Home Depot Military Discount: Official, Updated Information

Reader Feedback Requested:  Lowe’s and Home Depot Military Discount and Veteran’s Discount

Update 5 May 2011:  The discount has not changed.

Thanks to Stephen Holmes of Home Depot’s Corporate Communication department, we have an official answer on the Home Depot Military Discount policy.  In response to my post last week, he emailed me the following statement:

“We offer a 10 percent discount, up to a $500 maximum, to all active, reserve, retired or disabled veterans and their family members with a valid military ID.  All other military veterans qualify for a 10 percent discount during Memorial Day, Veterans Day and Independence Day.

But I think it’s worth also noting that we support the military, military spouses and their families in many more ways that go beyond the discount. It’s a personal issue to us because we have so many of our own associates who have served over the years and about 1,700 who are currently serving on military leave of absence.”

Thank you to Mr. Holmes for giving us a clear view of the rules.  Mr. Holmes also encouraged me to send him any other questions, so please post them in the comments.

Hope this helps!

About the Author

Kate Horrell
Kate Horrell is a military financial coach, mom of four teens, and Navy spouse. She has a background in taxes and mortgage banking, and a trove of experience helping other military families with their money. Follow her on twitter @realKateHorrell.

98 Comments on "Home Depot Military Discount: Official, Updated Information"

1. Deborah H. Dean | August 15, 2010 at 6:59 pm |

I hope that Home Depot will send out a memo to their employees. Managment needs to make sure all employees, part time, full time and seasonal know this policy.

I shopped for some ceiling fans, one employee told me the discount was only for Memorial Day weekend (the weekend had just occurred); another told me they dropped the discount; but the clerk at the front told me the discount was in effect all year for 10% off…but she did add it was for up to $500 purchase. There is a difference between receiving 10% off purchases up to $500 purchase and "a 10 percent discount, up to a $500 maximum."

2. What I don't understand is why the Military discount is limited to "active, reserve, retired or disabled veterans and their family members with a valid military ID. All other military veterans qualify for a 10 percent discount during Memorial Day, Veterans Day and Independence Day."

What about those like myself that served 12 years of active duty but did not retire, become disabled, or join the reserves. Why are we always left out of the Military benefits picture? Does my 12 years served NOT COUNT for anything? I am a Viet Nam Vet and take great offense to the way the Military Discount is treated every place that I've been! To me it is very unfair to leave the rest of us out. We served our country and did a damn good job at that. Only difference in us and the category of people that are typically listed is that fact that we do not have a Military ID of any sort. We do however have a DD214.

Where is the Thank You in this situation? I would love to hear an explanation to this scenario.

Kathy Sahu, USN VETERAN, Cryptography

3. Lowes offers everyday a Military Discount of 10% off any purchase with an Active Duty or Retired ID Card or a Department of Veterans Affairs ID Card. To those who served those 12 years or 14 years who do not have a Retired ID Card can call the Department of Veterans Affairs to see about getting their Department of Veterans Affairs Card and then they can qualify for the 10% off ANY purchase, no maximum ceiling everyday of the year. Lowes also offers all Veterans who haven't gotten their Department of Veterans card or who doesnt have an Active Duty or Retired ID card can show their DD214 or other service cards to get the 10% on advertised holidays.

4. I agree, they need to share this info with all their employees and enforce it. But you get the same discount at Lowes every day without hassle and no maximum purchase with the discount. The most important factor is NO HASSLE !!!! Home Depot stopped giving our church their Tax exempt status, just said they dont do that any more. I won't return to Home Depot.

5. It is strange that Home Depot will match Lowe's sale prices and give a additional 10% to ensure they have the lowest price. But will not continue or match Lowe's military discount policy 24/7. Now only on certain holidays.

Thank you for reading.

Posted by Jerry Hansen USN / on August 24th, 2010

'5would

6. Hey! I didn't know about any service discounts at either Lowes or Home Depot. I've blown a ton of money at both places over the 35 years since I retired.

I don't suppose they offer retroactive adjustments. I could add a new wood-shop building out back! I've outgrown the old one.

