Home Depot Military Discount

May 23, 2010 | Kate Horrell

Reader Feedback Requested:  Lowe’s and Home Depot Military Discount and Veteran’s Discount

UPDATED 5 MAY 2011:  The discount has not changed.

UPDATED 15 August 2010:  Home Depot has provided us with their official answer on the military discount questions:  Home Depot Military Discount:  Official, Updated Information.

As we know, Lowe’s recently announced that it would offer a military discount all year round.  I had heard a few people say that their Home Depot offered military discounts as well, but I haven’t see that officially announced anywhere.  My friend Ryan at the Military Finance Network talked about it back in March, but he doesn’t have links to support it.

I was at Home Depot yesterday and on a whim, I asked for the military discount.  The cashier gave it to me without even asking for me for ID, and I saved a whopping $2.00.

It never hurts to ask.

Comments

1. Paul says:

Home Depot ios great!!! Lowes-not so much. Here is a copyt of my most recent Lowe's disaster:

Replied On 6/22/2010 6:50:51 PM—————————————-

Good Evening Paul,

Thanks for your reply. Again, I apologize that you weren't able to use the military discount. It is our policy that vets show identification. However, due to your dissatisfaction, I've forwarded your email to the appropriate department within our corporate offices for policy review.

I'm also providing the military discount information below:

"We offer an all-day, every-day 10% Military discount to all military personnel who are active, reserve, retired or disabled veterans and their immediate family members, with a valid, government-issued Military ID or VIC (Veterans Identification Card). Please visit your local Lowe's store, provide a valid, government-issued Military ID or VIC, and ask the cashier for the discount.

All other military veterans will receive the discount on the Memorial Day, Fourth of July, and Veterans Day weekends. (Customer must provide Military ID, VIC, or a DD214)."

Let me know if there's anything else I can do for you.

Sue

Lowe's Customer Care

Received On 06/22/10 18:38:04—————————————-

—-

Replied On 6/22/2010 6:29:06 PM—————————————-

Good Evening Paul,

Thanks for your response and comments. I do appreciate your feedback on the Military discount, and I will share your comments with the department responsible for developing store policies and operating procedures. They will consider your feedback when evaluating potential policy and procedure revisions.

Again, I apologize for any inconvenience and understand any frustration this may have caused. If you have additional questions or comments, please reply to this e-mail and let me know.

Sue

Lowe's Customer Care

Received On 06/22/10 17:47:24—————————————-

I did receive a phone call saying that you folks do NOT offer Veteran's discounts but only for active duty and retired armed forces members. That is not what I was told by your website so somewhere there is some misinformation out there. I do get a true Veteran's discount at the Depot regardless of what my status is (active, retire, honorably discharged) hat a t4u Veteran's discount is which is what

—-

Replied On 6/22/2010 5:32:38 PM—————————————-

Good Afternoon Paul,

Thanks for your reply. I apologize you haven't been contacted regarding this issue. I have contacted the store and sent a second notice to Store Management to ensure that a manager gets in touch with you within 24 hours.

Sue

Lowe's Customer Care

Received On 06/22/10 17:21:34—————————————-

Haven't heard from them yet but didn't expect otherwise…just more proof of my point.

—-

Replied On 6/21/2010 9:19:28 PM—————————————-

Good Evening Paul,

Thanks for your email. I do apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced while shopping at the Sanford, ME store, and I would like to get this addressed.

I have forwarded your e-mail to local store management so they can review this situation. They will contact you within 24 hours.

If you need additional assistance, please reply and let me know. Again, I apologize for this issue and value you as a customer.

