State Veterans Bonuses

September 09, 2010 | Kate Horrell

Thanks to the comment from Ariel, and a post from Ryan at The Military Wallet, I did a bit of research on these veterans’ bonuses I have heard a little bit about.  It seems that quite a few states are giving some sort of rebate to veterans.  In nearly all cases, the service member must have been a resident of the state when they entered the service, and be a resident of the state at the time of application.  Look through this list and see if anyone you know might be eligible -spread the word!  The total funds available are limited in some states, so don’t delay.  I hope to hear that someone is eligible for some of these programs:

Alabama:  Bonus payment to any service member who was a prisoner of war North Vietnam, South Vietnam, Laos or Cambodia.  This is also available to survivors of POWs who died while a prisoner.

See the Alabama Veterans’ Benefits page.

Illinois: Offers two separate bonus programs, one for World War II and one for Korean, Vietnam and the Persian Gulf Conflict.

• World War II $10 per month for domestic service and $15 per month for foreign service is payable to a veteran who was a resident of Illinois at time of entering service, served at least 60 days on active duty between September 16, 1940 and September 3, 1945, and received an honorable discharge. Survivors are entitled to a benefit of $1,000, if the veteran’s death was service-connected and within the period specified.
  • Korea $100 for service between June 27, 1950 and July 27, 1953, and receipt of the Korean Service Medal
  • Vietnam $100 for service between January 1, 1961 and March 28, 1973, and receipt of the Vietnam Service Medal or the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal Vietnam Era
  • Persian Gulf Conflict $100 for service between August 2, 1990 and November 30, 1995 and receipt of the Southwest Asia Service Medal.

For more information, see the Illinois Department of Veterans Affairs Benefits page.

New Hampshire:  Their Global War on Terrorism Bonus was scheduled to expire on June 11, 2009, but there are provisions for the acceptance of applications after that date.  Since the conflict is still happening, I imagine there is some way around it.

• Global War on Terrorism  Bonus of $100.   vailable to anyone who served on active duty on or after September 11, 2001 and on or before a date to be determined by the Secretary of Defense, and who earned the Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal or Afghanistan Campaign, or Iraq Campaign Medal; and who was discharged, released or has a certificate of service there from, with an honorable discharge, or who is missing in action or who was killed in action.
  • There is also the possibility to file for service during the Vietnam conflict or service during the Persian Gulf War.

See the New Hampshire State Department of Veterans Services War Bonus page.

Ohio: Payments to any veteran on active duty anywhere in the world for purposes other than training between August 2, 1990 and March 3, 1991 or any time since October 7, 2001.

• Up to $100 per month of eligible duty in Iraq (since March 19, 2003), Afghanistan (since October 7, 2001) or the Persian Gulf (August 2, 1990-March 3, 1991, up to a maximum of $1000
  • Up to $50 per month of eligible active duty elsewhere during the same time period, up to a maximum of $500
  • Total maximum possible benefit of $1500

See the Ohio Veterans Bonus Program Website

Pennsylvania:  Offers the Persian Gulf Veterans Bonus program.

• Service in the Persian Gulf from August 2, 1990 to March 3, 1991, and receipt of the Southwest Asia Service Medal
  • Bonus payment of $75 for each month (or major fraction thereof) of service.

See the Pennsylvania Persian Gulf Veterans Bonus Program

South Dakota:  Offers a $500 bonus for military members who were South Dakota residents for the six months preceding their military service and served during the following dates:

• August 2, 1990 to March 3, 1991 – All active service counts for payment.
  • March 4, 1991 to December 31, 1992 – Only service in a hostile area qualifying for the Southwest Asia Service Medal counts for payment.
  • January 1, 1993 to September 10, 2001 – Only service in a hostile area qualifying for any United States campaign or service medal awarded for combat operations against hostile forces counts for payment.
  • September 11, 2001 to a date to be determined – All active service counts for payment.
  • Service both before December 31,192 and after January 1, 1993 may qualify you for two $500 bonuses.

For more information, see the South Dakota Veterans Bonus page.

West Virginia:  Offers a bonus to veterans who served in Afghanistan, Iraq or Kosovo.

• Payment of $600 for eligible service members who served in a combat zone and earned the applicable campaign badge or expeditionary medal.
  • Payment of $400 for eligible service members who served during the applicable time periods but did not meet the qualifications for the $600 payment.
  • Payment of $2000 to the survivor of a military member killed in action during the applicable times.

For more information, see the West Virginia Veterans’ Bonus web page.

Please, send a link to anyone you know who might be eligible for these bonuses!

UPDATE 17 September 2010:  For information on Iowa and Massachusetts bonus programs, please see More State Veterans Bonuses.

