Update To Government Shutdown Plans

Well, I am speechless.  Nearly.  There are a few bad words that come to mind.

I’ve just read a draft of a report detailing the planning for a possible government shutdown, and it states that military pay would be held up until the situation is resolved.  This is in direct conflict with the previous information that was being disseminated.  I’m torn:  do I believe the new report, or do I think that someone has lost their mind?  Personally, I’m going to plan for the worst and hope for the best.  This could result in a lot of hardships for military families around the world.  And, don’t forget, it does not seem as if this is an official document, but just a draft.

This report also says that military commissaries might close, but they may stay open.  That is super helpful for planning, huh?

Other services that may be affected include:

• Child Development Centers will remain open
  • Gyms and dining facilities will remain open
  • Medical and dental will remain open, but some elective procedures may be postponed
  • Recruiting will continue, and new troops will continue to be processed and go to basic training
  • Military exchanges should remain open

The current continuing resolution is set to expire on 17 March 2011.  There is a bill in the House of Representatives to further extend government funding without passing a budget. The House and Senate have agreed on a bill to fund the government for an extra three weeks, and it will go to vote early next week.

Update 3/14/2011: Apparently last’s week anticipated agreement to an additional continuing resolution may have been a bit premature. It seems possible that a continuing resolution will not be passed. I’m not exactly sure how to word it so that I can be adequately vague, but it is anyone’s guess at this point.

Update 3/16/2011:  The continuing resolution did pass the House yesterday.  It must pass the Senate and be signed by the President in order to become a law.  Most political analysts are anticipating that the resolution will be complete before the current continuing resolution expires, but there are a few people who think there is a chance that the Senate might not pass the bill.  Again, we wait and see.

Update 3/17/2011:  The continuing resolution has passed the Senate.  It must be signed by the President in order to become law.  This new temporary spending bill will expire on 8 April 2011.

Update 3/18/2011:  The president has signed the continuing resolution and it is now law.

About the Author

Kate Horrell
Kate Horrell is a military financial coach, mom of four teens, and Navy spouse. She has a background in taxes and mortgage banking, and a trove of experience helping other military families with their money. Follow her on twitter @realKateHorrell.

46 Comments on "Update To Government Shutdown Plans"

1. lovingclarity | March 12, 2011 at 12:48 pm |

they've bought a little time. At least this will ensure 4/1 checks go out… after that, who knows.

2. Insted of stopping the military pay they should just stop thier own pay. This is not the time to stop military pay with our country still at war. Protect our military.

3. And who asked the Pentagon to draft this report? Democrats perhaps? The crybabies that whine like a kid who got his toy taken away when someone tells them to stop spending money? Thanks for adding fuel to the fire by believing this drivel.

4. How about stop giving money who don't do squat for it and continue to give it to those who work their butts off for it.

5. The reason command is not giving notice of a possible ‘no pay due’ is that there is not a possible ‘no pay due’. Any government shutdown involves the general budget. The military is not funded by the general budget. Democrats are drama queens (males included). Any more questions?

6. if they stop paying the military then i dont think we will have anymore military. no one wants to work for free

7. This is very upsetting my husband is currently serving in iraq at the moment , and i heard about this issue from a friend of mines today. I say forget the military i want him to get out. This is outrageous if you ask me. Because they are over there serving in a dangerous place than you have us, the wife and kids over here already worried about their safety, now have to worry about them doing it all for nothing. I been thought it was a waste of time and ignorent from day one then this happens, The military isnt what it used to be and never will. My husband needs to get out after this deployment for sure

8. This is all to say the least 'rediculous', my Husband has done his 4 years in the Military, He deployed to Afghanistan and with only 2 weeks left before he gets discharged. They are now telling us that the Military pay might get cut for 3 or more months.
    What else will they do to make 'hard working people and their families lives' anymore of a struggle for them.
    How about we stop this rediculous man hunt in Afghanistan for this Man we all know we'll never find, bring our men and women home and use all those $$Millions$$ of Dollars on helping the people that need it the most.
    I can bet that the Government Officials pay will stay exactly where it is!!!!!!!

9. I give up on you people. Believe what you want, I'll leave it at that. For those pushing their spouses to leave the military, that's fine too–plenty more where they came from. One thing I learned from this 'blog' is that there are a lot of gullible people who believe democrat propaganda. I guess that's how they get elected. Good to know.

10. Hiya,
    Yoiu are correct, and I have seen, sadly, my fair share of spouses that do take advantage…in many ways, so I do understand where you are coming from! :) For us, it has just been one move after another (I did move home during deployment to save $$ on rent, and saved up some $$$ during that time)…and have saved a few $$ from taxes, although a good chunk I did use to pay down a few bills…but moving is expensive, no two ways about it.