Sue

Lowe's Customer Care

Received On 06/21/10 17:12:00—————————————-

Gentlemen,

Usually use Home Depot for all my shopping needs due to the large selection of products and awesome customer service, not the least of which is my veterans discount of 10%. I decided to try out Lowes on the off chance that I had experienced the exception and not the rule on my last visit in which I was treated very badly, rude, and wasnt given any help with my verteran;sa discount. Im sorry to say my last trip on 6/20/2010 was just as bad as I had remembered with absolutely no customer service being offered as well as having to spend a half hour in your store to demand my veterans discount even though I had my veteran proof with me but not one of your cards you were looking for (I am not Active duty or retired but a Disabled Veteran fighting for his VA benefits)> I am just letting you know that I will NOT be back and will continue to do all my shopping at the Home Depot.

2. DANIEL says:

EVERYTIME I GO TO LOWES TO BUY, I PRESENT MY MILITARY ID AND GET THE MILITARY DISCOUNT, LOWES HAS BETTER PRODUCTS AND PRICES THAN HOME DEPOT..AND WALMART….THANKS FOR LOWES///

3. Dan says:

I was at Home Depot yesterday. I asked for the military discount. The cashier and supervisor told me that they stopped giving two days ago. I was suprised and confused since I've been using the military discount for the past few months. I'm disappointed that Home Depont stop offerring their military discount in Canyon Country, CA.

Can you confirm Home Depot discontining the military discount, and at this store as well?

I guess I'll be going to Lowes from now on.

Thank you.

4. Gary says:

I was a the Home Depot store #0156 on N. Cobb Pkwy (Hwy 41) in Acworth, Georgia yesterday and I was told that "we no longer offer a military discount everyday, only on certain veteran recognized days (Memorial Day, Veteran's Day, etc) and that this was "our new national policy."

5. Jolene says:

I am an unremarried spouse of an active duty deceased. I am helping our daughter who is now an adult who lost her father when she was a child. She is rehabilitating a HUD home. It is the first home she and her deployed husband have purchased. We have been using the 10% discount for months and have made significant purchases at Home Depot. We were there recently to purchase supplies and lumber to replace rotted supports on the front porch. We were told that we have to have an active duty member with us to get the discount because of the policy change. Her husband is in Kuwait for a second deployment and we plan to have allot done before he returns. My husband (her father) died on active duty and will not be at the checkout with card in hand for the discount. The policy change is in very poor taste. We should not be reminded of our losses or told we should wait for the end of a deployment to do what needs to be done. I guess we will try Lowe's and see if they have better manners. If not, we will just check around at the small hardware stores and check pricing instead of big store all in one shopping.

6. Wife of a Soldier says:

I work at Home Depot, in management. Yes. We offer every day military discounts (10% off) with a valid, unexpired military ID. Sorry for the confusion and no, this is not a published offer.

7. Dan Kienast says:

——————————————————————————–

Letter received from Home Depot:Thank you for contacting The Home Depot Customer Care. Below I have

listed the policy for the military discount.

In reference to your e-mail, effective March 1st, 2010 we will offer,

when asked, a 10% discount, up to a $500 maximum, to all active,

reserve, retired or disabled veterans and their family members with a

valid military ID. All other military veterans will qualify for a 10%

discount during normal holiday events (e.g., Memorial Day, Veterans Day

and Independence Day).

This philosophy is consistent with our long standing price match

guarantee. Please note that The Home Depot will offer a 10% Military

discount up to $500.00 maximum. The Military discount cannot be combined

with any other promotions.

A retired veteran must have qualified and gone through retirement with

the Military. Disabled Veterans should have a Veteran's Identification

Card (VIC) that should read "Service Connected" that is given to them

from the Department of Veteran's Affairs. The VIC and their Driver?s

License should be sufficient identification to get the everyday Military

Discount.

The Home Depot is dedicated to supporting and honoring our men and women

in uniform through our business practices, recruitment efforts and

corporate contributions. We offer this discount to thank them for their

outstanding service to this nation and to help make their homes more

comfortable and safe.

If you need any further assistance or have any questions, please do not

hesitate to contact me at the number below or reply to this email.

