reserve, retiree and disabled service members and their spouses. We do ask for one of the following IDs: Common Access Card (CAC); Veteran’s Identification Card (VIC – Must state “Service Connected” for the everyday discount); Uniformed Services ID Card (Tan, Red or Blue).

Read more: http://paycheck-chronicles.military.com/2011/05/0
    The Paycheck Chronicles

87. Nam Vet says:

Be grateful that you have a job and can read. If it was not for us combat vets that can't produce your require ID becauce we escaped being physically and mentally wounded, you just might be living in a country that won't let you have either your job or education. Your comment is an insult to the many who served their country faithfully while many sherd theirs.
    Sempre Fi

88. Larry says:

This stinks. I spent 4 years active duty in the 50's and 60's but have no picture ID. I have a neighbor who spent 2 weeks active and somehow managed to keep his ID and gets discount. The discount should apply to anyone with a DD214 or apply to active duty only. Having a VA card doesn't mean disabled.

89. Richard says:

Joe , you do get the discounts, since you don't use VA benefits you don't have a VA card. just take a copy of your DD214. I reduced mine and laminated it. You will get discounts on July 4th, Memorial Day, Labor Day and Veteran’s Day at Lowe' and Home Depot. Some give the discount everyday, but you need to check with the individual store.

90. dadda321 says:

"If it was not for us combat vets that can't produce your require ID…"

Nam Vet, If a police officer ask for your DL when he pulls you over you need to have one, not a passing score on a drivers test. While it would be nice if all estabilshments gave us a discount it just isn't going to happen.

I wouldn't get my feahters ruffled over this comment after all it is why I serve, which as you pointed out in your post as well. To ensure freedoms for future genrations.

Moreover what makes us entitled to a discount? I mean how much is enough, when will the "give me more" stop?

91. Mark says:

NO matter what the problem is you should have reported the rude employee to the manager. In my past job Home depot was one of my customers and I know they have a zero tollerance for rudeness to customers

92. lester harmon says:

i went to home depot to buy a water heater , gave them my veterans id card , they would not honor it, went to lowes no trouble getting 10% off,

93. Browne says:

Alot of frustration is the fact that they only want to recognize someone that was disabled during there time not just because they served there time and honorably discharged . To me it was almost a sales ploy at first to give you the discount and get you in the store then later on say no only holidays for certain Vets??????????

94. Gratefull says:

A few greedy will remove the vaule and it will diappear… If you want a vet discount become a vet…

95. KateKashman says:

Mr or Ms. Heilig, I find your understanding and attitude refreshing. You have obviously actually read the criteria and respect the private corporation's choice to make the rules. I understand that the stores are not applying the policy in a consistent manner, and that is frustrating. I don't think it excuses the demanding and entitled attitude I've seen in many comments, and it absolutely doesn't excuse the self-reported verbal abuse by some veterans who somehow think that they deserve a discount. Their behavior is embarrassing and makes all veterans look bad.

96. Alfred says:

Guest,
    you spent 23 years straight away from home? Really?

97. Alfred says:

Merrell, The discounts are not mandatory and Mr. Wilb is correct.