11. Not HennyPenny | March 15, 2011 at 11:03 am |

Don't Panic! I shouldn't be so surprised that people can over-react based on a rumor. As Daniel stated, military pay is not tied into the congressional maneuvering that may result in a Federal Civilian Employee furlough. Do a little research to find out what could be affected before getting upset, wringing your hands, and declaring that the sky if falling.
    If a budget or stop-gap bill isn't passed, non-essential federal workers may be furloughed (i.e a few days off work without pay), and Congress won’t be able to pass any new appropriations bills. Federal salaried employees will likely see no interruption in their payments, though hourly or contract workers may see temporary pay freezes since they will not be working. If a shutdown occurred it would probably only affect 40% of federal employees, who are funded by the appropriations legislation that Congress is trying to renew. New social security claims for newly retired persons and IRS tax refunds would be delayed because federal workers aren't on the job. For the most part, military personnel remain on the job and continue to be paid. Civilian, contract and consulting workers would have to stop working and hence would not be paid, although using the 1995 furlough as an example, those who are furlough could get back pay once this budget game is resolved.
    And yes, I agree, Congress should point a finger at themselves because they have been allowed to consider themselves to be an elite class that is immune to the consequences of their own actions. Their days of working for the people are a fading memory.

12. Rachelle G.Navy Wife | March 15, 2011 at 12:27 pm |

I love that none of the "wives" want to post their real names. Anyway, I agree with Daniel and "Not HennyPenny" in that you really can't panic right now. If you want to get the real story, search for it. There was a rumor going around in November about Obama wanting to cut military pay…put a "freeze" on our pay…it's on snopes as a LIE. Everything you all are reading is a DRAFT. It's not set in stone. I think if this was all true and going to happen you would see it on navy.com or BUPERS or something similar to the other branches. (I'm former Navy and a Navy wife so no clue what the other sites are!) But relying on a blog, militarytimes.com or an opinionated source like these is ridiculous. We have a split floor right now. Lots of fire between the Republicans and the Dummycrats…I mean the Democrats.

13. i have a son in south korea and he told me about this and i didnt believe him untill i read this….i cant believe that we will stop paying the people that are fighting for our freedom.and then we have those people sitting in there big office doing nothng but pushing paper and they get to say how much they want to get payed.!!!! what is this country coming to….

14. annoyedandamazed | March 15, 2011 at 7:59 pm |

hey guys…. this just in. Read this one http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/03/15/congress.s
    It says they passed it 6 hours ago in the House but now it still has one more group to make it through. This is good news, but this still sucks not knowing much more

15. The Air force and Army times says a lot of things that turn out to be not true or are just rumors. I wouldn't hold a lot of creditability to either of those publications and you can ask any soldier in more than a day and he will say the same. Furthermore I'm tired of Military Wives acting like they know everything that happens in the military. Your spouse only tell you what they want you to hear and trust me they over play things all the time. Thankfully my wife doesn't fall prey to the common military wife persona. But perhaps it's because she spent 5 years in the French Army as a officer and knows what really goes on.

16. Let me make myself clear. So I don't hurt any feelings. I respect Military Wives very much for the extra stress they choose to take on with their spouse being in the Military. I know it's not easy and it take a strong women. However

17. you would be suprised on what they can do. go ahaed go AWOL no reson to keep paying you now just stay gone there is some more money for them not to spend. lets say 1,000 people say screw this thats about $2,400,000 more a month they dont have to pay out. talk about saving money. Its bad enough there not letting those who want to stay in and retire. oh look hes 10lbs over weight kick him out, then there is pts wtf is that all about.

18. Andrea Cvitanovic | March 17, 2011 at 10:02 pm |

wow this is outrages! my boyfriend is serving in Iraq right now and im pretty sure that everyone there will rebel and not work because it is not fair for them to risk their lives and not even get paid. they already dont get paid enough for their efforts but not getting paid at all is ridicolous!

19. Monisha Rolin | March 17, 2011 at 10:13 pm |

Its ridiculous ! If theyre gonna be over there not getting paid for something that they were sent over there to do, send OUR TROOPS HOME !

20. To all the spouses out there stop complaining about how you're not going to have any money coming into your household if we do not get paid. If you are truely worried about it go out and get a job. I've been reading the comments and you all have the same thing to say. "I cant find a job." Sounds to me like you all are taking advantage of your spouse and his/her income. I honestly think that any job is better than no job because that means there's some source of income coming into the house. If i wasnt in the navy myself and the only job i could find was bagging groceries at the local grocery store i damn sure would have that job..