7. after reading all comments; this is what i know for a fact; in ohio home depot has let several employees go because of giving military discounts after they made their changes in march 2010 of this year. they then in turn changed military discounts again this year to even less military personnel. the employees were confused concerning discounts to who or whom and were let go because they were giving to family members of military veterans; who were also employees of home depot. it appears if you are employee of home depot no discounts but the memo states family members; nothing about employees of family members. home depot has made big error concerning this but will not rectify their mistake. home depot claim they are for military but they don't give anything to military employees who work for home depot. they are not for discounts of any kind to anyone. they keep changing their policies to suit their needs only. thanks for any updates to this comment.

8. After making 3 visits to my local HD in Clinton, MS (last visit on 09/05) to buy a washer and dryer, I was unable to get a military discount. The sales lady was rude about it, would not research availability, and told me that the discount was not available because the washer was "Entergy Star" rated, and only qualified for the entergy star rebate. I went to Cowboy Maloney's.

9. Wife of a Soldier | September 16, 2010 at 2:28 pm |

If you do not have a military ID, you will fall under the discount offered on Memorial weekend and 4th of July weekend. Thank you for your service.

10. Crystal Knightsbridg | September 28, 2010 at 2:00 am |

My local Home Depot refused my husbands dependent ID card and was told only the active member could use the discount. Before I rejoined the reserves i used to use my DD214 as i did not have an ID card, and they stopped accepting that also. Does my time served not count because I wa sno longer serving? People, we need to speak a lot louder than this if we are to be heard. The People of this country get the benefit of our serving to protect their rights and freedoms, the least we can get is the benefit of a small discount as a thank you.

11. Today, I was told the discount has officially ended for the military at home depot. To that I say, I will now shop only at Lowes.

12. Home Depot does hone | October 2, 2010 at 11:25 am |

Just used my retired ID card and received a discount in Dayton Ohio. No questions asked.

13. Sadly, today I was told that Home Depot no longer offers a 10% discount to military personnel. I have been a home depot customer for all home improvements, I told many military members to shop home depot because they appreciate what we do for our country. But today that stopped, so today I and hopefully all other military members decide to spend their hard earned money at LOWES, where I hear they appreciate the military all year round. And for that I say your welcome.

14. The Home Depot can NOT stop giving you tax exempt status, what is most likely the case is there is an issue or a problem with YOUR tax exempt registration and YOU need to take care of it on your end. If your church does indeed qualify for tax exempt status, it cannot be taken away from you by a company. Check on the churches tax exempt registration with the store to see what errors there may be.

15. So many of you people posting on here really need to get your facts straight. Home Depot DOES offer a 10% discount to ACTIVE, RESERVES, RETIRED AND DISABLED VETS WITH VALID ID also DEPENDENTS WHO HAVE VALID ID. As to why they do not offer it to ALL who have ever served? Write a letter to Home Depot's corporate offices; to get bent out of shape with the store associates isn't going to change ANYTHING. They do not make the policies; however, they are required to enforce the policies handed down to them from the head honcho's at corporate.

16. We will no longer shop at Home Depot because they no longer offer the 10% to ALL past military. The same thing they sell at Home Depot we can get at Lowes plus enjoy a 10% discount.

17. SaRonica Hawaii | October 26, 2010 at 3:38 pm |

I was informed that you can only receive one discount at a time. I'm in the reserve and my husband is active and I want to purchase shutters. There is 15% discount running for a promotional period and I was told I can only get the 10% military discount or the 15% promotion, NOT both. Please clarify your policy.

Thank You for your assist.

SaRonica

18. Geoffrey Morrison | October 30, 2010 at 12:55 pm |

30 Oct 2010 – I was just at my local Home Depot at The Forum in Live Oak Tx and presented my ID card for the 10% discount, but I was turned down because my ID card was "pink". The clerk stated that Corporate stated not to take "pink" ID cards. This means that I as a Retired Reservist having served over 27 years and my fellow Retired Reservists and family members are not eligible for the discount. Lowe's honors the "pink" ID card and gives the discount. I thought I met the policy Mr Holmes stated in that I was a retired military member and have a valid military ID card. This must not be the case!

