Navy Federal’s Statement Regarding Early Direct Deposit

February 04, 2011 | Kate Horrell

UPDATE:  Though I have not seen any release explaining this, it seems that NFCU has slightly altered the way that they are applying this policy.  Funds are being released early, but not necessarily on the first day that they show pending in the account.  Funds may still show as pending for several days before they are released.  Please do not try to spend that money while it is pending – I would hate for you to get into banking difficulties because of it.

I have received an answer from Navy Federal Credit Union regarding their new policy of depositing direct deposit funds early for members who have an Active Duty checking account.

For members with an Active Duty Checking Account
Effective 23 January, a new feature was implemented for Active Duty Checking accounts. Early posting of direct deposit will enable members to receive certain direct deposits early. Upon receiving the direct deposit from eligible pay offices, funds will be released and made available immediately instead of waiting until the entry date provided. The eligible pay offices are DFAS , US Treasury, II MEF Disbursing, III MEF Disbursing, US Coast Guard-Treasury and US Coast Guard-Academy.
Navy Federal does not control when the paying agency submits their files but past experience has shown that they are usually submitted at least one day before the actual “pay day”.
Please remember that military pay can post on different days because we receive multiple files from DFAS including special pay, active regular pay, reserve duty pay, etc. For Active Duty Checking accounts, as long as the file reaches the Federal Reserve by 1400 ET, funds will post during nightly batch processing (anytime between midnight and 0600 ET).

Posting Cycle for All Other Direct Deposits
For all other paying agencies and account types, direct deposits are posted as of the funding date designated by that agency. In the case of most military pay, this date will the 1st or 15th of the month, or the preceding business day if the 1st or 15th falls on a weekend or holiday.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let us know if you have any additional questions.

I find this so unsatisfactory.  Now people will have no idea what day they are getting paid, and I can already imagine families anticipating pay earlier, then receiving it closer to the actual payday, and getting into a bind.   In my opinion, this is a really bad policy and I wish they would change it.  There are going to be times when people get their pay particularly early one pay period, then not so early the next pay period, and it is going to make the long times even longer.  But that is just my opinion.

Comments

1. chris says:

This is rediculace i have Navy federal and i for one can manage my money and now that i have no clue when the pay hits i can only guess that its going to be there by the 1st or the 15th why do they change this since they did this there should be a calendar for when dfas drops regualar payments to make it easier for everyone with a active duty acount to make plans and help budget there weekends.

Pruett, SGT

United States Marine Corps

2. Kat USMC says:

You are all stupid! Why not just PLAN for it to arrive ON the 1st and 15th. If you get it 3 days early then GREAT! But dont EXPECT it or start using it until the Actual PAYDAY!!!… Problem solved!
    How can you complain about getting money sooner than later???…
    why not just try being responsible and budgeting, instead of blowing all the money on day 1?

3. John says:

The issue is the inconsistancy this policy will cause. For example 15 Feb 2011 falls on a Tuesday. I typically would expect funds on that day or maybe the day prior. However, this pay period is posting 9 Feb 2011. Six days ahead of schedule. The next pay could be as much as 20 days away. That makes for a long pay period when you have a family with 5 kids. It will take getting you used to. I just think they should keep things the way the were. What was the issue prompting this change?

4. ktkat says:

How about a budget people? Are you planning on spending more because you got paid earlier? It's the same amount! Pay your bills on the 1st and 15th as usual. What's the big deal? Sounds like some people are counting on the bank to be their babysitter.

5. andrew enriquez says:

dont live paycheck to paycheck and u wont need to know when u get paid just be surprised when ur bank account grows

6. Dave says:

Pay cycles for 2011. Based off the past two release dates from NavyFed, it looks like funds are released 4 days after the pay cycles. Hope this helps.

24-Jan-11
    6-Oct-11
    19-Oct-11
    7-Nov-11
    22-Nov-11
    8-Dec-11
    21-Dec-11

I'm curious where you are coming up with these dates, Dave? The last two release dates for NFCU pay to Active Duty Checking accounts were 27 January and 10 February (for most, but not all, people.)

• jamie says:

if you read his post it says 4 days after the pay cycle, so 4 days after your les comes out (which the dates he posted are when your les comes out) so count 4 daty after your les comes out (the dates above)and you will be getting paid.

• Mel says:

well, the one for Feb 22 did not happen!!!! Just letting you know!

• jamie says:

thanks dave!
      TO ALL: if you read his post it says FUNDS ARE RELESED 4 days after the pay cycle, so 4 days after your les comes out (which the dates he posted are when your les comes out) so count 4 daty after the dates above (your les dates) and you will be getting paid.

7. Mea says:

anyone get payed today? I didnt

8. KateKashman says:

Please, everyone – payday is not until Tuesday, the first of March. IF you get paid early, it is just that: EARLY. Please do not make yourself crazy looking for your pay to be deposited nearly a week before payday.