Comments

1. Tammy Tillison says:

Is North Carolina one of the states offering bonuses.

2. Lori Brandenburg says:

Is Missouri one of the states offering bonuses?

3. Dustin Pirtle says:

Is Oklahoma one of the states offering bonuses?

4. William Pinckney says:

Is georgia offering bonuses

5. Is Missouri one of the states offering bonuses?

Drew Farnsworth

6. LANORRIS CRUMBY says:

IS GEORGIA OFFERING ANY BONUSES?

7. Does Mississippi offer this?

8. George Le Nard Burks says:

I was wondering if Texas offered one of these bonus's .?

9. George Le Nard Burks says:

Does cheap Texas offer one of these onuses. It's not enough to just say thank you for serving

10. Michael Jordan says:

What about the state of Virginia? This is the largest state in the United States with the largest population of veterans ever.

• Brenda says:

I accidentally clicked on the down button on this was trying to move the page up and down. But if Virginia is offering a bonus. I would love to know. Because you are right. They are one of the biggest Vet states.

11. Kathy says:

My husband and I were both active duty. We have both changed our state of residence several times. We don't know which state we should apply to, if the state even offers a bonus, a lot of them don't.

• Dave Roberts says:

Kathy, most, if not all, require that you were a resident of the state when you entered active duty service and are also currently a resident of that same state. Therefore, the only state you have to worry about is where you lived (were a resident) when you went on active duty. Hope this helps.

• mark says:

I just completed the process in Ohio, where you have to have entered the service there and have a home of record adress there, mosts states require this.

• paspeapod says:

the state your home of record is

• Bren says:

I submitted my packet to PA. That was my home of record when I entered, but I do not live there now. The only requirement was that PA was listed on my DD214 as home of record.

12. Texan says:

George, I'm a bit surprised at you…clearly you don't realize or haven't felt the value of being a 'cheap' Texas resident…while Texas may not offer some of the curent benies that some other states are, they offer some they don't…perhaps you should check with your local state VA office, check with American Legion, Disabled American Vets and VFW…Texas does have an online resource and can provide insight on local and Federal resources…understand there might be some states a bit more progressive than Texas, but it may be they need someone like you to have a fire lit under his A__ to spearhead such a cause. Its okay and encouraged to get help from resources already out there, but you often have to do a bit of leg work yourself to find and get these benies…I know, I've benefited from my Texas residence since my departure from the military, and watch other than 'cheap' Texas residence get robbed by states with their hands in their vets pockets…I don't see that in Texas…Good luck to ya man…and the rest of you all finding in hard to gain benies you've earned.

13. hi, i'm from michigan and i read about the bonus program that is listed. i would like 2 know if i can get the bonus or if u know of any other type of bonus type help i could get. i've been writing the gov over and over and no reply. my house and garage roofs r falling in and i have other issues with my house that need attention a.s.a.p. would u please spend alittle time and check and c if there is any help i can get. i'm disabled now. i'm aware that the gov is giving all kinds of grants 4 school and that is great, but i need help and in any way u might b able 2 help. please due. thank u.kevin r skees.. have a nice day.

14. Jeff says:

As far as Cheap Texas. Thank goodness Texas ain't taxing your income. They don't tax real food, like Milk, bread, Fruit. They also have I believe the Texas Veterns Land Board. So it may be more real to say "a lazy Texan got his hand out".

15. Anthony Cavallaro says:

does New York offer this?

16. Loren says:

Does anyone know if Kansas is a state that ill be eligable for this too, Thank You.

17. V. Harris says:

Does Georgia offer this bonus?

18. robinhiatt says:

I am from Florida and am wondering to if I am eligible for an additional income?

19. Ken White says:

Enlisted and discharged from the USN in MA. Have since moved to NC, am I eligible for any state bonus?

20. Robert Candelaria Sr says:

I am a disabled Viet-Nam Texas veteran where can i check for any bonuses or other help?

21. FLOYD PIGATT says:

DOES VIRGINIA OR WASHINGTON, DC OFFER THIS BONUS?

22. Lawrence Martinez says:

Does California offer this bonus? (Korean War). I now live in New Mexico.

23. charles perkins says:

does michigan offer any bonus

24. Kalifornia is to cheap to offer the veterans much of anything….

25. ChuckL says:

Vets in Nevada should check with the county auditor's office and the DMV. There are benefits available in license fees and home taxes.