19. Jerry M. Pondelicek | November 11, 2010 at 9:49 am |

I am a Viet Nam veteran. To get a 10% discount do I need to bring in my DD-214 to prove I am a veteren? Thanks, Jerry

20. We asked about the discount and was told it was only for specific items, and only if we used a HomeDepot Card.

We asked at Lowe's and was told to bring in our old receipts and they would give us the discount on past purchases… we just found out about the discount.

Where would you shop????

21. We purchased a wooden shed on display outside the front of our local Home Depot. When I asked about the military discount they said that did not apply to this type of shed because it was in some other category – I cannot remember which. Please clarify.

22. I recently went to purchase a new refrigerator at HomeDepot and at checkout the person at the register told me there was "NO" military discount on appliances. Verified through a manager at my request. Thanks for your service HomeDepot!

23. I'm glad to see Home Depot has given an unambiguous possitive response to those who serve our country. I hear from their store clerks that this response is now part of their training program.

The new policy has actually made it more deficult for me to get the discount because I am an ex-member of the British military and my proof of service document is not listed as one of those "approved" in the trainig documentation. I used to have no problem getting the discount. The irony of this is I spent most of my six years in intelligence under the command of the USAFNSA in Germany.

I will plead my case with Mr. Holmes!

24. We have many business owners (contractors) using military ID's to get the 10% off a purchase they make for the business, as a Vet I see this as an insult. The Vets discount was for the needs of the Vet, not the needs of contractor businesses. Is this worded anywhere in the policy. Every pruchase they make for every different job has been followed by an ID card, if the owner doesn't have one (no service) they have one of their employees make the purchase. This is wrong on every level.

25. Flash! Home Depot has discontinued year-round military discounts. They will only offer on a few holidays– July 4th, Vets Day etc… Was in my local store today (12/27/10) and was told this came down from their corporate HQ last week!

26. Iwill no longer shop at H0me depot and thilk allother vets should do the same. also their name should be taken off of brads deals.com list

27. Home Depot discount is more of a disclaimer,very disappointed and a joke. Will not accept ,VA I.D.card if it does not read service connected on Veterans affairs I.D. card. ((((I do not need this hassle))) for only a few days out of the year,to receive a discount. I will now shop a LOW'S where you can receive a military discount every day. (NO HASSLE) I was lucky I was not wounded. So at Home Depot they will not accept the VA Card

28. Korea/VietNam Vet | January 9, 2011 at 9:53 pm |

All this is interesting. We were at Home Depot today to purchase kitchen appliances. They are running a 10% off Maytag sponsored special on certain appliances. When we asked about the Vet's discount, we were told that we couldn't have it – that it would be "double dipping". Wait a minute – the sale is being sponsored by MAYTAG! The Vet's Discount is supposed to be Home Depot's service to Vets. So how is that "double dipping". I'm with you folks. Probably gonna cancel my sale at Home Depot and see if Lowe's has the same appliances. Really sorry to see that Home Depot has taken this road…

29. Home Depot has joined the list of greedy corporations, with managers that are being paid far too much money. This military discount (in my thoughts) was just a scam for getting more business. If they were really concerned about the veterans in this fine country, all of these complaints and concerns being mentioned on this site would never exist. My concern is why does Home Depot favor some veterans and not the others. There are many War Veterans that served during dreadful combat situations, just because they did not make a living in the service(s), nor was injured, or in the reserves stateside), or on present active duty and never subjected to any harm. Why, again, are the Vietnam heroes that served, and many lucky enough to return without injury (physical), are excluded. This sickens/irates me.
    I have been a loyal customer with Home Depot for years and have two Home Depot's credit cards. Well they are being cancelled. I also believe that the people in Haite (spelling), are being treated better than vets.

30. Corporate Fat Cats, along with the Government, have always seperated themselves from the Vietnam Vets, Probably the Kor/Vets also. This seems to be the way it is for us. We are continually being hidden in a dark room. HomeDepot and Lowe’s are not alone. Time to start spending my money back into the Mom & Pop Hardware stores in my city. They deserve it for being slammed by these big discrimanting businesses. Atleast they treat everyone the same. The full house Carpeting that was being ordered at Home Depot has been cancelled.

Vietnam ’68.

