More State Veterans Bonuses

Spurred by the amazing response to my State Veterans Bonuses article, I have spent the week researching more state programs and found two additional state programs:

Iowa:  offers a Vietnam Conflict Veterans Bonus.

• Must have served at least 120 days between July 1, 1973, and May 31, 1975
  • Payment of $17.50 per month for service in the Vietnam service area.
  • Payment of $12.50 per month for service outside of the Vietnam service area.
  • Maximum payment of $500.

For more information, see the Iowa Department of Veterans Affairs Vietnam Conflict Veterans Bonus page.

Massachusetts: offers a variety of bonus program for veterans of most recent conflicts, including World War II, Korean War, Vietnam War, Persian Gulf War, and the Global War on Terror.

• World War II:  $100 payment for one day to six months active service, $200 payment for six months or more stateside service, and $300 payment for foreign service.
  • Korean War:  $100 payment for one day to six months active service, $200 payment for six months or more stateside service, and $300 payment for foreign service.
  • Vietnam War:  $200 payment for six months or more active duty service, and $300 payment for service in Vietnam.
  • Persian Gulf War:  for service of 30 days or more between August 2, 1990 to April 10, 1991; outside the Persian Gulf area, $300 payment, in the Persian Gulf area and awarded the Southwest Asia Service Medal, $500 payment
  • Global War On Terror:  $1000 for a deployment to Afghanistan or Iraq, $500 for 6 months of active duty service outside of Afghanistan or Iraq (not including National Guard or Reserve training) and additional $500 bonus for subsequent deployments to Afghanistan or Iraq.

For more information, see the Massachusetts Department of Veterans’ Services main Bonus page.

I have been unable to locate any bonus information for Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.  If you know of any programs in these states, please share in the comments.

However, every state offers a variety of benefits to their veteran population.  I am compiling a list but it is a big job because there is so much out there.  Check back for more information soon.

For Alabama, Illinois, New Hampshire, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Dakota and West Virginia, please see the original State Veterans Bonus page.

About the Author

Kate Horrell
Kate Horrell is a military financial coach, mom of four teens, and Navy spouse. She has a background in taxes and mortgage banking, and a trove of experience helping other military families with their money. Follow her on twitter @realKateHorrell.

37 Comments on "More State Veterans Bonuses"

1. Wisconsin has great Veterans' benefits.

Check this out:

2. Jennifer Hall | September 17, 2010 at 5:30 pm |

Here is the link for the Georgia Department of Veterans Service:

3. It is most interesting to find a few states have compassion for what a vet gives up to protect this country from those who would harm us.

Any state that demonstrates an uncaring attitude

should suffer the result of their uncaring.

As for COLORADO too much graft goes on for that state to give a D#@%& about any vet or even taxpayers. GREED drives Colorado's politico's.

4. It is refreshing to learn a few states appreciate their vets.Thos who do not should suffer for their unconcern.

COLORADO is too GREEDY to have compassion for anyone. A tax hungry state whose politicians only

think of themselves. Who knows where all our taxes go.No road repairs. No checks and balances.

Do they deserve the protection provided by the veteran?

5. Where is Kentucky on this agenda????

6. WILBERT DIGGS | October 5, 2010 at 11:54 am |

Did NorthCarolina give the bonus i went from there

7. L. Lawrence | January 5, 2011 at 12:03 pm |

What about Virginia? Do they now or have they ever given a vet. bonus?

8. California?

9. Anyone has anything for Florida?

10. Bill (ohio) | March 11, 2011 at 12:53 pm |

Vet Bonus program is probably funded federally after all anyway so whats the problem? Fed doesn't want involved because of what it would cost so individ state VA's allocate federal funds somehow to come up with bonuses for vets. Good idea, nice thought, but if ALL Vets don't receive bonuses, then none should accept them (ideal world), or more Vet's should voice an opinion and get an eyebrow raised in congress. Just a thought.

11. Does anyone know if Arkansas has any bonuses for their vets??

12. Nathaniel | June 25, 2011 at 2:01 pm |

http://www.govoepp.state.sc.us/va/benefits.html, This is SC VA website. SC pays military vets student loans for serving in a combat area. But you must be a legal resident of the state of SC, not just a home of record.

13. Has anyone found anything for Indiana

14. Anyone found anything on Arizona?

15. is there any bonuses for michigan residents from wwII?

16. anything on Florida yet?

17. Have anyone in Mississippi got a bonus?

18. what about kansas?

19. what about Texas?
    MY son left while a resident of Ohio but received orders for Texas. He is now a resident of Texas. Can he received the veterans bonus?

20. J. Vernie | May 29, 2012 at 5:04 pm |

Is there a WW2 bonus for Veterans from Georgia?

How do we locate or research further?

21. HOW ABOUT HAWAII? DO THEY HIVE A D*MN?

22. Spc wolford | August 8, 2012 at 2:19 pm |

Is there any benefits for Washington state for active duty soldiers at all? Money park and Rec fishing hunting I’m not broke I’m still in and just served my first 12 month in Afghanistan. Thank you very much

23. is maryland one

24. I received about 200 dollars from Indiana in 1975 or 76 for service in Vietnam

25. have anyone found anything for vet in michigan and how to appile for it ,we all service for USA we need that bonus .

26. idaho is to cheap for a vietnam bonus

27. HELP!!! I grew up in Indiana, but so close to Ohio border, that I actually was sworn in and entered Army through Cincinnati M.E.P.S station in 1992.(Six days after H.S. Graduation.) I have lived in Ohio since discharge in 1997. I am 90% V.A. disabled Bosnia – Herzogovina Combat Veteran. Am I eligible for the Ohio Bonus? Advice anybody?

28. What about Georgia or Connecticut

29. I served in Vietnam in 1970-71. I think I received (maybe $300) bonus back in the seventies. Does anyone have a link to the bonuses given back then?

Rob Struck
    usastruck.com

30. I joined the NAVY at M.E.P.S in Brooklyn,NY in 1988 and went to 4 different tours to the Persian Gulf and participated in Desert Shield and Desert Storm. I moved around to different states and resided all over the USA, after I left the NAVY in 1998 I moved to New Jersey and then relocated to Fort Worth, Texas. My following question is: Am I entitled to a bonus check and which state am I eligible to claim it at?, since I now reside in the state of Texas I haven't seen any info regarding of qualification to the bonus check. Please respond with best description of my scenario. Thank you in advance.

31. Milton Curry | October 29, 2013 at 10:21 am |

Does Virginia have a veterans bonus program?

32. how about Michigan Va bonus- I was in from 11/73 – 11/93

33. Anybody know anything about Nebraska's bonus program?

34. kevin stewart | January 7, 2014 at 6:45 pm |

What about ca

35. HoR Jersey
    Now residing in Ca…am I eligible for a Gulf War Bonus?
    Please advise.