26. Jerry Pilgrim says:

Iowa has a bonus program for Vietnam veterans who servefrom 1964 – 1975 and there is a bonus for both incountry and veterans who serve during that time but were not incountry. If you served in the military during any part of that timeframe you may be eligible. I served from 1974 until 2002 and rceived over $300 becuse part of my service was during the Vietnam conflict. Go to the Iowa veterans page: https://va.iowa.gov/benefits/conflict_bonus.html

27. Robert M. Rongero says:

I have been a resident of Texas starting with my assignment at Fort Hood in 1978 – 1985 to the present. I do not share the same view as expressed by someone describing Texas as "CheapTexan". The State of Texas has a very comprehensive website to provide assistance for employment, application for veterans benefits with VA, and a list of benefits that the State provides for Veterans and more so for disabled veterans. Furthermore, Texas to my knowledge is the only State in the nation who exempts 100% disabled Veterans from property taxes. The property tax exemption alone and other benefits afforded to Veterans would not definitely be considered as cheap.

• Sherry rose says:
      • Robert says:

Sorry for the late response as I have just visited this site just now. You need to visit with the appropriate Texas Appraisal District with jurisdiction to the property to find more information and how to apply, which is a very simple process to do. I believe the tax exemption applies also to surviving spouse of those 100% disabled veterans.

28. Mike Martinez says:

Is the state of California included in this bonus? Please reply. thank you.

29. Melanie Weisberg says:

Does KY have a program ?

30. Could you please find out if Kentucky has any programs. I had 3 brothers serve in vietnam and I also served.

31. Mr. Whitley says:

Does Tennessee offer any Bonuses?

32. Mrs. Roberson says:

Does the state of Louisiana qualify?

33. Joseph says:

I read your article Mr. Rongero. I would really appreciate the web address, and list that you expressed. Especially, for disabled veterans in Texas.

34. James Juniel says:

Does California or Texas offer this bonus?

35. Wondering if Colorad says:

Sorry for the mistake. I was wondering if Colorado is going to likewise??

36. Ronald A. Pearson says:

Is Colorado going to do this in the future??

37. Lester Carrejo says:

You guys say Texas is cheap (no state taxes)! Try to get unemployment assistance from Colorado! No way if you retire here, this state is cheap!! Can't even get workforce funds to get training!! Good thing I'm not completely disabled?! They probably won't pay for anything!!!!!!!! Fustrated with this state!

38. I Am from Florida am I eligible for an additional income.

39. Am I elegible for the bonuses?

40. Steve Sutton says:

Wisconsin does not know the difference between war time service and peace time service. Anyone who served between the Korean war and the Vietnam War( Peace time) has their military time count towards their government service time. That is State, County and City, Town or Village Government Service. One year of Military service for every 5 years of State, County and City, Town,Village Service. Yet anyone who served in the same capacity after January 1st 1974 gets nothing for putting their life on the line for State And Country.

41. Thomas Douglass says:

Does Maryland offer this bonus?

42. Kathy Steele says:

Texas and California offer great benefits to veterans and their families, especially education and property taxes. No complaining there. New Mexico also has some nice things going there. Colorado is bad-NOTHING for vets there. Georgia's not good except for a small discount on property tax. Hawaii not good. Bonuses come in different forms, not always money.

43. please let me know if new york pays any bonus to vietnam veterans

44. D. J. Smith says:

Sat. 09.18.10 3:34 pm PST

Does anyone have any information regarding Utah offering any benefits/bonuses? Thanks. DJS

45. Elvin b young says:

Does the grate state of virginia have a bonus or benefit plan

46. V. L. Gibbons says:

Kentucky had a Vietnam Veteran bonus a few years back. I think it was $500.00.

47. Does KY have a progr says:

• R Bussell says:

Hello, I am a Persian Gulf Vet and intersted if there is a bonus program for those who participated in Desert Storm/Shield/Calm. I live in KY

48. Otis Wingard says:

Does South Carolina ofer any of thoses bonuses or benefit plans?

49. Vanessa says:

To find benefits for your state, check out your state's VA website (distinct from the Federal VA site).

I know that many New England states offer great benefits including free access to state schools. Some also have bonuses paid, and some even have medals that they award to veterans of their home states.

California has a home loan program for veterans, otherwise, they do not offer much.

50. Teresa Vandal says:

Sorry to Kathy and Vanessa; your responses do not answer the question whether or not California offers a cash bonus like the ones offered by both Ohio and MA. We are ASKING if CA. offers a cash bonus like MA's chapter 153 of The Acts of 1992 which states that Veterans of the Gulf War who were residents of MA. prior to their service between Aug. of 1990 and April of 1991 may be elligible for a cash bonus of up to $1000. I am interested to know if CA. does because though I was married to my husband during much of this time; my Naval Home of Record was STILL LISTED as Yorba Linda, CA. Now we would simply like to know if CA. offers anything similar to the bonus offered by MA. or OH.