31. Jerry P.

As another Viet Nam Vet, I was hassled as not being 'Active' and my DD214 was not valid any longer without an official Military ID Card with current picture. They cited too much abuse with people freely giving out copies of DD214's. I will attempt to obtain a Veterans Affairs ID pictured ID card so as to meet HD's policy. I can see where abuse comes into play and HD don't make much more than 10% profit, it that much. Does anybody know if he Veteran Affairs ID card is available for all military vets?

James Y.

32. To all of you: at both Lowe's and Home Depot: My brother, honorably discharged from Army/Vietnam can not use his DD214 anymore, not even with PASSPORT, DRIVERS LICENSE AND BIRTH CERTIFICATE (to prevent "fraud"). If you served in the military years ago, you can ONLY get a photo military ID is you financially qualify for VA benefits. There is no "military photo ID" for long-separated veterans not getting or asking for VA benefits. Lowe's and Home Depot are being disingenuous and cynically wrapping their corporations in the American flag when their "thanks" only applies to a sub-group of people who served their country.

33. Found a work-around for the HD military discount… When we showed my dad's card and they wouldn't honor it, we got into it with the manager. We shared that Lowes DOES honor it and almost walked away from a $1,000 purchase. Finally they let us know that they cannot honor the military discount, but since Lowes does, they can give us the "competitor discount." It's something that they don't publicize, but if you ask this way they should honor the 10% off anyway.

We'll still shop primarily at Lowe's but this is good to know for rare instances where you can only find the item you're looking for at HD. Hope this helps others.

34. As a Home Depot shopper of many years I have appreciated the discount that I enjoyed when presenting my VA id card to the cashier.
    No more of this I was recently told : corporate decision (Orders from the district manager in Venice Fl.)
    Hey guess what. I used to buy just about everything at home depot but I am now going to make a management decision of my own and do my shopping at Lowes which is the same distance from my home. I am asking all of my fellow vets to join me.

35. Just went to Lowe's today and was informed the everyday Military 10% discount IS no longer valid. Checked Lowe's website for confirmation and found nothing. Awaiting email from corporate to verify this new policy.

36. They are enforcing this policy because the ones without the card or DD214 are asking for the discount and have never served in the military.

37. Terry Lampton | March 16, 2011 at 5:46 pm |

Why does Home Depot treat veterans differently? I firmly believe a veteran is a veteran regardless of how long he or she served. I will always take my business to Lowes NEVER again to Home Depot.

38. Me to, AF VET and CG AUX present. NO DISCOUNT ANY MORE

39. Bob Bennett | March 24, 2011 at 9:15 pm |

As not only a retired Navy Vet with 30 years active service, I'm also a General Contractor in the state of WA. I have the required State Resellers Permit on file with Home Depot Corporate offices that allows the tax on items I purchase for my contracting business to be tax free. For over 9 months I have received both the 10% military discount and no tax on business purchases as I was informed by HD Customer Care in July 2010 that these were two separate entities. Last week I was checking out at my local HD and was told I would no longer be able to receive both the Mil. discount AND have the tax removed from my purchase. I asked for a manager, even showed him the email from July 2010 and he would not budge. I left my shopping cart sitting, loaded, in front of the cashier.
    Through an ongoing exchange of emails with HD Corporate Customer Care, HD claims there is nothing in writing to support this policy. I find this unacceptable and HD has lost one of its Professional customers.

40. I have the same problem when I go to Lowes and Home Depot. The way I see it I served this country for everyone including the people that make the policy on Military discount. To me a VETERAN is a VETERAN

41. Lance Boyer | April 18, 2011 at 9:41 pm |

Quit going to Homes Depot and go to Lowes it is a classier store and has just about the same prices. They appreciate veterans and give the discounts to you as long as you have a id card.

42. JL in Florida | April 26, 2011 at 8:45 pm |

I just left the Orange Monster and was told as a retiree no discount except on military holidays…said was a new policy…hope Lowes doesn't follow suit.

43. Went to Home Depot last week with an ACTIVE DUTY ID CARD and they said that the discount is no longer applicable, except on military holidays. LOWES gives me the 10% discount every time. I guess LOWES appreciates the military a little more, and they will get all of my home improvement business!!