9. skip says:

Okay lemme try and explain this! Navy federal sent all active duty members a message stating that we will be payed a DAY earlier. If you follow your pay and take notes you will have noticed that anytime the 1st or 15th fell on a Monday we would get payed the previous friday. Why? Our pay with Navyfederal (I don’t know about USAA, etc) pays us at 12 a.m. Eastern time. It sometimes can take up to 30 minutes to post. Now the bank is closed on the weekend which makes a Monday payout impossible and since navyfed can only be early or on time, they have no choice but to pay out on a Friday. Now the last time we got payed febuary 15th fell on a Tuesday. Soooo we add the day early now its Monday, well we can’t pay out Monday so it comes on the next available day which is Friday. I live in cali so with the time zone difference feels like I got paid Thursday night at 9 p.m. now I’m not sure if the pattern is follow but if I could put my money where my mouth is i’d haft to say check your accounts tonight depending on what time zone your in. (Eastern time 12:30 a.m.) (Central time 11:30 p.m.) (Mountain time 10:30 p.m.) (Pacific time 9:30 p.m.) now I could be wrong I’m of course just going of from past payment methods from navyfed and the message I got 2 weeks ago that we will be getting paid a day early from now on. If I’m wrong I’m wrong and I apologize.

10. Cynthia says:

So I just got on my navy federal & my check is pending right now, it says it will release the funds tomorrow. Hope this helps!

11. Nick says:

My deposit is pending above my account but states that it will post on the 28th and be available the next day. I called and they said that the funds will be available on the 28th. Being that the 28th is a Monday and banks do not make funds available on Mondays, I think the phone call was a waste of time. I will just wait and see what happens. No matter what, I will still have funds available on the 1st.

12. MostlyMisha says:

I got a notice from NFCU like Skip did~ it states that in order for NFCU to be better equip to gauge what day early direct deposit will take place the Active Duty checking perk has now been changed to just ONE DAY early (in which case if that falls on a Tuesday you'll get it Saturday because NFCU doesn't do posting from the weekend until Monday at midnight so Monday doesn't count as a day you can see a deposit go in). So~ better able to plan now. :) I guess they got a lot of complaints.

13. Mea says:

i just dont understand why everyone gets payed on different days

14. Mea says:

ok so my bank says it will be available the day after the post date and the post date is 2/25/11 so that means im getting payed on a saturday?

• Sarah says:

I live in California so Navy Fed updates for me at about 9-9:30pm tonight so that's when pay will go in, mine is also pending 2/25/11

Mea, Navy Federal will process these postings overnight, tonight (2/25/11) and will be finished posting by 6 am. You will have access to the funds on Saturday.

It doesn't mean you are getting paid on Saturday. It is still Tuesday's pay, but Navy Federal has chosen to process the deposit early.

15. Mel says:

No actually it is usually 9:00pm west coast time the day it is it is being pending for. So, 2/25 at 9pm west coast time…. I hope that helps!

16. chris says:

Hey morons…what they are saying is they are not going to hold onto your money until the first or the 15th but instead give it to you ASAP. I realize the military is taking people without a high school diploma now and it is definitely starting to show. If you have a problem with being paid early just pretend you get paid on the first and the 15th.

Sgt USMC

17. Jack says:

Wow so you are a Sgt in usmc. Haha dude your are too cool

18. SHAY says:

I LIKE IT POINT BLANK ITS NOT THAT YOU DONT NO WHEN YOU ARE GETTING PAID YOU ARE JUST GETTING PAID 2 DAYS EARLY WHATS WRONG WITH THAT PPL YOU WILL NO THAT OF COURSE UR MONEY IS GOING TO BE THERE BY THE 15 SO WHY SHOULD THAT CHANGE ANYTHING ON UR BILLS ..I LOVE IT NAVY FEDERAL ….

19. Cpl Ramirez says:

log on to your account and go to other services on the tab up top , click on change checking account type and its self explainitory from there .. i just did that ..

20. Holly says:

Clap clap clap…. THANK YOU! Not only are some of these people complaining about something in their control, but their stupidity is clear when they can't even spell correctly in their posts! In reality, it is poor planning on the member's part. Kudos to your post!

21. holly says:

…AND since when has the military done anything that made sense or was consistent?! If you're in the military you should know this! :)

22. Disabled Vet says:

Quit acting like a bunch of boots. who cares if you get your paycheck a day early. its comments like the ones above that give the usmc a bad name.

23. Guest says:

ba-boom man. I think this is exactly why NFCU would do it, so many of my Marines are going out every Friday and blowing money they won't have until monday or tuesday and it costs them an arm and a leg in overdraft fees and interest. Hats off to NFCU for thinking of the little guys and what seems like and insignificance to the rest of the world.

24. kaydiste says:

Wow… it amazes me that the people who leave these comments criticizing other people actually follow the whole thread, even after realizing they don’t agree. Get a life you pompous turds!

25. kengut says:

if you dont like the way they do it dont get active duty checking account and even if you do live paycheck to paycheck dont assume you are going to get paid early just plan for the 1st and the 15th and if you still cant do that then maybe your just living outside your means and need to rethink your finances.

26. Josh says:

It's garbage because sometimes I go 3 weeks without being paid. You will get some checks early and others late. Total garbage!

27. Eric says:

The Dfas system deposits half of all service members checks earlier than others. dont know why, this is some get paid early and some dont.

28. Bates says:

For early pay it is simple. You budget for the 1st and the 15th regardless of how early you get paid. Solved all my issues with it.

29. caleb says:
  30. ydoucare says:

Stop reproducing!!!!!

31. Joe shapiro says:

WOW, Ur so right I don't understand why people can't go with it and not find things to make complaints. My check is usually early and never late so what's to worry about. just wait to the 1st and `15th if that bothers anyone. Life is short enjoy it. JHS

32. KateKashman says:

Thanks, Bobbo…I've got the link here: http://paycheck-chronicles.military.com/2012/04/2… This post was written before that calendar was offered on the NFCU website :)