51. Kate Kashman says:

I have combed through the information provided by every state, and I have only been able to locate the bonuses listed in this post and the second post. Basically, if it is not listed here at The Paycheck Chronicles, I don't know about it. To the best of my knowledge, California does not offer a bonus.

I look forward to hearing from readers who might find additional bonuses that I have missed.

52. Brenda Davis says:

There is a website called vetsresource.com that is useful to find state benefits. Just click on the map, & it takes you to the states' VA Regional Office (VARO).

Also check out the "field offices" or County Veterans Service Officers (CVSO), usually accessible on the left side of the VARO page. CVSO's are there to assist veterans and their dependents in assuring all get the benefits they're entitled to.

53. James Glass says:

Does Florida offer any veteran bonuses?

54. Tim Hunter says:

I don't understand the Gulf bonus program. The state of Ohio says that because I was a resident of Michigan when I enlisted even though I'am a resident of their state now, that I'am not eligible for the bonus program. When I was fighting in the Gulf War I was fighting for the country not a state so why should I not be eligible? Could someone please explain this to me.

• Kate says:

Tim, the bonus is a benefit provided out of the generosity of each State's legislature and taxpayers. They get to make the rules for who is eligible. I would suggest that you ask your state legislator.

Thank you for your service.

55. Joseph says:

Does New Jersey offer any benefits?

56. Joseph says:

Does NJ offer a benefit?

57. Judge Burns says:

Is Kentucky offering a Veterans bonus program for those who served during Desert Shield/Storm? judge.burns@yahoo.com

58. Iverson says:

Does Louisiana offer any bonus

59. Della Mann says:

Pennsylvania offers this under "Persian Gulf Conflict Veterans' Benefit Program", Act 29 of 2006.

60. Jaredd says:

Does MA offer any bonus for OIF or OND.. Please let me know thank you.

61. don boudreau says:

i served in vietnam and now reside in nj is there any benifits i am entitled to?

don boudreau

62. Enjoying a post can be like giving an optimistic opt for change, I can like any post I like, but no loves can be wasted through me if I provide a good one to your blog. I say to you right now, this has a great like from me.

63. Tyler Heath Todd says:

Is South Carolina offering a bonus?

Tyler Heath Todd

64. Toad says:

what do disabled vets do to get a free jar of peanutbutter Oregon ?

65. manuel m. lopez says:

My uncle from the Philippines, a veteran soldier volunteer to Vietnam under Philcagvietnam. Don't know which agency to apply.

66. crystal says:

Does WI offer this ?

67. David Menetrey says:

How about Kentucky?

68. Arty says:
  69. John Hodges says:

Boy is our government getting cheap these days

70. Joseph Sperrazza says:

Does Penna have a compensation program for veterans with diabetes already receiving compensation from the VA?

71. Aurealeus says:

OBVIOUSLY, the only State offering the bonus are the ones listed and the ones asking if their State is included, are also OBVIOUSLY CLUELESS.

72. Thomas says:

Is this program valid in North Carolina as well. if so can you provide me with the contact information.

Thanks,
    Thomas Richardson

73. VICTORIA POWERS says:

Does Indiana offer this?

74. roger . branham says:

How about Kentucky get bonus from Persian gulf

75. keith says:
  76. Stvev Conway says:

Discharged veterans i WW2 received a discharge bonus referred to as 52/20. I believe this was a stipend given every week for a year. I also remember 3 checks of $90.00 I received in the months after I was discharged in Nov. 1945. Can anyone tell me what they were. Steve Conwat

77. Josh says:

I am honestly surprised at all the people asking about their home states in the comment section. This article is over 3 years old and outdated. Do your own research. A simple search will answer all your questions.

78. Bill Millett says:

Does Georgia offer a state veterans bonus?

79. kristine says:

does Georgia offer this?my husband got out of military last year and he was in for 14 years and did 2 tours to Iraq.

80. Eugene C. Kennedy says:

What about PA. I am and have alw3ays been a re4sident of PA. What do I do for answers?

81. Eugene C. Kennedy says:

I am and have always been a resident od PA. Served 3 years service in Army stationed in Germany Am now seriously ill with cancer. Is there any help for me from VA?

82. Jen says:

Does Oregon offer anything?

83. Keith Callwood says:

Do you know if Delaware is offering the bonus?

84. Keith Callwood says:

Does New York offer this bonus?

85. Alex McCracken says:

Is Indiana A state that offers any bonuses?

86. Glenn day says:

Is Michigan giving the bonue

87. Michael d. Meyer says:

I'm a veteran from Wiscinsin, do they have any bonuses also I was told of a bonus being payed for serving past you ets date or retirement dates. I was called stop Los program and it started before Desert storm in 1990