21. Seebeemama, you made a good point in your last comment, re: the tsunami and those that lost everything–all the money in the world cannot replace loved ones.
    However, talk about painting all military spouses with a *wide* generalization, saying that spouses must be taking advantage if they are worred, and just "find a job." LOL..if it were that easy for some to just "find a job", then YOU should get a job in the Labor Dept., b/c apparently jobs are just soooo easy to come by, esp. if you are moving connstantly, and fill out apps. everywhere and nothing is to be had. Oh, right, according to your theory that doesn't matter, I forgot :/ Whatever *rolls eyes*….

22. Good news it doesnt include active duty….

23. The point is: we are all in different situations, and got in those situations in different ways. Military couple "A" will be affected differently than Military Couple "B" in case f a shutdown, rarely for identical reasons. This issue should not be about finger pointing and generalizations about what military spouses do or don't do, but rather hoping and watching to see is Congress et al. move forward with a budget for this yr., and those that put theri lives in harm's way get paid for a job that they put their blood, sweat, and tears into.

24. seabeemama | March 18, 2011 at 7:57 am |

im sorry if i upset you but i wasnt trying to start a debate. i'm not ignorant and i have walked a mile in ya'll shoes. i am a dual miltary family and chose this path beacause of the economy. it was a hard decision but like i said any money is better than no money. the point im tryin to make i guess is that we're getting paid regardless even if its a few days late we're gonna get our money either way so i honestly think people need to calm down. yes it is a crappy situation i will def agree to that but every downside has an upside right?

25. does this include reservists as well? My husband will be gone almost all of april for the reserves. Im a stay at home mom so his pay will be our income for most of the month. We have three kids to support.

26. Like others say, we will all get paid eventually and hopefully the budget passes before it comes to this anyway…..right now it's a bunch of "what ifs". Luckily we have a little money stashed ourselves, but we are a one income household. This isn't b/c I can't find a job, but bc I can't find one to pay enough in the hrs I need (myy husband is currently gone) to cover daycare for 3 toddlers. It was just as much his choice as mine for me to stay home in his absense. So as stated all families have different circumstances and just stay calm, don't judge, and hope the senate does their job SOON!! LOL everybody is different that's what makes this country so difficult :)

27. Army Wife Hooah | March 20, 2011 at 11:46 am |

Why would u want your husnabds/wifes to "get out of the army"? Your acting like its the Army's fault that our soliders amy not get paid. This is about setting a budget and making it work. Im a Republican and I agree with what they are trying to do in Congress and in the end….The Repbulicans will have to back down. Its the Repbilicans that stand behind our Miltary. So because your husbands are in Iraq and there's a crisis at home you want to jumpship…thats "redunlicoius" as my husband who is currently serving in Iraq proudly. He'll continue to do his job with or with out pay because he feels its his duty and us as Army wives have to pick up the slack. So stop whining and Duty First Ladies.

28. wow, so anyone think of civilian employees outside of the military. that work hard for their money and for their families too. i respect and support the military completely. but common, THEYRE not the only ones suffering from this, actually, theyre making it a point to keep the military'spay as consistant as possible, not ours for example at the social security office.

29. well i'm a service member been out for awhile came back in. I first enlisted in 1978 in the 80's we had a pay freeze. What must people arent seeing is that this is a global economy situation and the monies will not flow as in our earlier years hence "New world Order". Politicians democrats, republicans, independant what ever doesnt matter they all spend like theres no tomorrow.
    They had the signs decades ago and choose not to heed the warnings for every action theres an equal and opposite reaction. Now its just our time to pay period. Our deficit is so high and we have no gold or silver backing the dollar as most countries inflation will, well lets just say in the BIBLE revelations states a day wages we be the price for a loaf of bread (getting there) BIBLE also said GODS people will not go with out so wake up smell the coffee because this is only the beginning.

30. I forgot to add when i say God includes JESUS all i can say is for me he's been looking out for me for a long time time to buckle down to our forefathers beleifs they made it with Jesus so can we. Do the right thing

31. Ran_Out_of_loaves | March 22, 2011 at 12:43 am |

"I forgot to add when i say God includes JESUS all i can say is for me he's been looking out for me for a long time time to buckle down to our forefathers beleifs they made it with Jesus so can we. Do the right thing"

……..

oh brother–here we go!….. :0

32. If this government shutsdown this country will be open for a straight on nuclear attack

33. Obama is the anti-christ he probaly a commi stealing info to plan a attack thats why no ones gave up his birth certifacate

34. yes we should be prepared for the worst but everyones situation is different and unfortunately as someone who thought i was going to be able to save money while my husband is deployed in afghanistan i found out quickly that wasnt going to happen since he was unable to work his job due to predeployment training yet made a fourth the money if that while training and then once he deployed his pay wasnt right. so it turned into a try and catch up rather than having the ability to save. So now we are all caught up and still havent saved so the last thing we need is to not get paid. the idea of the military not getting paid is ridiculous!

