Stop Loss Payment Deadline Soon


Please help get the word out to former and current military members who might be eligible for Retroactive Stop Loss Special Pay.  Personnel who were retained on active duty between September 11, 2001 and September 30, 2009 due to a stop loss order can be eligible for payment of $500 per month or partial month.

More information can be found at the Retroactive Stop Loss Special Pay website

There are many people who should be eligible for this payment who haven’t yet applied.  If you know anyone who might qualify, be that nosy neighbor and mention it to them.  I’m sure they’ll appreciate it if they find out they are eligible.

About the Author

Kate Horrell
Kate Horrell is a military financial coach, mom of four teens, and Navy spouse. She has a background in taxes and mortgage banking, and a trove of experience helping other military families with their money. Follow her on twitter @realKateHorrell.
  • TimN

    Watch yourself, and be prepared to get your congressman/woman involved.

    Today, AFPC notified me that they had “disapproved [my] retroactive stop-loss special pay compensation claim” even though I had submitted unrefutable proof.

    AFPC usually has top-notch professionals – not always.

    Hee, hee … they don’t know who they’re messing with. I sent a nicely (but strongly) worded letter re-stating my case.

    I’ll give this one appeal a chance before I sick the dogs on them.

    Anyone else having the same issues?

  • Kate Kashman

    Good Luck, Tim! That is really discouraging that they are making it difficult for people to claim this much earned pay. I look forward to hearing what happens.

  • TimN

    Thanks Kate,

    I expect some resolution from my appeal before the end of this month. I’ll post when I find out.

  • I was on a active duty prior to 911 and was within 2 months of seperating from active duty!! After the events of 911, certains personnel, in certain rates were forcible retained in the US Navy. The stop loss was continued in my case for almost two years. I had reached my 11 year mark and decided to re-enlist rather than wast my time and efforts in the military. I lost an guarnteed jon with a federal prison hospital located in los angeles, ca which i had been selected as an feral corrections officer. now i was told recently that i was denied reto pay because i re-enlisted almost two years after the fact and recieved a bonus for it!! who can i petition this to???

  • Wendy

    That is 100% B.S. The “rules” clearly state that regardless of re-inlistment if you were “stop-lossed” any time after 911 you are OWED THIS $. If your contract with the Navy expired & the Fed. Gov. extended your time in service by as little as one day you are eligable. The fact that you re-inlisted after you were extended does not matter. You MUST contact your congressman ASAP, believe it or not they WILL get back to you (espicially If you send a letter by mail). You may want to include the “rules” regarding the stop-loss payments in your letter This person is YOUR represenative & public servant, If the want to keep their job & get re-elected they usually help their prople . . . hope this helps. Good luck!You can find your represenative’s info at: