Navy Federal Offers Early Direct Deposit for Active Duty Checking

January 27, 2011 | Kate Horrell

Update 4 February 2011:  I have received a statement from Navy Federal regarding their early direct deposit policies.  Basically, they will release direct deposit of military pay to Active Duty checking accounts on the day that they receive the information from DFAS.  This may occur on different days each month, but it is always by the actual payday.  Not very helpful for planning purposes.  You can read the complete statement at Navy Federal’s Statement Regarding Early Direct Deposit.

A reader recently told me that Navy Federal Credit Union (NFCU) is going to offer early release of active duty direct deposit pay funds for customers who have an Active Duty checking account.  I’ve done a little research and was unable to find great answers, but I did learn a little.

According to the account details page, one of the benefits of an Active Duty checking account is “Early posting of qualifying Military Direct Deposit.”  This is a new addition to the lineup of benefits of an already great account.  While I was in my local branch yesterday, there was a commercial on the television monitor talking about this new benefit.  Unfortunately, the monitor was a wide-screen model, and the advertisement was formatted for a regular screen.  As a result, I couldn’t read the bottom line that appeared to talk about what “early posting” might mean.   Does it mean as soon as they receive the information from DFAS (as a reader suggested) or does it mean one day early, a la USAA?

Of course, I asked the member services representative.  She was completely unhelpful.  At first, she didn’t know what I was asking.  We both sat there, watching the monitor, hoping that the same advertisement would come up again.  Wouldn’t you know, it would not come up again.  Eventually, she started searching the internet and basically reading off the information on the account details page.  After I refused to be happy with that answer, she stated that rather than showing as Pending for a few days, the deposit would be available on midnight of the night that it showed up as pending.  I then asked if that meant that basically everyone would get their pay three to five days early (that is when mine usually shows up as pending.)   She then decided that couldn’t be correct and emailed her supervisor (in the next office over.)

While we waited for a response from her supervisor, we continued to watch the monitor and the same advertisement never appeared.  I was starting to give up hope of ever getting a straight answer when she got a return email from her supervisor stating that direct deposits of active duty military pay would be available one day early.

I still wasn’t completely satisfied that this was a correct response, so I sent a message to NFCU via my account yesterday.  I haven’t yet gotten an answer but I will let you know when I do.  In the meantime, I do not have a deposit or a pending deposit in my account.  I don’t think this means much as that would be ridiculously early for a Tuesday payday.  However, one reader is reporting that she has already seen the deposit of her husband’s pay.  I don’t have details, so I don’t know if it is definitely for sure his January end-of-month pay, but it is an interesting development.

I will update as I learn more, but for now, I won’t be surprised by whatever might happen with this pay.

UPDATE:  It is 4 pm on Thursday, January 27, and my account now states that my husband’s pay is pending deposit today.   This is crazy.  I already have bjillions of readers who have no idea when payday is, and now they will be even more confused.

Comments

1. mary says:

Kate,

Did you already have Active Duty Checking?

2. mommacrstl says:

mine says pending to post on 1/31/11 available on 2/1/11

3. Jessica says:

has anyone ever got their pay 2 days early? My husband and I cant remember if thats hapened before for us on a non holiday weekend.

4. Jessica says:

USAA here.

5. A. Webb says:

my husbands pay hit today. I thought it was very odd.

6. just wondering says:

I hope Usaa gets paid tomorrow we need to move!

7. Kat says:

Our pay shows up as posted tonight [[27th]] available tomorrow :)

8. Jessica says:

i hope usaa get paid tomorrow too, i wanna see my hubby!!!!!

9. Brian says:

I dont this USAA gets paid until Monday

10. neil says:

when does usaa get paid?

11. hmc says:

Navy Federal. I got paid tonight!

12. britt says:

I have Usaa and still havent gotten paid, anybody know the exact date they are going to pay us?

Britt, I would imagine that USAA is going to release the funds on Monday. Payday is Tuesday, and they pay one day early.

I'm still waiting for an official answer from my USAA people but at this point it seems fairly obvious what the answer will be.

13. usaf4us says:

USAA stated that our pay would be posted Monday.

14. Michael Bonner says:

If you have Active Duty Checking as your primary deposit, you will receive the funds when a normal Checking account states deposit pending. This is another benefit of Active duty. So if you would normally get paid monday night (tuesday being payday) you will get paid Thursday night, if you have Active Duty checking you will now always have extra money for the weekend. God Bless America.

15. Ashley says:

We got paid from NFCU on yesterday the 27th and I had called and they said that its a new things they are doing for active duty members with direct deposit.

16. jon casey says:

I talked to usaa and they said no one gets paid tell monday. Goodluck

17. Renae says:

I have Navy Fed and got paid this morning. I was wondering what the random deposit was haha.

18. Paul says:

why does mine say post date jan 31st and i didnt get paid early like everyone else and i have navy federal and im an active duty member

Paul, what sort of checking account. The early direct deposit is only a benefit for members who have an Active Duty checking account. If you have any of their other accounts (Basic, e-Checking, Flagship, or Campus), then early direct deposit isn't a benefit of that account.

Each account offers different pros and cons, but for most active duty members, the Active Duty checking account is the best choice.

19. Amanda says:

My husbands pay still hasn’t hit and it’s 0130…needless to say I was very ****** and still am, because we share my car and he gets it tomorrow. I was all ready to check out at walmart an hour ago and waited, and waited, and waited, constantly checking the balance till I finally had enough at 1245 and went back out to my car empty handed. I checked a few more times until the clock hit 110 am, and still nothing. I know this isn’t about the topic, but I just needed to vent and wondered why we haven’t gotten paid yet?

Please, email me If you have ideas. (I saw it pending yesterday and day before)

20. ToddP says:

NFCU Active Duty Checking accounts get paid the day prior to the “military pay day” (1st/15th).

So if the 1st/15th falls on a weekend/monday holiday you would get paid on Thurs (because “normal” NFCU accounts would get paid on Friday).

If the 1st/15th fall on a Wed you would get paid Tue. (“normal” NFCU accounts would get paid on Wed)

i.e. they get paid the same as USAA

21. Mel says:

And If you Dont like it posting early move it to an everyday checking and it will go back to it was before!!! Just for your info!!!