44. VeteranswifeAnn | April 28, 2011 at 8:38 am |

We use Home Depot reguraly and at times are able to enjoy the 10% veteran discount. Notice that I said "at times". There's no ryme or reason in these situations. Just one day they do give us the discount and the next day they don't. There is no posting of the rules anywhere in the store and there is definatly no clear cut training for the employees. I think it is just luck of the draw on who you get to check you out. The last time my husband was in making a large purchase, the clerk told him is was only for "active" military members. His comment to her was that if that is truly the case, then it should be called "ACTIVE MILITARY PERSONNEL DISCOUNT" not "VETERANS" discount as there is a big difference in that advertising. We are currently checking out Lowes for our future home needs purchases.

45. SonInMilitary | May 6, 2011 at 10:55 pm |

"Many of the stores have made the decision not to honor the military discount year around. We will honor the discount year around if items are purchased online. I apologize again for the inconvenience." This was the response today from a Home Depot Customer service rep. My son DID NOT receive the military discount at our Home Depot in Arkansas! Our business will be taken to LOWES.

46. went to home depot today and were told there is no longer a military discount at all – (as of 4 days ago) going to Lowes

47. I shop at Lowe's now for most of my lawn needs because of the 10% military discount. Thank you Lowe's.

48. As od 11 May 2011 home depot will only give military discount 4 times a year per the Home Depot in Fort Worth Tx

49. I am currently in Home Depot I have been buying paint for the last 3 weeks I even made a major carpet purchase. I have used the Home Depot in Benton, AR and Mabelvale. Today at the Mabelvale location I purchased lights and was told no discount. The same store that gave me a discount the day before. So I Google Home Depot military discount and this article pops up. I immediately show them and wahlah they have to uphold my discount. So use this article how can they argue with their corporate office!

50. The HD I shop in Sarasota FL, told me that the MILITARY discount will no longer be avaliable after July 2011. All Military – Active, Disabled or Retired.
    Is this true? If it is true – I'll shop elseware!

51. 5-22-2011. Just came out of homeDepot.Showed myDept of VET. Affairs card. Was told discount only on HOLIDAYS????????I'am disabled . Sure glad it all FIXED???????

52. I shop at the Home Depot in Keller, TX 2 or 3 times a week. I have always used the military discount without any problems but today when I went in to buy a small tool, the cashier told me that the store was no longer honoring military discounts. I asked to speak to the manager and he very rudely told me to come back on a holiday and they would honor it then.

Home Depot's biggest competitor, Lowes, offers a 10% discount. For Home Depot to say that they only offer the discount on holidays is an insult to all Veterans. They get the good press of saying they give a discount to military without realistically having to do so because no vet interested in the discount is going to wait for a holiday to shop at Home Depot when they could just go to Lowes any day of the week.

I am very insulted by the manager I spoke to and Home Depot's lip service to the military. Get your good press some other way.

53. I just called the Home Depot customer service line and spoke to a woman named Marie. She reiterated that the discount is only offered on specific holidays. I referenced her to this article and she stated that she did not know who Stephen Holmes is and that the information published here is incorrect.

54. HOME DEPOTs in VA BCH as well as LOWES offer 10% year round for military just show them your ID

55. Meant to title my post as @Disabled Vet but it put that as my name. Anyhow, sorry to hear about all of this happening. Maybe Kate can get to the bottom of it all?

-Scott

56. KateKashman | June 11, 2011 at 6:19 am |

Oh, gosh, Reservist. That is ridiculous!

57. My husband went to Home Depot this morning and when he tried to get the military discount he was told that they no longer will be giving it. Will be doing our shopping at Lowe's only from now on.

58. ronald carta | July 21, 2011 at 5:34 pm |

I agree with all these comments. It seems hard to believe that Home Depot does not respect the men and women that served in past conflicts.Are we any different then them. I respect all of them and I would not treat them any different than I would like to be treated. SHAME on HOME DEPOT. I hope they enjoy spending the extra money.

59. what about a veteran who receives penson, with a department of veterans affairs id card. can they receive that 10% discount?

