At the Finance Challenge Event that I attended on Wednesday, I picked up about 30 flyers and brochures with good information on a variety of topics. I'll be sharing them throughout this week (and probably the next as well.)
Today's info comes from a Federal Trade Commission bookmark entitled Laptop Security Tips, How to Keep It from Getting Lost or Stolen. Here's what they suggest:
- Treat your laptop like cash.
- Get it out of the car…don't ever leave your laptop behind.
- Keep it locked…use a security cable.
- Keep it off the floor…or at least between your feet.
- Keep passwords somewhere else…not near the laptop or case.
- Don't leave it "for just a sec"… no matter where you are.
- Pay attention in airports…especially at security.
- Use bells & whistles…if you've got an alarm, turn it on.
I don't currently have a laptop, but I'm planning to buy one. I'm glad to know how to keep it safe.