35. futurecivilian | March 24, 2011 at 12:45 am |

Good thing that passed. like I’m gonna come to work without gettin paid, you can call me awol.

36. this is crappy I mean dang. I'm in the Army NG and the last thing I need is to wait even longer for a paycheck….If it comes

37. Bahrain sailors were told they wont see anything til the 15th of next month… Just saying

38. NavySailorSD | March 29, 2011 at 12:39 pm |

Passed to me from my YNC this morning: Unless Congress stops bickering by midnight on 7 April, we will NOT be getting paid on the 15th of April. We have been directed by our Commanding Officer that regardless of whether we get paid or not, it is still MANDATORY that we report to work. Additionally, the system used by PS's (Personnelmen for those of you not Navy) usually shows data this far out for the 15th paycheck of next month… it is currently BLANK…

Fact or not, rumor or not, the simple fact that I have to stress and worry and scramble to try to take care of not only my bills but those of my family living elsewhere (I'm a Geographical Bachelor) is beyond both cruel and ridiculous.

39. Logan Jenkins | March 30, 2011 at 6:58 pm |

I'm only an E-4 In the military 24 years of age , not meaning to step on any toes by any means, but If I can manage my money enough to go a little while w/out bills I'm sure some of you can… I don't mean like 6 months or anything crazy like that, the only reason I am writing is because blogs are almost a source of entertainment. Just reading what everyone has to say, gives me a chuckle, Americans irresponsible with money? no!!! ha ha ha

Logan Jenkins (Chair Force)

40. Logan Jenkins | March 30, 2011 at 9:17 pm |

The bill that was passed to go through the 8th of April does apply to Active duty and hired contractors :)

41. BB Johnson | April 5, 2011 at 10:02 am |

This might put some minds at ease IF anything were to happen. SCRA (Servicemembers Civil Relief Act), spouses this even includes YOU! This is basically a newer version of the SSCRA (Solider and Sailors Civil Relief Act of 1940).

42. keith alwardt | April 7, 2011 at 6:47 pm |

Im outraged with this plan on a goverment shutdown there is families world wide that will have no paycheck and I have a son to be born in less then seven weeks and im supposed to just not feed him or take care of my family?

43. navyseabee | April 8, 2011 at 8:34 am |

hate to break it to all of you… but as service members we have a duty to serve our country whether we are paid or not… as do all americans. i have been in for almost 9 years now, and ive seen alot happen. we all VOLUNTEERED to serve. was not forced. so yes if they wanna cut our pay they can and us work for free they can. no where in my contract does it guareentee a paycheck. i have a wife 2 little girls, and a little boy on the way. but im not worried. if the government is suppose to support my family, they would have issued me one. sorry everyone, but u dont see any active military on here complaining. so you shouldnt be either,,, i will keep on serving whether i get paid or not,, they give me 3 meals, a place to sleep, and clothes on my back.. it was my choice to take on all these other burdons, and my spouce when SHE CHOSE to marry me.

44. spc biddi | April 8, 2011 at 9:55 am |

Army – 538,128
    Navy – 332,832
    Marine Corps – 194,912
    Air Force – 328,439
    Total DoD – 1,394,311

Coast Guard – 42,331
    Coast Guard, National Guard, and Reserve were not counted in the total.

Counting all Reserve Component personnel to include the National Guard and Coast Guard, the total is roughly 2,420,236.

in such a hard economic time do we really need 2,420,236 people not getting paid. what they don't understand is that if we don't get paid none of the companies i.e phone companies, electric, gas, rent, food, auto, and any other essential commodities don't get paid either. if this does go through there needs to be some type of amnesty for the military people that will be unable to pay there bills. im in the army reserve and due to the economy i rely on my monthly drill pay in order to pay my bills. i do have another job but without my army pay i cannot pay my bills. you miss a bill interest is added, bills go up and you continue screwing us over. frankly i agree with cutting the pay for congress and the president. its bull that they are able to do this to us and yet have nothing to happen to them, besides they are all grossly over payed

45. pissed off | April 8, 2011 at 10:19 am |

you can tell that home boy

46. Still Here | April 8, 2011 at 10:35 am |

Is the government pay us interest on our pay for lateness. I am sure the banks are salivating at all the fees they are going to be collecting for late fess and such.

Comments are closed.