60. its like all our new congress all talk no actions give to the rich take from the middle class and poor i was in for 3 yrs over 1 in Vietnam shot in my leg not disabled and never would i go to a VA hospital

61. Get over it PLEASE! | August 21, 2011 at 12:42 pm |

First of all thank you for your service to our country but when it comes to the discount did you join the service just to get 10% discount? The discount is for active military disabled military or retired military. You were paid for your service for the time you served. I think its time to get over it!

62. Get over it PLEASE! | August 21, 2011 at 12:47 pm |

Lowe’s Official Answer on Military Discounts
    July 14, 2010 | Kate
    Reader Feedback Requested: Lowe’s and Home Depot Military Discount and Veterans Discount

Because it is one of the most frequently searched questions at The Paycheck Chronicles, I contacted Lowe’s and asked them to clarify their military discount policies.

Here is the response I received:

“All active, reserve, retired and disabled veterans and their immediate family members with a valid, government-issued military photo ID card are eligible for the discount year-round.

Valid, government-issued military IDs include the Veterans Identification Card (VIC); the Uniformed Services Identification Card, both Active Duty and Active Duty Family Member; and, the Common Access Card.

Lowe’s continues to give a 10 percent discount to all veterans who have a DD214 on Memorial Day, Fourth of July and Veteran’s Day

Read more: http://paycheck-chronicles.military.com/2010/07/1
    The Paycheck Chronicles

63. Steve Lychock | August 31, 2011 at 4:11 pm |

Why does Lowe's allow x-military who are NOT eligible for the Military Discount take the discount? According to your guide lines only military with a VALID ID CARD (Active, reserve, retired or disabled vets). Each visit I made to Lowe's I see Military Discount to people who are not eligible or do not have a valid ID card. I am a retired VET ad served my time, while others who are not eligible get the perk. Lowe's must be loosing HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS because their employees do not understand the requirements
    for the discount.
    Steve

64. I am retired Military, and have never had any problem in Lowes or Home Depot using my 10% discount. Biggest problem I have is remembering to ask for it.

65. Just go to Lowes…when we go to Home depot we can never find someone to help us!Lowes is always helpful,no hard time and glad to take money from Home Depot!!!

66. Robert Scully | September 5, 2011 at 3:53 pm |

I wrote two letters to Home Depot Customer Care, 2455 Paces Ferry Road, Atlanta, GA 30330, 04/24/11 and 06/01/11 without the courtesy of a reply as of this date. The letters addressed military discounts for a retired US military member (24 1/2 years). Your assistance in obtaining written reply to these letters will be greatly appreciated.

67. So I guess some of us are only veterans on certain holidays according to your interpretation. I wish that was the only days I had to serve in Vietnam. How about the true vets WW1 and WW2? Thanks for nothing.

68. I am an active Guard Member, I own a Construction Co. If I buy materials for a job or myself would I also recieve the discount.?

69. Ive not used it for clients.

70. I am a retired military member and have been denied a discount at two different Home Depot's. That's why I stick with Lowe's.
    Seems their corporate office is not relaying the information to the stores. Looks like a lot of lip service to me.

71. Lowe's offers 10% discount to Veterans year around in case no one knows that.. We always go to Lowe's never a problem and better customer service..

72. I used the discount today, use it quite often. All you have to have is your VA ID Card or Military ID.

73. It's pathetic the way Home Depot treats veterans who proudly served our country. Unless you are active duty, or retired or disabled you don't get a discount except for on Memorial Day, Fourth of July and Veteran's Day. Then to get the measly 10% discount, you have to have a picture military id. To get that you have to have a certified or original dd form 214 and request an appointment at the county clerk's office. I was honorably discharged quite awhile ago and having moved several times since then, I lost my original dd form 214 so I had to have my local veteran's office fax St Lous, MO to have them send me a certified copy. That takes over 2 weeks. Then I have to go thru the ordeal of making the appointment and by then Veteran's Day will be over and I will have to wait until Memorial to make use of the discount. It's 10% for crying out loud, not 30 or 40%. Give me a break, will ya, Home Depot? I am going to shop at Lowe's from now on.