Sincerely,

Kim Brown

Resolution Expediter Email Team

The Home Depot

1-800-654-0688 Ext. 76496

This is a letter received from Home Depot and their definition of a everyday military 10% discount. I'm a Vietnam Veteran and I only can receive a Home Depot and or Lowes Discount on only certain days. It would have been sad if I only help defend this country on only certain days, EMail or call Home Depot and or Lowes to help get our discount EVERYDAY!

8. Brad Koons says:

Sorry to hear that home depot quit giving discounts to veterans, I to am a Vietnam vet and always shopped at Home Depot because they offered the discount, but I would only ask if I was buying something expensive. I will now change my shopping to Lowes which is only 2 blocks away from Home Depot. If Home Depot offers the discount again I would reconsider.

9. Jim says:

I served my country for six years, 4 active duty and 2 in the reserves, but Home Depot doesn't deem me worthy of their 10% discount any more. I'll shop elsewhere from now on and encourage all "non-qualifying" vets (per Home Depot's new policy) to do likewise. Shame on you Home Depot. I'm guessing your corporate "big wigs" who changed this policy never even served their country.

10. Chris says:

Just found out today that home depot stopped the military discount in philadelphia , pa looks like I will be going down the street to lowes …The way I calculate it home depot will lose approximately $55,000 from me alone … Shame shame ….. 3/20/2011

11. Vincent says:

Shame on Home Depot for doing an about face on their military discount program. It was only 10% — which is way less than their typical mark-up on products. The revenue that they 'lost' from giving the military discount will be far less then they will lose when others choose to shop elsewhere. I would love to see Home Depot called out by a a politician or the media for their unpatriotic actions.

12. Henry Felstedt says:

Even though I am not retired military, I served my country 365 days a year, not only on holidays.I'm not wounded,but lived in bad conditions with poor food and pay.HFelstedt@aol.com

13. Floyd says:

I'm disapointed as well. An honorable discharge for three years active army infantry and two national guard just isn't good enough for Home Depot. As for matching their competitors apparently "just as good" has replaced better. Since there is no "better" reason for shopping at Home Depot I won't be. Lowe's is 1/2 a mile away.

14. guest says:

Home Depot will give a discount if you have a service connected disability.At least that was what I was told

15. john wiemert says:

I served 3 years in the usmc I was at home depot in somerville ma t had purchased asmall amount of merchandise and had asked for the military discount and i showed my dd214 showing my active service the manager refused it and said you must have acertain id and i did not qualify i served in the early 50;s and have mass veterans plates and still was refused i was told i either had to be active or retired i left very insulted

16. Jim says:

The current Home Depot policy letter shows a discount for veterans. The discount goes like this:
    HOLIDAYS – just verify you have either a Uniform Services ID card (tan, red, or blue), a Veterans ID Card (VIC) (not reqd to state "service connected", or a DD214 form which has honorable discharge w/another ID card to verify you are the person on the DD214.
    EVERYDAY – Uniformed Services ID card (tan,red, or blue), or Veteran's ID Card that must state "Service Connected" for disabled veterans.

The maximum discount amount is $500, and it is available on in-stock and special order purchases up to $5,000.

The discount is for personal use only, not for contractors for business use.

The discount is not combinable with other promotions or on previous purchases.

17. Barry says:

If Home Depot is "losing money", giving military discounts, how about this: Any veteran can produce a valid ID card issued by US Govt., including an honorable discharge card, PLUS another form of Id eg. Driver's license and limit the per purchase discount to $100. That would knock out the non vets and contractors who screwed this discount up in the first place.

18. Nick says:

8-11-12. I was told at Home Depot, that if I wasn't wounded in the Military, I wasn't eligable for a discount.

19. Neil Franklin says:

Home Depot can't seem to make up it's mind re: Honorable Discharge Veterans ID cards. Lately, they are saying I need an "updated" military veterans ID card – which I can't find the source of. However, most clerks honor my old card. And from what I read, Lowe's is the same. I wish I knew where to apply for a new "updated" card so I could dispense with the hassle.