74. Our Lowes has started to require an "Overide" by a manager while Home depot just does a scan of a discount page. I think Lowes is attempting to make it such a hassel that you will just skip the discount.

75. I hold a uniformed services blue I.D. card which states U.S. Navy retired. On two shopping trips to Home Depot I was denied the10% discount. I was told the i.d. was good only on certain holidays. I was asked for a V.A. red white and blue card.

Went to Lowe's and they readily accepted that i.d. and gave me the discount and thanked me for my service. Goodbye Home Depot,. Hello Lowe's.

76. I wanted to correct a misunderstanding on some of these posts…Home Depot actually does give their military discount for orders placed by phone. You can pick out your items online, call with the SKU numbers, and they will give you the discount, no questions asked. I just did this and saved nearly 50 dollars.

77. Home Depot may have found a way to deny us what they claim to give by their own military discount policy. I went to purchase an appliance today at Home Depot because they advertised 10% off appliances for today only. When I tried to use my military discount, the store manager claimed that the 10% off price was already a discount (not a sale price) and he could not apply two discounts to any item. Creative way to deny us what they say they give.

78. Home Depot is a commercial business not a branch of the DOD or VA. Therefore if they want to call a (singular) program "The Home Depot Veterans Discount Program" (there is no Military Discount program and then a seperate Veterans Discount program listed anywhere on their web-site or on the documentation the store manager provided) then that program should be for all veterans. I agree that they don't have to offer any discount. I really don't care about the discount. What I don't like is being told I'm not a Veteran.

79. I have an update to my previous posting about "discounts vs. sale prices" and the refusal of Home Depot to honor a military discount with so called discounted items. After returning to the same store the next day and finding the actual store manager rather than the manager on duty the evening in question, she was extremely gracious and stated that Hone Depot wants to keep their military customers and gave us the military discount as well as the sale/discounted price on the appliances we bought. We subsequently returned, bought more appliances and she personally wrote them up and processed the sale giving us the military discount on top of the lowest prices for those as well. My faith in the store to do the right thing has been restored.

80. Gil Stewart | May 21, 2012 at 12:56 pm |

Ok Home Depot;You can see that many,many veterans are upset with your discount policy for veterans.I've been told my verified veterans pictured card has to
    say 'service connected' to get the 10% dicount.That means ;if I was a POW,wounded in action,or had Diabetes;I could get the dicount.Many veterans
    like myself, have served our time but do not qualify!This is not fair for millions of Vets.This is a slap in the face to the very men that did their patriotic duty protecting
    you, while we were sent around the world,disrupting our lives.
    The solution is; accept an official ID pictured card or DD214 papers and you
    will enhance your business! —Gil Stewart

81. DONALD CARVER | June 4, 2012 at 2:40 pm |

my georgia drivers license says vet why is this not enought i.d. for home depot to prove iam a vet .i just left oakwood ga. home depot i was giveing 10% discount but was asked to bring other i.d. next time. i cant get vet license if iam not a vet .my georgia license should be all i need.THANK,S DONALD CARVER

82. I am a military spouse and I do not ever use military discounts and neither does my husband. My husband has been downrage several times, but he chose to join the military. We appreciate that a business wants to show support by giving the discount, but we are blessed to each have jobs! Give the discount to someone who really needs it and doesn't think it is owed to them.

83. travelingal702 | October 4, 2012 at 9:26 am |

Looks like Lowes far surpasses Home Depot in the military discount department. Here in DE, the military discount is honored at both HD and Lowes, no questions , no hassle. You just have to provide your military ID. It would seem that HD is missing the boat and losing customers over their vague rules concernng the discount. I find it hard to believe that they are losing money, since both these stores are "the only game in town."

84. I am a so called snow bird .I live in New Jersey for 6 mos. and Florida for the other 6.I receive my military discount in N.J. with no problem since i have a retired former military Id issued by the State of N.J.I tried to use it in Sarasota and it was denied.I told them i will take my business to Loews who loves my veteran card

85. I am a desabled vet, we do not have military ID." you only get an ID if your retired

86. I have found that not all the stores give a 10% discount to us retired military
    the one in Brookhaven,Ms has never given me a full 10% on any purchase,I questioned them about it and they told me i must have gotten items that were already at a discount ,I checked to see and I had not ,on a $128.00 purchase the military discount was $4.35 that is not 10%.The lady at the check out was very nice and ran it three more times and it came up with a diferent amount each time. She called the store managment and they told her there was nothing they would do about it.I have not had this problem at anyother home depot stores but will not be going back to the Brookhaven one again.

87. I went today to hd and was informed of this policy change since I was always afforded a 10% discount. I immediately walked out and fleft $600.0 worth of mdse for my deck on the cart, and went to Lowes Good job Mr. Holmes!

88. Al H

I've just spent a little over $7,500 on my roof, and as a disabled Vietnam veteran I can't get the 10% discount. Whenever I reach a live person it's either "I don't think so" or "I don't know". But none of them can point me to someone that can give me a clear answer. Home depot has some problems that's really not that hard to fix.

89. Ralph Schuster | August 4, 2013 at 10:22 pm |

I have used my VFW Life membership card and my American Legion membership card to get the discount at Home Depot. No problem My VFW card shows Vietnam & Nućlear Deterence Patrol. I served on the brown water and later I server end on SSBN in the USN. Many businesses will accept one of these membership cads as you have to be a veteran to be a member..

90. thanks for turning me down for a 10% discount. now instead of a hr. long trip to shop with hd I will travel 1/2 hr. more to go to lowes for my purchess. 11/13

91. albert perhach | November 9, 2013 at 1:34 pm |

Three years in a combat zone – US Army I am not eligible for the lowes discount through the year. Many retired veterans spent no time in combat yet they get the Lowes discount. Since my veteran card no longer is good at lowes, in the last two months I bought a chipper shredder, pressure washer, radial arm saw, and a jig saw. I also buy three bottles of propane for my shop and grille. These recent purchases were made at other than Lowes, and will continue. I am also a contractor, but do not buy in bulk, so no discount. I normally spent two to three days shopping at Lowes. Your welcome for my service.

92. Just called HD and verified discount only to retired, disabled or active duty. All other VETERANS are not worthy of a 10% discount except 3 days a year.
    So, I'm off to do my shopping at LOWES.

93. The Home Depot policy has now changed. Good luck on understanding the new policy.

94. Melissa DiFranks | April 1, 2014 at 11:56 am |

I work at Home Depot, and the military discount has not stopped, only modified. We only regularly take tan cards- dependent:; red card-retired; blue card- retiree or disabled veteran; CAC- Common Access Card-( must state service connected)active duty and reserve: And finally the VIC-Veterans Identification Card. On holidays ( memorial day, 4th of July, veterans day)- we take all of the above and also DD214 form. It's not my policy, because I would give the discount no problem. I just do what corporate says. Please don't get mad at the cashier checking you out, we just follow policy, no matter how many times it changes. Thank You0.

95. It"s always a round about with policies I worked for home depot for 19 years , recently retired . Home depot can never give a straight answer. Was just on this site to read some reports ,clicked on a report ,sent me to their home page to make a selection . That's not what I wanted. The site never gives you what your trying to do . In this case military discounts. Going to lowes where they honor all military personell ,

96. Ricardo Famisan | August 9, 2014 at 7:46 pm |

I bought plumbing equipment at 325 Chatman Dr. Newport News, VA 23602 today
    08/09/14 and showed my military ID for 10% discount but the cashier said that it's not allowed for discount. Cashier name-Hui HKC3599. Been shopping at this store and getting discount. Is this new policy?

97. I will never again shop at Home Depot. I spent $103.81 at the McKinney, TX store and got a $1.90 military discount. Only four of the nine items were covered by the discount, and this was not clarified at checkout. I got home and checked the receipt and you only get a military discount on those items coded with an “M”. I am going to return all the items and go to Lowes in the future.

98. This is all fine and good except it is not completely fair. What about us guys who did 2 tours in a compact zone. We are not retired, we are no longer active, we were lucky and did not get wounded and we are not all disabled…Then there are those who receive compensation for knee or minor surgery for example…Are they considered disabled ??? It is not the 10 percent it is the prince-able…. The VA should add a Compact Zone category to our ID cards.

Comments are closed.